Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the MLB World Series?
Boston Red Soxs 5 9.26%
New York Yankees 22 40.74%
L.A. Angles of Anaheim 5 9.26%
Minnesota Twins 1 1.85%
Los Angeles Dodgers 6 11.11%
St.Louis Cardnials 2 3.70%
Philadelphia Phillies 12 22.22%
Colorado Rockies 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #41
revolutionomega
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to revolutionomega Send a message via MSN to revolutionomega
Default Re: '09 MLB World Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz View Post
Double-post for ever-important yankee hatred.

If the yankees win it all, they should get a receipt instead of a trophy.

Mark Teixeira. $20,625,000.
A.J. Burnett. $16,500,000.
CC Sabathia. $15,285,714.
A World Series title for New York?
$208,097,414.

Not being a Yankee fan, priceless.
Yes, but it's still weather or not those players perform. As if you hadn't seen some of the best players in any sport (regardless of their paycheck) choke on a fat one. Besides, the Yankees will win the world series. But I do see Yanks v. Phils in the near future. p.s. yanks are winning 2-0 in the series wut wut!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #42
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Yo, who was the other LA Dodgers vote in the poll?

I need to give you a high five! o/
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #43
AC1speakerbox
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AC1speakerbox Send a message via MSN to AC1speakerbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz View Post
Mark Teixeira. $20,625,000.
A.J. Burnett. $16,500,000.
CC Sabathia. $15,285,714.
Stadium. $1,320,000,000
A World Series title for New York?
$1,528,097,414.

Not being a Yankee fan, priceless.
fix'd
AC1speakerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #44
DotKritic
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman8805 View Post
Admittedly, but it's just like the Cubs fan who ****ed up Moises Alou's chance to catch that foul ball however many years ago. We really will never know if it would've changed the course of the game.
It changed the tone of the Cubs players and changed the atmosphere in the stadium.

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #45
super kid
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to super kid Send a message via Yahoo to super kid

Quote:
Yo, who was the other LA Dodgers vote in the poll?

I need to give you a high five! o/
Me.

Also, I'm really pissed on how the Red Sox are doing. Seriously, losing 2-0 to the angles? WTF! Better step it up in Fenway.
super kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #46
AC1speakerbox
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AC1speakerbox Send a message via MSN to AC1speakerbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by super kid View Post
angles
wut?

Soxs
AC1speakerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #47
omgitznpv
cohoooooon

Send a message via AIM to omgitznpv Send a message via MSN to omgitznpv

yankees (as much as i will want to shoot myself in the crotch if this happens) over the rockies

NLDS

dodgers already over cardinals (sweep)

rockies over phillies

rockies have good pitching (jiminez, cook; lucky for the phillies de la rosa is out, otherwise he would murder utley/howard/ibanez) as well as good hitting (helton especially at coors field, tulo, hawpe, etc.). phillies are not a very good hitting team (lower obp, fewest runs scored with runner on 3rd, <2 out, etc.), but a very good home run hitting team (quite evident, also present in their relatively high team fb%). good pitching for phillies in lee (very good for game 4 in the light-aired coors field as a gb pitcher), but the other starters have been rather shaky (happ is not as good as his numbers indicate, FIP is over 4 iirc and it's kinda hard to get away with that at this point)

i doubt hammel will fare well this next game (horrid numbers home numbers, probably due to his higher fb%), but i don't think happ will either. high scoring game, but phillies bullpen as we all know is not exactly strong (neither is rockies, but its better), so i'll take the rockies. lee in game 4, bye, hello game 5. i can't imagine the phillies winning with hamels on the mound there.

ALDS

yankees over twins

this should be self-explanatory

angels over red sox

2-0 series lead. hello.

nlcs

rockies over dodgers

dodgers starters aren't unreliable (billingsley shaky of late, kershaw is good but still young and walks the world and giving free passes is not the way you want to go at coors field) but their bullpen rules. balanced, good lineup (really like ethier and kemp; manny might show up for the nlcs like he did for game 3 today). rockies already explained. rockies better overall hitting, imo, i see a split in the first two games (don't see both dodgers pitchers winning) and they can easily win 2/3 at coors. only have to split again back at dodger stadium, totally doable.

alcs

yankees over angels

angels bullpen isn't that great, rotation after lackey/weaver is kinda eh (and neither are really true aces); great overall hitting club (figgins, abreu really great obp% guys, today's vlad fits in to that lineup as the others make up for his lack of walks). yankees reek of win right now, though (except for burnett). so ya.

ws

yankees over rockies in 7

pretty evenly matched, rockies are built for a hitters park so they have ground ball pitchers, which work in coors and the new yankee stadium, but the yankees also have hitters built for these parks. too lazy for further analysis at this point but it feels like the yankees year basically.

there's really no point to baseball predictions, though, because for all we know, it's wholly possible for the nats to sweep the yankees (hypothetical 2009 ws)
omgitznpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #48
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotKritic View Post
It changed the tone of the Cubs players and changed the atmosphere in the stadium.
I'm not convinced in either case. But the Mauer call was definitely the worse of the two and would've had a much greater impact on that game. I'll concede that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super kid View Post
Me.
I love you. Also, I want the Angels to win...so they can play the Dodgers in the World Series

A Freeway WS would be soooo ****ing incredible.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #49
DotKritic
Forum User

I would love to see the Yanks lose at some point in the playoffs. Spending $50+ million on free agency and $1.5 billion on the stadium. Yup.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #50
DotKritic
Forum User

Quote:
Also, I want the Angels to win...so they can play the Dodgers in the World Series

A Freeway WS would be soooo ****ing incredible.
Angels did that in 2002 against the San Francisco Giants. The Dodgers have yet to do it.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #51
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitznpv View Post
nlcs

rockies over dodgers

dodgers starters aren't unreliable (billingsley shaky of late, kershaw is good but still young and walks the world and giving free passes is not the way you want to go at coors field) but their bullpen rules. balanced, good lineup (really like ethier and kemp; manny might show up for the nlcs like he did for game 3 today). rockies already explained. rockies better overall hitting, imo, i see a split in the first two games (don't see both dodgers pitchers winning) and they can easily win 2/3 at coors. only have to split again back at dodger stadium, totally doable.
Billingsley isn't in the starting rotation as far as I know...he'll be lucky to pitch game 4 if he's given the opportunity. For now, it's going to be Wolf, Kershaw and Padilla. Guarantee. Rockies have a decent 1-2-3 starting rotation, but bullpen is **** and even then their starters aren't as good as you make them out to be. Jimenez got lit up like a ****ing torch in Game 1. I'm fairly confident that the Dodgers can out-pitch the Rockies in any scenario.

Dodgers are 14-4 against the Rockies this year - that in itself is a big psychological bummer because everyone on the Rockies knows it. Also, whenever the Rockies had the chance to do some serious damage to the Dodgers in a couple of those series towards the end of the year, they completely **** the bed. The Rockies remember this as well.

Dodgers averaged nearly 6 runs per game against them. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that the Rockies have "better overall hitting". It could just be my Dodgers bias speaking right there, but you can't deny that Coors Field is a launch pad, so it kind of pads their stats. Coming down to it...the Dodgers get more base hits and are way more clutch than the Rockies, but the Rockies can put a team away with a couple homeruns pretty easily.

I still think the Dodgers would fare exceptionally well in a Rockies NLCS. I can only hope.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #52
super kid
FFR Player

Dodgers are doing well. They beat both Carpenter, and Wainwright (courtesy to Matt Holiday). I think the Dodgers are going to make it to the W.S. Defensively they are better as well as having a better bullpen, and of course the better closer when it comes down to saving games. They are better in the clutch, which counts the most.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #53
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

LA definitely got to Carpenter in Game 1, but Wainwright pitched really well and deserved a win. Kershaw pitched a phenomenal game though too.

With that said, the Dodgers NLDS MVP is still Matt Holliday's balls.

Last edited by foilman8805; 10-10-2009 at 09:48 PM..
Old 10-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #54
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

Dodgers didn't really beat Wainwright, I mean, yeah they won the game, but it had nothing to do with Wainwright. They got 3 hits off of him.
Vanilla Mnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #55
super kid
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Mnm View Post
Dodgers didn't really beat Wainwright, I mean, yeah they won the game, but it had nothing to do with Wainwright. They got 3 hits off of him.
Yeah i know they didn't beat Wainwright, but they still won two games against to go-getters for the NL Cy Young, and i think the Cards have a better bullpen than that of the Rockies. That's why I think the Dodgers will beat the Rockies.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #56
All_That_Chaz
Supreme Dictator For Life
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to All_That_Chaz

Quote:
Admittedly, but it's just like the Cubs fan who ****ed up Moises Alou's chance to catch that foul ball however many years ago. We really will never know if it would've changed the course of the game.
I'm pretty sure that catch would have been the third out of a series-clinching game. The Marlins came back to win that game and eventually the series. Unlike the botched Mauer call, that catch would have changed history.

Oh and all these people picking the Rockies to go to the series are out of their minds. They are by far the weakest team in NLDS. Picking them to win the NLCS is like picking the Twins to win the ALCS.
dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.
All_That_Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #57
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

Yeah, Colorado's pitching doesn't even compare to the other teams. They have hitting, but there hitting isn't really that great either. They just managed to get into the playoffs. I would've rather seen San Francisco get in because at least they have pitching. I honestly thought the Cardinals had the best team in the NL, but apparently not. They had two almost unhittable pitchers (Wainwright & Carpenter) and there hitting is real good too. I thought it was 1. Cardinals 2. Phillies 3. Dodgers 4. Rockies, but I suppose Cardinals just didn't get it done. Has anyone noticed that Albert Pujols doesn't contribute as much as he should during the playoffs? (He's my favorite player, so don't think I'm talking down on him because I don't like him or something) He should be doing much more for that team than he does during playoff time.

In the American League I'm not surprised with the way things are turning out. Yankees are clearly better than Minnesota, Minnesota made a surprise comeback and edged out Detroit. That game yesterday with LAA & Boston was actually a must win for LA even though they were up 1-0. LAA cannot beat Boston in Boston at all, during playoff times, during the season, no matter what, LAA just hasn't seemed to be able to get it done. I was surprised that LAA beat Josh Beckett to be honest, but the thing is, if LAA lost then they'd have to go to Boston for two games tied 1-1. So, I mean, that series might be far from over even though they're up 2-0. I actually still predict it to go to 5 games. I'll predict the Yankees/Twins series goes 3 games (Obviously Yankee winning). Colorado/Phillies series goes 4 games (Phillies winning), and we all know how LAD and STL turned out. ;p LETS GO YANKEES.
Vanilla Mnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #58
DotKritic
Forum User

HOW ABOUT TEAM USA SOCCER?! GOING TO THE 2010 WORLD CUP!! l

Old 10-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #59
omgitznpv
cohoooooon

Send a message via AIM to omgitznpv Send a message via MSN to omgitznpv

Quote:
Billingsley isn't in the starting rotation as far as I know...he'll be lucky to pitch game 4 if he's given the opportunity. For now, it's going to be Wolf, Kershaw and Padilla. Guarantee. Rockies have a decent 1-2-3 starting rotation, but bullpen is **** and even then their starters aren't as good as you make them out to be. Jimenez got lit up like a ****ing torch in Game 1. I'm fairly confident that the Dodgers can out-pitch the Rockies in any scenario.

Dodgers are 14-4 against the Rockies this year - that in itself is a big psychological bummer because everyone on the Rockies knows it. Also, whenever the Rockies had the chance to do some serious damage to the Dodgers in a couple of those series towards the end of the year, they completely **** the bed. The Rockies remember this as well.

Dodgers averaged nearly 6 runs per game against them. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that the Rockies have "better overall hitting". It could just be my Dodgers bias speaking right there, but you can't deny that Coors Field is a launch pad, so it kind of pads their stats. Coming down to it...the Dodgers get more base hits and are way more clutch than the Rockies, but the Rockies can put a team away with a couple homeruns pretty easily.

I still think the Dodgers would fare exceptionally well in a Rockies NLCS. I can only hope.
my bad, totally forgot wolf started game 1. haven't really followed billingsley much recently. rockies bullpen isn't that good i know, sorry i didn't mention that; only huston street is any good (tends to blow up every now and then though from what i've seen). i see a slight advantage in the rockies rotation, mainly because of coors field (jimenez/cook being ground ball pitchers). also, from a viewpoint of just general talent and/or game-management, i like cook more than wolf, de la rosa much more over padilla (i haven't seen much of a padilla, but from what i've heard has a really nice curveball when hes right), and jimenez and kershaw are about level (jimenez may have gotten lit up, but that's not what he normally does. pretty live stuff).

i pay little attention (though at least still some attention) to regular season season series stats because 1) it's the regular season and 2) all sorts of things happen over the regular season. coors field is indeed a launching pad, that i won't deny. but i just checked a few hitting stats (which are completely ballpark irrelevant, such as babip and ld%) and it seems like the rockies have an advantage there, though like said, it's just a few, so it may be off track. being on the east coast, though, i don't see much of the dodgers or the rockies so i'm not totally familiar with every positional player's hitting style/results, so you can correct me if i'm wrong. i might also have some tulo bias, so whatever. fyi, i like the rockies and the dodgers about the same, so there's not much team bias in factor for me. it's basically a lot of my opinion with some stats here and there, whatever i dunno. i really like what i see in hitters like helton, tulo, gonzalez, smith (not really hawpe or barmes) for the rockies, and ethier and kemp (not so much furcal) but for the dodgers it doesn't mean as much since i haven't seen much of the dodgers since the beginning of the season.

i don't imagine like an easy victory for the rockies or anything. not shocked whoever wins lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Mnm View Post
[the cardinals] hitting is real good too.
i dunno where you pulled this from because it's not really all that true. pujols and holliday are the main bats, with not that much else around them (mostly replacement-level hitters or hitters that don't drive in as many)

Last edited by omgitznpv; 10-10-2009 at 11:11 PM..
omgitznpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #60
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

rootin for dodgers only for thome
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote