Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files

Old 12-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Untitled StepMania Pack submissions

The Untitled StepMania Pack

This pack will be similar to ODIPack 3 in that it has demanding requirements as to the types of files that will be deemed acceptable. I will run this pack with the help of ilikexd. Ultimately, the submissions that will be accepted is my decision but he will help me judge them so I remain as unbiased as possible.

There is no goal for how many files the pack will contain, how many high-quality files are submitted will determine this. Submissions will be closed depending on the number of submissions that are received per week.

Rules:
This is a keyboard pack.

Both unreleased files and released files can be accepted. If they are singles then I may or may not accept modifications to them. This will be done on a case by case basis.

A file can have as many stepcharts as you like.

If your file is accepted and you don't have graphics they will be made for you.

There is no limit to song length, but keep in mind that making an interesting file gets increasingly more challenging the longer it is.

Submissions:
Send them to untitled.stepmania.pack@gmail.com

All submissions will be published and judged openly in this thread by ilikexd or myself.

If you submit a bad file without potential, we will simply reject it without much feedback.
If you submit a sloppy file that has many obvious errors, we will very briefly point out what's wrong, and reject the file. This isn't necessarily set in stone and we are open to a defense of your file, but we reserve the right to disagree with you.
If you submit a good file we will very thoroughly go through the file and give all types of criticism we can to potentially improve it more, and when it is as good as it gets, it will be accepted.

This format is the same as ODIPack 3, so some might already be familiar with it.
this entire post template is also shamelessly stolen from glove oops

General guidelines:
All types of files ranging from easy quads to hard passes can be accepted. If the song calls for it, multiple difficulties are strongly encouraged. If you think you could step multiple difficulties for a song, please do. There is going to be a currently undefined quota of the number of easy files this pack will require. If this isn't met then I'm going to have to ask people to make them and I don't want to have to force it if I don't have.

Take your time and find a good song for this. Don't focus on getting as many files as possible in the pack while you have the chance because the judging will be very strict. If we all focus on making a few really great ones instead we can put together an awesome pack here

Cut your songs. It's not hard, I've always used Audacity which is a free program (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) to cut my songs to what I think is optimal for stepmania. Not only cutting out the beginning and end can be done but cutting together different parts of the song is usually not that hard and I have done this some of my previous simfiles.

In the FFR packs lots and lots of mines are used. This is done very well and is a lot of fun, but generally I would like them to be used a bit less for this pack. Some people express distaste for overly heavy mine usage and most people prefer playing a file that doesn't force it's difficulty by unncessary mine dodging.

A few things to keep in mind:
Be precise with your steps and patterns following the music, but don't forget to be creative.
Making a file good for scoring on is important and is what adds most to a file's replay value. This can of course still mean that it can be a hard AAA, a tricky file to MA or a hard AA or even a hard pass. But avoid certain things, like making an easy song with one hard part that always breaks your score in half.

Last edited by Fission; 12-23-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Fission
no

Default Re: Untitled StepMania Pack submissions

Accepted files so far (fully revised and finished):
Vegetable Soup (samurai7694)
Acid Wolfpack (Baq12)
Poquito Mas (AlexDest)
He's a Mental Giant (Rin-Dude)
Journey Into Sound (wv & CosmoVibe)
Catkin and Teasel (Valor & Fission)
Cock/Ver10 (Valor)
The Funk Is (Valor)
Anger of YuYu (debit13)
UNKNOWN (Skylaax)
Quartz Rainbow (MrPopadopalis25)
Neonlights (AlexDest)

Submitted files:
Vegetable Soup (samurai7694)
Anger of YuYu (debit13)
Lemonlime (blind)
Neonlights (AlexDest)
Yellow Zone (Yulanik)
Acid Wolfpack (Baq12)
Mirror Mirror (rCaliberGX)
Big Up Toronto (___________)
Powerbookfiend (Valor)
Poquito Mas (AlexDest)
The Years Ahead (GLoVE)
Journey Into Sound (wv & CosmoVibe)
Battle of BRS (XelNya)
Bright Sound (Dry Lagoon) (Moches)
Destination (Relapse) (Moches)
Taiyou Iwaku Moeyo Chaos (Kommisar)
He's a Mental Giant (Rin-Dude)
Moe Moe Kyunstep (Kommisar)
Final Battle vs. Satan (Kommisar)
Fuse Gymnast (Kommisar)
Teenage Prostitute (Scintill)
Cock/Ver10 (Valor)
The Funk Is (Valor)
Turntable Utabied (Valor)
A Type (Valor)
Take My Life (Skwid)
BRAVE GLOW (Shiron)
Quartz Rainbow (MrPopadopalis25)
Zomby Woof (Scintill)
WOBBLE IMPACT (Razor)
Turn Back The Time (Wafles)
UNKNOWN (Skylaax)
The Hero (Razor)
Synposium Magarum (XelNya)
Burgers Out (MrPopadopalis25)
Roze (Waflex vs. rCaliberGX)
Rize Up (rCaliberGX)

Last edited by Fission; 01-19-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Old 12-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Fission
no

File reviews:
Vegetable Soup (samurai7694) - CONDITIONAL
- some sound matching mistakes (e.g. @ 65.9s you have the same jump going to two different sounds). i think you'll notice more of these if you listen on a rate a bit slower
- trill is faster than it should be @ 69.3s
- it's a pretty cool file and very unique, just go over it again and make sure you fix those sound matching mistakes like the one i mentioned and i'll likely accept this

Anger of YuYu (debit13) - ACCEPTED
- patterning seems kinda lazy @ 19.8s. consider changing it a bit? it's not that noticeable so up to you.
- at 101.5s i would have stepped this guitar bend, but it's not a big deal either way.

lemonlime (blind) - REJECTED
- there is so many technical errors and the layering quite frankly doesn't make any sense. file needs a massive overhaul.
- the 1[13] sections are really repetitive and don't really add much to the file. they should be shorter or just removed completely.

Neonlights (AlexDest) - ACCEPTED
- at first i was unsure because it's just a lot of jumpstream, but the way it's layered and the patterning you chose fits well and i don't think that many files have jumpstream layered like this
- 83s: i think the 16th jumps on [24] should just be miniholds on 4 but it's up to you
- don't forget to fix that missing jump i told you about

Yellow Zone (Yulanik) - REJECTED
- there is a lot of ghost notes spread throughout the file as well as missing notes and layering inconsistencies. listen to it on a lower rate.
- you could make a pretty decent file out of this but you'll have to revamp a lot of it

Acid Wolfpack (baq12) - ACCEPTED
- this file is reaaallllly sick. all of the difficulties are really well done so props.
- some of those mines are really mean on the oni chart but that's ok since you have the other difficulties

Big Up Toronto - (___________) - REJECTED
6.028s - these notes are 3/32nds, happens everywhere else in the file
10.747s - dont think these should be stepped as jumps, happens in the rest of the file like at 12.635s, 13.264s
18.28s - these 32nds last the whole beat
21.523s - breakbeats stepped inaccurately here, you have tons of missing notes. it's mainly continuous 16th notes. also there isn't much of a reason to step them as one-handed trills
25.377 - this should be a jump if the previous note is
30.569s - breakbeats are really inaccurate in this section as well
49.682s, 49.918s - should be jumps
51.177s - should be jump, various layering inaccuracies here
61.323s - missing scratch notes, jump usage doesnt make sense
85.078s - pr is kinda poor with the highest pitch notes having jumps more to the left
122.046s - same problems in this section as the other
139.744s - pretty silly, just use a 32nd roll
141.238s - this part of the music is an exact repeat of the previous, song is a bit too repetitive
161.610s - now you switch to minijacks, kind of arbitrarily; although it makes some sense for climax theory, it's not very good
169.161s - minijacks here don't actually belong, same with everywhere else this sound happens

too many errors, and song choice is a bit too repetitive with the 2nd half just repeating

Mirror Mirror - (rCaliberGX) - REJECTED
10.811s - grace note is ascending
14.228s - ^
22.854s - even though this is a chord and vocal at the same time using hands in here is pretty inappropriate given the calmness of the song. same goes for all other hands in this section.
23.715s - shouldnt be a jump
24.485s - is ascending
31.451s - not a grace
34.809s - missing vocal
51.633s - cant see why these should be jumps with minijacks
56.971s - there are 4 notes to the strings
58.204s - this note is the same as the previous so minijack is in place
64.984s - shouldnt be a jump
66.423s - js for this section is a poor choice and it plays kind of like ghost notes. piano, percussion, lead/background strings can all be followed here, and then you can bring in 16ths for strings at like 76.491s
84.094ss - shouldnt be minijack
90.258s - not a fan of such heavy hand usage for all drum hits, you can save it for the bell
106.491s - vocals are 3/64ths (3/32nds at normal bpm)
117.998s - color notes here are really wonky and inaccurate
125.601s - js here makes a little more sense, but it's still better if you decide to follow the strings, making it broken 16ths stream like at 126.834s and 141.629s. constant js to barely audible sounds plays very poorly.
147.280s - jump should be on 8th
155.136s - end this hold before going into the next
155.655s - no grace
161.688s - these piano notes are inaccurate

some potential i think if made a lot more accurate and layering structures are changed. those long js are pretty inappropriate and if you just followed a more noticeable sound like the string it would make for a better file

Powerbookfriend (Valor) - REJECTED
- file is too repetitive. it's well stepped, but the same sample is repeated way too much and i don't know if a significant cut could even salvage it.

Cock/Ver10 (Valor) - ACCEPTED
- this file is really awesome. on the surface, it's just generic breaks but the structure does a really good job at accenting all of the subtle nuances in the song.
- it's not that bad, but i'd like it if you shorten some of the holds so they don't end 192nd before the next note

Poquito Mas (AlexDest) - CONDITIONAL
11.545s - 32nd note
17.331s - as 48ths it plays fine and isn't really noticeable, but it's actually 32nds. i'd personally make it like a 32nd trill but it's your call.
20.688s - 32nd note
34.688s - 32nd note
37.188s - missing 16th notes
39.760s - missing 16th note, these 16th notes are there in all the other parts
52.188s - it would be a really good idea to add in 32nds here since the song is climaxing
62.331s - jump
69.188s - jump, might be other missing jumps in this section, check

file is really nice and i like how it climaxes, just needs to fix a few things and it's ready

The Years Ahead (GLoVE) - CONDITIONAL
everything is pretty good and well-stepped, you just need to make one part in the solo a bit easier as i talked about, accepted when that is fixed

Journey Into Sound (wv & CosmoVibe) - ACCEPTED
- song choice is really cool and lends itself well to some interesting patterns
- looks like there is some missing notes in what sounds like 3 bursts that you have stepped as 2 notes. consider looking at this again? it's not super noticeable, just thought i would point it out.

Battle Of BRS (XelNya) - REJECTED
- the problem with a song choice like this is that it's really difficult to make a file that isn't arbitrarily varied (if that makes sense?)
- there is quite a few ghost notes (e.g. overstepped 32nd bursts), listen on a lower rate
- a lot of the mini holds are unnecessary and emphasize guitar notes just fine as layering
- it's not inherently a terrible file, it's just not what i'm looking for

Bright Sound (Dry Lagoon) (moches) - REJECTED
- there is quite a few gallops that are incorrectly stepped, look at these again
- your file goes out of sync later (is this due to subbeats?)
- it's reaaalllly colorful and it doesn't need to be. some color is fine for accenting but not this much.
- what you are accenting and not is really inconsistent too. some notes are 96ths but other notes on the same sound are 16ths.

Destination Relapse (moches) - REJECTED
- it's a well made file and it's decent for scoring on, but that's basically all it offers.
- it doesn't have anything that makes it stand out from other files like this. it's just lots of broken jumpstream with some long jumpstream thrown in.

Final Battle vs. Satan (Kommisar) -REJECTED
this is just too repetitive, perhaps it could be better with a cut. also the offset is significantly early. there are a few missing grace notes (see 18.5s, 23s, 39.7s, etc)

Fuse Gymnast (Kommisar) - ACCEPTED
13s - this part is pretty empty, i think you can use more holds to the sustained notes
52s - missing a 32nd note after this triplet

really chaotic and challenging, very well done

Taiyou Iwaku Moeyo chaos (Kommisar) - ACCEPTED
97.34s - this 32nd gallop is a bit early, and there is a missing note after it
99.6s - these 64ths are all early, they can be shifted down to 16ths

both charts are nice and i'm happy to see a file of this difficulty

He's a Mental Giant (Kommisar) - ACCEPTED
this is absolutely fantastic! good rap/hip-hop files are hard to come by and this is just amazing. halving the BPM was a great effect for when the bg cuts.

Vegetable Soup (samurai7694) - ACCEPTED
- some of the 32nd bursts are rough but it's not a big deal since they can just be jumptrilled with how you patterned them
- i think you could afford to layer the snare a bit more in some parts but it's fine if you just want to focus on one thing at a time during these busy sections
- really cool ma file overall, nice job

Moe Moe Kyunstep (kommisar) - ACCEPTED
- missing 32nds @ 241s, 248.1s and 255.1s?
- well executed dubstep file with a good difficulty curve to keep it interesting

Poquito Mas (AlexDest) - ACCEPTED
- the buildup with the single notes and mines is really cool and the ending climax is also awesome

The Funk Is (Valor) - ACCEPTED
90.8s - ghost 32nd note at the end

Turntable Utabied (Valor) - REJECTED
song is incredibly draggy and repetitive

Mirror Mirror (rCaliberGX) - CONDITIONAL
90.88s - missing jump
96.83s - pattern choice could be better
121.9s - missing 16ths, mines probably should go
124s - mines really should go, this pattern is really really hard already
129s - mines in this section make no sense. they dont seem to go to anything, its really bad at 148s
although edit chart is an interesting idea it's really just going to confuse people and doesn't serve any purpose

otherwise it's a lot better from the original version and pretty good. fix those things and it's accepted

Take My Life (Skwid) - REJECTED
the ending in oni and edit are ridiculously harder than the rest of the file. the one in heavy is still a bit over the top in context with everything else. there's a huge difficulty spike between 1handed minijump jacks and 2h ones, especially when they have notes between them and last an extended period of time.
additionally the song doesn't really present many opportunities for stepping. it's the same chorus four times (and each half of the chorus is the same thing repeated twice), and it's also stepped with copy+paste, and then there's 8th jumpstream verses. the 12th section was interesting but that's pretty much it. otherwise the only error was a few incorrect minijacks in the jumpstreams.

BRAVE GLOW (Shiron) - REJECTED
- roll @ 6 isn't 4 notes
- don't understand the jumpglut @ 16
- missing jump @ 21.46 and 21.83
- another jumpglut here that i don't understand
- roll @ 49.21 should be ascending and feels like it starts 1/2 way through it
- second minijack and 3 note jack @ 199.9 don't reflect what is going on in the music
- not really a fan of the 192nd accents. i think they are unnecessary when they occur so often to the point where they lose their effect.
- in addition to these you have more layering inconsistencies and ghost notes/missing notes that i didn't mention. you should look at this file carefully and try to spot them.

Teenage Prostitute (Scintill) - ACCEPTED
funny song, and cool file for beginners or for going for MA scores

Quartz Rainbow (Plopadop) - CONDITIONAL
40.5s/beat119 - 4th jump?
70.1s/beat205 - 16th should be followed by another 8th, see also 75.6s, etc
92.0s, 92.3s, etc - missing 16th note, 94.8s - missing 16th note.
double check this whole section and make sure youve captured all the 16th notes, make any easier chart(s) you want, and i'll gladly accept it

Catkin and Teasel (Valor and Fission) - ACCEPTED
there are a few very minor things i'd point out, but it's already released as a single and fine as is

Zomby Woof (Scintill) - ACCEPTED
- Did you ever wake up in the morning with a zomby woof behind your eye?
no and if i did i'd probably punch it out of reflex. that probably wouldn't end well for me either way.
- 27.55s: missing 32nd (possibly intentional if you are stepping just vocals?)
- 101.84s: i don't think this should be a jump. also in this section, i would suggest trying to pr the jumps to that bell instrument.
- 149.28s: missing 32nd
- 197.14s: can't figure out what this 32nd is going to
- 287.01s: misrhythm
- 334.93s to 335.22s: should be 32nds

UNKNOWN (Skylaax) - ACCEPTED
- layering definitely wasn't what i was expecting for ssh but once i figured it out it was really cool and different
- 20.81s: not sure what these holds are going to. are these for the background synth?
- 48.43s: imo these trills should change to different kinds of trills as the synth changes pitch
- 66.88s: should be a jump because of your layering scheme
- 150.58s: should just be 32nd
- 152.9s: i agree with this being a flam but i don't think it's 3 notes
- 209.32s: really iff about these types of mines. if you want to leave them that's fine but i'm not a fan of them personally.
- 219.27s: i'd step the 16th here

Turn Back The Time (Wafles) - REJECTED
- keep in mind that this particular verdict wasn't one i made lightly. i put a lot of thought into it.
- 25.79s: 32nd is 16th
- 34.32s: same pitch as previous
- 51.12s: these are just 16ths, although theres chopiness that happens in the yellow note, you could step it as a gallop after the yellow note but it's not 24ths
- 73.06s: just 16ths like 51.12s
- 86.66s: 24th?
- 92.95s: just 16ths
- there might be some more things that i missed, but i wanted to get this review done sooner rather than later
- some hold usage seemed wishy washy. you have two note holds going to bass guitar notes that were one note holds before. if it's based on emphasis, then it's somewhat ambiguous.
- the song itself doesn't quite offer enough in the way of variety. there is a lot of 16th note triples but not really much of anything else in terms of patterning.

WOBBLE IMPACT (Razor) - CONDITIONAL
- i already talked to you on skype about general technical errors that need to be fixed.
- key matching could be better. you have different sounds that are on the same column.
- patterning in general feels lazy. there is a lot of left hand bias.
- i would step some more of the background music. leaving it out could make for an additional easier file along with some other changes.

The Hero (Razor) - REJECTED
- pr is really weak and i think you can do a lot better
- noticeable copy/paste is a huge strike against this file
- it's just not that interesting and i don't think a better cut would do much
- there is going to be several dubstep files in this pack already so subsequent ones are going to have to be exceptional. this file unfortunately doesn't make the cut.

Burgers Out (MrPopadopalis25) - ACCEPTED
- kinda confused as to why you have the snares @ 1.55s etc. stepped as jumps but not the ones @ .55s etc.
- 48.05s: holds this close to the next note are questionable but for a sound like this it's fine
- tons of really cool progression throughout the chart with good variety in patterning. exactly the type of files i'm looking for.

Rise Up (rCaliberGX) - REJECTED
- file isn't varied enough given patterning is mostly rolly jumpstream. this would be perfect for nuclear blast and i'd submit it there instead.

Last edited by Fission; 01-19-2014 at 03:55 PM..
Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Fission
no

pack title is subject to change btw
Old 12-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

Hype. I might send something.

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Fission
no

Vegetable Soup (samurai7694) - CONDITIONAL
- the color note usage caught me off guard and i thought it was really wrong until i actually checked it a few times haha
- some sound matching mistakes (e.g. @ 65.9s you have the same jump going to two different sounds). i think you'll notice more of these if you listen on a rate a bit slower
- trill is faster than it should be @ 69.3s
- it's a pretty cool file and very unique, just go over it again and make sure you fix those sound matching mistakes like the one i mentioned and i'll likely accept this
Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

Sent a file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
blindreper1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Fission
no

Anger of YuYu (debit13) - ACCEPTED
- patterning seems kinda lazy @ 19.8s. consider changing it a bit? it's not that noticeable so up to you.
- at 101.5s i would have stepped this guitar bend, but it's not a big deal either way.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

i have a file that has multiple charts, but only 1 of them is actually decent and i want to get that in before i redo the others. can i still send?

Released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you look like you're dSucks
rCaliberGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Fission
no

just leave the other charts out for now and send what you have
Old 12-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Fission
no

lemonlime (blind) - REJECTED
- there is so many technical errors and the layering quite frankly doesn't make any sense. file needs a massive overhaul.
- the 1[13] sections are really repetitive and don't really add much to the file. they should be shorter or just removed completely.

Last edited by Fission; 12-22-2013 at 08:11 PM..
Old 12-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Sent 2 charts.

Last edited by AlexDest; 12-22-2013 at 11:53 PM..
AlexDest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
James May
FFR Player

Gonna see if I can do something about this. Might do my own version of Kirlian Shores and put my Standard chart in it x:

Also, might work on a few of Alias Conrad Coldwood songs (She is...a Domino on the Run and Waltz for a Cherrytree specifically)

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I came. I sent a file. I left.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher

sent a file

Released!

Quote:
Old 12-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
Fission
no

apologies for my yellow zone review. going to take another look at it.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
Fission
no

now for the actual review of yellow zone..

Yellow Zone (Yulanik) - REJECTED
- there is a lot of ghost notes spread throughout the file as well as missing notes and layering inconsistencies. listen to it on a lower rate.
- you could make a pretty decent file out of this but you'll have to revamp a lot of it
Old 12-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
Fission
no

Acid Wolfpack (baq12) - ACCEPTED
- this file is reaaallllly sick. all of the difficulties are really well done so props.
- some of those mines are really mean on the oni chart but that's ok since you have the other difficulties
Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher

this is using nps+fudge factor for difficulties right?

Released!

Quote:
Old 12-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
Fission
no

never decided that but yeah might as well