FFR Player

Default Re: FFR Community Pack Summer 2012 Released

random anime chick
SWAG CannoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #243
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Well, I got some reviews so far up to Foxy Lady, but it's a start.

24th Century Trills - LegendaryHawke
HEAVY (9): Boring beginning & nasty ending, but it is a IIDX song. Would've prefered how you did the ending instead of the 24th trills dispersed throughout the file instead. Not a nice pun if it almost makes me fail out.
ONI (10): Failed out because 8th note jumpstream with 16ths at that speed isn't easy to read. Beginning was still boring, even if you just slapped on some hands to brighten things up.

532nm - zelda-OHYEAH
HEAVY (7): If the climax of the song is easier than the part that preceedes it, somethign is wrong. Then again, that part was just annoying due to the kicks being on 4. I never liked that about IIDX conversions and it holds up here.
ONI (8): The added jumps were welcome, but the mines felt superficial. Much better, but next time step a song that I can make fun of.

Abstract GFX v2 - wantcake & zoomzoom
STANDARD (10): YOU ARE SO FISHING IT, GET OFF THE PHONE. Not much to say. The middle part is where it got good. The worst part of the chart would be the 16th jumps at the beginning.
HEAVY (10): Failed out. Didn't expect it to be harder to be honest.

GENERIC ANIMU SONG 01 - seinfeild
NORMAL (8): Deadly slowdowns were awkward, but damn that solo is hard to AAA.
HEAVY (10): Failed out at the mine-ladden slowdown goshdamnit. The worst part about this file is that you have to keep the Xmod low in order to make the fast sections readable, but makes the slowdowns a bitch to get. Stll, the solo felt more natural and didn't stick out on this chart. I can see experts liking this.

Activation Synthesis Theroy - Boyfriend
Failed out for obvious reasons on all charts. I'm not good enough to judge this simfile.

Advent Children of Jigglypuff! loli-sama - Scyther
STANDARD (6): Solo felt underwhelimg and chart was somewhat inconsistent in the last half. Didn't like the long section of kicks on 1, but that's just me.
HEAVY (8): Opening is the only issue with this chart since it's an odd place for the hardest spot of the song.
ONI (9): Ouch. Nice chart for practice, expect for the beginning is still the hardest part of the file, you must like premature ejaculation. Also I sorta felt some copy-mirror-pasting going on in the first half.

AVON LADY - LENID7
STANDARD (7): Playing this on Xmod isn't fun. The dips in the difficulty feel really awkward, but otherwise it's fine.
HEAVY (9): Failed out at the end. Damn that climax at the end is rough.

Adroa - rogod
BEGINNER (14): Didn't make it far, but what I saw was repetitive.
STANDARD (8): Felt like beginner, but no mines, the hands were jumps and some jumps were singles. Still rather repetitive.
HEAVY (10): Looked good and wasn't too repetitive, but I failed out. Try to make you easier files more varied next time.
ONI (12): Failed due to mines, but it just looked like Heavy with mines, so yeah.

Hot sausages - rogod
ONI (9): Uncomfortable patterns did not make this fun. Impossible to Xmod too. A round of appaluse for the sync job though.

I want to home-I want to go home but I hate it there two - rogod
HEAVY (8): Simple, but fun. I can see me replaying this.
ONI (9): Failed out. Amazing what adding 16th notes can do to the difficulty.

I'd make a joke here, but the furries would kill me - b-noh
STANDARD (9): Super fun, but the 24ths after the mines are a bitch to hit.
HEAVY (12): I think everyone IS playing this chart. Failed out after the 32nd scales to the mines.
CHALLENGE (15): I need more practice before playing files this hard.

The song that called me taco, pichu & weiner - Poop rain
STANDARD (7): Ending's neat, I guess. So's that one gimmick you used. Otherwise, the whole thing's kinda boring, even for the difficulty.
HEAVY (8): Jacks and ending were nice, but the 64ths felt like they were there because you wanted 64th notes. Whole file's laking in the funmainas to be honest.

Breathing Through The Gale - wantcake
STANDARD (7): Nice background. Chart was simple, but good. The inconsistent BPM was all that bothered me.
HEAVY (8): Feels like it belongs in VGMP2, to be honest. That's a really good thing.

bukakke - zelda-OHYEAH
HEAVY (8): The 4321 patterns was tedious as all hell get out. Otherwise, it's rather lacking.
ONI (9): I woudldn't be able to find a more Japanese song unless smile.dk had children with Naoki and gave birth to kimonos. Also, it's Heavy, but more. At least it made more sense.

Kadabra Anatomy - Extraction of Vibrava - Sharlo
LIGHT (7): Really nice; the simplicity accents the song very well.
STANDARD (8): More layering, but still really good.
HEAVY (9): MORE layering, but STILL really good. The only thing that bothered me was the dying animals.

National Geographic Presents Dubstep - rogod
HEAVY (8): First half was boring. Other half was pretty good. If cut the first half out it would be a excellent chart.
ONI (11): This song is really cool, but the explosions killed me. One thing I noticed about both charts is that in the first half, you only steped the vocals at one point. Kinda felt weird.

The Counterattack of Justin & Brittney - Alexdest (sorry, I can't think of a nickname)
HEAVY (10): Really fun, if only the difficulty wasn't in the way. PLEASE MAKE AN EASIER CHART AND I"LL LOVE YOU LONG TIME.

I'm stalking you muthafuka ALL NITE - biggi40
STANDARD (7): Sorry, but I'm using my gfx for this file. The default ones look like they belong to that bubble song from the first FFR pack. Speed-ups kinda shocking at first, but it feels right considering the section of the song. The chart's made of sex and I like it (sex feels good, right?).
HEAVY (8): More layering, but it's okay. I liked the jacks in the vocal solo. More sex.

Slooooooooooooooonon - me
STANDARD (6): Never felt like x8 was ever approite until now. Ending has beatmania syndrome all over it and the climax felt kinda weird. I can understand the climax due to how it is, but it really needs some help.
HEAVY (8): The holds and the stream of 48ths was just too much for me to read; everything else is pretty neat though. BTW Scyther, I know what you mean now, I just prefer stepping simfiles with speakers so I won't worry about minute noises, and I didn't hear those beats until I played the simfile with headphones on.
ONI (10): Failed from the ending. I feel horrible, but the scoring potential is out there.

Come on me - Asian side dish
HEAVY (8): Failed out due to mine hesitation on Xmod midway thgough. On Cmod (I know, I know) the file felt good, if slightly empty, but I thought some of the mines were way to close to arrows. Maybe if you spaced out some of the mines it would be readable on Xmod. Needs a harder chart personally.

Divorce Beat -
HEAVY (8): No emphasis on the varied sounds felt kinda repetitive and the part before the climax felt like the climax. Needs polishing up, but this can be really good.
ONI (9): Lolituma part 2. No thanks.

Mathematic Prog - boyfriend
I'm too afraid to play this cause of the difficulty & Activation Synthesis Theroy reminded me of my skill level, or lake thereof.

I get it "summer" edition for the "summer" pack haHAhaHAha - b-moh
STANDARD (8): Using my gfx cause the eyes are creeping me the **** out. Climax might have been a good idea, but it diddn't really play well until you "climaxed", so to speak. By then, the song's ready to laspe into the outro. It's like a failed attempted at tantric sex, but you kept going after climaxing. I think.
ONI (10): Nice mine challenge. I think I can pass it with a few tries. Woulda been nice to have this chart with no mines as an easier chart though.

El Pet Detective - Ranch
STANDARD (7): I'll make you a CD title if you'll use it please. Also you didn't have the "This is bananas" part in there so no one will get the joke. Great. Still, the chart difficulty fluctuations is like a bitch in heat and that speed up at the beginning is pure "no FC for you" bait. And where the hell did the ending go?
HEAVY (8): Good technical chart, now that the difficulty shifts way less that Standard. the speed up's still el stupido.

Emo Buildings - End of da world fukkers - whoop no cd title nice move bra
HEAVY (10): Wow my stamina deied fasted. Felt like a generic scoring chart to me from what I saw.

Ex cal-li bur - concoct
HEAVY (9): Hey, is there an instrumental? Margarine isn't the best program for metal. Also, the artist probably exists, so you ming wanna credit them instead of a synthetic voice program. Anyways, high bpm with a slowdown with 32th steams is not fun on Xmod. Hell, none of the slowdowns were easy to read, especially the 16th jumpjacks you put at the START of a slowdown. On Cmod, the chart's nice, but think about what you're doing for Xmod players.
ONI (10): Yay, I passed a 10 footer. The jumpstream at the start was the hardest part of the chart, s other than that, nice scoring chart.
Condoct (11): Failed during the opening handstream. It's an Edit chart, so whatever.

Random Anime Chick Appears! - Pokeyman
STANDARD (7): Nice and simple. Feels old-schoolish too.
HEAVY (8): Sorta feels the same, except with some slight extra layering. Also, did you add minifreezes? I swear I can barely see them.

EXTERMINATE! DESTROY! - starcrafter
STANDARD (8): I understand that it's the main melody, but you seem to put 16th jacks in wherever was decent, which felt weird when you didn't. Chart also dragged on for a bit too. Otherwise, it's okay.
HEAVY (9): Weird mines, for sure. Kinda like Standard, only with some slight extra layering and the mine. Still pretty meh.

Far East Nightbird OHMYGOD - Scyther
STANDARD (7): There was some ghost notes here and there, but otherwise a nice chart.
HEAVY (9): Failed at the jumpstreams. Just a little personal note, the mines at the beginning felt like they should have flowed through the intro and not stop at the first note. By the way, I swear the instrumentation is rather odd, but it is just me?

foshulaidey - puyo?
HEAVY (6): Do I hear the soundbies from BREEDING or is that just me? Anyways, the only complait I have is the bg video is a little flashy for SM.
ONI (8): Stupid movie. Might as well have been a screencap on someone playing a different simfile afsasdfadasd
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #244
eastsideman09
poker face
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Incominggggggggg. Files with a * before them were ones that I particularly enjoyed, and will probably be replaying more often than the rest of the files. I enjoyed like 90% of this pack, I think it came out really good.

-24th century boy: played oni, felt a bit overdone in some areas simply for the sake of being overdone. Not bad overall.

-532nm: I enjoyed it. I like how you used the mines. Not bad.

-Abstract Art: Captured the tension of the song well, I thought. Good job :]

-Acchi de cockchi: Quit out. Not because of the steps, because they were good and went very well with the song, but the songgggggggg kjads;lfktriwerp. At the rate the file was going, im gonna assume the rest of it was fine

-Activiation synthesis theory: colorrrrrrrrrrrr, pretty cool file I guess

-Adventure of purinpoo: Wasn’t crazy about it personally, but not bad I suppose

-Avalon: yeah dude, my fingers quite enjoyed this file. Nice patterns, nice layering, and the mine speed up part made me lol idk why

-Battlefield: twas the jacks that killed me, not the mines. pretty straightforward rogstep file

*BattleJam: lolololove this file

-Bent Choral: Pretty good for the song itself. I know how it can be stepping ndad and this was pretty good.

-Bingo Highway: played heavy and enjoyed it, nice layering and patterns. Iirc I played oni in SMO and hardpain owchy failed out lol

*Bonamana: Nice little file. Short, sweet, enjoyable. also

-Breaking through the gate: Well layered, wasn’t crazy about the patterns, nice song (good sound track for this game though)

-Buki: thought I was gonna hate the song based on preview music, but it wasn’t that bad. Felt very DDR-y, and the ending drug onnnnnnnnnnnnn forever but not bad overall. I enjoyed the patterns

-Cadaver anatomy: fun file, but it didn’t capture the vibe of the song, I don’t think. However, I feel the only real way to do that would have be to make a file so bad that it would make me want to kill someone, so good job not doing that

-Centipede: I liked battlefield more.

-Charging swarm of Britney Spears: Ehhhh felt a little rigid in areas, but that’s the nature of ndad. Nice spelling too lol

*Checking you out: Very cool file! I really liked it :P

-Chronon: I remembered liking this more on SMO. Not bad overall, but I didn’t like some of the patterns, a handful of awkward jacks, mostly because of the quads

-Come on: I’m really proud of this file, even more so because I slaved over a hot SM 3.9 editor making those BPM changes. HOURSSSSSSS of holding the F keys, occasionally zoning out and having to back track to the right BPM. I’m glad to see that it’s being well received for the most part

-Couple Breaking: I’m going to say the same thing I said after I played this in SMO: Meh

-Divided by three: Pretty good file, I just don’t see myself replaying it

-Don’t mind me I’m in a minefield: I got a feel for most of the mine usage, it’s just a pain in that ass to play lol

*El Perdedor: Tengo la fiesta en mis pantalones

here forthwith begins alcohol consumption and god dam do i make a good drink

-Emotional skyscrapper: meh, it didn’t really do much for me

-Excalibur: I liked it thats p much it

*exe: wooo hooooooo still like this file. nice patterns n such

*extermination: soooo i had an idea of what this was fgoonna be like when i heard the preview music and i was right, i realllly liked this one. loovely patterns here

-Far eastside manbird: i didn't really like the freeze usage in the beginning, but thats about it, i liked the rest of the file

-foxy lady: what the god damn **** was that video. file was good but lkasdjf;ij

*Giga break: holy shit that was fun, esp the end there.

-Grave consequence: not bad, I liked it. felt a little cluttered in some places but not too much. overalll pretty good

-hanz up: pretty much spot on for the song gj

-Harvest dance: dude i like this file plus the guys name is dj kentaro which makes me think of this guy on da turntable

just imagine how sick his scratches would be chika chika wut *****

-hatsune miko nope: BAC is high enough to withstand that godforsaken genric jpop blabber voice and also high enough to inhibit myu ability to pass the file which means i guess you did good lol

-healing vision: idgaf that its healing vision personally. files good so ya

*house of plasuer: yup still like this file. gj with p much everything with it

-hunters chance: loved this song in ff9, files really fun, esp the ending with the drunms n shit. i just wish more underlying piano sounds were stepped in some parts, but that pretty muc it

-interruption: p much went with the file perfectly dude gj

-in/outro:/10

*jpeg jive: very enjoyable file, nice upbeat song, and the steps are p boss not gonna lie

-kimi no heart: file made my pits sweat, mission accomplished

-Lake bistro: song wasn't doing it for me, but that file was actually really good

*London: I just ejoy everything about this file good job /10

-magewind: i had a story going through my mind as the song was playing, twas filled with passion and romance. two starcrossed lovers meet in a new york cafe on a blind date set up by their homies. they hit it off nice and things are quite merry between the two. not long had passed before one could all but resist the others fiery passion. an entire night of gentle love making begins a journey neither will regret, a journey that will define their lives. obv the next step is marriage but that proves to be a difficult task as it is typically frowned upon to have 2 y-chromosomes at the altar. alas, not even the most condemning bible verse could stop chet and chad from being partners forever and ever. a big gay ceremony was held before a whimsical honeymoon in cancoon. Love, lust, lube, the whole shebang (well, hebang). Not long before the two decide they want to adopt and complete they're happy family just in time for hanukkah. asian culture had always piqued their interest, as shown in their adopted child (Ping-cho), and in their retirement plans to travel the wonderful land of the orient. the end (ps the file was good)

-meteetalice: files realllly fun like wow

-minus 3: didn't like it, like at all. not fond of the song, the patterns, or the layering

-miracle ****: nivce job with the steps for sure, but i just reallly am not fond with the song, so yeah

-monster: basically copy paste my story for magewind except instead of chet and chad its Cheng and Chang

-morgenglut: song was much more tolerable, and overall i liked the file more

*My unfortunate erection: absolutely fantastic /10

-mystery metropolis: felt pretty uninspired. bad freeze usage. no freezes where they would have been effective, and of the freeze you did use, like half of them felt weird like "hey why is this here"

-neurotoxin: very cool file, pretty cool song,nice job!

-Nightmare night: cool file and all, but for the love of god, was that REALLY a rap about my little pony?

*Passage D neus rmx: pretty much this

-Polar 240: pretty decent file, me gusta

-poseidon: not much to say, it was pretty good

-presenter: god damnit these videos lol. i got distracted by a chicken that apeared to be doing the moon walk

-Queen of rose: i enjoyed this more than what the preview music was suggesting that i would so i guess thats a good thing lol

-Ramua: i really liked this one. the patterns were reallyyyyy fun

-Rengtesu ouka: pretty hcill song and the steps went pretty well with it overall, nice

-RPg: meh, wasnt fond of the song, but i suppose you did nice with the steps anyway

-sayornaramatane: judging by hard, i prob would have enjoyed medium more personally, but this wasn't bad at all. song was meh for me though, so yeah

*seiken densetu: quite the pick me up, placed perfectly in the pack for my situation. boy did i need this, my buzz was beginning wearing off in the middle of the slew of japastuff (which was really when i needed it most). patterns worked nicely, and you did well with varying it enough when it got a little repetetive, but keeping enough constant to tie the patterns all together. gjjjjjj

-SoC: toooo long for me to enjoy it, but it seems like you put a lot of effort into it

-super soaker: file was pretty fun, but the song was kind stuuuuuupeddddddddd stuuuupedddddddddddddddd stuuuuuuupaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAd

-sweet drops: quit out. file was kinda bland and the song sounded like a potential theme song for an asian sitcom

-the island part 2 part 2: wouldda beeen better if it was cut. repetetive, also < rog's

-the sampling paradise: wasnt expecting gimmicks in the file lol. where there were gimmicks, they were really nice, i just wish there was more of them. patterns were nice, and overall good file, but the song was meh

-theory of eternity: nope nope nope nope nope and for god sakes those freezes ;lsakdjf

-thunderbolt: ya did what ya could with a lame song but i just was not feeling this at all

-todestreib: quit out at the js, im kinda tired of it. but you did what you could with the song, ill give you that

-tuff guy not tuff: more like ruff gay not ruff with those graphics. file was pretty fun, song was kinda weird.

-Valkyrie dimension: cool speed up and nice stops but more js hngggggggggggggg

-Vallista: decent file but boyyyy am i tired of doing these reviews

-Voice: its like i wanted to have fun with it but didnt, idk (prob getting burnt out)

-Vortex: already reviewed it and ya did pretty decent with this one iirc

-watashi wa: lkjasdflk ow. couple things i wouldda done different... would have layered in the bass/drums the second time the 32nds infected the screen, and would have varied the patterns up a little bit in some places. what really through me is that the 32nd trills were changed to something different only on the last set of them i was like wtf okay, but whatever. files too tough for me anyway rofl

*watch out: I like the song, and I find the file to be really fun. good job!

*Weapon: MOTHER ****ER IM SO MAD I WAS SOOOO ENJOYING THIS FILE IT WAS SOO GOOD AND SOO FLUENT AND JUST A;SDLKJFSA;LK AND WITH LIKE 1:30 LEFT I GET A GOD DAMN UP DATE POP UP AND ****ING FAILED OUT. Good shit though, for real. I'll have to replay later

-Show me what you got: lol jacks. song was meh, steps were alright

-Wheres bill: lol I kinda liked it

-whore: lmfao what was that song hahahaha

*Ryukotsuki: Fun file, cool song, I still enjoy it. Nice way for me to end my reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
wow ur pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
caring should be a get-outable offense
eastsideman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #245
t-rogdor
tane orb

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

I wanna say more people should review but if they did it'd be lame and stale so eh GOOD REVOUS NIGA
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #246
moches
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsideman09 View Post

What sections of mines didn't you like? I had like three different purposes for them... Aesthetics for some of the stops, background sounds to make a minefield, and dodgeball with swing gimmicks.
Oh no, all of those purposes were well-served. I'm talking about the fact that I ended up triggering some mines inadvertently just because they were too close to the notes at times. Aesthetically, they're great, but sometimes hitting random mines irked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reshiram View Post
This is all I ask for with reviews. You have no idea how tired I got with the simple 1-2 line reviews bashing this and praising kneegrow's file that did nothing to explain themselves. One of the reasons I would probably trust moches with peer reviews in the future more than any other stepartist, thanks moches. Glad you could actually decide to take a fair, objective look and pick out specific points to reference.
I'm glad my feedback helped, dude. Means a lot that you think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
would much rather put up a finished list all at once. trying to work pretty quickly, so hopefully in a day or two. nice to know at least one person will read any of it yours is great so far btw, very thorough. I'm learning quite a lot from you and the other leaders of the steppin cru.
Honored to hear that from one of the legendary veterans in the community! I try to be as helpful as possible.

Quote:
EXTERMINATE! DESTROY! - starcrafter
STANDARD (8): I understand that it's the main melody, but you seem to put 16th jacks in wherever was decent, which felt weird when you didn't. Chart also dragged on for a bit too. Otherwise, it's okay.
HEAVY (9): Weird mines, for sure. Kinda like Standard, only with some slight extra layering and the mine. Still pretty meh.
Don't mind the jacks; mostly me messing around with jack theory. I was trying to accentuate some of the dissonance in the melodies, but I guess it's kinda subtle. It flows really well, though, which I'm happy about.

Quote:
*extermination: soooo i had an idea of what this was fgoonna be like when i heard the preview music and i was right, i realllly liked this one. loovely patterns here
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #247
xVaLoRx
MYFUCKINGSOUND
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
become a ddreamer
sry i'm to dumb to figure out how to use it
Old 06-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #248
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

you don't have to figure it out there is a tutorial

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #249
moches
FFR Player

reviews part 1
reviews part 2

the fun continues...

Meteralice - yeah this is totally alright. just lacks expression and misses a lot of the song's little flourishes (though it's kinda...weighty). it's competently stepped but never really rises above decent

Minus 3 - kinda enjoyed the beats in Oni, but the jacks really don't emphasize the right stuff. very ineffective use. same issue with Heavy...the rhythms of the steps are at total odds with what's actually building up in the song.

Miracle Rush - Yume's been the go-to guy for anime simfiles nowadays, and this is another solid entry. not sure if the teal freezes are completely accurate, and mines get a bit overbearing at times. that's about it though, fun file

Monster - something about this file I couldn't quite put my finger on until that brilliant freeze section at the very end: so chill, elegant, full of texture and flow. this is an awkward file at times, but it's carried with such a sense of grace that I really can't fault it too much. great, expressive file.

Neurotoxin - first Star Trail and now this. LongGone is on his way to becoming one of my favorite stepartists. beautifully crafted file; whoever made the comparison to ODIpack2's Nightmare hit the nail on the head. deft patterns and rhythms but navigated with a sense of melodic richness and bombastic technique that seriously feels like I'm not just playing this song but playing this song, y'know what I mean but seriously this is a good file y'all and everybody should play it peace out I have a 4-page report due tomorrow but fuc that shit when I can be playing ~STEPMANIA~

Seiken Densutku - since Wine asked me, Heavy was much more fun

Thunderbolt - something that's difficult is to reconcile the two facts that 1)there is no right way to step anything but that 2)some ways may be more effective/appropriate than others. this is a song that's just begging for people to do insane stuff with it: it's high-octane and has a bunch of wicked effects to work with. this is throughout a well-stepped file, but the thing is it's not very engaging. there are some creative spurts, mostly with mines, but the pattern usage here is kinda rudimentary and doesn't really reflect the song's intensity very well. scoring files are an art of their own, but this misses the mark by a fair distance. personally, I think just having amped up the difficulty a bit more would have gotten the blood pumping a lot quicker.

that said, it is a very nice intermediate chart, excluding the trickier minework.

Giga Break - ending was quite fun. comforting chart if not as wild as I would have liked it to be.

Emotional Skyscraper - kinda shocked by how mindless this file was. part of that's the song, but this really just felt like any ol' jumpstream file.

My Unfortunate Erection - this is the best thing I have ever laid eyes on

Super Soaker - whoa at some of those long jacks. this is way harder than an 8 hahaa. very fun file, though; feels like something you would have seen in the days of Red Fraction, which definitely isn't a bad thing. freezes add a lot of life to this, and jump/hands really drive home the rhythms. jacks are maybe a wee bit intense, but minor complaint.

Voice - some of the mines were SERIOUSLY ANNOYING. great file otherwise, goes down eeeasssyyy
Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #250
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

Quote:
I have an image

now if her eyes had mines over them
only solords will get this joke
Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #251
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
reviews...?
those might be funny jokes (I would have no clue), but I fear they hurt readability. I honestly have no idea which files you're talking about.

Quote:
here forthwith begins alcohol consumption and god dam do i make a good drink
sick premise. I'm about to post super serious reviews, but maybe I'll throw in additional ones of the "posting while intoxicated" variety later on

Quote:
-super soaker: file was pretty fun, but the song was kind stuuuuuupeddddddddd stuuuupedddddddddddddddd stuuuuuuupaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAd
i see what you did there. I wouldn't expect everyone to have the same taste in music. this song in particular might be pretty hit or miss. I just hoped the beachy feel would add variety to the sounds of the pack. glad you liked the file

Quote:
*Weapon: MOTHER ****ER IM SO MAD I WAS SOOOO ENJOYING THIS FILE IT WAS SOO GOOD AND SOO FLUENT AND JUST A;SDLKJFSA;LK AND WITH LIKE 1:30 LEFT I GET A GOD DAMN UP DATE POP UP AND ****ING FAILED OUT. Good shit though, for real. I'll have to replay later
OUCH that sucks bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
Super Soaker - whoa at some of those long jacks. this is way harder than an 8 hahaa. very fun file, though; feels like something you would have seen in the days of Red Fraction, which definitely isn't a bad thing. freezes add a lot of life to this, and jump/hands really drive home the rhythms. jacks are maybe a wee bit intense, but minor complaint.
the difficulty rating is an interesting situation lol. raw nps is ~9. the basic patterns and lack of mines make it a simple AAA for me, so I guessed low on the rating. whoops.

that's cool if it plays like a Red Fraction file, because part of my stepping mindset is still set back in F4 and beyond. I've learned a ton after playing through this pack and have thought of a bunch of ways I could use new techniques while still keeping my own style.

the super long jacks were just based on pitch; I was being pretty rigid about PR at certain points. I didn't think twice about them really. I'm so used to keeping my fingers really close to the keys that I almost don't notice slow jacks. I could see how they're a bit out of place in terms of intensity. anywho, thanks for the feedback!

write-ups coming in half an hour. someone post to save me from double posting plz
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #252
t-rogdor
tane orb

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

Black people's genitals
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #253
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

ty rog.

danceguy presents: what I liked about your simfile

Everything on hardest difficulty unless otherwise noted.

24th Century BOY (LegendaryHawk) - 24ths and 32nds at the end flow nicely.

532nm (Zelda-YEH) - The jumpstream based around a trill early in the file is a lot of fun. The mines trick (all at one receptor, constant over several measures) is REALLY neat and basically the mine equivalent of one long hold. Energetic on the whole.

Abstract Art (ferrari: STANDARD) - Pretty chill. The chart makes it easy to follow and appreciate the music. Complements the harder chart quite well.
(wc: HEAVY) - The jacks are tough, but thanks to the dense color note section and some quick jumpstream, those jacks don't feel out of place difficulty-wise. Pretty brutal, just like da song.

Acchi de Kocchi de (plopadop) - The hold section during the organ bit is just really comfortable. I know it's all of like two seconds, but that really struck me haha. Fun stuff.

Activation Synthesis Theory (BynaryFission: HEAVY) - This chart is plenty tough, but it's not overstepped. That helps the player to easily follow the music. If you're gonna take the time to sync a song like this one, ya might as well let everyone listen closely. Hard work paid off, I think.

Advent of Purinpu! Satan-sama (Scylaax) - Intentionally or not, I thought the chart paid homage to Don's and Kommi's Vs Satan file. Similar, but distinct in several ways. Definitely enjoyable.

AVALON (leonid) - Awesome patterns in the long jumpstream at the end. I really felt like I was playing along with the music. Since when do you make any easy-ish files ??

Battlefield (Rog) - I think I prefer beginner to oni, joke chart or not. The toughest patterns keep the difficulty closer to the mine portions. Thank you for laying off the mines during those note-dense portions. It's a dodge-wub file. I'm a fan, personally.

BattleJam (Rog) - Wow, sick song choice. Excellent sync. Patterns are fun, and mines are kept in check. I'll be playing this one again for sure.

Bent Choral (Rog) - The part where the notechart falls back to quarter notes really caught my attention. You could have easily thrown in everything you hear in the music at that time, but based on the course of the song itself, laying off for a while works MUCH better. Straightforward and fun.

Bingo Highway (Remix ver.) (bmah) - Not many hard pain charts manage to flow this well. The chart is still expressive through its patterns, too. The patterns during the intro are pitch-perfect and are super fun. WILL I EVER AA THIS? (prob not)

BONAMANA (Profraine) - The hands section is a total joy. 'Nuff said.

Breaking Through The Gate (wc) - The holds are distinct and accurately depict the sounds in the music. Pretty easy and relaxing. Cool music.

buki (Zelda-YEH) - The long holds, handstream, minijacks, and every other pattern all work cohesively. Pattern repetition manages to draw attention to the music instead of putting me to sleep. Really fun.

Cadaver Anatomy - Extraction Of Viscera (Charlo) - Never thought I would enjoy grindcore in any context, haha. Glad you proved me wrong. The 32nds all in sets of 3 notes make up a consistent theme. Tons o' fun.

Centipede (Rog) - Dubstep dodgeball. Squeaking by during my first pass reminded me of the first time I passed Jordan in Guitar Hero 2. Mine density forces you to play smart and cut your losses... unless you're good enough to breeze through the whole thing. sup leonid.

Charging Swarm of Mousketeers (AlexDest) - The 8th jacks in the chorus-type-thing make this file shine. Anything else would feel wrong after playing this one. Cool song.

Checking You Out (mi40) - Miniholds and mines contribute some new-school flavah. On the other hand, dropping everything else in favor of the vocals during the chorus hearkens back to old keyboard files and even DDR charts. All in all, plays very nicely.

Chronon (Antronach) - Nicely crafted to work with the music. I was worried the formula would get stale, but the mines at the end provided a perfect change of pace. Good work.

Come on (eastsideman09) - My new favorite xmod file, or at least tied for that award with Session. Most of the tricks let the notes come on screen, so players can actually read what's coming. Those notes usually show exactly what rhythm to play based on color, which is another huge plus. Fantastic song choice.

Couple Breaking (LegendaryHawk: HEAVY) - The climax of the chart fits the song and is hardly watered down from the same section in oni. Well balanced.

Divided By Three (BynaryFission) - The bass solo kicks MAJOR ass, and you stepped it wonderfully. Colors, sync, all that jazz. I wish I knew how to make stuff like this.

DON'T WAKE ME FROM THE DREAM (2010 Summer Edition) (bmah) - Mine buildup. Cool idea, and very good execution. I think I've played this file the most out of the whole pack thus far, because I whored it till I could pass. Hah.

El Perdedor (iRanch) - Polyrhythms often distract me from the most prominent element being stepped, but the polyrhythms here really bring out the percussion. Fun and replayable. Maybe the most unique song choice in the pack? I'm a fan.

Emotional Skyscraper ~ Worlds End (GD & Niko) - Relentless. I had fun, and last time I checked, that's what matters.

Excalibur (condoct) - The hold sections flow very naturally. Quite an agreeable simfile.

EXE (Reshiram) - Triples are used sparsely, so they have a serious impact. I like this song, and I'm glad I won't have to go search for Eggman's file. This one's newer and better.

EXTERMINATION (moches) - Holds on grace notes look super cool, and they're quite fun to hit. The file's tracky but not brutal at all. The ending (quad, holds, mines) are genius.

Far East Nightbird (Scylaax) - These holds add difficulty in a unique way. Normally I see "here's a long hold. Now hit some junk with the other keys." Here we have something different, and I quite enjoy the change.

Foxy Lady (Draco Centauros) - The minijacks make the chart more exciting without breaking up its flow. Quaint simfile.

GIGA BREAK (melonid) - So there's this one pattern where there are sets of three 32nds all ending in jumps, and these sets are barely spaced apart, right? That little portion of the chart is WICKED fun. Fun stuff on the whole.

Grave Consequence (Gundam-Dude) - The patterns, mine density, jumps... everything presented is extremely fair to the player. If you can't hit this stuff, it's your fault. (Not that you should feel guilty! Just keep practicing.)

Hanz Up! (Lynn) - Love the song choice. The mines, while few, are very tough to avoid. I mean that in a good way, haha. Nicely done.

Harvest Dance (Anaru & hi19hi19) - I know GD said this file should have holds and mines and this and that, but having ONE file that's limited to plain arrows helps, not hurts, the pack. That's the way I see it. The song is catchy and lends itself to interesting rhythms. The sections with all triples are pure fun.

Hatsune Miku no Shoushitsu -Gekijouban- (leonid) - Not layering in ALL the sounds, notably the piano, shows a lot of restraint. A couple of breaks in the chart give the player a chance to recover. With patterns this crazy, there's no need for stamina draining. Accurate, fun, one-of-a-kind.

Healing Vision Rmx (Reshiram) - Mid-chart, we get a sudden switch to far fewer notes and a heavy dose of mines (and back to more notes, fewer mines). That's a pretty neat effect, methinks.

House of Pleasure (iRanch) - Yayyyyyy for the song choice! I want more modern rap files. Raggaeton makes for some cool layering. Super-fast rolls in sets of 4 are mad fun. I like the decision to lay off the trips/quads here. The chart doesn't feel cluttered whatsoever.

Hunters Chance (Baq12) - Layering in the bongos at the end was a nice touch. Cool song.

Interrupt (Torrent) - SONG CHOICE. THIS RULES. The music is atmospheric as hell, and the simfile reinforces the mood. Lots of holds, which works well here. Props for going the extra mile and making three charts. That can be tough with a song like this one, because you can't just water everything down to red/blue notes.

Intro Outro (xVaLoRx) - The quad-hold at the BPM stop rickrolled me hard. Nice one. Song choice is way out there. You've got my respect.

JPEG Jive (Kommisar) - Sections with doubles that minijack into triples with holds (wow what) are mega fun and unique. Will revisit frequently so that I may jam out to this tune. There's an ITG roll somewhere in there? Kool (o:

Kimi no Heart ni Lock-on (bmah) - The speedy 12th sections are a blast to play. You've got a serious knack for making enjoyable scoring files.

Lake Bestriel (Antronach) - I was afraid there would be nothin' but jackhammers when I heard the sample. Minijacks and jumpgluts were a much better decision. The song is really neat, so thanks for sharing.

London (AlexDest) - Mines, triples with two holds that lead into more notes, and other such insanity. Everything the file throws at you will keep you on your toes. Sweet song choice.

Magewind (BynaryFission: HEAVY, EDIT) - Great sync job. Edit works well as a scoring chart, which can be tough to pull off with long instrumentals like this one. I then came back for the music and played the heavy chart. Even the easier chart ain't for slouches, youch. I think I might play the heavy chart most often; I want to relax and enjoy this jam. Excellent song choice.

Meteralice (Kaneh) - The minijacks play well and correspond directly to the music. Keysmashin' fun.

Minus 3 (LegendaryHawk) - NVLM in da house...? Props for making 5 charts.

MIRACLE RUSH (Yume) - Very consistent difficulty-wise, with mild spikes where appropriate. Flows well and fits the song like a glove. Wish the video worked for me :'(

Monster (WTFBrandon) - Holds were certainly necessitated by the music. You then took it upon yourself to fit these holds into patterns that add both difficulty and fun. How thoughtful!

Morgenglut 2012 (Yume) - Superfast rolly sections are blissfully fun. Hmmmm, hard pain minijacks? I'll take a dozen. Fun fun fun.

My Unfortunate Erection (Detrimentalist) - I had a stupid grin during my whole playthrough. Why did you step this so well? I wanna know WHYYYYY-AAAYYY-AAYYYY

Mystery Metropolis (Kaneh) - Grunge? In my StepMania pack? It's more likely than you think... and more enjoyable, too. Really really easy, which is a tremendous change of pace from just about every keyboard file ever. Hands are used effectively. A worthy contribution as far as I'm concerned.

Neurotoxin (LongGone) - Between the drum 'n bass 16ths, the holds, and some well-placed mines, there's always something fun and fresh going on. The jumps at the beginning that alternate between 12 and 34 play smoothly. Those light blue notes that signify quiet drums? Those are now my favorite purely aesthetic color notes in any file I've played. I didn't exactly "get" the idea of using 192nds (right?) for visuals. Now I do. The whole chart flows beautifully. Highly replayable.

Nightmare Night (megamon88) - The patterns flow very nicely. The grace notes are really fun. Ain't nothin' here but a rock solid simfile. Move along, folks.

Passage D(Neus Remix) (wc) - oh my god this is so chill. Playing a file called "Passage D" that isn't stupidly difficult makes me all warm and tingly. Hold usage is quite creative. The quad mines are ultra cool. Hell to the yeah.

Polar 240 (Baq12) - What's this? I see a simfile with all 8th notes! Some may find such a file to be boring, but I'd say it's bold and adds variety to the pack. Cool song. Don't think I've ever disliked anything from Paragon9x. There's some nice jumpglut practice for those who are just arting to learn the pattern. I can't think of any other examples, really. Neat-o.

Poseidon (Kors K Mix) (Gameoson) - Layering in the bass kick had a pronounced effect. That's a common technique, but the result here is remarkable. The two green-note holds really show your attention to detail by highlighting a very high pitch. Nicely done overall.

PRESENTER (Lynn) - Flowy patterns. Cool hands. Adorable bg video. Excellent.

Queen of Rose (mi40) - I liked how you avoided placing generic 16th streams to some of the quiet synth/piano sounds. Everything else in the music is more pronounced, and you took notice. Solid.

Ramua (Scylaax) - Not at all overstepped. Thank goodness. The chart fits the mood and intensity of the music very well. Thanks for giving us a great chart to go along with the fantastic song.

Rengetsu Ouka (Gundam-Dude) - I feel like this file brings stepping elements from different eras together. We've got really basic 32nd rolls that have been used for years and years, jumpstream/handstream that's been all the rage for some time now, and a few mines and color notes to supply the visuals delivered by modern-day simfiles. Expertly crafted.

RPG (Gundam-Dude) - I've been in denial for too long... it's time to face facts. People play with cmods. EVERYONE plays with cmods. Mines and artificial color notes are a better way to express abrupt silence. Can't wait to play this simfile again.

Sayonaramatane (Scylaax) - In the first half of the bass solo, I see no notes, no mines, nothing at all. That has a really cool effect here, especially when contrasted with the majority of files in this pack. The BPM tricks worked well and didn't result in random difficulty injections.

Seiken Densetsu - Final Battle (Wineandbread) - The mine sections are super duper cool. The level of difficulty is pretty constant throughout. I had a whole lotta fun.

SoC (BynaryFission) - Again, fantastic syncing. The solos are highlighted really well. There are some tough patterns, but none are anywhere near impossible. A daring song and a daring simfile. Won't be long before I play this one again.

Sweet Drops (LongGone) - chill. Didn't force difficulty anywhere. Nice mine usage. Adorable background. I was glad to discover this song wasn't trashy dubstep made by a 15-year-old kid. The title had me worried. ANYWAY I like this file a lot.

The Island Pt. 2 (Yotipo) - Minijacks are used effectively. The song is so sick that I don't mind having two copies of it in my stepmania directory.

The Sampling Paradise (Kommisar) - The BPM tricks are seriously tough. This chart is one of very few from the pack that I couldn't manage to sightread AA. The tricks do fit and work well, though. The chart itself: simple, straightfoward, highly enjoyable.

Theory of Eternity (WTP, Zy, CHA, Fly) - Cool idea to spread the song around and make one chart per person. Clever idea for the cdtitle. Do the colors match those of sm5 though? haha.
(WTP: LIGHT) - Neat idea with the mine-trailed holds. This mechanism basically forces timed hold releases. There's a really tough jack somewhere in there. Can't you at least let me AAA the easiest chart? I kid, I kid
(Zelda-YEH: STANDARD) - New-school. I like how this chart doesn't force notes; you were willing to sit back and let mines do the talking at certain points. The right arrow trapped inside a minefield fits the music well.
(CHA CHA: HEAVY) - Simple, clean. The mid-jumpstream minijacks work well. I wouldn't have thought of including those. Sensible patterns are used throughout the chart.
(Fly: ONI) - The long holds in the holdstream sections are VERY tricky. One thing I found interesting: during a couple sections, this chart is the easiest out of the four. It's absolutely the toughest overall, though. I'm quite fond of this chart. It's a fun challenge!

Thunderbolt (Zelda-YEH) - Mines all aimed at one receptor during the alarm sounds make for a super cool effect. On the whole, I would descripe the notechart as bouncy. That's also how I would describe the song. Well done.

Todestrieb (Yume) - EPIC INTRO. Cool mine usage. Very tough but very fun long holds. Nice ending. Yep, that all means I really liked this one.

Tuff Guy Not Tuff (Yotipo) - Best. Song. Choice. Faith No More? Sonic 3? The B-52s? That's one godly mashup. Nice going with the notechart. Fun swing, fun mines, fun slow jumpgluts. Did I mention it's fun?

Valkyrie Dimension (hi19hi19) - Fun dense jumpstream. The ending DOES fit in context when the file is xmodded, because the player will already have been trolled by that point. Fine by me. Also fine on cmod, but I sure hope you can trill with your left hand faster than I can.

VALLISTA (LongGone) - The 32nds are very smooth. Cool mines. The miniholds on trips/quads work fabulously. You sure know how to get someone to play your files more than once.

Voice (Niko) - Trips, miniholds, everything in the chart feels very natural. Absolutely nothing in question. Good, good stuff.

Vortex (Torrent) - Experimental, and I'd say it definitely worked out. The walls aren't unreasonable by any means. I think you're the king of stepping dark, sprawling songs with uneven meters.

Watashi Wa Mizuki Desu (Rin-Dude) - Very high on my list of well-constructed scoring files. Hard pain. The transition between 32nd streams and trills always catches me off guard... gotta work on this one. The part with a ton of mines is really really cool.

Watch Out Pt. 2 (rparty89) - What fun! The jumpstream is flowy. The 24ths are tricky in a good way. How I'd describe the chart: "loosey goosey." Cool song.

Weapon (Kommisar) - FUN FUN FUN. Fantastic song choice. This one works particularly well as a scoring file because it only has patterns that all spread players should already have in their repertoires - no long sets of jacks, one hand trills, long holds, nothin' - but remains tough just due to constant variation and unwavering difficulty. Replayable as all hell.

What You Got (lurker) - Mines used well. Cool song choice. You said this is unplayable? I don't have a real problem with short jacks at 170bpm, personally.

Where's Bill (mi40) - Whoa, colors everywhere. Loads of fun. Tricky, but not hard pain. Props for making two charts for such a crazy song.

Whore (Xayphon) - ahahahaha you pick the best songs, seriously. I liked how the breaks in the song weren't bombarded with mines. If the song is chillaxin' for a bit, so is the notechart. Then things get hectic as hell again just as fast as they stopped. Such a blast.

[getsufumaden] ryukotsuki -yks Remix- -Exhaust- (Gpop) - Maybe the most steppable song I've ever heard...? You did this one justice and more. I was at first disappointed by the decision to use mines instead of BPM tricks, but you totally changed my mind by ramping up the mines later on and carefully guiding the difficulty level. Seriously excellent.

Last edited by dAnceguy117; 06-24-2012 at 07:01 PM..
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #254
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Quote:
[getsufumaden] ryukotsuki -yks Remix- -Exhaust- (Gpop) - Maybe the most steppable song I've ever heard...? You did this one justice and more. I was at first disappointed by the decision to use mines instead of BPM tricks, but you totally changed my mind by ramping up the mines later on and carefully guiding the difficulty level. Seriously excellent.
Would use BPM gimmix

But then remembered C-mod players everywhere

It's also super steppable because it's from a Bemani rhythm game :V
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #255
eastsideman09
poker face

Quote:
Come on (eastsideman09) - My new favorite xmod file, or at least tied for that award with Session. Most of the tricks let the notes come on screen, so players can actually read what's coming. Those notes usually show exactly what rhythm to play based on color, which is another huge plus. Fantastic song choice.
This was another thing I was aiming to do. I always hated it when xmod files would completely trip me up like 90% of the time. I was trying for a good combination of xmod and playability.
Quote:
wow ur pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
caring should be a get-outable offense
eastsideman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #256
DefTeaMachine
beatboxing ninja hobo
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Well crap I was late for this
DefTeaMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #257
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

dants guy made some good reviews. I like your style bro, thanks for the words <3

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #258
xferrarix
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to xferrarix

ty for da positive reviews on my file $$

this is my face to every post above mine and on pages prior

xferrarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #259
moches
FFR Player

very nice reviews danceguy! you went into detail on every file, and I think that it's important to mix in positive feedback with the negative. that was a lovely read.

it's 4:43AM, and if I can finish my report before 6:30 I'll play a few more files
Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #260
moches
FFR Player

more reviews! I say, more!

Intro Outro - BPM changes used to great effect here. simple but very fun, rolls off the fingers nicely. some freezes could have been placed better to make the file more readable.

RPG - fun, technical, flowy. not much to say here.

Sweet Drops - this file just makes me really happy. easy but adorable and fun. rainbows/10 (that said, it's a bit simplified at parts, missing a few details in the layering. I actually prefer it that way as it gives the file a reliable structure, but others might disagree)

at this point, this is BY FAR my favorite of the season packs

Last edited by moches; 06-24-2012 at 04:46 PM..