Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files

Old 03-1-2008, 06:08 PM   #61
cetaka
Dark Chancellor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to cetaka
Default Re: A real guide on how to make a good simfile

wat

my files are generally just doing all the things on that list (which i assume are the basis of a mediocre technical file that i would play once or twice and then forget about) except with a particular score or grade in mind that I craft the difficulty around. most of the files that proficient stepmania players post scores on have that attribute, but I'd wager that almost all of those files were unintentionally done that way.

Last edited by cetaka; 03-1-2008 at 06:19 PM..
cetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2008, 06:30 PM   #62
ducky285
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ducky285 Send a message via MSN to ducky285 Send a message via Yahoo to ducky285

oh...well then nevermind. I guess I never took the time to analyze your files much hehe.
Old 03-1-2008, 06:34 PM   #63
cetaka
Dark Chancellor

personally, I like to think that you have never ever analyzed any stepmania simfile ever, ever. but that's just me :S

Old 03-1-2008, 06:43 PM   #64
ducky285
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ducky285 Send a message via MSN to ducky285 Send a message via Yahoo to ducky285

You'll be glad to know that I don't plan on majoring in Advanced Simfile Studies anytime soon.
Old 03-1-2008, 06:51 PM   #65
cetaka
Dark Chancellor

that's good, because I think that princeton has a much better curriculum than MIT in that field, especially now that they have hired 3-time world champion stepmania mastermind dr. kil

ps I don't know if you noticed but I hate hands and very rarely use them in my "serious" files, since it seems like if you need to use hands to add difficulty then the song probably isn't cut out for a difficult file (I can't say anything about using them for Final Fantasy Piano Concerto for Jazz Quartet by Oster Project or whatever hip new files people are playing now, but I'm sure they're used well.)

pps
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky285 View Post
oh...well then nevermind. I guess I never took the time to analyze your files much hehe.
if this is a stepmania insult then i'll just say that my files are meant to be played and not analyzed bye. if it wasn't then nm

Last edited by cetaka; 03-1-2008 at 11:26 PM..
Old 03-1-2008, 09:39 PM   #66
DoctorSerpentine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetaka View Post
"serious files"
i call bs
DoctorSerpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2008, 11:35 PM   #67
ducky285
FFR Player

Quote:
if this is a stepmania insult then i'll just say that my files are meant to be played and not analyzed bye. if it wasn't then nm
Nope, not an insult. I rather enjoy your files despite the fact that my fingers have Down's Syndrome and I can barely pass them.

And by analyze, I mean when I play files I notice different people have tendencies in how they layer, pitch relevance and yada yada insert other SM theories and ****. Your stuff just seems unconventional but it works so I have no complaints. B)
Old 03-2-2008, 12:53 AM   #68
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Quote:
I don't know why, but as I'm playing files or listening to music I can't help but subconsciously analyze the file as I'm playing. This has a large influence on my files as you may have noticed. I try to make my files fun by being innovative and unique.

This is probably the main reason why I prefer art that is more artistic than fun.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-2-2008, 05:58 AM   #69
cetaka
Dark Chancellor

but hopefully you can understand when somebody who plays for score doesn't like a 7-minute long file with 4231324231324 300 bpm 16ths very close to the end that's quite easy otherwise and apparently just layered directly from the music =\

I think the difference between, for example, vatstep and planet karma were expressed pretty well by hayden when he said something like "that was more fun to watch than it would have been to play" after having the latter on autoplay

Old 03-2-2008, 03:59 PM   #70
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

this is where the conflict arises, and interestingly enough it's almost parallel with music

in summary:

people like pop music because it's fun, they don't care for how well it's made
people like artistic music because they admire the composer's work at an intellectual level

people like files like crow's ghost because it's good for scoring (scoring)
people like files like planet karma because it's innovative and fun to follow (exhibition)

edit: yes I did read your post I was summarizing

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

Last edited by stargroup100; 03-2-2008 at 07:26 PM..
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-2-2008, 06:41 PM   #71
cetaka
Dark Chancellor

ok arch0wl, music and stepmania are equivalent on an intellectual level just like music and chess are equivalent on a leisure level. but whatever, did you even read my post lol

ps i guess i see where you're coming from but i'm pretty sure if you're calling planet karma "innovative", then so is magical 8bit tour

Last edited by cetaka; 03-3-2008 at 02:34 AM..
Old 03-3-2008, 01:39 PM   #72
giganutsauce
Banned

Quote:
ok arch0wl, music and stepmania are equivalent on an intellectual level just like music and chess are equivalent on a leisure level. but whatever, did you even read my post lol

ps i guess i see where you're coming from but i'm pretty sure if you're calling planet karma "innovative", then so is magical 8bit tour

rofl magical 8bit being innovative

ok here's my serious thought on this

yes, chess sucks **** unless you're playing in a competition, but what if the said kid plays chess a ton for pleasure

I hope that makes sense rofl
giganutsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2008, 01:40 PM   #73
giganutsauce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post
people like files like crow's ghost because it's good for scoring (scoring)
people like files like planet karma because it's innovative and fun to follow
no people like crow's ghost because it's a much better file than planet karma, simply because it's a ****ing game and shouldn't be fapped over
giganutsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2008, 03:27 PM   #74
DoctorSerpentine
Banned

Everytime I see a cetaka file, I'm afraid the background will give me another lengthy explanation of how I'm an idiot for downloading it.
DoctorSerpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2008, 05:52 PM   #75
ducky285
FFR Player

ass - tick - temple - ling
Old 03-3-2008, 07:00 PM   #76
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

Technical Accuracy vs Fun Factor
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2008, 11:09 AM   #77
kommisar[os]
Banned

Send a message via AIM to kommisar[os] Send a message via MSN to kommisar[os]

Layering can be important in songs that are a little more complex. usually i just use single arrows for the main melody (changes in some cases) jumps for the beat or percussion (usually on 4ths or 8ths, 16ths once and a while others are less common) and freezes for holding melodies or short freezes for extra sounds in the song
kommisar[os] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2008, 05:25 PM   #78
operationstrawbarry
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to operationstrawbarry Send a message via MSN to operationstrawbarry

I think pitch relevencies is a matter of opinion. I got my files tested by many people and although much of the people that tested it said the file and the songs were great, there were some pitch relevency problems. My style of stepping is not to overload the file in a way that 80% of the people playing my files can't do alright in it. I tend to avoid hands, triplets and jacks as much as possible and freezes to also. Probably the best way to describe this is: I create files at the difficulty that I can do reasonably well in. I think this is a good tip for people. Dont make a song difficult, so difficult that you cant pass you're own song. Step it as difficult as possible and as accurate but in a way its easy enough that you can enjoy what you stepped.

I think in my opinion, any step artist out there should branch out on music. People are always stepping reruns of past songs from stepmania. Every file on the FFR archives or in packs are songs that we played some kind of version of. I dothis sometime to, but I think if you really wanna throw you're self out into the community as someone different, you have to step something that no one touched yet. Like for example, I am stepping hard house songs that are from my albums. The are about 2 to 4-5 minutes long depending, but Im not saying pick any song. I spend some time listening to the song and tapping in the air how the song will be laid out. Some songs are worth stepping and some songs aren't and some songs might be worth stepping, but the steps would be horrible. You also need to distinguish between songs that you like and that are interesting to step and also songs that you like but are bad to step. This is a good tip for people that are stepping songs from their CDs.

These are just my opinions though. Im not a famous stepartist, but Im trying. Remember, if the song is not fun, dont play them, because most likely, you wont have fun

I can add more later
operationstrawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2008, 06:20 PM   #79
Yesssss
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Yesssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by operationstrawbarry View Post
Dont make a song difficult, so difficult that you cant pass you're own song. Step it as difficult as possible and as accurate but in a way its easy enough that you can enjoy what you stepped.
I don't think there's any good step artist that doesn't do this. This includes the "hard" files that feels too overloaded for you.
Old 03-4-2008, 06:33 PM   #80
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

I do that.