Old 12-2-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
tha Guardians
MCDC 2011
FFR Veteran
 
tha Guardians's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: location, location~
Age: 79
Posts: 1,681
Send a message via AIM to tha Guardians Send a message via MSN to tha Guardians Send a message via Yahoo to tha Guardians
Default Drum Corp International '011

Who's getting involved this year?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
can someone clarrify what QFT means my friend told me its quit ****ing talking, but im not 100 percent sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I need a car that drives itself completely automated and I want it for free and it needs infinite gas mileage.

Cheers,

Synthlight
tha Guardians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
C@!
zןnɹ oןos
FFR Veteran
 
C@!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: AZ
Age: 26
Posts: 448
Send a message via Skype™ to C@!
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Might do the Academy this year, not sure yet though (getting ready for college, expenses etc). I play trumpet

What about you?
__________________
C@! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
tha Guardians
MCDC 2011
FFR Veteran
 
tha Guardians's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: location, location~
Age: 79
Posts: 1,681
Send a message via AIM to tha Guardians Send a message via MSN to tha Guardians Send a message via Yahoo to tha Guardians
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Auditions for Music City Drum Corps (Open Class) in Nashville start this weekend. I play vibes and marimba. I'm so excited I had to /thread!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
can someone clarrify what QFT means my friend told me its quit ****ing talking, but im not 100 percent sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I need a car that drives itself completely automated and I want it for free and it needs infinite gas mileage.

Cheers,

Synthlight
tha Guardians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
C@!
zןnɹ oןos
FFR Veteran
 
C@!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: AZ
Age: 26
Posts: 448
Send a message via Skype™ to C@!
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Sounds awesome! They are a newer corps right? I know you guys will do great this year
__________________
C@! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
tha Guardians
MCDC 2011
FFR Veteran
 
tha Guardians's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: location, location~
Age: 79
Posts: 1,681
Send a message via AIM to tha Guardians Send a message via MSN to tha Guardians Send a message via Yahoo to tha Guardians
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

They started in 2009, with 47 members. Last year they had 64. This year they've had almost 500 applicants (over 200 percussion) and will be marching 150 people.

Thanks
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
can someone clarrify what QFT means my friend told me its quit ****ing talking, but im not 100 percent sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I need a car that drives itself completely automated and I want it for free and it needs infinite gas mileage.

Cheers,

Synthlight
tha Guardians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
C@!
zןnɹ oןos
FFR Veteran
 
C@!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: AZ
Age: 26
Posts: 448
Send a message via Skype™ to C@!
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

That's great to hear. Hope to see you guys perform sometime. Show?
__________________
C@! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
tha Guardians
MCDC 2011
FFR Veteran
 
tha Guardians's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: location, location~
Age: 79
Posts: 1,681
Send a message via AIM to tha Guardians Send a message via MSN to tha Guardians Send a message via Yahoo to tha Guardians
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

I have to audition first, lol
MCDC plays in Little Rock on July 27th.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
can someone clarrify what QFT means my friend told me its quit ****ing talking, but im not 100 percent sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I need a car that drives itself completely automated and I want it for free and it needs infinite gas mileage.

Cheers,

Synthlight
tha Guardians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
irishknight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
irishknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 27
Posts: 969
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

oh my god you guys do drum corps?! I thought I was the only one!

I marched snareline Colt Cadets '10! Finals baby!

Currently auditioning for Pioneer!

Here's a vid of us: http://www.youtube.com/user/bsimon8th#p/u/3/QLyxg6pK3MI

I am so excite!~
__________________
irishknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
ChrisReams
Trap Music Producer
FFR Veteran
 
ChrisReams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 274
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Sweet, fellow drum corp peeps =o! I had a couple friends in our snareline that played for Music City for a bit. I've always wanted to join one but I don't think my chops are up to par as they used to be.
ChrisReams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
irishknight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
irishknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 27
Posts: 969
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisReams View Post
Sweet, fellow drum corp peeps =o! I had a couple friends in our snareline that played for Music City for a bit. I've always wanted to join one but I don't think my chops are up to par as they used to be.
It's not hard to join open class. Practice, practice, practice WITH A MET. Stand in front of a mirror, take videos to critique yourself. Count in your head to internalize the beat while playing.

Some people end up regretting it for the rest of their life when they age out of it. So in other words, do it while you still can! It's the best experience ever!
__________________
irishknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
Ickalanda
FFR Player
 
Ickalanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan, United States
Age: 29
Posts: 112
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

I am not involved personally but my brother marched with the Madison Scouts just this last season and the high school I graduated from is where the open class corps Legends had its start. My brother had a great time with the Scouts and it really is a very impressive experience
__________________
R.I.P. Steve the jellygod

My StarCraft II YouTube Channel!
Ickalanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2011, 01:18 AM   #12
irishknight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
irishknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 27
Posts: 969
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickalanda View Post
I am not involved personally but my brother marched with the Madison Scouts just this last season and the high school I graduated from is where the open class corps Legends had its start. My brother had a great time with the Scouts and it really is a very impressive experience
That's awesome! They had a great comeback in '10! What instrument did he play?
__________________
irishknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2011, 01:44 AM   #13
Ickalanda
FFR Player
 
Ickalanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan, United States
Age: 29
Posts: 112
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishknight View Post
That's awesome! They had a great comeback in '10! What instrument did he play?
He played Euphonium, so he got a nice arm workout, haha. And yeah I really like their show a lot, I managed to see it at 6 separate shows, the opening hit gets me every time, I have the DCI finals blu-ray and it is even awesome on that. I will post some pictures of me with him in his Scouts uniform on my profile once I get my pictures transferred to my new computer that I am on.
__________________
R.I.P. Steve the jellygod

My StarCraft II YouTube Channel!
Ickalanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2011, 01:53 AM   #14
irishknight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
irishknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 27
Posts: 969
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickalanda View Post
He played Euphonium, so he got a nice arm workout, haha. And yeah I really like their show a lot, I managed to see it at 6 separate shows, the opening hit gets me every time, I have the DCI finals blu-ray and it is even awesome on that. I will post some pictures of me with him in his Scouts uniform on my profile once I get my pictures transferred to my new computer that I am on.
Awesome!

Yeah, our corps bumped into the scouts a lot during the summer at the show sites. I never got tired of watching their show! It was easy to get into.

Also, I am so envious that you have finals on blu-ray! It's ****ing expensive to get it.
I just got the finals cd... Which is just as great if you're driving on long trips.

Is he marching again this year? Or did he age-out?
__________________
irishknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2011, 02:17 AM   #15
Ickalanda
FFR Player
 
Ickalanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan, United States
Age: 29
Posts: 112
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishknight View Post
Awesome!

Yeah, our corps bumped into the scouts a lot during the summer at the show sites. I never got tired of watching their show! It was easy to get into.

Also, I am so envious that you have finals on blu-ray! It's ****ing expensive to get it.
I just got the finals cd... Which is just as great if you're driving on long trips.

Is he marching again this year? Or did he age-out?
He is not marching again this year just because he has been doing something band related basically full time every year since he was in 6th grade and wants to try other things. He intends to march with scouts again the following season, he is only 17 now and a senior in High School. I play Alto Saxophone in the Western Michigan University Marching Band though and he is going to be joining me in that this upcoming season.
__________________
R.I.P. Steve the jellygod

My StarCraft II YouTube Channel!
Ickalanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2011, 06:17 PM   #16
irishknight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
irishknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 27
Posts: 969
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickalanda View Post
He is not marching again this year just because he has been doing something band related basically full time every year since he was in 6th grade and wants to try other things. He intends to march with scouts again the following season, he is only 17 now and a senior in High School. I play Alto Saxophone in the Western Michigan University Marching Band though and he is going to be joining me in that this upcoming season.
I'm so jelly lol. Marching scouts being 16-17? ... For most snareline people like me you don't get to reach this level until your age-out year or close to it. Too much competition. It's nuts how many people want to march snare.

Hell, I can't even make the lowest ranked world class corps so far with what chops I have! and I already have a year of experience . Wish me luck though! I have one more camp to prove myself.
__________________
irishknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
Ickalanda
FFR Player
 
Ickalanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan, United States
Age: 29
Posts: 112
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishknight View Post
I'm so jelly lol. Marching scouts being 16-17? ... For most snareline people like me you don't get to reach this level until your age-out year or close to it. Too much competition. It's nuts how many people want to march snare.

Hell, I can't even make the lowest ranked world class corps so far with what chops I have! and I already have a year of experience . Wish me luck though! I have one more camp to prove myself.
Yeah definitely, a bunch of guys who all went to my High School have been marching scouts, 5 of them marched last season, the largest group of people from one place in the entire corps. My brother was so excited when he got in and the older guys helped him out a lot as he prepared for auditions which I think helped.

Our High School is also extremely competitive in Marching Band, with Ibe Sodawalla (The Corps Director of Legends) writing the music and working with the band a lot (he is also a Madison Scouts alumni). I think my brothers experience in high school helped him out a lot, and he was the Drill Sergeant for the entire band this past fall.

I hope you do well with DCI, it is definitely an awesome experience and I hope you keep up at it, not really something for me personally but my brother enjoys it a lot and it is definitely great to watch.
__________________
R.I.P. Steve the jellygod

My StarCraft II YouTube Channel!
Ickalanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2011, 12:26 AM   #18
irishknight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
irishknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 27
Posts: 969
Default Re: Drum Corp International '011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickalanda View Post
Yeah definitely, a bunch of guys who all went to my High School have been marching scouts, 5 of them marched last season, the largest group of people from one place in the entire corps. My brother was so excited when he got in and the older guys helped him out a lot as he prepared for auditions which I think helped.

Our High School is also extremely competitive in Marching Band, with Ibe Sodawalla (The Corps Director of Legends) writing the music and working with the band a lot (he is also a Madison Scouts alumni). I think my brothers experience in high school helped him out a lot, and he was the Drill Sergeant for the entire band this past fall.

I hope you do well with DCI, it is definitely an awesome experience and I hope you keep up at it, not really something for me personally but my brother enjoys it a lot and it is definitely great to watch.
Wow that's totally impressive! I'm so jealous you have a marching band director that is dedicated to DCI, as well as directing a corps! We of course competed against Legends, and it's impressive how much improvement they can get in over the summer. I say that because we initially ranked higher than them, yet they shot at a much higher standing than we did in the Open Class Finals.

My band director, on the other hand, gives me the feeling he's against it and/or jealous he never got to do it while his brother did (he marched scouts coincidentally lol). I pretty much had to go out of my way to get all the information necessary to join without his help. I'm just glad I got to get where I was. It took a lot of luck because initially I never marched a snare drum before last summer, but they accepted me at where I was, taught me everything I could execute, and I adapted seemingly quick looking back at it now. It took a lot of perseverance on my part considering I had 0 exp.

Looking at world class corps drumlines, you pretty much have to drum 24/7 to pull off what they do every summer. What I've encountered on the internet, it's hard to find someone in the top world class corps who doesn't do WGI during their downtime.
__________________
irishknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution