Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2003, 09:57 AM   #1
quantsini
FFR Player

Default what does FLCL try to portray in human society?

I'm having some debates whether FLCL tries to portray that humans tend to live in illusion (AKA Plato's Parable of the Cave), or there is no real world, and we're all living inside a fantasy within our minds (AKA The Matrix)?

i'd like to know what think this anime tries to portray.
quantsini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:00 AM   #2
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

FLCL? What? Explain, please.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #3
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Well... even though i dont know what FLCL is, i will respond to your matrix theroy.
I dont believe in that, if we are all in a dream world, who is dreaming it, and how did THEY get there, and if we are just a dream, or controlled by computers or something, why dont they just erase our memory of the subject, makes yah think if this all is just in our heads.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:07 AM   #4
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

See, here's the interesting thing, and I've actually thought about it a lot. A man who cannot touch, hear, see, smell, or taste literally has no way to know what is happening in the world, no way to distinguish whether he is awake or sleeping, no way to tell if he is alive or dead. We could all be in the Matrix right now, but we wouldnt' be able to tell. Ever.

Here's something I've thought about. This is from the Matrix:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
What is real? If you're talking about what you can taste, and touch, and smell, then 'real' is simply the recognition of electrical impluses translated by your brain. What's to say that all of this isn't 'real'?
If you've ever read The Giver, it would help a lot. In the world that the story is set in, there is no color. Everything is in shades of black and white. The only one who knows what color is is the man known as 'The Giver', who passes down the gift of color to the next 'giver'. Very wierd book, but its true. Think about trying to explain the color 'red' to someone who has been blind their entire life. You can't do it.

Maybe nothing really exists at all. Maybe our eyes make up things, and make our brain believe that when we reach out to touch a leaf that we see, that leaf is actually there. But the most frustrating thing about this, is that with our own brains as our prisons we will never know the truth.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:15 AM   #5
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Damn, that is some deep shit, It is very true what morphus said, but then again, he is fictional. But about what our minds think, who decided that the color of the forums is blue, why isnt what we see as blue, red. We cannot describe the color blue, other than "blue" the giver was an exelent book, towards the end, when the memories of the past were released, color began to show, so when you think back to when your a kid, who told you what was blue, or red? I cannot remember, and i betcha big money you dont either, if we wanted to, overgenerations we could change the view on peoples lifes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
How do we know everything tastes like chicken, what if chicken tastes like everything else
Something like that
Old 12-14-2003, 10:54 AM   #6
Lupin_the_3rd
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Lupin_the_3rd

FLCL would be Furi kuri, or as some idiots like to say: fooly cooly...

it's one of the best anime's ever made in my opinion

i'm not sure what it's supposed to portray though...
Lupin_the_3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:04 PM   #7
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

i have never seen that anime, so i wouldnt know about it
where can i get some episodes, maybe then i will know what your tlaking about FLCL
Old 12-14-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
Lupin_the_3rd
FFR Player

suncoast/fye will have it
Old 12-14-2003, 12:10 PM   #9
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Try DC++ or WinMX. Kazaa might have a few episodes too. IRC will obviously have all of them somewhere, but it's a matter of finding out where.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:14 PM   #10
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

real (taken from dictionary.com)
a. Being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verifiable existence: real objects; a real illness.
b. True and actual; not imaginary, alleged, or ideal: real people, not ghosts; a film based on real life.
c. Of or founded on practical matters and concerns: a recent graduate experiencing the real world for the first time.
2. Genuine and authentic; not artificial or spurious: real mink; real humility.
3. Being no less than what is stated; worthy of the name: a real friend.
4. Free of pretense, falsehood, or affectation: tourists hoping for a real experience on the guided tour.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:13 PM   #11
BluE_MeaniE
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to BluE_MeaniE Send a message via MSN to BluE_MeaniE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdarkness
, why isnt what we see as blue, red.
Well, there's no reason for thinking like that because, blue is blue.
the word "blue" was named after a certain color that everyone can agree on (as in, whatever color everybody sees these forums is blue, regardless if each eyes see something different). It can't be "what we think is blue, is really red" because we came up with the name for both colors.

Umm...do you understand what I mean?
BluE_MeaniE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:00 PM   #12
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

What are you talking about? The trim is orange, and the backround is light red. The quick reply boxes are blue. wtf?
Old 12-14-2003, 02:04 PM   #13
Lupin_the_3rd
FFR Player

that would be kind of interesting, if everyone saw different colors, for example, an apple to you would be blue, but since you were used to it, it wouldn't seem weird...i can't think of an exception to prove this wrong
Old 12-14-2003, 02:10 PM   #14
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

What? Nobody's gonna comment on my subtle color un-recognition? Fine, you all suck.

Side note: 1400 posts. W00t.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #15
Lupin_the_3rd
FFR Player

what are you talking about un-recognition?

its always been red and orange...you're pretty fuckin dumb

yeah...when jewpin comes here he will be able to talk about furi kuri...he is like the furi kuri master
Old 12-14-2003, 02:43 PM   #16
lightswitch_raves
FFR Player

flcl shows us that life is far far too boring.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:22 PM   #17
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin_the_3rd
yeah...when jewpin comes here he will be able to talk about furi kuri...he is like the furi kuri master
I am the Evangelion Master, not FLCL. (Actually, I have a Ph.D in Evangelion. Or so I claim). I am just extremely fond of FLCL. It is my second favorite anime. I havent put as much thought into FLCL as I have Evangelion (4 years of research including paradoxes, religious symbolism, and themes).

You have inspired me to create a new thread. (I'll do it someday)

Now, back to FLCL. There are a lot of similarities between Shinji and Naoto. Both are jealous of their fathers (Oedipus complex), but have insane responsiblities for there age (Shinji-13, Naoto-12), and both are emotionally warped. Both have troubles with women (although it doesnt seem like that for Naoto, it is).

I think in both animes, there is a theme that with responsiblity comes sacrifice. I dont know, I have been meaning to watch FLCL again. Which I will in the next week or so. After that, I will have some really good ideas.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:23 PM   #18
lightswitch_raves
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
Quote:
I am the Evangelion Master, not FLCL. (Actually, I have a Ph.D in Evangelion. Or so I claim). I am just extremely fond of FLCL. It is my second favorite anime. I havent put as much thought into FLCL as I have Evangelion (4 years of research including paradoxes, religious symbolism, and themes).

Now, back to FLCL. There are a lot of similarities between Shinji and Naoto. Both are jealous of their fathers (Oedipus complex), but have insane responsiblities for there age (Shinji-13, Naoto-12), and both are emotionally warped. Both have troubles with women (although it doesnt seem like that for Naoto, it is).

I think in both animes, there is a theme that with responsiblity comes sacrifice. I dont know, I have been meaning to watch FLCL again. Which I will in the next week or so. After that, I will have some really good ideas.
thats incredible. i have never seen anyone use flcl, evangelion and sigmund freud theories in the same post before. now, if you had worked serial experiments lain in there, i would have rendered you a god.

in my opinion, i beleive that gainax truly wasnt going for the "universal theme" in flcl, as they did in eva. i think with flcl, they tried to throw a money making anime together, and the result was a mass melting pot full of crackheads and almost impossible to comprehend characters. And its incredibly how well it turned out to be.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:16 PM   #19
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

i was not saying i dont belive blue is really blue
i was just making a point, as saying how do we know what is what we say it is, it is a pre set image in our minds.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:44 PM   #20
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightswitch_raves
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
Quote:

thats incredible. i have never seen anyone use flcl, evangelion and sigmund freud theories in the same post before. now, if you had worked serial experiments lain in there, i would have rendered you a god.

in my opinion, i beleive that gainax truly wasnt going for the "universal theme" in flcl, as they did in eva. i think with flcl, they tried to throw a money making anime together, and the result was a mass melting pot full of crackheads and almost impossible to comprehend characters. And its incredibly how well it turned out to be.
Well, just the fact that someone besides me knows what FLCL, EVANGELION, and the Oedipus complex is, I am quite amazed myself. One of these days I'll have my full Essay on Evangelion written out and I'll post it when I do. Since last year, I have been forced to do comparative essays for IB English HL1...so it is sort of second nature to do so.

I agree, FLCL...although very...frantic...still very very good. If it were a longer series, it might have even surpassed Evangelion in my opinion. I also love the animation in FLCL.

I have yet to see Serial Experiments Lain..but now I will make an effort too. I hadnt heard much about it, so it wasnt on my "to see" list.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote