Old 08-7-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
James May
FFR Player

Default [Label] Trekkie Trax

Yo guys so I have stumbled upon a netlabel known as Trekkie Trax and well, if I'm not mistaken, we can use it from the cc licensing that it has, but just wanting to doublecheck on it just to be safe.

Quote:
http://www.trekkie-trax.com/artist.html
Assuming what I'm seeing correctly, Trekkie Trax should be up for grabs according to the license it shows on the page. Someone double check?

Edit: Okay. After looking at the licensing page, we are free to use the songs from TREKKIE TRAX \o/

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.1/jp/ (from when I clicked at it from the licensing page)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9roq1mpts...46-45.png?dl=0
^
from when I posted it in the permissions thread

Site page: http://www.trekkie-trax.com/
Netlabel location: Tokyo, Japan
Year founded: 2012
The EPs released: http://www.trekkie-trax.com/ep/
Artist List: http://www.trekkie-trax.com/artist.html

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

Default Re: [Label] Trekkie Trax

this is also of interest to me because of what it means for other CC labels/releases getting on FFR. i brought this up on discord and some people vaguely expressed reservations that some on staff may possibly have had or do still have with FFR using CC music based on that licensing alone.

and i know you wanted maltine permissions before; they used to be under this very license but have since scrubbed that info from their site.
inDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
Ghost_Medley
D6.9 Prime Buttonhitter
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

if permission is allowed, then we could have a few nice songs like "seimei & taimei - galaxy (drum'n'bass vip)" and "miii - far away (about three kilometers)" that people could make stepcharts for

Last edited by Ghost_Medley; 08-7-2016 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: the songs by toriena would also make for some decent chiptune noise charts
Ghost_Medley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Medley View Post
if permission is allowed, then we could have a few nice songs like "seimei & taimei - galaxy (drum'n'bass vip)" and "miii - far away (about three kilometers)" that people could make stepcharts for
If it does get through, I will convert AMUNOA's Sampling Magic and matra magic's Grid Compassfor FFR

Old 08-7-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by inDheart View Post
this is also of interest to me because of what it means for other CC labels/releases getting on FFR. i brought this up on discord and some people vaguely expressed reservations that some on staff may possibly have had or do still have with FFR using CC music based on that licensing alone.

and i know you wanted maltine permissions before; they used to be under this very license but have since scrubbed that info from their site.
I figured, but that's why I emailed maltine records instead of just grabbing songs from them and sending it because the info was unclear to me at the time. Trekkie Trax does have the info present but I want to publically run by the mods and whoever handles the permissions before doing something like sending Sampling Magic and Grid Compass to here.

Old 08-7-2016, 07:05 PM   #6
Ghost_Medley
D6.9 Prime Buttonhitter
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

https://soundcloud.com/trekkie-trax/...tellabee-remix not specifically about stepcharting and ffr but there are some pretty intense songs that are in the EPs under trekkie trax

Last edited by Ghost_Medley; 08-7-2016 at 07:05 PM..
Ghost_Medley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

I might need to dig further about this label (if they have any conditions listed somewhere), but a CC BY-NC license would allow us to us the music anywhere we want, remix/cut it, etc.

However, as a rule of thumb, we want to inform the artist and the label how and where their content is used. It has worked this way for years and it should stay this way imo. It's extremely unlikely that a label with a cc license would prohibit us for using their content if we ask them anyway. Quoting Tass :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
i tend to still not accept CC licenses... not because it isn't valid... but because i don't like using an artist's stuff without them knowing, even if they're cool with it. i want them to want to be on FFR, to be pumped about being on FFR, etc etc.

so, given that statement... it does seem they would be fine with use on FFR. someone want to send them an email about it?
So, what next ? Send an email to the label to ask if we can use their music in FFR.

Last edited by noname219; 08-7-2016 at 07:22 PM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
James May
FFR Player

Alrighty. I'll give them an email when I have the chance or someone else can if they want to. And yoy can dig a bit further if you want to noname.

Old 08-7-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
James May
FFR Player

Just sent an email to the label. Hopefully I get an email soon.

Old 08-7-2016, 08:36 PM   #10
James May
FFR Player

Good news everyone

Edit: Since they say that their product is released under the CC license and told me to refer to there, that would make it good to go since its not being released for radio, movies, tv shows, or anything that requires to have a fee.

Last edited by James May; 08-7-2016 at 08:51 PM..
Old 08-7-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Well, that was fast!

"We usually take music fee for use of our release for Websites, TV Radio shows, Movies, and so on."

If I understand this correctly, they ask for a fee for any use that generates a profit since it's not covered by their license.
Since FFR is non-profit*, we're ok to use their music.

*I'm not sure that FFR is entirely NonCommercial, it can get quite complicated and there are many grey areas.
Old 08-7-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
James May
FFR Player

But the result is that we don't generate profit from using their songs, therefore we should be safe to use their songs for FFR correct?

Old 08-7-2016, 09:13 PM   #13
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
*I'm not sure that FFR is entirely NonCommercial, it can get quite complicated and there are many grey areas.
is there some practice in particular that you think makes FFR not a non-commercial site?
Old 08-7-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
But the result is that we don't generate profit from using their songs, therefore we should be safe to use their songs for FFR correct?
Quote:
is there some practice in particular that you think makes FFR not a non-commercial site?
We should be safe. I'm trying to determine if FFR status is in a grey zone considering we're doing promotion on social networks (Twitter, Facebook).
Old 08-7-2016, 09:24 PM   #15
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
We should be safe. I'm trying to determine if FFR status is in a grey zone considering we're doing promotion on social networks (Twitter, Facebook).
I think Social Media is safe since we're not selling any product that pertains to the artists that we obtained permission.

Old 08-7-2016, 09:46 PM   #16
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I think Social Media is safe since we're not selling any product that pertains to the artists that we obtained permission.
That's a good point.

"Promotional value: What if a music website does an entire promotional campaign around distributing an artist’s noncommercially-licensed work, greatly increasing traffic and therefore advertising" (pg.34)

"However, virtually all creators agree that a noncommercial use is one in which “no money changes hands.” Many then add that for a use to be truly noncommercial, there should also be no indirect commercial gain. Yet everyone recognizes that indirect commercial gain may be impossible to avoid – and may accrue to the creator as well as (or instead of) the user. Many group participants noted that there are promotional and thus potentially economic or commercial advantages to creators in connection with releasing content freely for noncommercial use. For these creators, “credit” for permitting noncommercial use is very important, and the question of attribution is something that gets factored into their consideration of when a use is acceptable. For example, attribution is often more important to artists and programmers than protecting particular content that might have some economic value, sometimes but not always on the theory that attribution may ultimately lead to overall greater commercial gain. This suggests that the CC license attribution requirement may be an important factor in at least some creators’ understanding/perception of the NC license term. At the same time, some participants noted that users can derive promotional advantage from use of others’ works, and wondered when “promotional” becomes “commercial” advantage. As a practical matter, many seem to consider noncommercial use as having minimal or indirect commercial impact, rather than absolutely no commercial impact." (pg.35)

(http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/d...fullreport.pdf)

tl;dr It's ok to use their songs in a non-profit game as long as it is not used to promote the game itself.

So yeah, we're fine.

edit : expanding on that

-Page 171 asks for a definition of noncommercial use, the top 2 answers : 33% The work would be used by an individual, 13% The work is used for fun, enjoyment, entertainment purposes, artistic reasons, etc.

-Page 180 : Is it noncommercial if the work would be used by a non-profit : ~43% definitely a noncommercial use, ~18% definitely a commercial use, ~39% can't say.
Is it noncommercial if no money would be made from the use of work : ~65% definitely a noncommercial use, ~6% definitely a commercial use, ~29% can't say.

Last edited by noname219; 08-7-2016 at 10:20 PM..
Old 08-7-2016, 09:50 PM   #17
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

well that's good.

did you ever get a response from maltine? i have a contact for tomad if you wanna try again
Old 08-7-2016, 09:53 PM   #18
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
well that's good.

did you ever get a response from maltine? i have a contact for tomad if you wanna try again
I never got a response and yes that would be wonderful! Care to PM it to me?

Old 11-20-2016, 11:20 PM   #19
James May
FFR Player

Default Re: Label Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by qelectr View Post
Arent there copyright issues with the use of images for commercial purposes?
As long as its not used to monetize the site or anything then we should be good on it, just give proper credits and such. But that's going by noncommercial. If it was commercial use then that's a whole different story x: