Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164
Default FFR Exclusive SuperNOVA Info

If you've been following the "New Arcade DDR" thread, then you also likely know that Dance Dance Revolution SuperNOVA recently arrived at Brunswick Zone Naperville. Living nearby, Neonatrias and I decided to check it out. I am reporting to you, the community of FFR, our exclusive analyses, pictures, and videos. I personally will not put any of this information anywhere else, and it is exclusive to FFR only. Photos and videos in this thread are copyrights of me, Neonatrias, and FlashFlashRevolution.com, and you may not use them without the consent of one of us. Now that that's out of the way....

SuperNOVA synopsis:

SuperNOVA is in its own beautiful dedicated cabinet. The color scheme is red. Not a bright red, but a deep, blood-like red. It gives the machine a dark-yet-modern tone that is quite striking and pleasing to the eye. The cabinet art is beautiful as well.

The screen and interface are high-res and absolutely gorgeous. The screen itself is a flatscreen (I am uncertain of the size). The graphics are incredible and the framerate is top-notch; time between frames is literally unnoticeable. The music videos and dancer sequences are executed perfectly. The resolution is great and greatly surpasses that of even DDR EXTREME, and rivals that of In The Groove 2's dedicab flatscreen.

The rest of the machine has other new, interesting qualities. The buttons project from the machine instead of lying nearly flat on Konami's previous cabinets. The pads are nearly identical to previous models, but they are highly sensitive in comparison. The sensitivity is nearly identical to In The Groove 2's dedicab pads. The bars on the back of the pads are noticeably thinner, allowing for an easier grip.

The gameplay itself has minor tweaks as well. The noteskins have seen a dramatic change in name; default is now vivid (the original and official name), solo is now rainbow, and note has been added as a playable skin. Flat is the only skin that has remained unchanged. The names of the difficulties have been changed; beginner is now easy, light is now medium, standard is now difficult, and heavy is now expert. Challenge remains the same. There is a new jump modifier that converts jumps into single steps. Little has been renamed "cut" and has its own spot on the modifier screen. The scoring system has been switched back to 5th style, meaning that a full combo is necessary for a AA (in contrast with MAX2 style, which requires 93% Dance Points). A AA on the final stage opens up extra stage, which (as of the beta) is Fascination MaxX only, with 1.5x as the only modifier. The jumps count as 1 towards a combo, in contrast to many previous mixes where they were worth two. The beta version only offers single, double, and versus as playable modes.

The machine, as a beta program and cabinet, has its share of problems as well. The pads are not exactly top-notch. It is uncertain whether they need to be broken in, or if it will be a perpetuating problem. Some arrows are oversensitive, where stomping near the arrow will cause it to register, or in extreme cases, stick. Other sensors are faulty and don't register 100% of the time. The cabinet, as of now, has no volume control, and has no bass support. Betson has reportedly claimed that they will remedy this issue on-site in the near future. Many of the songs, especially old ones, are off-sync, probably resulting from a rushed beta and conversion irregularities. Only 60 seconds are allowed for song selection, and the time does not freeze while scrolling, leaving little time to browse the extensive song selection (all of which were not included in this version of the beta). Sorts will not hold; alpha sort will revert back to default sort after the selected song is finished. If the left or right select button is held on the song select screen, the song modules become choppy and unreadable. The modifier screen does not have a "go back" option; if a mistake is made, one cannot go back if he or she has moved to the next modifier. A clipboard and paper was provided for players to present problems they found, as well as recommendations as well as feedback, so many problems will likely be remedied by the final release, as well as some other tweaks.

That's about it for the synopsis. But, here's what you really wanted to see: FFR's exclusive pictures that you'll see here first. Note that you'll see the aftereffects of a camera flash, but the lights were low so that the flash was necessary to get decent shots.

Full frontal views:

Profile shots:

Side views:

The marquee:

The bar, and a bit of the pad:

Freak that body:

Sensitivity demos:

Screenshots:

A playing shot:

The infamous BZ credit system (for those that wondered about the odd device on the front of the machine):

That's about all we have for photos. These are the best out there, and remember, you saw them first here, on FFR. Neon will be uploading videos shortly that showcase the machine's awesome graphics capabilities.

Enjoy, and leave your thoughts and feedback. Dance Dance Revolution SuperNOVA hits the arcades, completed, this year!

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Neonatrias
MAЯISA
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Neonatrias Send a message via Yahoo to Neonatrias Send a message via Skype™ to Neonatrias
Default RE: FFR Exclusive SuperNOVA Info

Video 1: Fascination MaxX Failure -- Do take note that first, the pads are over-responsive, and second, I did get much further later on. Don't use this as a meter of my skill. =P

Video 2: Menu scrolls and 95% of DoLL -- Great video that displays the graphical and background video work Konami did. Which is very impressive. Sorry for the shaky camera, here, by the way.

Video 3: Ki-Se-Ki FULL VIDEO -- The song Ki-Se-Ki, by BeForU, in its entirety! Dig the background video. Note that I make snide remarks throughout. =)
Old 02-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
hyperhedgehog2k1
FFR Player

Pretty sweet. That and a lot of the screens were of DoLL, which makes me happy.
hyperhedgehog2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
abyss05
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Is Doll a 10 footer?

I've been here longer than you have.
abyss05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
Snapps
NO DOUBT GET LOUD
FFR Simfile Author

DoLL from what I remember was a 8.

I was very close to playing this when it was in California. I was only a 30 minute drive. Too bad I wasn't able to get down to it on the first Friday, or else I would have had many pics of the machine with Naoki and Taka.
Snapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
Neonatrias
MAЯISA

Send a message via AIM to Neonatrias Send a message via Yahoo to Neonatrias Send a message via Skype™ to Neonatrias

No, DoLL is (I think) a 7. Fairly easy, but the steps are decent. There are also Challenge steps which are a 9. Those are also fun.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
Snapps
NO DOUBT GET LOUD
FFR Simfile Author

When did they add Challenge steps? That wasn't there at the California test location.
Snapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Neonatrias
MAЯISA

I dunno, but I'm like 99% sure that there were.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
hyperhedgehog2k1
FFR Player

Default Re: RE: FFR Exclusive SuperNOVA Info

I'm pretty sure the DoLL steps in SN are the same ones that are in STR!KE.
hyperhedgehog2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
Kashazu
FFR Player

features plz

Hay; how are you, fine. Lets do the tango? for real. is the sky blue.
Kashazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #11
Neonatrias
MAЯISA

All videos are up.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
deposition
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to deposition

This truely seems like it would have been a good predecessor of ITG2.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #13
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonatrias
Video of some scrolling and most of DoLL has been posted.
Note that the scrolling is one tap at a time, not holding.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Neonatrias
MAЯISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposition
This truely seems like it would have been a good predecessor of ITG2.
Konami isn't racing against RoXoR in regards to difficulty. It's something I've wanted to get through people's heads for a while now.

ITG is fun for its difficulty. It presents constant challenges and tests of stamina.
DDR is better for those little odds and ends like spins, freestyling, and generally having fun.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:56 PM   #15
TD_Project
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TD_Project Send a message via MSN to TD_Project Send a message via Yahoo to TD_Project
Default Pff

just gonna give a response but maybe the songs would be a bit more fun if you werent hugging the bar anyways, thats how we dont play here in Winnipeg, we got bar-less and we get pretty damn high scores. ( AAA Legend of Maxx and crap like that )

Just an opinion, no more hugging, much more fun

DDR SuperNova looks cool but ITG2 Pump It Up won me over
TD_Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
DDRMax2Fan
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to DDRMax2Fan
Default RE: Pff

looks pretty sweet i'm gonna be looking forward to seeing it in the arcades soon!!

Referral name = Jay x izzle

Just copy and paste my name

Anarchy!!
DDRMax2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #17
Neonatrias
MAЯISA

Default Re: Pff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_Project
just gonna give a response but maybe the songs would be a bit more fun if you werent hugging the bar anyways, thats how we dont play here in Winnipeg, we got bar-less and we get pretty damn high scores. ( AAA Legend of Maxx and crap like that )

Just an opinion, no more hugging, much more fun

DDR SuperNova looks cool but ITG2 Pump It Up won me over
I don't really care, to be honest. Fascination MaxX is only, what, 600BPM scroll speed? I can't react that fast. My legs are too long and I play in the middles of the panels. Also, my balance isn't very good since I'm tall and thin. Besides, I never said that it wasn't fun, did I?

PS - Pleading guilty to Bar Rape accusation out of left field. =)

Lastly, to keep on topic. Fascination is difficult. Very, very difficult in a technical sense. It doesn't drain you like the other MAXes tend to. It makes you think above all else.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:51 PM   #18
ckj846
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ckj846
Default RE: Re: Pff

I am looking forward to this now. I was impressed by the backgrounds and the music. Very very nice Konami. btw, is the game always on solo mode or did you put it on as an effect? I find solo mode annoying. Although it makes it easier, I like it better without the colors like the origianl DDR(the one I learned on).
O_o
pyro31191: so they can buy dildos instead of fleshlights
ckj846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:08 PM   #19
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Network Security Analyst

Send a message via AIM to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR Send a message via MSN to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR

DUDE!!! TEll me about things like this sooner. Thats not too far for me and I'd really like to play this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdarkness
I'm light f**king darkness
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #20
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I seriously can't wait for SuperNOVA now. The game looks awesome, screw ITG.
Rebirth0 is offline   Reply With Quote