Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #2061
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Suggestions

could have sworn that wasn't the case but w/e. either way, one of the game managers should elaborate on the "why not" since it seems to be something that a lot of players want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuyasha View Post
give people more opportunity to rush through songs for a quick FC, which could then lead to even more mashing for even more FCs.
conversely, there is more chances to mess up FCs because of hidden jacks or the like. also, nobody should care about FCs. FCs don't mean anything in FFR, it just means you mashed well enough to not CB or better. you need to actually check their levelranks.
Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #2062
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuyasha View Post
I dunno, not trying to come up with an arbitrary example to justify not allowing higher rate scores, just my two cents. AAA on higher rates may be harder to achieve, and therefore show more skill, but ultimately that is not the same as AAA on normal rate.
it is not an AAA on a normal rate, it's an AAA on a higher rate which shows your skill

basically the levelranks are saying: "i can AAA this file on 1.0"
and if you can AAA on something higher than 1.0 then it's like saying "i can do even better, but i can AAA on 1.0 as well"

it's like what if somebody mashed a FC on rato 1.1, what difference does that make versus a mashed FC on rato 1.0? if anything it's harder to mash FC rato on 1.1 so if somebody gets a better scores on rato 1.1 mashed than rato 1.0 mashed, then the 1.1 score should replace the 1.0 score

and if the person could mash fc rato 1.1, they could probably get a better score on 1.0 (which would then replace the mash fc 1.1 score)

also it provides an incentive for people to start playing most of the genres (esp. for medium to higher level players, which i consider to be a good portion of the site, like d3+)
most players do not go back to difficulty range 1-50 once they're past that.. they keep moving up with their skill level and if they've never played certain songs from difficulty 1-50, they will probably never touch those (unless they have a shitton of time & dedication)

basically a lot of files get boring once you're way past the skill level (d3 players won't play level 10 songs for fun), and rewarding players for achieving scores on better rates than 1.0 provides a new refreshing experience (with rewards!) for the majority of players

who wouldnt want to play secret zombie room on 1.5 lol

Last edited by mi40; 07-10-2013 at 03:01 PM..
mi40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #2063
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

If rates recorded, it would make Vrofl easier to get (anyone could take any song to the density of whoring vrofl, something I am not against). If higher rates make easy songs more interesting and fun for some, I don't see the reason not to allow it. Credit whoring would be easier too, for those who want to earn back gambling hall losses.

I'm for it (+2cents)

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #2064
Fission
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi40 View Post
the 1.1 score should replace the 1.0 score
ehhhhhhh

you can muck with the frames by messing around with rates. now that i think of it, i feel like that would be the main problem with counting AAAs on different rates
Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #2065
ryuyasha
Rhythm is Magic
FFR Veteran

Of course FCs do not matter. But the score-keeping thinks otherwise. Plus there are at least 2 different achievement tokens based on percent of public song FCs.

Edit: Way to go Sax. That is totally a legit reason. And Fission, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
No matter what tournament you play it's likely you're going to come across something you don't like or are very bad at. If you want to get into the competitive side of FFR you need to learn how to deal with and overcome these songs/charts.

Last edited by ryuyasha; 07-10-2013 at 03:03 PM..
ryuyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #2066
mi40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fission View Post
ehhhhhhh

you can muck with the frames by messing around with rates. now that i think of it, i feel like that would be the main problem with counting AAAs on different rates
higher rates would cause worse frame placements in every single case so idk

also people need to realize, higher rates require that much more stamina & skill - and you're being rewarded for that

think of something lower than 1.0 as practice mode (nothing counts)
but anything higher than 1.0 is a challenge

ex)
if you're gonna play vertex beta 1.5 it's gonna be hard as fuck, and you're only going to be saving like 30 seconds per song
so even if you were to 'whore' for vrofl, you're gonna have that much of a harder time FCing a song
rato has a really good NPS but people dont use it to whore vrofl because it's stupidly hard and hard to FC
same case with higher rates, try whoring EHHS 1.5 for grandtotal, you won't even FC half the time lol

Last edited by mi40; 07-10-2013 at 03:05 PM..
mi40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #2067
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

My only qualm with allowing rates higher than 1.0 to record on the same scoreboard is for instances where a higher rate actually makes the song easier to PA, and these instances do exist given FFR's timing and the way the converter adjusts frames for the file on specific rates. If the song is legitimately more difficult on the higher rate (which it will be 99.5% of the time), obviously the player is more than capable of doing just as well or better on a lower rate, so why not record it?

The argument Fission posted that was supposedly mine is incredibly dumb and I'm upset that my name is being tagged to it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #2068
Fission
no

not really that legit of a reason imho. you can just modify vrofl requirements and credit counts for higher rates. problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
The argument Fission posted that was supposedly mine is incredibly dumb and I'm upset that my name is being tagged to it lol
i already said that if you didn't make that argument, feel free to correct me. i was just really convinced you did, but i'll take your word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi40 View Post
higher rates would cause worse frame placements in every single case so idk
it makes rolls easier in the sense that it makes the frames closer together so they are more forgiving if you aren't as consistent. same with hitting trills as jumps on higher rates.

Last edited by Fission; 07-10-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #2069
mi40

i hope this gets discussed between the site admins cause it would add a LOT more replay value to the game

(with incentives of course, like being rewarded for AAAing beethoven virus on 1.5, which would be an AAA in levelranks + same GT/creds you would've gotten as 1.0)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #2070
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

i'd like to say, AJ (TC_Halogen) tried to test this theory with something like, Skeletor. At around maybe 1.2/1.3, the rolls would basically be jumptrillable, leading to easy AAA right?

yeah, even at his level, he says the initial first half is dumb, and even the speed of the roll gets super dumb

basically, cool, frame gaps get fixed, but you're still playing the song faster than before, and the "cheating patterns" may be easier, but you're still playing a faster, more draining song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.

Last edited by YoshL; 07-10-2013 at 03:11 PM..
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #2071
Fission
no

+1 to adding rate incentives
Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #2072
ryuyasha
Rhythm is Magic
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fission View Post
not really that legit of a reason imho. you can just modify vrofl requirements and credit counts for higher rates. problem solved..
But would you want to have to balance all that out? That is not something you could just slap a coefficient on and have it work, or even a standard function curve.

Quote:
No matter what tournament you play it's likely you're going to come across something you don't like or are very bad at. If you want to get into the competitive side of FFR you need to learn how to deal with and overcome these songs/charts.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #2073
mi40

credit counts & GT are the same for higher rate songs & 1.0 songs

the only thing is the time spent

but for the most part the time saved playing a song on a higher rate goes into an increased difficulty (harder to FC, thus harder to score on, thus leading to a lower GT and credit count)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #2074
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quote:
My only qualm with allowing rates higher than 1.0 to record on the same scoreboard is for instances where a higher rate actually makes the song easier to PA, and these instances do exist given FFR's timing and the way the converter adjusts frames for the file on specific rates.
Maybe these songs just need framer fixes.

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #2075
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

posting a new post so it doesn't get lost in debate lol

look at SM. People don't go wow you put an ez quad file on rates and still quad it that's definitely going against what was originally intended, you don't have the skill to sit through a longer song. bluh

It's not a skill or even like, hard to sit through long songs. It's just tedious, and makes playing FFR not fun. Make FFR more fun. let higher rates record.

Although someone made a point a while back to maybe only let rates at an increment of .1 to record so you don't have people going like 1.0461x to manipulate frames or some dumb crap

also i dare someone to try SSSG on like 4x, seriously that's the most funny crap ever, all the vibrating needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #2076
Fission
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
look at SM. People don't go wow you put an ez quad file on rates and still quad it that's definitely going against what was originally intended, you don't have the skill to sit through a longer song. bluh

It's not a skill or even like, hard to sit through long songs. It's just tedious, and makes playing FFR not fun. Make FFR more fun. let higher rates record.
^^
Old 07-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #2077
mi40

made by the people for tha people....
Old 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #2078
ryuyasha
Rhythm is Magic
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
also i dare someone to try SSSG on like 4x, seriously that's the most funny crap ever, all the vibrating needed.
That was so ick. Even after I found a reasonable speedmod (3x).

Quote:
Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #2079
axith
FFR Veteran
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
My only qualm with allowing rates higher than 1.0 to record on the same scoreboard is for instances where a higher rate actually makes the song easier to PA, and these instances do exist given FFR's timing and the way the converter adjusts frames for the file on specific rates.
I imagine it would make Story of Snowman and Sunshine Girl easier to AAA. Or make files with barely non-jumptrillable rolls easier too. As for the 'easier to grind for GTS and creds' arguement. I say that anyone who cares to mash for vrofl, or Dendrite v2 can do it. It sucks to mash for them. Getting scores recorded on higher rates won't really make mashing for them suck any less.

I don't know if the site architecture is such that a score with rates can be put toward credit count and gts, but not to the levelranks. But if this is an option, I think I'd prefer it. Otherwise. I like the idea of scores on rates 1.1 and higher recording.
axith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #2080
mi40

why would GT/credit count be prioritized and not levelranks lol