Old 08-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default The Fitness Thread

As per the comments in another thread, I figured I'd start a thread dedicated to people who want to talk about keeping fit, working out/training, cutting/bulking, nutrition, motivation, etc.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

I may as well start with myself:

Right now I'm about 236 pounds or so, just a bit under 26 years old, and 6 foot 2 inches tall.

(I'm the guy playing on the right -- kmay's on the left):

I don't *look* hugely overweight or anything but it's all in the midsection (which I get tired of hiding) and I'm probably 35% bodyfat based on a 48-inch waist (gachhhh). As you can see, I get winded easily.

So, I'm going on a cut (-1000 deficit from calculated maintenance). Unfortunately, no weight progress so far, so I'm likely doing something wrong. XD

Last edited by Reincarnate; 08-12-2012 at 12:21 PM..
Old 08-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Good thread. To start, I am trying to gain weight for my size. I have been doing pullups and pushups each day since I am focusing on my upper body strength first.

I currently weigh 125 lbs (~56.7 kgs) and I am 5'6'' (~1.69 m). Ideally what weight should I aim for and how do I gain weight? Thanks!
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Poison-
Nope

I'm 5'9, 155 pounds. 11% body fat.
Currently just focusing on getting my stamina back. In about 2 weeks I'm going to focus on bulking up.

If anyone would like some advice with workout routines, diets, etc. I'd be happy to help.

Last edited by Poison-; 08-12-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player

Nick, please enlighten us! I'd like to hear advice from anyone haha.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Poison-
Nope

Wilson, if you want to gain weight/bulk up, you're going to want to workout your entire body. You're also going to need to eat about 500 calories more than you burn, with lots of protein throughout the day. This is just really general, I can go into more detail if you PM me or something.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

For me, at 48 inch waist, 74 inch height, neck circumference 16 inches, that puts me at 35% bodyfat or so using the equation:
(495/(1.0324-0.19077*LOG10(2.54*(waist circumference at the navel-neck circumference)) + 0.15456*LOG10(height*2.54))-450)/100 with all units in inches

So at 236 pounds that puts me at about 152 pounds lean mass, 84 pounds body fat. Using the Katch-McArdle formula for calculating BMR, that means basal metabolic rate is 370+9.79759519*152 = 1860 calories.

I am aiming to lose 2 pounds of fat per week. Right now I'd like to get down to 15% bodyfat, which means a target weight of 152/(1-.15) = about 180 pounds, which means I need to lose about 56 pounds of fat. A pound of fat is 3500 calories, so two pounds a week means 7000 calories which means 1000 deficit per day.

Problem is I have little muscle mass, which complicates things a bit.

Anyways, my problem:

I'm not sure what exercise routine to follow or how to adjust BMR to account for caloric expenditure. For sedentary people like myself who have a desk job Monday through Friday, the multiplier to BMR is typically 1.2 -- i.e. without working out, my daily caloric output (maintenance calories) would be 1860*1.2 = 2232 calories.

Problem is that a deficit of 1000 from this number puts me at eating 1232 calories a day, which seems quite low. Of course, I'd need to work out.

I don't know the best way to work out and how to calculate the correct caloric output from that. I am figuring that if I lift weights 3x/week and do cardio twice, that brings the multiplier from 1.2 to 1.4, thus a maintenance of 2604 (and eating 1600 calories each day doesn't sound outrageous).

I don't know if 1.4 is too aggressive an estimate or what. I'm not sure what goals to set currently, since right now nothing seems to be moving the needle.

Also not sure how to determine the macros. I figure a gram of protein per lb lean mass is adequate, but I'm not sure if this is optimal (let alone how many carbs/fats I should be taking in). Always hear about the 40/40/20 rule but that sounds a bit outdated, especially for those with high bf%.

EDIT: As you can probably tell I am a bit obsessed with the math. I need the math to make sense but I don't know enough about the underlying biophysics to gauge certain things.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 08-12-2012 at 12:39 PM..
Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
Wilson, if you want to gain weight/bulk up, you're going to want to workout your entire body. You're also going to need to eat about 500 calories more than you burn, with lots of protein throughout the day. This is just really general, I can go into more detail if you PM me or something.
Alright, in that case, I need to go out for a run/ work on my abs more often. Thanks for the small advice. I'll PM you if I need more information.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Poison-
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
Alright, in that case, I need to go out for a run/ work on my abs more often. Thanks for the small advice. I'll PM you if I need more information.
Don't forget your legs! Very important part. A lot of people just focus on their upper body, and end up having a really disproportional body.

Also, Marcus, checkout this workout plan. If you follow it I guarantee you'll see the results you want.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/m...fat-loss/intro
Old 08-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
Don't forget your legs! Very important part. A lot of people just focus on their upper body, and end up having a really disproportional body.

Also, Marcus, checkout this workout plan. If you follow it I guarantee you'll see the results you want.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/m...fat-loss/intro
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately everything mentioned (especially in the nutrition section) is already taken into account in my above post (and with greater precision as opposed to just multiplying weight by 15).
Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Poison-
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately everything mentioned (especially in the nutrition section) is already taken into account in my above post (and with greater precision as opposed to just multiplying weight by 15).
You could go with your more detailed stuff, but if you use the same food and workouts, it should still help a lot.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

210 pounds 5'11, muscular, I have a tad bit of fat in my midsection but most of my mass is muscle mass. I'm going to try to bulk up to 225 in muscle then start to tone.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Reshiram
The Vast White Note
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reshiram Send a message via Yahoo to Reshiram Send a message via Skype™ to Reshiram

I'm 5'11", 180.2 pounds with a 34" waist. I'm sitting on the 17.8% mark of body fat.

I've lost 16 pounds in about a two-month span, as well as two inches off my waist. I've logged both my food intake and exercise in an online journal, and it has done complete wonders for me both physically and mentally. I'm sure I can lose at least another inch or two off my waist, because I still have lots of visible fat down in my midsection. It's a long road, but I know I'm gonna make it there.

If you're interested in the idea, here's the website. It's free to use and has a built-in community for it.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I was getting out of shape because of university. I used to bodybuild back in highschool and university, so I decided to get back into it in January.

Started at about 165 lb, 5'11", bodyfat at about 17% (I measure with calipers).

Bulked up to about 177-179 lb, bodyfat actually dropped to about 16% at that time.

I've been cutting now for the past few months and I'm down to about 160 lb and my bodyfat % is down to 8%. Have gained over 10 pounds of lean body mass. Waist is down from about 35 inches to 28.5 inches. At this point, I'm going to start clean bulking again.

Benchpress went from 110x10 to 180x10 during the process, squat went from about 155x10 to 250x10.

I just started using www.fitocracy.com to track my progress and I really like it. Would recommend. I was using a word document, but an RPG is a lot more fun haha.

Can also give routine/dieting advice to anyone interested.

Quote:
I'm not sure what exercise routine to follow or how to adjust BMR to account for caloric expenditure. For sedentary people like myself who have a desk job Monday through Friday, the multiplier to BMR is typically 1.2 -- i.e. without working out, my daily caloric output (maintenance calories) would be 1860*1.2 = 2232 calories.

Problem is that a deficit of 1000 from this number puts me at eating 1232 calories a day, which seems quite low. Of course, I'd need to work out.

I don't know the best way to work out and how to calculate the correct caloric output from that. I am figuring that if I lift weights 3x/week and do cardio twice, that brings the multiplier from 1.2 to 1.4, thus a maintenance of 2604 (and eating 1600 calories each day doesn't sound outrageous).

I don't know if 1.4 is too aggressive an estimate or what. I'm not sure what goals to set currently, since right now nothing seems to be moving the needle.

Also not sure how to determine the macros. I figure a gram of protein per lb lean mass is adequate, but I'm not sure if this is optimal (let alone how many carbs/fats I should be taking in). Always hear about the 40/40/20 rule but that sounds a bit outdated, especially for those with high bf%.

EDIT: As you can probably tell I am a bit obsessed with the math. I need the math to make sense but I don't know enough about the underlying biophysics to gauge certain things.
What are your goals? I highly recommend weight training to anyone that plans to lose a lot of weight, because it will help you maintain muscle mass, but depending on your resources and goals it might be easier to simply adopt a cardio routine.

By my calculations, your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is about 2500 calories. That is how much you would need to consume to maintain your bodyweight.

I would start someone like you off at a fairly large deficit to get the weight off fast. Definitely under 2000 cal/day. So, try 1700-1800 a day for starters.

Make sure you log these calories somewhere. Add them up. Only eat foods for which you know the caloric content. The biggest mistake people make is trying to estimate this in their head and doing it completely wrong.

Make sure you weigh yourself every week when you start this, and when you do weigh yourself, do it first thing in the morning. The night before, do not eat any food after supper, and keep supper relatively light. Try to minimize how much water/fluid you drink in the evening as well. The goal of this is to determine your dry mass that is not influenced by fluid retention.

From there, track your weight over time. Someone your size should safely be losing 1.5-2 pounds a week. If you're not losing enough, try cutting back your intake *slightly*. If the weight is literally falling off, increase intake *slightly*, unless you're not hungry at all, in which case keep going!

Do NOT worry about macros or how to compensate for working out if your goal is weight loss. These are advanced concepts. Learn to walk before you run. Just workout and eat the same amount that you planned to eat.

The only macronutrient you should even take into consideration is protein, if you are doing resistance training. At that point, I would keep it over 100 grams per day. Otherwise, just worry about your calories.

Last edited by Reach; 08-12-2012 at 01:50 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
i will pwn u
idontmash.ipressextrakeys
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to i will pwn u Send a message via Skype™ to i will pwn u

Wilson i would say around 150ish is a good weight for us(im 5'6" also), ABSOLUTELY work your legs. You will not get bigger(throughtout your whole body) without doing legs they are very important. Also pushups and pullups are not really good ways to add bulk(they add alot to your core) but putting weight on you might wanna aim for weights. As for putting weight on protein is very helpful so if you get a bag(for shakes) or eat alot of meats and fish its a good way to bulk up. And dont watch what u eat as long as it isnt all junk food, lots of peanut butter samwiches throughout the day!!!

+1 for thread idea because face it we are all on the computer way to much

Last edited by i will pwn u; 08-12-2012 at 01:34 PM..
i will pwn u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Renevatia
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Definitely my thread. Need to hit 150lb by the end of nov.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Poison-
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
I just started using www.fitocracy.com to track my progress and I really like it. Would recommend. I was using a word document, but an RPG is a lot more fun haha.
Wow, this looks really cool and useful. I'll probably start using this too. Thanks man.

Last edited by Poison-; 08-12-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Old 08-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by i will pwn u View Post
Wilson i would say around 150ish is a good weight for us(im 5'6" also), ABSOLUTELY work your legs. You will not get bigger(throughtout your whole body) without doing legs they are very important. Also pushups and pullups are not really good ways to add bulk(they add alot to your core) but putting weight on you might wanna aim for weights. As for putting weight on protein is very helpful so if you get a bag(for shakes) or eat alot of meats and fish its a good way to bulk up. And dont watch what u eat as long as it isnt all junk food, lots of peanut butter samwiches throughout the day!!!

+1 for thread idea because face it we are all on the computer way to much
Thanks for the advice! I am thinking about shooting for 150 lbs. I should probably get my cousin or some hot girl to be my workout partner or something
Old 08-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

I work out 2-3 times per week. Just staying in shape, not too crazy .

Bench about 8x 130lbs 5 sets, squat 160 5x5 ( I suck at squats )

Was 190 in February, now 176lbs (6'2") and trying to incorporate healthy eating habits
Old 08-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Reincarnate, from your post, you seem really concerned with the mathy stuff behind workouts. I'm not super ripped or super strong, but I'm probably the most normal looking guy in a group of people who seem to be hitting the "This is where I get fat" stage of life. Don't worry so much about numbers, imo. Instead try to focus on having a fun, adventurous, childlike approach to life in general (when it's appropriate), and the workouts will take care of themselves.

And that DDR doesn't look like it's hurting either. Keep doing that is my advice. And try to avoid soda and booze. A lot of stuff is bad for you, but not in the deathblow kind of way those are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwn
Also pushups and pullups are not really good ways to add bulk(they add alot to your core)
What's wrong with core?

Last edited by Mike Weedmark; 08-12-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Mike Weedmark is offline   Reply With Quote