Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-1-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
vro
FFR Player

Default DDR Memories...

So, I would imagine that if you play FFR, then you played/play DDR. So, how about we have a thread where we share our first time with DDR? Some key things to share are...
When? How old were you? What exact game was it? (If you remember)What was your first song? And lastly, share how your experience was, whether it be short or long.
I'll start...

I was in 3rd grade. I'm 18 now, so...I'm guessing I was around 8 or 9. I played it at the arcade; we had just gotten DDR 3rd Mix Korean ver. 2. The song I played was Shock, from Goofy. Haha, when I first played, I thought you were supposed to hit the arrows that were flashing. Obviously, I failed miserably. But, I was amazed by the game, and began to play on a regular basis. I went after school as much as possible, and was instantly in love. To this day, I play DDR almost every day, and can do pretty much any song on heavy/oni, and I also play ITG and PIU a ton.

Well, your turn =]
Old 02-1-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
FN_Boski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: DDR Memories...

The first dancing game I remember playing was In The Groove when I was around 13. I can't remember exactly the first song or songs in the game, but let's just say I couldn't do a damn thing. I almost instantly failed on Novice difficulty (1 lol) but was amazed I managed a perfect. Thus, I continued my dancing-ness and just continued playing. The best song I beat on Heavy was Maxx Unlimited on DDR Max 2 (if I got the name wrong oh well =P). But my absolute favorite song to play is Jet World. Sadly, I haven't played DDR in about a year and a half, so now I probably suck horribly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ^_^
FN_Boski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
BethanyBangs
~
FFR Veteran

I was in 6th grade, my dad just bought me ddr supernova and some cheap $10 pads on ebay. They lasted for a while and started to tear and press arrows by itself xD Beginner was too easy for me, so i started on light. Love Shine was the first heavy song i passed. I was so happy. But i became addicted, and lost 18 pounds. Then i stopped but i just started again because i got a metal pad.

Got all of these games at flea markets for $12 and under. Itg and Extreme2 were $5. Supernova was bought at full price brand new though.
BethanyBangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
ddrxero64
FFR Player

*sniffles* DDR is definitely a big part of my life. Cross post from smo.eu forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrXero64
I've been playing DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) since I was 10 years old. i used to go to a card game shop when I was younger when one day some guys were setting up a game. I noticed some mats, and was wondering what they could be playing. It happened to be DDR Max, which was just released 7 months before on October of 2002. So they started to play, and I was amazed. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. So that day I told my mom about it, and begged to have it. Three months later, I was sitting in my room with my birthday present in my hand. It was a copy of DDR Konamix, with the mat included. I started with the first lesson in tutorial, and I've been working my way up ever since. As it stands, I now have 8 years of experience with DDR, 5 of which are arcade. I don't know when I'll stop, but I know it won't be anytime soon.
Technically my first song was the song that plays in the first part of the three part tutorial from the DDR Konamix home version for PS1. Whichever song that is...

I think it was Baby Baby Gimme Your Love from the 5th Mix (I just searched through my packs).
ddrxero64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyBangs View Post
Itg and Extreme2 were $5.
xD Even the flea markets know Extreme 2 was one of the worst mixes! (it's all opinion though)
Old 02-1-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
BethanyBangs
~
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrxero64 View Post
xD Even the flea markets know Extreme 2 was one of the worst mixes! (it's all opinion though)
Hey don't hate. Extreme 2 has some good songs. I like Boom Boom Dollar, Captain Jack, Cartoon Heroes, In the Heat of the Night, La Copa De La Vida, Candy, Colors, Daikenkai, Sakura, Afronova, Dive, and the Paranoia songs >
BethanyBangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Hurleyisgod
Let's trash this place
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Hey don't hate. Extreme 2 has some good songs. I like Boom Boom Dollar, Captain Jack, Cartoon Heroes, In the Heat of the Night, La Copa De La Vida, Candy, Colors, Daikenkai, Sakura, Afronova, Dive, and the Paranoia songs >
Captain Jack and Cartoon Heroes <33333 Those songs are the reasons why i play Extreme 2.

Oh yeah, and my first time playing DDR was at my, at the time, girlfriends house about 4 years ago. I was terrible and I still kinda am, but i still love to play it ^.^
Old 02-1-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Quote:
Haha that's the problem, most Mixes have at least 50% enjoyable songs. Most of these songs were just fillers until Supernova and weren't worth the same the price as the usual games. Very mainstream as well.

Last edited by ddrxero64; 02-2-2011 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Put "worth"
Old 02-1-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

The first one I played was DDR MAX 2 at a local mall when I was about 10. I loved it so much, I bought the PS2 version right away. Since I had one of those crappy mats, I still went to the arcade. About a year later, I was playing Heavy. I don't remember the first song I played, but the first song I played on Heavy was .59.
Old 02-2-2011, 12:13 AM   #10
Gray Fox
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Gray Fox

ah memories, 3rd mix plus at my arcade when I was about 11 and I had to learn it in front of a whole crowd since it was the big thing back then (also not to mention there was no beginner mode) That is until I got ddrMAX on the ps2 with a foam pad lol. Been playing pad ever since and still love it.

The cabinet is still at my arcade and upgraded to Extreme which I can deal with although I would love to play on a 3rd mix for good times. I remember the day when they upgraded it to MAX2 and was all bummed out about it x]
Old 02-2-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
vro
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrxero64 View Post
Haha that's the problem, most Mixes have at least 50% enjoyable songs. Most of these songs were just fillers until Supernova and weren't worth the same the price as the usual games. Very mainstream as well.
I'll admit, Extreme 2 was when they started going more towards mainstream, but I actually liked a good majority of the songs. In fact, I think EX2 was the last really good console game. Supernova was okay, SN2 was only good for the hard stuff, and X/X2 was total crap.

But hey, like you said, its all about opinion.
Old 02-2-2011, 01:52 AM   #12
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by vro View Post
In fact, I think EX2 was the last really good console game.
That I can agree with.
Old 02-2-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
warriormag17
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to warriormag17

I dont think so, Supernova was not bad at all.
Old 02-2-2011, 04:50 AM   #14
CoolRun
dreamin'
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to CoolRun

I think I started playing DDR when my cousin got 3rd mix. Used to love playing Boom Boom Dollar and thought I was beast passing stuff on Maniac, lol.
CoolRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-2-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

IMO DDR died after DDR Extreme. I sort of ignore everything after that. To me, the hardest DDR songs will always be PSMO and LOM.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-2-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
~Zeta~
Flag Master
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

DDR officially began to decay after Max 2. Song selections pretty much sucked in Extreme and on. Started playing in 2001 when I randomly saw a DDR (yeah, the FIRST one) machine in what used to be an arcade. Loved it from then on. Played it every Friday for about $10~. $0.50 a play wasn't bad and free tokens wasn't bad either when you know the owner.

Best scores I ever got were on the last day I ever played at the arcade since it got shut down by the mall for rent money. AAA'd So Deep and FC'd Max 300 (like 9 greats or something).

Yeah, used to be skinny and energetic. Not so much anymore.
Old 02-2-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I don't think it decayed after Max2. DDR Extreme was a very active scene and it's when we started seeing skill explosions begin to occur. It was a pretty exciting time. :P
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-2-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

extreme 2 when i was 17(?) at my (at the time) gf's house and the first song i remember playing was captain jack though it was probably something else
Old 02-2-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
ddrmaniacaaa
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

First saw ddr when i was 12, and my family went on vacation for new years to Niagra Falls in Canada. We popped into an arcade there and there were two Asians playing 5th mix i believe (this was in 2002). They were insanely good, and I noticed that 50 cents got them about 7 minutes of play (they played 4 songs). I was amazed how long they were able to play and i loved the music from the game

I began going to the local arade and played DDR US mix (classic) and DDR extreme (jumping forward to 2006-present). Then they got rid of the US machine for the release of Supernova.

First home console game was Extreme 2, and now i have most of them. Once Rock Band came out though I stopped playing ddr. I think the reason was that ddr was not really a challenge for me anymore (I could pass every song with at least an A), and I wanted to learn how to play the drums. Now, I am a drummer.
ddrmaniacaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-2-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
vro
FFR Player

Sorry ~Zeta~, maybe you quit liking DDR when Extreme came out, but Exteme in the arcade was probably the most popular one ever(not to mention my personal favorite.) :P