FFR Veteran

Arrow Test/reviews and enjoy please

Sticky fingers. music artist by me.
step file by me.

http://www.mediafire.com/?web34k83yr1omod

Volume 4. music by unknow.
stepfile by me.
http://www.mediafire.com/?bf2b8xt1vvr7v2v

i do play these at x4 on stepmania feel free to play at any speed.
just looking for reviews to help influence and fix my upcoming file
Thank you!
stoner_boy_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
stoner_boy_420
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Test/reviews and enjoy please

lol jesus 56 views and no replys thanks guys big let down
Old 05-7-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Aw come on don't blame the community just yet. It's not because people opened your thread without responding that they're pulling a prank on you or something.

Quite frankly, I'm not super excited to review your files either after reading that second post of yours, but, if you want, I could check them out this afternoon. I just can't right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Sticky Fingers (3/10):

- 1.154s I don't get why you did not place a jump here, but did place one at 0.462s, for example. They are the same instruments and are supposed to have the same layering. I can understand what you were going for by placing jumps only to the main chord (0.462s), but it is technically wrong since there is nothing in particular that objectively distinguishes it from your other chords like at 1.154s and 1.500s. This applies to the whole beginning of the song.
- Your pitch relevancy for the note at 5.769 and also for the little triplet of notes at 6.115s is arguably wrong. If you compare the note at 5.769s and the one at 4.846s, for example, even though they are both "up" arrows, the sound going to them is clearly different. and yet, you have another "up" arrow at 6.692s which goes to the same sound as 4.846s... As a whole, this incoherency makes it seem like you didn't know what you were doing. This could've been easily avoided if you made the arrow at 5.769s a left arrow, for example. Same with 6.115s. It could've been a trill or a jack, but definitely not a "321" pattern for the same reasons.
- Again, there is a pitch relevancy problem between jumps like at 7.385s and 7.846s which carries through that whole passage.
- There are definitely a bunch of missing arrows starting at 8.769s. Why didn't you put one there to acknowledge the beat? Again, there are many more places where this happens throughout this whole passage (10.615s, 12.462s...)
- The jump at 14.769s should be a "(34)" instead of a "(14)" for obvious PR reasons if you compare it to the many jumps following it; they are the SAME SOUND!
- PR mistake at 25.731s: that arrow should be a "right" arrow and not an "up" arrow to match the sound of the one at 25.385s.
- Suggestion: starting at 29.539s, I suggest removing some arrows. They are not real "mistakes", but the sound they're going to is so low (it's, in fact, just an echo of the other sounds) you might as well ignore it because it plays weird. Those arrows are: 30.577s, 30.692s, 30.923s, etc (it's the same every time this patterns repeats itself)
- Missing an arrow at 37.500s
- Why didn't you layer the beats at 29.539s? That section feels a bit empty because of that.
- 38.769s you put jumps here to the beat, alright, but why not at 39.692s!?
- Again, your layering at 44.308s is very lacking. If you made the song, you must know there are tons of other synths you could be putting jumps to in order to make the chart more interesting and less empty: 44.769s, 45.231s, 45.692s, ...
- 51.692s As mentioned before, you put jumps to places (51.692s) and not to other places (52.154s). Why? It's inconsistent and kills your chart.
- Ghost arrow at 55.731s. Also, it's weird how you layered your "bee"-ish sounds at 54.692s. It doesn't feel on sync at all. Just saying.
- Missing a jump at 69.692s
- That ending is pretty underwhelming. I wouldn't step it if I were you; I'd let the song end at 75.692s.

Overall, the song is amazingly repetitive and so is your chart, which is also filled with a ton of mistakes and inconsistencies. If you were planning to send it as is to FFR, I'm telling you right now, it has no chance of survival.

Volume 4 (2/10):

- Right at the beginning, you have something wrong: the arrow at 0.230s is going to nothing and you're missing one at 0.332s.
- Why do you step the voice at 5.060s but not at other few spots (2.593s, 3.724s, ...)? Also, just saying, your sync on the voice is pretty awful. You might want to use more precise arrows (ex: 64th arrows instead of 16th) for that.
- 6.601s your rhythm is wrong. You put 16th arrows, but that's a no-no here. If you listen to the music, you'll realize you need 24th arrows instead!
- The jump at 9.993s should be at 9.890s and the jump at 10.301s should be at 10.199s to be on sync.
- The little stream and the jump at 14.001s....... I can't understand what you were going for here. There might be a reason, but the steps are just so wrong I can't put my finger on it. Just re-do that part
- 20.271s omg, what a wasted opportunity. Just listen to that huge drum you omitted. You really should re-do the layering (obvious example: a jump at 20.579s and an arrow at 20.373s)
- Missing arrow at 24.484s
- why did you stop putting jumps at 37.434s!?!?!! You had it right at first but then somehow made it wrong.
- 46.684s See what I mentioned about 20.271s
- 64.978s, same here, you totally stopped putting jumps like at 37.434s! What happened?! And why do you re-start putting them again afterwards (67.444s)!?!?
- Oh please fill that awkward gap at 72.891s there are tons of things you could put here.
- Ghost arrows: 74.433s, 74.844s, 75.255s, 76.899s
- 90.466s Some more inconsistent jumps... You put some there, but didn't put any jump anywhere else in similar parts of the song. Seriously, either put some or don't put some, but make a clear choice!!
- Around the 100 seconds mark, your sync starts to drag. Please fix that with DDReamStudio, for example. It's hard to miss.
- You put jumps to small claps at 101.565s but totally ignore the huge drum beat at 102.799s.....?!!! What?
- Why didn't you layer the jumps in your stream at 126.642s? It would've been awesome. Instead, we get another wasted opportunity.
- 130.753s has some of the worst voice sync in your whole chart. Ouch.
- 133.220s Wow. I don't really know what to say here. You put 16ths to that whole part, when, if you listen closely, the arrows should be 12ths. And there are no exception. From 133.220s to 181.730s, all of your 16ths are wrong. That's pretty insane. Almost 50 seconds of playing the wrong rhythm. Hi?
- T_T At 184.608s you put rolls ("1234123412341234...") when the song played TRIPLETS ("123...123...123...123...123...") Did you even listen when stepping the part!? Up to 211.329s, it's all wrong! And I'm not even talking about the weird layering choices you made with your jumps. Man, you have to watch out for this kind of stuff. There is no excuse for that kind of mistake.
- Between your jumps at 211.329s, you should put 8ths to layer the synths in the background, even though at this point there is enough stuff for you to fix.
- 237.227s WTF happened here, even the ending isn't on sync!?

You had good intentions with this one, and it shows. However, it's... really bad. There are so many mistakes you made that should've been avoided that it's almost unbelievable. Again, if you were going into send this to FFR, this would definitely not pass as is. I listed a bunch of stuff but there are more I omitted for the simple fact that I thought it didn't matter anymore at this point. Don't give up, but also try a bit more.

Quote:
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 05-7-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

haven't played either of these but to be honest MarioNintendo, I find ghost arrows and sync issues to be 1000x more flagrant than PR problems. a file with random patterns that's correct in all other areas can still be a lot of fun.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Ghost arrows are perfectly acceptable when used conservatively and structurally with relevance. I do it all the time and get away with it.

I used to be able to get away with purposely offsync/offset notes but that was way before I picked up DDReam, lol.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 05-7-2012 at 02:00 PM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

fair, but I think ghost arrows should be avoided in the average simfile. am I understanding what everyone means by "ghost arrows" correctly? they're notes placed during silence or during the duration of an older pitch/sound, right?

edit: I'm having a hard time trying to word this idea properly, haha. are ghost arrows basically notes that don't correspond to any sound in the music at the instant the sound is played?

Last edited by dAnceguy117; 05-7-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Old 05-7-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Ghost notes are those that don't correspond to any sound whatsoever (I don't think this would include notes following a trailing legato or pitch bend, but that's still not recommended without distinct sounds going to individual notes).

Ghost notes are typically used as fillers, and are commonplace in pad files, and older keyboard files. You can use them smartly in a few cases, but overall I don't recommend using them for keyboard files. They're almost a necessity in pad files however.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

i use ghost notes more often now than when i use to

also pr is subjective unlike the ugliness of your face!

which is fact!
Old 05-7-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

^ lulz

oh damn I derailed the hell out of this thread. I'll check out these files soon and give my two cents, though I probably won't be as thorough as MarioNintendo. I may disagree about some of the finer details, but you can't knock that kind of specificity. nice work Mario.
Old 05-8-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Well I just judged this the same way I'd have judged it if it was in the batch! That's nothing new. Just play it with my review side by side and tell me if everything I listed isn't objective.

PS: If you read the whole thing, you'll notice I didn't base my judgement solely on PR. There are huge mistakes in the core structure of the chart and, to me, that's worse than any ghost arrow or sync issue.

Quote:
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 05-8-2012 at 08:22 AM..
Old 05-9-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
stoner_boy_420
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

thank you so much mario for your time and very helpful description on my issues this was exactly what i was hoping for! again thank you all with you reviews this will really help me start on my way to hopefully in the future give you guys some fun files to enjoy. thank you again mario feel free to teach me some basics anytime your available.