Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #1121
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Soooooo it finally happened and I hurt my knee during a squat. Nothing major or anything, but it just goes to show you that my form is leaving something to be desired somewhere
Sounds like you need a break from the squats.

How's the weight loss going? That's all the matters anyway.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #1122
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
You hurt your knee? Have you been going up in weight?

Dude, its not going to get better by having us tell you, just gotta keep practicing.

If you overthink it then you're more likely to cause injury to yourself. Just work with what you're able to, and try to go a little lower each time.
Bar's hard enough. Adding weight = nope.avi. It still renders me a hobbling old man for a few days.

I understand that practice is key but I suspect that if I am hurting my knee *without any weight on the bar*, my form is wrong and potentially dangerous. I always hear that not sitting back/deep enough causes pressure on the knee and this is precisely what happened in this case. I need to figure out wtf I am doing wrong because it's driving me insane. It feels like no matter what angle I drop down at, or how I bend, or where I put my butt, or how I stretch out certain muscles... apparently it's all just *wrong*. It's always "sit back more!" and it's like... ffs, it's like I'm supposed to defy gravity or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Sounds like you need a break from the squats.

How's the weight loss going? That's all the matters anyway.
Unfortunately not great. Still in the 220's. Weight actually went back up a bit. Motivation is pretty much at zero right now due to all this frustration over form. I am becoming more and more convinced that I just don't have enough muscle to perform certain exercises correctly yet. Can't even do bodyweight squats properly. As a result, I'm pretty much at a loss for wtf I should be doing.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 11-14-2012 at 10:43 AM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #1123
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Unfortunately not great. Still in the 220's. Weight actually went back up a bit. Motivation is pretty much at zero right now due to all this frustration over form. I am becoming more and more convinced that I just don't have enough muscle to perform certain exercises correctly yet. Can't even do bodyweight squats properly. As a result, I'm pretty much at a loss for wtf I should be doing.

You should be dieting.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. You have no muscle memory to take advantage of in the gym, so eating at caloric deficit will build fuck all in terms of muscle. The point of exercising is to get yourself back into shape, so pick exercises you LIKE and can perform comfortably, because what you're doing doesn't really matter at this point.

Diet is 1000x more important and you should really get it back into check if you've gained weight. Drop exercising if you have to for the time being. Dieting proper is ESSENTIAL and everything else is MEANINGLESS without it.

I mean, that's the whole point of this. To lose body fat. If the scale isn't going down, it doesn't matter if you can squat correctly or not. That # has to go down, so you need to start eating less.

Oh, and I'll burst another bubble while I'm at it: Form doesn't matter.

Proper form helps to prevent injuries but in terms of building muscle it means jack all. You can lift like a retard for all I care, as long as you aren't hurting yourself and you're blasting the muscles you want to hit it just doesn't matter. Look at Jason Huh (bane from earlier). He squats like 2 inches. I'd like someone to tell him he's doing it wrong.

Instead of fretting about it, just go do some leg press, leg extensions and leg curls.

Squats aren't important unless you're a bodybuilder.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...eithHodge1.jpg

This guy has never squatted in his life and he's way bigger than me.

Last edited by Reach; 11-14-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #1124
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
You should be dieting.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. You have no muscle memory to take advantage of in the gym, so eating at caloric deficit will build fuck all in terms of muscle. The point of exercising is to get yourself back into shape, so pick exercises you LIKE and can perform comfortably, because what you're doing doesn't really matter at this point.

Diet is 1000x more important and you should really get it back into check if you've gained weight.

I mean, that's the whole point of this. To lose body fat. If the scale isn't going down, it doesn't matter if you can squat correctly or not. That's meaningless. That # has to go down, so you need to start eating less.
Or even just stay the same and lean out. Carb cycling, carb nite, keto, intermittant eating, whatever you have to do. I'm going to say this again, and I know you aren't going to do it: write down EVERYTHING you eat. EVERYTHING. If you drink a diet coke, write it down. If you have a regular coke, write it down. If you eat 5 peanuts, write that shit down. Then post it up and let's see what's going on.

Again, if you're putting a lot of pressure on your knees, dont go so low. You arent going to develop it if you keep hurting yourself. Do wall squats, do whatever, dont sit there and keep doing it and then psyching yourself out because you can't do one thing.

Did 1350 for 15 reps on leg press today. Pretty much I have enough room for 2 or 3 more plates per side and then I'm maxed out, if not less. Pretty exciting.

Last edited by Senip; 11-14-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #1125
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

none of my pants fit anymore

im kind of mad because i own zero belts
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #1126
Senip
Forum User

Hahaha, I had to start wearing gym shorts/sweat pants everywhere because I have no money for fitted pants that would work.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #1127
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

im not even going to have any money for a belt until like next month lol. ive either had one hand on my pants most of the day or i use a shoelace.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #1128
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
You should be dieting.

Diet is 1000x more important and you should really get it back into check if you've gained weight. Drop exercising if you have to for the time being. Dieting proper is ESSENTIAL and everything else is MEANINGLESS without it.

I mean, that's the whole point of this. To lose body fat. If the scale isn't going down, it doesn't matter if you can squat correctly or not. That # has to go down, so you need to start eating less.

Oh, and I'll burst another bubble while I'm at it: Form doesn't matter.

Proper form helps to prevent injuries but in terms of building muscle it means jack all. You can lift like a retard for all I care, as long as you aren't hurting yourself and you're blasting the muscles you want to hit it just doesn't matter. Look at Jason Huh (bane from earlier). He squats like 2 inches. I'd like someone to tell him he's doing it wrong.

Instead of fretting about it, just go do some leg press, leg extensions and leg curls.

Squats aren't important unless you're a bodybuilder.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...eithHodge1.jpg

This guy has never squatted in his life and he's way bigger than me.
Also, Branch Warren. Dude is a monster, and he has the worst form ever.

I just want him to work the form because it's a lot easier to hurt yourself when you don't have all that dense muscle cushioning you.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #1129
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

What is your opinion of dumbbell squats, Senip? (for someone like me -- the kind where you just hold the dumbbells down at your sides)

Reach:

I think I've seen him before... is that the same guy here?

Last edited by Reincarnate; 11-14-2012 at 01:19 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #1130
Senip
Forum User

Yeah, they're toolbags spreadin the bro sciences.

I dunno, I usually don't do them like that, if I do db squats I get one heavy one and do goblet squats. They hurt like a motherfucker.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #1131
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

i wanted to punch them in the face wow that was annoying to watch
Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #1132
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
What is your opinion of dumbbell squats, Senip? (for someone like me -- the kind where you just hold the dumbbells down at your sides)

Reach:

I think I've seen him before... is that the same guy here?

Yes.

Everyone has an opinion on them, but I like them, for a few reasons.

1. They're actually honest
2. They're usually right (and who the fuck is right all the time anyway)
3. They've got great physiques for natural lifters their age. People can actually look like this without taking steroids, unlike most of the fitness shit you'll see.

I followed a lot of their advice when I started and got lots of gains. I think they're a good channel for beginners, but hey, you can always apply their motto if you don't like em

Anyway, their leg routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrT_9...2&feature=plcp

You could always just do something like this, Rubix. As you can see from the above, your legs will develop nicely without doing squats. Squats are nice, but at the end of the day, I wouldn't sweat it, at least not until you get you lose more weight.

Last edited by Reach; 11-14-2012 at 02:58 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #1133
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

There is nothing wrong with Hodge twins in my opinion. Sure they might not be on the ball on everything, but for the most part they are pretty experienced. Besides people have always criticized people who do things differently then the norm. Where would we be today if people didn't try new things?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #1134
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

im not saying they arent experienced or knowledgeable they just sound like tards
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #1135
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
im not saying they arent experienced or knowledgeable they just sound like tards
They do, and most of the knowledgeable people who lift despise them, because a lot of peeps come in, watch their videos, and then hurt themselves. Especially coaches I work out with, they are always ranting about how the Hodges Twins hurt one of their clients.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #1136
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

In what way did the client get hurt based on advice from the twins? What do the coaches rant about specifically?

I'm mainly trying to separate presentation from content, here.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #1137
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
They do, and most of the knowledgeable people who lift despise them, because a lot of peeps come in, watch their videos, and then hurt themselves. Especially coaches I work out with, they are always ranting about how the Hodges Twins hurt one of their clients.
I'm curious, what exactly was the advice that caused injury? I've watched almost all of their videos and haven't come across anything that I would consider 'wrong' other than some of their advice on creatine. I haven't seen them recommend any dangerous exercises; if anything most of their exercise advice is pretty conservative and safe IMO. Hell, they actually have a video where they address the fact that they try and keep their advice conservative because they know most of their subscribers are noobs.

They sound butthurt about their # of subscribers. There are plenty of fitness channels on youtube that are just plainly deceitful.

I mean, anecdotally I followed their advice and got, you know, all kinds of gains, so maybe these individuals took the 'do whatever the fuck you want to do' advice a little too literally??

And I'm pretty sure at least 75% of their presentation is an act. I mean, comeon people. They're trying to get viewers. Their introduction and retarded sayings are half the reason they're famous, given how they've permeated the lifting community (holy shit I catch myself saying I'm getting ALL KINDS OF FUCKIN GAINS all the time >_>)

Matt Ogus and Chris Jones have entertaining channels as well.

Last edited by Reach; 11-15-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Old 11-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #1138
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
holy shit I catch myself saying I'm getting ALL KINDS OF FUCKIN GAINS all the time >_>
Old 11-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #1139
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Every time I need someone for a debate, I'm grabbing Reach
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #1140
Senip
Forum User

They said that a lot of people have had issues with going past their limits, overdoing it on 1MR, tearing shoulder muscles/etc from suggestions from the Hodges.

Reincarnate, do you have a hack squat? That's viable, Dorian Yates did hacks all the time he was winnin Olympias.