Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #81
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Let's talk about the video game industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu13 View Post
i've been increasingly finding enjoyment in video games through exploits; be it glitches, sequence breaking, low level/percentage runs, stuff like that. makes many modern games more interesting, and breathes new life into older games. i suggest trying it out if you haven't, maybe it'll help break the monotony.
Add to this list speedrunning. Speedrunning games is a ton of fun.

As is TASing them, but tool-assistance is sort of a "different thing" that is more akin to dissecting a game than it is actually playing it... but you can have a hell of a lot of fun dissecting a game too

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #82
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

I don't count TASing as legit pwning a game though.
It's more like an artistic interpretation of what it might look like, but not actual pwnage itself.

Plus most of the time TAS runs take advantage of glitches in how a game runs in a particular emulator or such, which it would run differently on the actual hardware. When you get to pixel-perfect precision, this tends to matter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #83
FontSize72LOL
☆~{2D <3}~☆
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callipygian View Post
Some general trends I've been seeing:

- Like in the movies: more and more attention goes to graphics and less and less to the complexity of the story line

- Addiction instead of fun: the WoW-syndrome of appealing to the grinding lust of teenage gamers. Getting enough badges for higher tier gear or getting that 'killing 2000 rare spawn' achievement makes gaming a drudgery.

- Gimmicks and gadgets instead of game improvement. Get people to play a MMO that has potential and then focusing on skins and collector items instead of tuning gaming mechanics

Some games that I can recommend:

- Oblivion
- Civilization IV (with Beyond the Sword expansion)
- Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
- Dragon Age (I and II)
Really, You'd recommend this streamlined PoS? This game is one of the biggest things wrong with the gaming industry right now.

I've played Dragon Age II, and beat it (Yeah, i know... I'm not very proud of it) The story wasn't bad, but certainly doesn't hold a candle to the complexity that Dragon Age: Origins had. The combat albeit more fluid and entertaining was watered down by the shitty 'Wave based mobs pop out of nowhere' system. They essentially recycled 10 different places throughout the entire game. It honestly makes me sad to say that i have the DLC for this game as well, and i can tell you... I actually got more enjoyment out of Legacy / Mark of the Assassin than i did out of playing most of that game. You can sum up Dragon Age II in one word... "Lazy".

This is the kind of thing that is wrong with the gaming industry. I wont go into the whole Hardcore VS Casual aspect, but i will say one thing. A lot of games getting produced today just feel lazy. Sure, they can look great, but you can see cut corners everywhere, and lots of times, these cut corners are sold back to us in the form of DLC. This whole DLC assault going on in this generation of games is sickening. Dungeon Defenders is a good example of a game that rapes you with DLC. The Original Price of the game was $15. To get all of the DLC (Full Price) You have to spend around $40. This is more than 2.5x the price of the game.

On top of all of that, games these days are selling something called a "Season Pass" for DLC. This is the greediest thing I've ever seen. You're basically paying for a promise that you'll get any DLC developed within a period of time. You're not guaranteed to get anything at all. Games doing this include: Borderlands 2, Darksiders 2, Saints Row: The Third, and Quantum Conundrum.

Lol @ this forum being so dead.

Get Kancho'd

FontSize72LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #84
Tristana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FontSize72LOL View Post
Really, You'd recommend this streamlined PoS? This game is one of the biggest things wrong with the gaming industry right now.

I've played Dragon Age II, and beat it (Yeah, i know... I'm not very proud of it) The story wasn't bad, but certainly doesn't hold a candle to the complexity that Dragon Age: Origins had. The combat albeit more fluid and entertaining was watered down by the shitty 'Wave based mobs pop out of nowhere' system. They essentially recycled 10 different places throughout the entire game. It honestly makes me sad to say that i have the DLC for this game as well, and i can tell you... I actually got more enjoyment out of Legacy / Mark of the Assassin than i did out of playing most of that game. You can sum up Dragon Age II in one word... "Lazy".

This is the kind of thing that is wrong with the gaming industry. I wont go into the whole Hardcore VS Casual aspect, but i will say one thing. A lot of games getting produced today just feel lazy. Sure, they can look great, but you can see cut corners everywhere, and lots of times, these cut corners are sold back to us in the form of DLC. This whole DLC assault going on in this generation of games is sickening. Dungeon Defenders is a good example of a game that rapes you with DLC. The Original Price of the game was $15. To get all of the DLC (Full Price) You have to spend around $40. This is more than 2.5x the price of the game.

On top of all of that, games these days are selling something called a "Season Pass" for DLC. This is the greediest thing I've ever seen. You're basically paying for a promise that you'll get any DLC developed within a period of time. You're not guaranteed to get anything at all. Games doing this include: Borderlands 2, Darksiders 2, Saints Row: The Third, and Quantum Conundrum.

Lol @ this forum being so dead.
too bad borderlands is an amazing game (1 and 2 included)

also board is :
Tristana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #85
FontSize72LOL
☆~{2D <3}~☆
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristana View Post
too bad borderlands is an amazing game (1 and 2 included)

also board is :
I never said Borderlands 1 or 2 was bad, just the idea of paying for a season pass (A promise), is bad. Unless that season pass guarantees you a certain amount of DLC at fair value (In which it becomes more akin to a pre-purchase) Its a ripoff.

Get Kancho'd

FontSize72LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #86
Tristana
Banned

these days games are so bad and dont offer replay value

i'm gladly willing to support developers like 2kgames through season passes and $$$
i want them to make more good games

but i do think DLCs for shit like premade shit (pay 2 unlock shit thats already on disc!@!, Street Fighter x Tekken characters) and dumber shit (prestige shit for cal of duty) is dumb
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #87
Senip
Forum User

I hate borderlands 1 and 2, honestly. It's like "HERE I'LL JUST DROP THESE 5 MILLION PIECES OF LOOT DONT MIND ME!"
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #88
Tristana
Banned

if ur playing borderlands for the items ur doing it wrong

play with irl friends !!

produce unforgettable moments while drunk
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #89
Emanresu13
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

bl2 season pass says you're getting 4 dlc packs so it is like a pre-purchase

same with bf3 premium, they've stated what they're selling

sf x tekken and on-disc dlc in general is pretty sleazy (thx capcom)

can't really make a good judgement on cod but i know i hate activision and cod so it's probably awful
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
^
Emanresu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #90
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

So I am watching my friend play. She doesn't call herself a gamer. She doesn't brag that she has some of the best games in her library of games. She just plays and expects me to share the same love of the games. While watching her play I notice that she gets excited over the smallest things in games that I have seen over a thousand times in other games.

It was only recently that I noticed how sad that last sentence is. I've seen too many things in video games and it's become monotonous. I can't be excited over the simple things in them anymore. I feel like when I was younger video games were almost magical and that they had some special taint over my childhood. Watching my friend reminded me of that fact.

It seems that because I have played so many video games that it just seems so damn expected when a certain sequence happens or what not. I can't enjoy it because I am thinking about how damn expected it was and why it couldn't have been less expected. Or how easy the battle was and how I remember it being tough for another person, or even just thinking that it might've been tough for people.

What I have obtained from this experience is a new perspective.. what if we all are just over analyzing games because we think that they could be so much better. What if that very thought is just blinding us from the perfection of certain games around us? I honestly envy that girl who finds the smallest things in games enjoyable, because she's happier playing them than I am. I wish I could get that back.

//videogaming emo post 2012
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote