Old 03-7-2012, 08:06 AM   #41
DarknessXoXLight
sonder
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DarknessXoXLight
Default Re: KONY 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Kitten View Post
i think the only most of you are contributing to this, is because you're too lazy to get off your ass and do something for this world, so you just purchase this "action kit" as an excuse.

cool vid tho lol
What else can we do for a cause like this?
Old 03-7-2012, 08:25 AM   #42
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

lol @ people even bringing this up because they saw it on Facebook

lol @ people wasting $30 to support a film and "campaign"

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus

Last edited by 00Razor00; 03-7-2012 at 08:46 AM..
Old 03-7-2012, 09:08 AM   #43
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
Just to clarify. Yes, I think what Kony is doing, especially with the children, is wrong. Yes, I hope he's captured at some point (or killed). No, I won't participate in this movement because it won't change anything.
It's the littlest things in life that makes a big difference. Do you think the author of this video thought he could do something to stop Kony? It took him about 8 years to get the government's attention to the issue just because he was taking small steps to achieve his goal. You can start changing something by contributing to the cause. Spreading the video to your friends is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
The "right" thing to do would be to go to Uganda with a decent sized force and actively hunt for Kony but I doubt that many people would do this.
Why is this the only "right" thing to do?
Old 03-7-2012, 09:18 AM   #44
Gravity Kitten
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight View Post
What else can we do for a cause like this?
pray 2 ur god because $30 is a waste of tithe money
Old 03-7-2012, 09:28 AM   #45
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

i'm with mike on this

the whole deal is horrid, how he's brainwashing/kidnapping children as slaves. it's pretty sick and disgusting.
but
buying an "action kit" for $30, or wearing some shirt to "raise awareness" isn't going to help capture a guy on the goddamn top 10 most wanted list a single fucen iota. It is literally no different than "CHANGE YOUR FACEBOOK PICTURE TO RAISE AWARENESS OF AUTISM" except you're paying someone for it.

I respect your right to a movement, and legitimately hope all of you enjoy this and don't let it be some sort of quick, short-lived thing that ends up being something people cling to for attention in popular media, but i'll be spending my $30 on something a little more worth my while
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
Old 03-7-2012, 09:30 AM   #46
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

I didn't plan on buying anything and I've thought it over and I guess you guys bring up a good point (Choof and t-rog, etc) . I don't know, at least spread the vid around. /shrugs. Doesn't hurt.
Old 03-7-2012, 09:33 AM   #47
wildfireskunk
Purveyor of tea
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to wildfireskunk Send a message via MSN to wildfireskunk Send a message via Skype™ to wildfireskunk

www.visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

Worth a look at if its not already been posted.

Old 03-7-2012, 09:34 AM   #48
t-rogdor
tane orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsta_lombax View Post
[Insert terrorists name here] 20_ _ : Stop at Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelle View Post
I didn't plan on buying anything and I've thought it over and I guess you guys bring up a good point (Choof and t-rog, etc) . I don't know, at least spread the vid around. /shrugs. Doesn't hurt.
if you would like to raise awareness, then yes, posting the video around is a better choice. A+
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
Old 03-7-2012, 10:03 AM   #49
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

i didnt watch it but isnt this guy not even in uganda anymore and close to dying, thats what i remember hearing years ago anyway......he did atrocious things of course but why is this video so many years late wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
Old 03-7-2012, 10:39 AM   #50
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Choof and trog don't bring up any good points; they bring up points of laziness and distrust and worry that the group's incompetent. Essentially their point is 'why bother?'
How many people who are against this have actually watched the video in full?

Because the video clearly shows (perhaps erroneously, although I don't know how/why that would be the case, but there are clearly a bunch of skeptics) that when people actually worked together en masse towards getting the US government to do something, they did something. It's no longer 'we hope world leaders will do something', it's 'we need more time to get this done, and we need to keep the pressure on the world leaders'. The message is loud and clear. Much like how SOPA and bill C32 have been put on hold due to public outcry, your opinion, and letting your opinion be known, matters.

Furthermore, again as the video states, world governments have done nothing because they've had no immediate reason to. If your job is to run YOUR country as best as you can, as we see, it often becomes we vs they, and whatever shit that goes on in uganda is of no consequence, especially in light of all the shit that is likely going on in your country that you need to address. But if the people in your country are appalled and want to actually do something, who are you, as that country's leader, to say no?

It is unfortunate they don't explain where the money's going, choofers, but it's not like this is something like the Heart and Stroke foundation that works on an on-going basis, has been around for years, and knows how much money they'll probably get, so it's fairly easy to give break-downs of where the money's going. If you're a one-time organization that wants to get stuff done for 1 particular cause, especially one where you hope you can raise a TON of money, then you'll do what you can with the money that you make, and specifically planning what to do with it and letting people know, will surely backfire if you don't actually keep to those guidelines you showed the donators.

Obviously part of the money is going towards what goes inside the kits and paying people who have created the movement in the first place. The rest of the money we're assuming is going to go to military operations and then setting up safe havens for children, medical treatment, etc.

I have no reason to believe that money I would spend on a kit would go anywhere else but towards helping out the situation in Uganda. The question, choofers, is not why you should trust invisiblechildren, but why you shouldn't. Is there a past history of this organization pocketing money? Are they being overly secretive with what their plans are?
Another question: if your 30$ or whatever it is (I haven't bought anything yet but I will) DOES just go to line the pockets of the creators of invisiblechildren, what are you out? Only 30$. And if for some odd reason, this charity group is *gasp*, doing what it's say they're going to do, you've just helped an entire country. The cost/benefit ratio is just so wide, I don't see how you can condone the Kony 2012 movement if you care about the situation at all.

Another thing, this situation is not 'just another terrorist' because it is kids that are in this army. This army is not a group of people with different values from us; they're a group of people who are children who don't have a chance to find their own values, whose values are now 'kill and maim'. In most cases of terrorists, armies, etc, people have a lot more of a choice to be in them. Even an adult forced into an army is autonomous enough to say 'no, I'd rather you kill me first'. A child isn't. Lots of terrorists or freedom fighters or whatever you want to call them, it's not always so clearly obvious that what they're doing is wrong.
Secondly, because this army is full of kids who don't choose to be in it, you are far less likely to have it get remade, or for the kids to regroup, once the leader(s) of it are captured. If you're concerned that simply capturing Kony won't do anything, the #2 person on the list was also Ugandan, probably a second in command. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't go after all the leaders of this atrocious army at once.

But regardless that, you know, al-qaeda is actually wrong and should be stamped out, that is a separate issue from this terrorist situation. To think that just because you can't fix anything with the world, that you shouldn't try and fix 1 thing, is pretty defeatist. Why don't you just kill yourself now, you're going to die sometime anyways.
Furthermore, because this is clearly largely funded by individuals across the globe, it's not like we're telling the government to not protect us or something while you send troops to Uganda...there's only the smallest amount of competing resources.

And although this next argument is a terrible one, where do you think 30$ in tax money goes towards? It's what, half the cost of a weekly whining and dining meal for your local government representative?? If you really care THAT much about 30$, go even further with the statement and don't pay 30$ in taxes for 2012. The IRS doesn't give a damn about 30$ of unpaid taxes.

Oh, and if you think that should be doing something else to stop Kony, why don't you go out and do it? Oh, is that because you would need not only yourself but a well-funded, lawful, focussed organization to get the job done? Isn't that exactly what this movement is creating??
Old 03-7-2012, 10:43 AM   #51
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

You people need to do your research before you all jump on something just because you think it's doing the right thing.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/po...we-got-trouble
http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articl...-lra?page=show
http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comme...joseph/c3ycvhb

"Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services."

"Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. "

"Of the $8.9 million you spent in 2011:
$1.7 million in US employee salaries
$357,000 in Film costs
$850,000 in Production costs
$244,000 in "professional services" (DC lobbyists)
$1.07 million in travel expenses
$400,000 in office rent in San Diego
$16,000 in Entertainment"

Last edited by phe0nixblade; 03-7-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Old 03-7-2012, 10:47 AM   #52
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

etc etc aka choofers wrecked you all
Old 03-7-2012, 10:51 AM   #53
wildfireskunk
Purveyor of tea
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to wildfireskunk Send a message via MSN to wildfireskunk Send a message via Skype™ to wildfireskunk

And another "know the whole story before plunging in" link.

http://www.justiceinconflict.org/201...-down-a-notch/

Not saying its an awful thing, but the more you know!

Old 03-7-2012, 10:56 AM   #54
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
^

This is where my $30 is going
Old 03-7-2012, 10:58 AM   #55
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

besides all of that, the campaign to post shit up on 4/20 is definitely a no for me even if they were actually using most of the money to help out uganda because i'll be too high to even open my god damn door
edit: I lied, i'll be too high to open the door at the concert i'll be at

Last edited by phe0nixblade; 03-7-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Old 03-7-2012, 11:02 AM   #56
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

Quote:
Originally Posted by phe0nixblade View Post
You people need to do your research before you all jump on something just because you think it's doing the right thing.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/po...we-got-trouble
http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articl...-lra?page=show
http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comme...joseph/c3ycvhb

"Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services."

"Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. "

"Of the $8.9 million you spent in 2011:
$1.7 million in US employee salaries
$357,000 in Film costs
$850,000 in Production costs
$244,000 in "professional services" (DC lobbyists)
$1.07 million in travel expenses
$400,000 in office rent in San Diego
$16,000 in Entertainment"
phe0nixblade's only good post ever
Old 03-7-2012, 11:04 AM   #57
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

hater
Old 03-7-2012, 11:25 AM   #58
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

lol, always be wary of sheisty charity groups. i saw this getting blown up on facebook last night and could tell it was full of shit just by the type of people supporting it; suckers.

White Man's Burden indeed.
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Old 03-7-2012, 11:31 AM   #59
Mau5
FFR Player

Grateful to live in America haha, but regardless if they stop Kony though they'll probably just find another leader unfortunately :[ Hoping for the best at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
It's great to see how the internet works, it's mask of anonymity bringing out the worst in people.
Old 03-7-2012, 11:32 AM   #60
t-rogdor
tane orb

hahaha, exactly. whole deal's bullshit. Have fun putting money into a stupid pseudo-charity to get rid of your White Guilt
Closed Thread