Old 11-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
soadrocksk8er4life
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to soadrocksk8er4life Send a message via Yahoo to soadrocksk8er4life
Default Divergent

Did anyone read the divergent trilogy??? I think its better than the hunger games. More fast paced. More murder. More run for your life action. A must read if you enjoy young adult fiction. Aaaaand a huge twist.
soadrocksk8er4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-2-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Mrowmrew
FFR Player

Default Re: Divergent

Nope, but you got my attention with the "better than the Hunger Games" catch.
Mrowmrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-2-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Gun92
The Paragon of Perfection
FFR Veteran

Ive read the first 2 and about 2/3 the way through the third. I think some aspects are better than the Hunger Games, but so far I think Mocking Jay is still the top book out of all of them for me at this current point in time where I'm at. My wife said something about their being a twist so I am getting a bit more excited to finish and see what it is. I swear if its another brother sister long lost thing I am going to be really pissed. I also thought they did a decent job with the movie. Wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. Thought they did a great job with the actors who were cast and everything.
Gun92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-2-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

I didn't the books at all, but I did see the movie.
Camera angles were terrible, and I nearly almost fell asleep while watching it.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

I read the first one and thought I liked it but once I finished it it had lost all of it's flair for me.

I in fact quite dislike this book at this point. I feel like the author was just like, hmm, I want the success of hunger games and twilight put together, I'm gonna make a hunger games twilight baby. There are definitely some cool 'scenes' in it but meh
midnghtraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Better than hunger games is a joke.

Saw this movie with my gf the other day, it was terrible.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Divergent is exactly as stupid and pointless as the Harry Potter Sorting Hat was.

What? Everybody just embodies one AND ONLY ONE characteristic that is who they are? And everybody who shares that characteristic ought to band together and will get along fine because all of them have the same one personality trait? Utterly ridiculous.

Brave, Peaceful, Honest, Selfless and Intelligent, everybody is one and only one of these things...makes total sense.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Rukkbert
FFR Player

I like Hungergames the most, but divergent is ok.
Rukkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

My girlfriend just read them and said they were awful.
"Hey Foil. What's that you got there?" inquired Keywii.
"Oh, just my cock." Replied Foil.
"That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Yelled Foil in horror.
"Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Divergent is exactly as stupid and pointless as the Harry Potter Sorting Hat was.

What? Everybody just embodies one AND ONLY ONE characteristic that is who they are? And everybody who shares that characteristic ought to band together and will get along fine because all of them have the same one personality trait? Utterly ridiculous.

Brave, Peaceful, Honest, Selfless and Intelligent, everybody is one and only one of these things...makes total sense.
Well, the sorting hat was more about how certain personality traits are more defining for an individual in order to give them a more resonant placing on behalf of the qualities attributed to the houses, than it was that those characteristics were what made them who they are solely. The analogy is pretty accurate though and not too far off.

Attributing one characteristic to one person as the sole defining trait of those people was yeah, pretty cringe inducing.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
Gun92
FFR Veteran

Quote:

Did you read the books or going off of the movie because there is a reason things are the way they are. Books were decent for a quick read. Was not surprised like people said so the ending was a little dull. Leaked some fluid at a point or two and I have moved on.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

The whole concept is just moronic. At least in the Hunger Games, people were sorted by the job they did, and it didn't matter what kind of person you were.

And in Harry Potter, while it might be like..."You're mostly brave, even though you are smart, you go to Griffyndor" in Divergent it's MUCH more single-minded. "X people are Y, they do A B and C" as though it is completely universal to all of them.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Also it loses points for jumping on an already overly weighed down bandwagon, and just being ANOTHER goddamn YA Dystopia.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

I think that sorting people into x, y and z could actually be quite impactful if other characteristics simply did not exist due to eugenics or mind control or some such.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

Quote:
And in Harry Potter, while it might be like..."You're mostly brave, even though you are smart, you go to Griffyndor" in Divergent it's MUCH more single-minded. "X people are Y, they do A B and C" as though it is completely universal to all of them.
so you haven't read the books?? because that's the whole point, that it's dumb
"Hey Foil. What's that you got there?" inquired Keywii.
"Oh, just my cock." Replied Foil.
"That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Yelled Foil in horror.
"Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #16
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
so you haven't read the books?? because that's the whole point, that it's dumb
People saying "We, these particular couple people after this system has already been running, think that the system is dumb" is one thing. The actual issue is that the author thought this was a world they could create and expect anybody to believe it took as long as it did for someone to point out how fucking nonsensical it is.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #17
Gun92
FFR Veteran

So...you haven't read the books? I'm not going to point out why no one is agreeing with your point of view because they have read the books, or so it seems, and I would not want to ruin a decent read for people by explaining the trilogy to you. You can't just go around and assume a series is going to be just about "x" without actually reading it. If you read it, then I am wholeheartedly confused as to how you came to to conclusion you did and I would apologize to you in that case but don't knock something if you haven't taken the time to read it.