Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default soundcloud may be shutting down soon

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/06/so...ondon-offices/

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/12/soundshroud/

"The company has announced that it is laying off 173 employees, and it is closing offices in San Francisco and London. The moves are being described as cost cutting measures “to ensure our path to long-term, independent success,” in the words of co-founder and CEO Alex Ljung, who revealed the news in a blog post."

"Instead, sources at SoundCloud tell TechCrunch that founders Alex Ljung and Eric Wahlforss confessed the layoffs only saved the company enough money to have runway “until Q4” — which begins in just 80 days."

this is the first I'm hearing about this and it kinda really sucks. as of right now, I can't think of a site that would be analogous to soundcloud, aside from bandcamp (sans commenting) and clyp.it (doubt clyp.it could survive a mass migration from soundcloud artists). if the site does indeed go bankrupt and dies off, I think it would have a huge negative impact on the music community, both underground and mainstream.

my brother has his music on soundcloud and has garnered 10k+ plays, but all of his stuff isn't available for download. later today, I'm gonna log onto his account and download his stuff, as neither of us have mp3s anymore. I'd recommend doing the same if you need to!
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: soundcloud may be shutting down soon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEy_BztwnIw

Not great source by any means but I happen to have watched this guy's videos and he talked abiut that.

So yeah
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

That really stinks. Some of the music I've discovered was because of SC.
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
That really stinks. Some of the music I've discovered was because of SC.
Please watch the video I posted ty
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
James May
FFR Player

shit :c There goes my almost 500 songs playlist I have saved in Soundcloud :c

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
choof
Banned

okay so the chance the rapper thing "saving" soundcloud ended up being a really bad single with young thug
I'm sure thats what the phone call with alex ljung was, but the thing to note here is that even though chance is a huge artist rn and yoing thug is one of the biggest names in hip-hop, a free single isnt going to "save" anything, especially if it's bad (it is). chance historically makes money through brands and live shows, not pure selling numbers. his first mixtape and acidrap were free. I dont remember if coloring book was free or not, but he's also facing legal charges because he screwed over a producer collective when he didnt pay for a beat (or two). young thug also has some seriously shit numbers, with his last album making like 45k sales. again, he makes money through brands, streaming, and touring.

the only way chance and yt could "save" sc is if they invested in it. I doubt that'll happen, and I doubt either of them have enough financial power to save the platform by themselves anyway. if sc wants to stay up, they need to get some humility and make some good financial decisions. apparently funds were being used really badly, from a financial standpoint.

I hope sc stays up but saying that chance can save it is seriously misguided
Old 07-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
choof
Banned

oh
apparently chance bought soundcloud
lemme verify that shit brb
Old 07-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Chance giving sc a chance
Old 07-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
Tia-
FFR Player

Quote:

Eric and I founded SoundCloud nearly 10 years ago as we saw a need for something that would enable artists to share and connect through music. As we hovered together back in 2008 to push the button that would make SoundCloud live for the entire world, we had no idea the impact our, then tiny, platform would have on the future of music culture, and millions of listeners and artists around the globe.

In the competitive world of music streaming, we’ve spent the last several years growing our business, and more than doubled our revenue in the last 12 months alone. However, we need to ensure our path to long-term, independent success. And in order to do this, it requires cost cutting, continued growth of our existing advertising and subscription revenue streams, and a relentless focus on our unique competitive advantage — artists and creators.

With more focus and a need to think about the long term, comes tough decisions. Today, after careful and painful consideration, we took the difficult step to let go of 173 SoundCloud staffers and consolidated the team into two offices: Berlin and New York. We are extremely grateful for the contributions of each and every staff member who will be leaving SoundCloud, and we wish all of them the best. Without them, we would not be where we are today.

By reducing our costs and continuing our revenue growth, we’re on our path to profitability and in control of SoundCloud’s independent future.

So what does this mean for SoundCloud? The SoundCloud platform listeners and artists love will remain available in more than 190 countries globally. SoundCloud will continue to be the place for what’s new, now and next in music, powered by the world’s most diverse music community. I look forward to sharing more about our future plans in the weeks and months ahead.

Alex

8 days later

Quote:

Hey everyone,

There’s an insane amount of noise about SoundCloud in the world right now. And it’s just that, noise. The music you love on SoundCloud isn’t going away, the music you shared or uploaded isn’t going away, because SoundCloud is not going away. Not in 50 days, not in 80 days or anytime in the foreseeable future. Your music is safe.

Along with each of you, we’ve built this incredible creative community of artists, podcasters, DJs, producers and more who are the driving force in pushing culture forward in the world. That’s not going to change. Last week we had to make some tough decisions to let go of some of our staff, but we did this to ensure SoundCloud remains a strong, independent company.

Thank you for the outpouring of love and support. Some of you have asked how you can help–spread the word that we’re not going anywhere and keep doing what you’re doing–creating, listening, uploading, sharing, liking, and discovering what’s new, now and next in music. SoundCloud is here to stay.

Peace,
Alex
You can relax, all is well

Last edited by Tia-; 07-17-2017 at 01:28 PM..
Tia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Cool
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Please watch the video I posted ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote