Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Batch Forum > FFR Songs and Artist Permissions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default One of my submissions for march/april

Yo!

My files for january/feb weren't that good, so I was wondering if anybody would be interested in looking at one of my march/april submissions and judging it.

Xiz already gave me some nice feedback, and I fixed everything accordingly I just want to know the opinion of more people.

The file itself isn't oriented much around PR, but more on individual sounds. The file doesn't vary alot in melodies and such, but the sounds are all very different and interesting so I decided to place my notes based on those sounds.

The reason I made a thread and didn't PM alot of people is because, alot of people don't really react to PM's .

Here is the link for those interested:

EDIT:

I changed alot of the file and it looks alot different now, I took alot of tidus said and changed it. here is the link to the new version

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2v...M0nkeyz%29.rar

Last edited by M0nkeyz; 05-31-2014 at 11:47 AM..
M0nkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Tidus810
slimy, yet ... satisfying
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: One of my submissions for march/april

Okay, I'll bite. I think I have a few things I can point out that you might benefit from changing.

The intro is nice and simple, but at 18.103s and on, your layering is a little sporadic. The [23] jumps leading up to 18.103s are actually a little quieter, and then suddenly BAM. So that note and the following notes should probably be jumps to accent how loud the sounds are.

At 19.103s, you're missing an 8th note and should have a jump. So something like [34]21 would be appropriate.

19.603s missing note

19.853s these are both very loud and probably warrant jumps

29.853s this pattern comes up a few times and is a little too heavy on the right hand. Maybe spread it out a little.

30.478s missing note

32.228s It's soft, but you could argue there's another 16th between these two. There's a big volume difference, so something like [24]3[24] or whatever could work.

36.228s This is the same as the above, but stepped differently. Just a discrepancy.

40.603s missing note

46.478s missing note

50.478s missing note

50.853s same thing

51.603s same thing

54.478s same thing (these are all loud enough to definitely warrant at least a single)

54.853s same

55.603s same

55.728s same

56.603s these next few beats have a lot going on musically, but the steps aren't on par with this. You should consider all that there is going on.

57.853s two missing notes

62.478s same

64.103s two missing 16ths this beat

64.603s where'd the 32nds go?

66.603s ghost note

66.978s, 67.353s ghosts as well

etc. The file is just missing a lot and could benefit from some more time put into it. My first suggestion is go back through and put some steps to those sounds that you ignored. My second suggestion is go back through and decide on a very specific layering scheme. For the most part, if there are two sounds at once or a single sound is exceedingly loud, there should probably be a jump. I hope this helped you out some, and if other peeps, ie actual judges, would like to weigh in they may have more thoughtful things to say. Good luck and have fun!

One other thing: if you aren't already, try to regularly playtest your own files. Assuming they're within your playing ability, something may look pretty in the editor but play like total crap haha.

Last edited by Tidus810; 05-31-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Tidus810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Hey man, thanks for the input the reason I didn't put jumps on the loud sounds is because I decided to give a single note to each individual sound. otherwise I would end up with hands in some parts and I don't like hands in the file I don't think it suits the soothing character of the file.

I did use a layering scheme except for the 32nd's they are kinda random, but I did forget a few notes and maybe some ghost notes, but I'll have to check later. Thanks for the input man, appreciate it.

Edit: Also yeah, I regularly playtest my files, but this file is kinda easy so I didn't notice how it might be heavy on the right hand :P. Might vary it up a bit.
M0nkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Tidus pretty much nailed it.

I saw a lot of ghost notes and unnecessary jumps as well as places where there should be notes and there aren't.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote