Old 02-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
ssbmchamp
Can't improve at this game.
FFR Veteran

Default My So-Called Life [72 or 74/75]

I believe this file is deserving of, at minimum, a 74 rating and here's why:

-The main reason is for the stamina required to score well on this song. This song is 4:01 long, with 2551 notes, and about 3 minutes of that being relentless stream with jumps, jump trills, and a few rolls. What makes it even more tiring is the fact that the most intense part of the song occurs right around the 3:00 mark.

Since the big issue I have with this song is stamina, I tried to compare it to higher rated songs that are more stamina based, rather than technical files. These files include: Aim Burst (73), Gotta Catch 'Em All (73), Final Fantasy Last Battle Festival (73) and Lightning Strikes Again - Metal Squad. Every one of these files I have listed all have both higher AAA counts, as well as FC counts.

Also, I was looking through stats of other 75 rated songs (not necessarily stamina based) for example Trisection v2, Mirage Garden (Long Version), and Of Course You Need and...NEED ME, and all of those also have higher AAA counts as well as FC counts.

With all that said, I think My So-Called Life is worthy of a minimum of a 74 rating, and even a 75 rating would be appropriate.
ssbmchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
magnusus
Jack of jacks
FFR Veteran

Default Re: My So-Called Life [72 or 74/75]

I agree strongly with this viewpoint. I do not think it is a 75 however. This file warrants a maximum rating of 74. Personally, the steps seem a bit slow for it to be considered a 'stamina' song, and I completely disagree with your statement of it not being technical. Though for the most part the chart is somewhat boring and repetitive, a good percentage of the JS is one-handed, which can always add frustration. The increased inclusion of hands,16th jumps, and orthodox 32nd rolls three-quarters of the way through the chart, immediately following the punishing color-roll section only serves to mount tension. This is an exceedingly trying chart to AAA.
magnusus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

It's worth comparing this file to Bubble Bath Aftermath, which is a four-minute long 74 that was released just two weeks prior. They have almost exactly the same # of times played, and despite being 2 points easier, My So-Called Life has significantly fewer FCs, no doubt due to its stamina requirement. Yet it has more AAAs because it is fundamentally a pretty simply structured file once you can do it, especially compared to Bubble Bath which instead gets its difficulty from some difficult transitions and hard to PA patterns.

Pattern-wise, My So-Called Life isn't all that taxing. It actually is, dare I say it, a pretty flowing Ji file, at least for me. So it comes down to more or less a stamina test, and once you pass that stamina test the file just becomes how much Ji pattern buzz noise you can stand while going for the AAA. The "difficult part" of this file might not even break 70 on a shorter song, it's just harder than it would otherwise be because it comes after 3 minutes of broken jumpstream.

Add one point for being long and obnoxious to whore for the AAA? It's been done in the past.
I could see 73 for sure, 74 seems unlikely and 75 is definitely too high.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 02-20-2015 at 06:18 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I agree, the chart def has some really tricky parts and doesnt really make sense at what its at now. I still dont have it aaad, its long and as mentioned the hardest shit is at about 3:00.

Its not really stamina draining imo, but the patterns are just ugh in it.

Last edited by SK8R43; 02-20-2015 at 06:15 PM..
SK8R43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Easily a 74 for length and burst difficulty; I had always been uncomfortable with this rating, I'll move it.

Within the next week or so I'm going to go through all the files in the 50+ range and create a thread with everything I propose should be moved around, then get community feedback and see what's good to move and what should stay where it is. Also planning on outsourcing help from a few other members for looking at everything under 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
Easily a 74 for length and burst difficulty; I had always been uncomfortable with this rating, I'll move it.

Within the next week or so I'm going to go through all the files in the 50+ range and create a thread with everything I propose should be moved around, then get community feedback and see what's good to move and what should stay where it is. Also planning on outsourcing help from a few other members for looking at everything under 50.
74 seems fair, I don't think it is fast enough to be higher.

Thanks for letting us know about your plans to rework the difficulty system.

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote