Old 11-15-2016, 12:21 AM   #1
LHB
FFR Player

Default LHB's Skillboosting Thread

Hey there, everyone. I came back to playing Stepmania a couple weeks ago after not playing for probably years, so I figured I would show my progress here. My ultimate goal is to be able to play the hardest files out there. I like playing hard stuff, and it's that drive that makes me want to push myself constantly to see what I can do. The smleaderboards site has really helped me set a clear path of progression of what files to play.

Images are in chronological order.

Got this almost a week ago. I probably couldn't have AA'd this file when I used to play.

I can shave a few more CBs off of this and reduce the Great count.

These types of jack are the only ones I can really do at the moment.

Ugh, I'm so bad at that ending part with all the jumps. I have no idea how people are able to AA this on rates.

My first real jumpstream score.

Files like this with tons of jumps and hands everywhere really help me with jacks and jumpstreams, which are definitely my weakest areas.

Yes, it's a pad file, but still quite a nice speed/stamina score for me. I had troubles simply passing this when I used to play.

A lot of really fast stuff and js bits in this makes the A good enough for now. AA will come soon though.

Pretty happy with this score honestly. This file is still hard for me and I don't know why the hell it's only a 10.

Just got this today. Honestly can't believe I'm starting to be able to do 220BPM jumpstreams.
LHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
LHB
FFR Player

Default Re: LHB's Skillboosting Thread

Haven't played as much as I wanted to due to moving and school picking up, but I feel like I've gotten better at hitting denser jumpstream patterns.

Score dump incoming.

Rates.

Bursty.

Slow js.

Meh. Didn't get the AA like I wanted, but I can't hit enough of the fast parts accurately.

I seem to play these types of files a lot. I don't know why!

Fun file. If I can AA this it will be a nice milestone.

More rates.

If I get lucky and hit all of the hands I can probably get a 95 on this.

Solid.

Good except for the mine lol

This was randomly good. You either can do the trills or not I guess.

Well... I passed.

Handstreams.

Holy shit this was close. If only I hit a few more holds.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
LHB
FFR Player

OK I had a ridiculous skillboost today so I figured it would be time for another score dump. I switched to the new build which took a few days to get used to and started playing on j5, but I'm going to try to score on j4 still.

Got this before switching. I thought it was pretty good at the time but I could probably get a similar score in fewer attempts now.

Besides the dumb boos at the end this was decent.

I can SDCB this.

Holy shit these two scores were out of nowhere. The handstream in Tropical April felt almost completely under control.

Besides the bad ending which was a combination of nerves and disbelief in what I was doing I don't even know what to say about this. I was actually about 15 points ahead of wife AA after the first half of the file.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

nice AA on fragments !
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
LHB
FFR Player

Don't have that many progress-worthy scores this time. Got a mech keyboard with brown switches a few days ago and have been trying to find a comfortable setup on it. These three scores are from before on my laptop keyboard.

This is a solid speed score I think, but with my new keyboard I can probably get close to 1.1 even.

Really good MA and cb count for such a tricky file.

I had been wanting this for a while, but had come up short before. While this was nice to get, I could probably 97 this now.

For future short-term goals, I really want to see if I can get o'er the flood but that probably won't happen as soon as I want it. I think Icy's St. Scarhand and AiAe would be good goals for js/stamina and maybe some easier dump files for speed?

Last edited by LHB; 12-21-2016 at 10:15 AM..
Old 01-1-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
LHB
FFR Player

Score dump incoming. No St. Scarhand or AiAe, though I know I can definitely get them now if I wanted to grind for them. I've been trying to break my grinding habit over the past couple weeks though, and am trying now to not play anything more than 2 or 3 times at most in a session.

I've had like three wife 92's on this.

Pretty good sdcb I think.

I can do better on this.

I don't even know what this score was lmao. I can barely AA Grief and Malice yet I can sdcb 282 index streams. My skillset in a nutshell.

Pretty good I think.

rip wife aa

rip wife aa x2

Sightread/rip wife aa x3

SDCB on this could be a nice goal.

Old 01-6-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
LHB
FFR Player

Gonna take a few days off to rest/do other things, so posting some more stuff I got over the past few days.

I accidentally hit the mute button on my computer like halfway through LOL. I know I can get this though.

This feels so overdue.

1.3 soon

1.1 soon

Better but I can probably get up to a wife 95.

Finally. Oni soon?

I cbrushed in the exact same spot both times.

1.2 is doable with some luck.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
LHB
FFR Player

Got some pretty nice scores over the past couple sessions. Not anything crazy but I'm definitely gaining control over parts of files that used to be hard for me.

Those fucking jumptrills.

Hold and one too many misses cost wife AA.

yo

lmao i was on like wife 94 pace after the hard part and boo rushed on a random roll

I want to get this so bad but I just dump so many misses on basically everything.

Same with this.

Really good.

Dropped 2 holds and a few cbs at the end, but completely destroys my old scores.

Really good.

3 cbs in the first half before COMPLETELY shitting on the ending. This was freaking tragic tbh

By the way, I'm open to any suggestions/requests/recommendations you may have. I'm always looking for new stuff to play.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #9
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

yo indeed nice still blastin 1.2 dude, damn.

Also the first half of ascension to heaven is easy compared to the ending, the ending is the hard part of the file, 86% is nice though not that tragic imo o_O

Have you tried St. Scarhand from NB4? If you can do still blastin 1.2 you can probably get a nice score on it.
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #10
LHB
FFR Player

I have the intro to Icy's Scarhand completely mindblocked from grinding a few weeks ago lmao. Once I get it un-mindblocked though I should be able to get close to sdcb as the file is pretty straightforward for me.

In the mean time have some EXCITING MA SCORES FEAT. KIL FILES

nice rating also dont ask about the boo

j7

Guess where I got the misses also lmfao that boo

other assorted ~in progress~ crap

Managed to pass this.

Tried 1.2 right after but I spaghetti the streams at that speed for some reason.

Midare version because suck.

lol
Old 01-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
LHB
FFR Player

More stuff. I promise I'll post better js scores soon as I feel like I'm finally getting some answers to my reading problems, but don't think I've reached a real breakthrough yet.

I don't know why this is rated so high, but it felt like a good score either way.

Sightread.

Actually comboed the ending stream, which makes this theoretically fcable besides the trills at the beginning.

My favorite score of the bunch. This almost beats my 1.0 that I had from about a week ago.

Sightread. This was... unexpected to say the least. I'll come back and get the wife aa later.

aaand here's the score that blows everything else out of the water. Not gonna deny that this was a fluke and I'm probably not gonna try for the AA for a while.

300 bpm initiation.

Might be fcable? 3 of those misses were on easy stuff.

Tried 1.2 right after and nearly clutched the AA. Might be doable soon.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
LHB
FFR Player

Hi. I started playing on j5 a couple days ago but I'll still use j4 as a baseline using the new Etterna update.

I think I got more perfects in the trills than the streams.

Obligatory score that is 10x better than anything else in the post... yeah

I know I can get this soon. I seem to be disproportionately better at this than any other js file. Probably because it's not as sustained.

Actually the first time playing it since I got the AA months ago. I know I can get this too as this run was pretty sloppy but it's still tough.

This run was so good and I actually could've gotten sdcb, but I've been wanting this AA for a while so I'll take it. :>

Might be good??? 268 super anchory stream and js.

Near SDCB on a sightread? I want to go for fc in the future.

Hey, remember this score?

Quote:

Two weeks later. Destroyed the 240 js. This could've been like, 5 cbs if it wasn't for a few ??? misses.

Whatever it counts. I'm terrible at rolly streams so that's why the accuracy is so garbage.

I promise I'll post more acc scores and less bad barely-AA's in the future thx

Last edited by LHB; 01-27-2017 at 07:22 PM..