Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf
Default So I modded my Sennheiser PC 350's

For anyone unaware of the Sennheiser PC 350's, they're essentially a really expensive, high quality gaming headset. The big issue people have with them is obviously the lack of deep bass. Not necessarily the bass frequencies they can pick up, but the deep bass sound that basically everyone blows there load over. Here's the way I fixed that.

I followed a mod called Hero's Mod. Basically what you do is you drill 2 holes in the head piece to allow more bass to come in (huge noob about the technicalities) and then put some cotton balls behind the ear piece to dampen the sound. The result is $500 studio quality headphones that will literally make anything you listen to sound incredible.

Here's a link to the mod for more specific technical stuff: http://www.overclock.net/t/1237985/s...bass-boost-mod

And here's a link to the headset on Amazon for anyone who's interested. It's really worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Spe...nheiser+PC+350
Old 01-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: So I modded my Sennheiser PC 350's

I bet they would have allowed for more bass if that was what it took to be "quality". Essentially all you are doing is ruining what it is actually supposed to sound like. Also just because someone prices a pair of headphones at $500 doesn't mean it is higher "studio quality".

Also a real studio would be concerned with what things actually sound like without artificial bass.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I bet they would have allowed for more bass if that was what it took to be "quality". Essentially all you are doing is ruining what it is actually supposed to sound like. Also just because someone prices a pair of headphones at $500 doesn't mean it is higher "studio quality".

Also a real studio would be concerned with what things actually sound like without artificial bass.
That's cool, I was just kind of going by what the article said and I do personally find it sounds generally better. Sennheiser typically uses more of a default equalizer that doesn't really lean toward anything. After doing this modification, it didn't lower the quality of the sounds I was hearing, it really only deepened the bass, which was what my goal was.

For people who like really great, deep sounding bass, but still hold the overall audio fidelity, it's worth doing.

"Ruining" is subjective.

EDIT: Just as a side note, if you look around, you'll find that these headphones in particular are notorious for having very poor bass. Most people will really recommend fiddling with an equalizer to make it sound normal. The PC 360's don't have the same issue with bass.

Last edited by SCWolf; 01-26-2014 at 08:59 PM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Could have something to do with that they are intended for use as a headset and talking to other people and not listening to music.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I remember trying those from a friend.
From what I know, the Sennheiser PC 350 was originally playing the card of simplicity both in design and in sound. Meaning, the inital idea was to produce a discreet audio quality that would not irritate you towards the end of an extensive session of gaming.

It all depends what type of range of headset you're accustomed to. Some might have been misleading when saying these headsets were lacking bass, since it's probably more of a preference issue than a quality one.
I don't know how much this mod affects your sound, but I sure hope they don't make them all boomy.
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Could have something to do with that they are intended for use as a headset and talking to other people and not listening to music.
Which is fine, but if I have the ability to suit them more to my preference then why not take advantage of it? Like I said, I've noticed 0 loss in audio fidelity after doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayde View Post
I don't know how much this mod affects your sound, but I sure hope they don't make them all boomy.
It doesn't. It just gives bass a fuller/deeper sound.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #7
Evnoir
_(:3」∠)_
FFR Veteran

Cool mod. EQing can only go so far so this seems pretty neat.
With these kinds of mods, you can always change the material around (cotton, fiberglass, felt, blu-tack, etc.) and experiment with them to suit your liking.
Evnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evnoir View Post
Cool mod. EQing can only go so far so this seems pretty neat.
With these kinds of mods, you can always change the material around (cotton, fiberglass, felt, blu-tack, etc.) and experiment with them to suit your liking.
Exactly. The equalizer thing didn't really work all that well. I noticed a significant difference after modifying the headset though.