Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-2-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
cedolad
moonchild~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to cedolad
Default (sin)bird - A Motion

Hey guys, I just finished working on this dance type song with a friend. This is our first attempt at producing anything, feedback is well appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/signofbird/a-motion

Song: A Motion
Artist: (sin)bird

Thanks!
Old 01-2-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: (sin)bird - A Motion

For a first attempt at producing two thumbs up!

The biggest thing that I noticed was that the bassline was really muddy pretty much the entire time. Using different (higher) notes would fix that/ changing some pitches/waveforms around in the synth (that sounded like massive, its massive yeah?).
midnghtraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
cedolad
moonchild~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
Not bad for a first try. It sounds like you guys have some sort of musical theory background, so that helps.

What I would start working on now is thinking about the overall flow and emotional map of your songs. Think about how a listener should feel at certain sections or instances in the song. Compare it to your other favorite electro/dubstep songs and write out emotional anaylsis charts of them to help you understand better.
Thanks, we were really going to look into add flow and structure more emotion into our songs now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnghtraver View Post
For a first attempt at producing two thumbs up!

The biggest thing that I noticed was that the bassline was really muddy pretty much the entire time. Using different (higher) notes would fix that/ changing some pitches/waveforms around in the synth (that sounded like massive, its massive yeah?).
It's Massive haha, I really don't know a whole lot about producing synths, if you could point me to the direction of where to find some tutorials or anything that would be great!

And thank you for the feedback

Last edited by cedolad; 01-2-2013 at 09:36 PM..
cedolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedolad View Post
It's Massive haha, I really don't know a whole lot about producing synths, if you could point me to the direction of where to find some tutorials or anything that would be great!

And thank you for the feedback
Honestly, I'd stay as far away from youtube tutorials as I could. All they really do is tell you how to make a certain sound, then everything starts sounding that way, effectively ONLY making you more comfortable with Massive, which can be achieved much more easily by just exploring it yourself.

When using Massive, the best advice I could give you is probably THINK SIMPLE, Massive offers you a lot of different crap to mess with, and most people's problem is that they try and use everything, which just results in a convoluted sound that may be cool, but is often times just muddy or obnoxious.

A more specific variation of the above advice is that you have 3 different oscillators. That doesn't mean you need to use all 3 every time. I often find myself only using 2 oscillators and getting a much more powerful sound. Example <-- all bass synths are made with 2 oscillators.

Lastly, CLICK ON THE "VOICES" TAB! Something as simple as making your synth 2 voices instead of 1 and changing the pan position can add A TON of depth to your sounds (also see: Demension expander).

Hope ^that^ all made sense lol

Edit: And oh yeah, check out some other VST's as well! NI's Razor has similar mechanics to Massive if you're already somewhat comfortable with it. NI's FM8 is a whole different kind of synthesis, but can result in some really cool sounds (also good for synthesizing drums). Izotope's Ozone is a bunch of mastering tools put into one VST. It has 2 different very powerful parametric EQ's, compressors, limiters, a harmonic exciter, and even reverb. All of that will help your final mix sound really professional!

Last edited by midnghtraver; 01-2-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Old 01-2-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
cedolad
moonchild~

Quote:
Honestly, I'd stay as far away from youtube tutorials as I could. All they really do is tell you how to make a certain sound, then everything starts sounding that way, effectively ONLY making you more comfortable with Massive, which can be achieved much more easily by just exploring it yourself.

When using Massive, the best advice I could give you is probably THINK SIMPLE, Massive offers you a lot of different crap to mess with, and most people's problem is that they try and use everything, which just results in a convoluted sound that may be cool, but is often times just muddy or obnoxious.

A more specific variation of the above advice is that you have 3 different oscillators. That doesn't mean you need to use all 3 every time. I often find myself only using 2 oscillators and getting a much more powerful sound. Example <-- all bass synths are made with 2 oscillators.

Lastly, CLICK ON THE "VOICES" TAB! Something as simple as making your synth 2 voices instead of 1 and changing the pan position can add A TON of depth to your sounds (also see: Demension expander).

Hope ^that^ all made sense lol
This all makes a lot of sense, I don't think I was looking at the voicing tab when I first started working on this, so I'm gonna go back and experiment a bit with it. And I totally forgot about the dimension expander, I remember it being rather effective.

Thanks for the input my friend.
Old 01-3-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

that was dope, but you guys filled 3:36 nicely
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
cedolad
moonchild~

Quote:
Edit: And oh yeah, check out some other VST's as well! NI's Razor has similar mechanics to Massive if you're already somewhat comfortable with it. NI's FM8 is a whole different kind of synthesis, but can result in some really cool sounds (also good for synthesizing drums). Izotope's Ozone is a bunch of mastering tools put into one VST. It has 2 different very powerful parametric EQ's, compressors, limiters, a harmonic exciter, and even reverb. All of that will help your final mix sound really professional!
Hey thanks for the suggestion of Ozone, it's really awesome so far. I'll have to check out FM8 and Razor.

I'm looking for a good analog type synth, any VST's you could recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
Agreeing with what raver said, I'd add on that distortion goes a damn long way. Understanding the emotional context of different distortions, how they effect the instrument sonically, etc. can go a very long way. It can really bring out the uniqueness.
Okay I'll really have to look into that and experiment, thanks a whole bunch to the two of you guys giving me a lot of feedback.
Old 01-3-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedolad View Post
Hey thanks for the suggestion of Ozone, it's really awesome so far. I'll have to check out FM8 and Razor.

I'm looking for a good analog type synth, any VST's you could recommend?
Well, sorta the point of analog is to NOT use a VST (right?). However, I have a technique using reverb that makes synths sound a bit more analog-y.

If you copy those settings, you can then mess around with the room size and diffusion to get a more analog sounding synth than before. Still nothing like using a good old moog rack though...
Old 01-3-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

Sounds better on your system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
blindreper1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
cedolad
moonchild~

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindreper1179 View Post
Yeah a big mistake on our part haha, I should really invest in better quality monitors, using that big thing is gonna hurt production.
Old 01-3-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindreper1179 View Post
agreed, but only because I lack humongous speakers. haha. definitely gonna bump this in the car sometime.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote