I'll work on an orbular-style noteskin that based off of dividebyzero
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2016, 02:47 PM   #123
James May
FFR Player

Default Re: The Etterna Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolygonEater View Post
I made the installer install the redistributable/direct X if either are missing/too old, so I guess there's some way my check fails on some systems since it worked every time on my machine. :\
What I had to do to fix it was install both the x64.exe & the x86.exe installer in order for the .dll file to even show up on my computer. Not sure why but it was a recent issue from when I looked at the Microsoft help page.

Edit: From here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-8734a440d516

Quote:
Go to Microsoft website and download the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/down....aspx?id=48145. You are going to want to select both ‘vc_redist.x64.exe’ and ‘vc_redist.x86.exe’ files to download. Once the files are downloaded, restart the computer as prompted.
(Of course, I didn't have to restart my computer but it's been a common issue with other programs that needed that .dll)

Last edited by James May; 12-4-2016 at 02:50 PM..
James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2016, 05:11 PM   #124
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
What I had to do to fix it was install both the x64.exe & the x86.exe installer in order for the .dll file to even show up on my computer. Not sure why but it was a recent issue from when I looked at the Microsoft help page.

Edit: From here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-8734a440d516

(Of course, I didn't have to restart my computer but it's been a common issue with other programs that needed that .dll)
you technically only need the x86 installer because this is still a 32-bit program
you shouldn't need a restart but anything you install something like this, it's recommended
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2016, 05:16 PM   #125
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra

Man the theme and build are great and such
but for some reason
the timing window feels different
like for the receptors
or maybe the default offset or something
and that upsets me
because I'm already rubbish
and it's making me more rubbish
which is a bad feeling.

Also domestic abuse by wife tbh but thats normal.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ

Last edited by Celirra; 12-4-2016 at 05:32 PM..
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2016, 06:33 PM   #126
Cataclysm-
FFR Player

I am having this odd issue where my screen will flash a colored line during gameplay.(There will be a line of white, red,or yellow that shoots across the screen.) Only occurs during gameplay. Its like a graphical glitch or something. I tried recording but oddly enough it didn't occur when I recorded.

Last edited by Cataclysm-; 12-4-2016 at 06:33 PM..
Cataclysm- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2016, 07:49 PM   #127
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

How set avatar

EDIT: I see a folder C:\Stepmania - Etterna\Themes\Til Death\Graphics\Player avatar with images in it ;o

I'm just gonna modify _fallback.png for now until I figure out the real way to change it ;p

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 12-4-2016 at 07:54 PM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2016, 09:23 PM   #128
Gruzzly_Bear
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
How set avatar

EDIT: I see a folder C:\Stepmania - Etterna\Themes\Til Death\Graphics\Player avatar with images in it ;o

I'm just gonna modify _fallback.png for now until I figure out the real way to change it ;p
drop avatar in avatar folder

go to song select and double tap select (should be bound to /)

press left and right to change avatar and enter to set it

(note in the build left and right is set to Z and M respectively)
everyone has a different idea of what division 8 is and where the cutoffs are and what constitutes them and then people just pull numbers out of their ass and try to compare those numbers to other people pulling numbers out of their ass based on totally different metrics and then you just a self propelled self reinforcing shitfest of mass confusion so deep that people don't even realize they're confused
Gruzzly_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2016, 01:23 AM   #129
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
like for the receptors
or maybe the default offset or something
nothing was changed that would directly affect timing since the last release of the custom build and if you copied your save folder including preferences.ini then gameplay should be identical

if this isn't the case then it's possible you had unlimited fps set for gameplay on the old installation while the new one caps it to by default 1000 and that would affect timng, or maybe you had vsync on and it's set to default off, idk i have no control over this

but if you did the only there are a bunch of stupid things that could possibly alter gameplay timing. the gameplay screen has become much less lua reliant with a lot of what used to be done in lua being done in c++, which tends to speed it up a good bit. also game memory usage has also been improved since the last build especially during first load/cache and this can also (dont ask me why) affect timing. both of these are on order of like maybe 5ms adjustment factor max but it's possible they're compounding each other, it shouldnt take more than 2 days to adjust though

if you are still having problems then use the errorbar/eval screen offset data to figure out whether or not you're hitting early or late and then correct it with lane cover, that's what those tools are there for

it's also possible that we inadvertently changed something that should have nothing to do with timing but does anyway because sm5devs, but it's unlikely and if it's the case I'll know the next time I stream. I'm probably the most sensitive person on the planet when it comes to minute changes throwing my game off (like seriously i can't play with logtodisk enabled becasue the game feels different even though the game logs nothing during gameplay and it doesn't make sense???)

so i'll investigate, given that i've been streaming on the most current development build every time i play it (i've been building a new installer each stream not just recompiling) and i havent had any issues since last i streamed would have to be something that was changed within the last few days which narrows it if it exists down quite substantially, i will say that i did 3 hours of playing to test the installer this morning before we released it but it's also possible that the timing difference worked in my favor (i was playing wrist down and didnt bother changing any of the defaults to match my playing installation - did get 16p on renatus though so its not like timing is horribly broken)

psa: the commit that ignored the maxhighscore preferences never got merged into the release branch which is why some scores aren't getting recorded, set the relevant preferences to 200 or something safe until the next update

@cata wot??? try to get it recorded

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 12-5-2016 at 01:58 AM..
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2016, 01:56 AM   #130
Celirra
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
[long wall of text]

I think it has something to do with my setup honestly and it's a simple fix either way, seems most other people don't have the same issue.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 12-5-2016, 02:05 AM   #131
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

well a painless transition between versions/other builds is one of my highest priorities, for myself if nothing else

if we did do something to fuck timing then you can be sure as shit we're going to root it out and fix it, but it's most likely that any timing issues are the result of discrepancies between installation configs
Old 12-5-2016, 02:51 AM   #132
Celirra
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
well a painless transition between versions/other builds is one of my highest priorities, for myself if nothing else

if we did do something to fuck timing then you can be sure as shit we're going to root it out and fix it, but it's most likely that any timing issues are the result of discrepancies between installation configs
I'll look into it a bit after my exams and report back, but I think it's mostly on my end honestly.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 12-5-2016, 09:13 AM   #133
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I'll look into it a bit after my exams and report back, but I think it's mostly on my end honestly.
Have you tried reducing the receptor size? That worked for me when I was going back onto Stepmania and had to adjust to the new build

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2016, 09:48 AM   #134
Elekton
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

man im happy to have calculated ratings in-game, im actually going to play random files now
Old 12-5-2016, 02:10 PM   #135
Celirra
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Have you tried reducing the receptor size? That worked for me when I was going back onto Stepmania and had to adjust to the new build
Nah that is and always has been 85% (30% mini) for me, so it's not that; I'm pretty sure if nothing else it's mostly just me needing to get used to lower lag and such, until I actually work through and try to fix settings when I have time.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 12-5-2016, 02:39 PM   #136
Cataclysm-
FFR Player

Alright so the screen thing was on my end. Caliber helped me fix it.
Cataclysm- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2016, 07:05 PM   #137
n1nj4_AR
FFR Player

Thumbs up Re: The Etterna Project

I just tested the build and I love it.

The timing window feels different, but in a good way.

The theme is amazing, the judgment window has what i've always wanted to see.

Kudos guys!

sm 5.0 noteskins won't work on this build, right?

If they don't, i'll have to learn how to port one of 'em haha

(I have no idea how to do that, but i'll figure it out eventually)

forget about that last thing, i thought noteskins weren't compatible. They work ^^"
sorry~

Washed up, tired and somewhat still amused.

Last edited by n1nj4_AR; 12-5-2016 at 07:31 PM..
n1nj4_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2016, 05:46 PM   #138
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

0.51 coming tomorrow with the fix to the highscore limit not being ignored as well as some other stuff

if you haven't modified the base theme and you installed etterna into the default location you can update just by letting the uninstaller run and then reinstalling. the installer no longer deletes your cache so updating in this circumstance will be nearly instantaneous

if you have made modifications to the theme and you install into your current directory the installer will overwrite them so you'll want to move the theme out and run the uninstaller/installer or install into a new directory and migrate your save folder, your theme changes, and probably your cache too since it makes the whole process less tedious

you'll want to merge your theme changes into the installed theme; leaving multiple copies of til death in your themes folder is extremely inadvisable (it has resulted in some strange and frustrating bugs during development)

i'll try to keep the need to remake personalization changes to the theme to a minimum, but the development of the build and theme are so closely intertwined that it's not realistic to eliminate it

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 12-6-2016 at 05:55 PM..
Old 12-7-2016, 08:05 AM   #139
LHB
FFR Player

Would it be possible to implement .dwi support for the new build? A lot of old files still use .dwi and not sure whether converting all of them would take less time.
LHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2016, 08:54 AM   #140
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHB View Post
Would it be possible to implement .dwi support for the new build? A lot of old files still use .dwi and not sure whether converting all of them would take less time.
so i poked around with this for a little bit and here's what I came up with; upon first moving a file/pack with only dwi files into your songs folder the game reads the dwi and converts them into .sm and drops them into their respective songs folders

this process somehow manages to engage the calculator and properly cache the file without properly storing the results into the steps object, so when the theme tries to index the difficulties from the songs objects in memory there's an access violation crash

on your subsequent load the files will instead be loaded from cache and they should work fine, even if you have caching disabled the game will search for the .sm it wrote to load from first before deferring to dwi

tl;dr restarting the game should fix it and the files should be supported and i'll try to fix whatever is causing the crash (easiest way is just to initialize calculator results to 0s), if the game crashes after subsequent loads then there's a bigger problem which i can't reproduce

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 12-7-2016 at 08:56 AM..