Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 01-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #1
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default FFR has enough sub communities, so we should just have our own umbrella of podcasts

Activity on the site (mostly forums) is not what it use to be. I think this is probably because people don't really search for new music games/simfiles/DDR news much like 10 years back and I never hear of FFR really expanding out of it's bubble/reaching out to potential newcomers to come hang and discuss things on the site. It got me to thinking if there was a way to change any of that and maybe pump some new blood on here/generate interest.

So it was either revive Bemani as a thing or suggest that we do some sort of activity that pushes past the bounds of the forums themselves. I am hereby officially opting to pitch the second.

A lot of the appeal here is talking with a group about shared interest, rather that's the gamers talking about new releases, the musicians chatting on obscure releases they are getting into, the artist on here musing about whatever people with talent in art talk about (I wouldn't know) or just us randos who want to invite some weird meme discussion and see how far we can run with it. While I am sure most of us have our own unique reasons for being at the site I think the conversations with the people we've come to love on the site is what keeps us all here. When I want to express to people what I still do logging into this close to 20 year old site is how we have a lot of members with a lot of different viewpoints who all are (sometimes too) willing to share their insights, and that's ultimately a net positive for our internet dwelling lives. In trying to think of the best ways to express that without linking threads that would more then likely seem out of context for those not already familiar with existing members (we hella casual here guys) would be if we all took part in a podcast.

But not just one mishmash Frankenstein of a catch all podcast: A family of specific ones, each taking a subject dear to the members with it's own roundtable crew.

Imagine, for example, we had 4 ongoing series on something like anchor.fm or Soundcloud; one for music, one for games, one for art/drawing and another for anime/weeby meme shit. Each one had a cast from here that tried to do at least one episode a month, meaning we had four different ones per month--or one per week for the project as a whole (without people having to rush and record every week, since it's a group effort). I bet traffic for those sites is much more then FFR gets just on it's own, and we could use the shows as a way to try and redirect people interested in the topics/batshitcrazy personalites to the site proper.

We get to do another project that involves us hanging out in discord chat and shooting the shit, site gets an influx of new blood, and FFR doesn't have to shrivel up and die before it's legal drinking age. Actual cast in these episodes could rotate in and out if there's demand and because it's audio only there isn't any serious editing that's needed. Other then trying to just tell people FFR still exist and to make an account, this seems like the perfect way to get ourselves out there to mingle.

thoughts?

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR has enough sub communities, so we should just have our own umbrella of podcas

I'd be down with that. Just let me talk about files for an hour
Old 01-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
Gravity Kitten
FFR Player

Default Re: FFR has enough sub communities, so we should just have our own umbrella of podcas

can i be the first guest
Gravity Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Sounds like an interesting concept. It would definitely be one of those things that I would listen to in the background of whatever else I'm doing. Unsure how it would go about 'reaching the masses outside of FFR's bubble' though. It's not like people outside of that bubble are going to be actively looking for it unless it's advertised outside of that bubble and happens to catch attention of niche audience-goers just like ourselves.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Unsure how it would go about 'reaching the masses outside of FFR's bubble' though. It's not like people outside of that bubble are going to be actively looking for it unless it's advertised outside of that bubble and happens to catch attention of niche audience-goers just like ourselves.
This exact reason is why I thought podcast would be best

you say "niche" but if you look at my example categories they're pretty broad to start with. People love music podcast already; people love anime, etc etc. These are subjects that alot of communities overlap with our own. when we upload a podcast, I'm pretty sure we can tag it with such subjects and even plug appropriate episodes in other communities (assuming doing so doesn't insult said community; some people hate the id ea of folks trying to advertise)

A consistent schedule for topics keeps the project from seeing too random/anything goes while the range of subjects we have/the range of opinions that are sure to make their way in show just how much of a weird place this really is---which I think is the appeal for those who stay long term, but remember, we have a topic for each of these. A broad topic easily searched. Just because we are presenting what we as a collective think of weird indie music and the value of foreign jams doesn't make it any less music, and there's no reason to believe that people into music wouldn't be willing to give it a try.

Rather they like what they hear is up to them. I just think we should get out there a little, ya?

Old 01-19-2019, 02:59 AM   #6
Antori
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I'm happy to join VC in discord and hang out that seems like fun(even though I'm pretty silent while not playing multi with someone)

Antori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

How many speed runners has ffr produced tbh

I could talk forever about nitg modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #8
flashflash account
FFR Player

actually yeah. Hook me up anytime, I can do weekly podcasts most likely

-casual gamer
-big on game design
-magic the gathering
-casual music listening
-piano/arrangement/composing
-loves to complain
-children's tv shows
-movies

if you're interested in any of these topics we can work together to make a half hour-hour long script

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #9
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I like what you're purposing, but maybe just interviewing random people from the site would be a nice place to start to get into a swing and then cycle in some other content. It'd be awesome to sit down and get someone like say, Halogen & Kayla if both at once would be possible, to talk about how it is to run official tourneys or events, Stai, Doss, Eit (I dunno your username I'm a tad outta the loop), Velo / Arcn / maybe Prawn to talk about talk about working on the engine (Velo would be great in particular the man has STORIES, I've heard a few.)

Maybe do a few simfile authors, like Bmah'd be a fun discussion along with Scin Icy as well.

There's a lot of shit you can do here man.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #10
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

I n t e r v i e w

V e l o c i t y

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #11
handpanda
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
I n t e r v i e w

V e l o c i t y
Yessss
handpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #12
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

if we gonna try to bring attention to this site we need to fix a lot of the site but the admins can't do that

but yeah podcast sound fun like

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #13
FirstMaple8
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to FirstMaple8 Send a message via AIM to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Yahoo to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Skype™ to FirstMaple8

that would be fun
FirstMaple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
dashoe93
Alphabet Crowd
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'll be a guest and I'll talk about nothing
dashoe93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #15
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Digging the support guys

I think if the goal is to get people who do not know FFR into the scene then making it interview focus probably wouldn't have the same draw as like a roundtable discussion would, but I do like the idea and would love to do it. Tasslefoot and JasonKey toyed with the hour of a "Fireside Chat" thing for awhile (Which only 1 was ever made IIRC) that was going to include interviews and such down the line but it never happened.

I wasn't necessarily wanting to spearhead the whole project, but lets leave this up and see who all is willing to do what and then I'll try and organize/host a pilot episode. I still like the idea of multiple ongoing "shows" with different topics/different hosts for them but that all depends on the amount of people who want to be apart of it.

I've seen a few mods/admins lurk on here, would love to get official support for something like this or at least hear their thoughts.

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 01-20-2019 at 07:45 PM..