Old 06-4-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00
Default Obtaining Permissions and You! [v2]

Note: Credit for everything listed in this thread goes out to TheRapingDragon.
Aside from the v1, this v2 explains and demonstrates how to effectively and properly get the permission of song artists (v1) and how the results of your permission gets are handled now-a-days (v2).

So, you've just heard some awesome music and want it in FFR? Well, you've come to the right place.
This thread is going to try to help you go through the stages of trying to get a permission.

Step One - Be accurate.

Before you even begin to try to get a permission you have to make sure that all of your information is accurate and correct. Make sure that you have the right author / song title / album title (where applicable). Make sure it's not a remix or something like that which could get FFR in trouble with the original author who never gave permission for the remix in the first place.

The other reason for accuracy is so that you show the recipient of the email that you know what you are talking about.

Depending on what you are going for you will need to follow a different step. If:

- You are asking an independent artist / group for their permission then go to step 2.

- You are asking a signed artist / group for their permission or a record label for any artist at all then go to step 3

Step Two: Independent Artists / Groups

The beauty about independent artists is that they have no record company or label (or they own the label themselves) and so you only need to send one email.

Make sure to be absolutely certain that they don't have a label. Once you are certain try to find a contact address for them. This could either be an email or a letter. Some good places to check for contact points for independent artists are wikipedia, their official website, or myspace (or similar musical outlets such as last.fm).

Once you have an email address you can send the email to them. I prepared a template email that can be used:

Here's one of the more formal templates available and widely used for independent artists and/or groups:

Quote:
Dear (band / artist name).

My name is (your name). I'm wondering if I could have a minute of your time to request permission to use (songs / whatever) in a free online rhythm game called FlashFlashRevolution. The website is www.flashflashrevolution.com.

FFR is an online rhythm based game where you hit arrows in time with music. The music is streamed and both the game and music cannot be downloaded. FFR was started in 2002 and we currently have over 1.8 million users.

The full list of artists we have permission for can be seen in the following link:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...95&postcount=1

FFR is a free-to-play website and does not earn any money from these songs. We do not sell or redistribute the music either. Your music will not be sold or available for download.

I feel that if we got your permission to use your songs on our website then we would be able to get more people into your music and that we would have some incredible files for people to play.

In conclusion, I am writing for permission to use your songs on FlashFlashRevolution.com. You do not have to permit whole albums, even a song or two would be enough if that is all you want to offer.

(Alternative for the above paragraph: Ask for specific songs or albums that you want, for example:In conclusion, I am writing for permission to "song 1" and "song 3" on FlashFlashRevolution.com. I feel that these songs would be an amazing addition to FFR and I hope that you will give permission for these two songs).

If you have any more questions regarding my request, or have any other questions at all then please email me at the following address:

(your email)

I look forward to a reply in the future. Thank you for your time.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

Step Three: Artists / Groups that are signed to a record label

This does vary from label to label but ultimately your final email will be around the same. The first thing to do is find out which label the artist or group is with. This can most likely be found on wikipedia.

Secondly, you need to go to the labels website and make sure if you can find any "terms of service" or "artist / license request" forms or information on either. (Usually located at the bottom of these sites, are links for the ToS and artist/license requests.) These will usually give you information on how a label feels about distributing the music of their artists. It can also tell you if the label will expect royalties for anything to do with any of their artists.

If you can't find anything like this then you can move on. If you do find a form, and it doesn't mention royalties, then you should use that form to apply for request for music to be put into FFR.

If none of the above is applicable then you'll need to move on to emails.

The ideal route is to send two emails. One to the artist / group and one to the record label. If a band is linked with multiple labels and you aren't sure which label is the right one for what you are asking permission for, then you may have to email every single label and explain the situation.

The following emails are what I suggest as templates for your two emails:

TO THE BAND / ARTIST:

Quote:
Dear (band / artist name).

My name is (your name). I'm wondering if I could have a minute of your time to request permission to use (songs / whatever) in a free online rhythm game called FlashFlashRevolution. The website is www.flashflashrevolution.com.

FFR is an online rhythm based game where you hit arrows in time with music. The music is streamed and both the game and music cannot be downloaded. FFR was started in 2002 and we currently have over 1.8 million users.

The full list of artists we have permission for can be seen in the following link:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...64&postcount=1

May I just take a moment to say that FFR is a free-to-play website and FFR does not earn any money from these songs. We do not sell or redistribute the music either. Your music will not be sold or made available for download.

I feel that if we got your permission to use your songs on our website then we would be able to get more people into your music and that we would have some incredible files for people to play.

I understand that you are with (record label) and I have sent an email to them as well to request this permission, but I thought it would be fair to email you as well, especially as this is your music I am requesting. I am especially interested in (song / album) and hope that you can give permission for us to use it or tell me what way I should go about requesting this permission from your record label.

I just want to repeat that we will not make any money out of this. If you give us permission then we will buy the (album / song) ourselves. As well as that, with your (song / album) in FFR you will get free publicity and hopefully more people will come to appreciate your music as I do.

In conclusion, I am writing for permission to use (song / album) on FlashFlashRevolution.com. You do not have to permit everything I've asked for, even a song or two would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any more questions regarding my request, or have any other questions at all then please email me at the following address:

(your email)

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

TO THE RECORD LABEL:

Quote:
Dear (record label).

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...64&postcount=1

May I just take a moment to say that FFR is a free-to-play website and FFR does not earn any money from these songs. We do not sell or redistribute the music either. If any permission is given then we will buy the albums / songs ourselves and we don't make any money out of this. On the other hand, the artists you allow permission for will get free publicity on our website and it may entice more people to buy their albums.

I feel that if we got your permission to use your songs on our website then we would have some incredible files for people to play. Permission for even one or two songs from one artist would still be greatly appreciated.

In conclusion, I am writing for permission to use (song / album / artist) on FlashFlashRevolution.com. However, as I've said, you do not have to permit everything I've asked for, even a song or two from any artist would be greatly appreciated.

(your email)

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)
Step Four: Results

This is the most important part, how will everything turn out. There are various possibilities and I'll cover as many as I can.

1. An independent artist / band says yes to your request.

If this is the case, well done. You've got a permission! Now, to verify your permission, you should post a screenshot of your emails (sent to and from), along with a URL to the artist's website in this thread. Following that, if you wish to send an email thanking the artist/group, feel free to use this example:

Quote:
Dear (artist / band)

Thank you for your permission to use (whatever they offered). This is greatly appreciated and I'll let FFR know shortly. If you would like, once a song has been put into the game I can email you again to give you a link for the final result?

Again, I just want to say thank you for your permission.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

2. An independent artist / band says no to your request.

No worries, it happens. Still send them another email. Again a template for you:

Quote:
Dear (artist / band)

I'm sorry to hear that you won't give permission for (whatever) but I want to just thank you for replying to my email.

Good luck in the future and I look forward to future (songs / albums).

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

3. An independent artist / band doesn't reply.

Give it at least a week. If you hear no reply then just send another email. Something along the lines of:

Quote:
Dear (artist / band)

I am writing to you again with regards to the email I sent you on (date) about permission for (song / album) to be used in our free online rhythm game at www.flashflashrevolution.com.

I understand that you must be very busy but if I could just have a moment of your time then I would really appreciate a reply to that email. Even if the email is only to say why you can or cannot give permission, that in itself would be enough.

Thanks again for your time and I hope to hear a reply shortly.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

4. A record label replies saying yes.

Again, congratulations, but still be polite and send another email to the record label, something like:

Quote:
Dear (record label / or person's name if someone personally emailed you)

Thank you very much for your permission to use (song / album / artist), I will let FFR know shortly. Once that happens we will start the process of getting steps put to the music and after a few months hopefully a file will be added to the game.

Once again I want to thank you for your permission and for taking the time to reply to my email.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

5. A record label replies saying no.

Quote:
Dear (record label / or person's name if someone personally emailed you)

I understand your reasons for not allowing permission but want to thank you for replying to my email.

I wish you and all of your artists the best of luck in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

6. A record label doesn't reply.

This is probably the most likely case as most record labels are gay like that. If anything, you should still try to send a follow-up email:

Quote:
Dear (record label)

I am writing to you again with regards to the email I sent you on (date) about permission for (song / album / artist) to be used in our free online rhythm game at www.flashflashrevolution.com.

I understand that you must be very busy but if I could just have a moment of your time then I would really appreciate a reply to that email. Even if the email is only to say why you can or cannot give permission, that in itself would be enough.

Thanks again for your time and I hope to hear a reply shortly.

Yours Sincerely,

(your name)

And there you have it. When asking for permissions, always, ALWAYS remember the most important parts:

- Be polite.
- Be accurate in what you want.
- Email everyone involved with the song / artist to increase your chances of a reply and also out of politeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus

Last edited by 00Razor00; 06-4-2012 at 04:21 PM..
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-4-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Default Re: Obtaining Permissions and You! [v2]

All of the templates need 1.5 million users bumped up to 1.8 million users.

Edit: Also as E-mail is only one function of contact, we should also try and add a few others. When I send permission requests I link to my profile for the site / method I am using to contact them, one of my e-mails, and I link them to my FFR profile just in case. Though that last one might not be the best idea sometimes ect.

Just throwing that out.

Last edited by Xx{Midnight}xX; 06-4-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-4-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
00Razor00
FFR Player

ty, updated!

Quote:
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
Old 06-4-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
I like it
Housekeeper
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

shouldnt this thread have a tilde in it somewhere since all the other v2s and v3s and v4s and v5s do
I like it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-4-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Ghakimx
Cutie&Handshaking Sounds
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghakimx

I think another thing that should be noted is that when you obtain or are trying to obtain the permission, make sure that someone or yourself is eager to step song of said artist. That way, we don't have a list of artists who we never heard of nor heard their tunes and Dossar wouldn't have to waste time on checking that.

I AM ASHAMED OF MY STUPIDITY AND MUST COMMIT SEPPUKU. FORGIVE ME, FFR.

Ninjas NEVER die. Now on a 30 kill streak.
Ghakimx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-4-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
nois-or-e
SponCon Aficionado
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nois-or-e Send a message via MSN to nois-or-e Send a message via Skype™ to nois-or-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
...When I send permission requests I link to my profile for the site / method I am using to contact them, one of my e-mails, and I link them to my FFR profile just in case.
A habit I've gotten into is linking a screen recording/video of one of our pro arrowsmashers beasting a fairly hard song.
Old 06-4-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Just thought I'd pop in to say I rewrote this whole thing and updated all the info, reworded things to make it more correctly written, and added other details a while back in the suggestions thread and everyone ignored it oops, could have just stolen all that and updated yours Jesse. If you find it and want to use any of it feel free.

Nice thread btw, looks slick

Last edited by justin_ator; 06-4-2012 at 10:49 PM..
justin_ator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-4-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

When sending emails make sure to use a professional-ish email. You'd have a better chance getting a reply or getting permission if your email is T.micheals@Gmail.com than rufnek420g6thug4lyf@Gmail.com. I wouldn't link to your profile especially if you have some questionable content on it(animu half naked huge tit chicks is questionable content Eben if you don't think so). Mention similar artists that are already on ffr in the email Nd link to the blanket permission thread
Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

full list of artists that ffr has permission for: link doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

link works for me
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

the ones for "to the band/artist" and "record label"

Quote:
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Alright so this is the email I sent to info@chrisgoulstone.co.uk

Quote:
Dear Chris Goulstone,

My name is Roy, and I'm wondering if I could have a minute of your time to request permission to use your song "Thrash" from Rock Guitar Styles 1 in a free online rhythm game called FlashFlashRevolution. The website is www.flashflashrevolution.com.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...95&postcount=1

May I just take a moment to say that FFR is a free-to-play website and FFR does not earn any money from these songs. We do not sell or redistribute the music either. Your music will not be sold or made available for download.

I feel that if we got your permission to use your songs on our website then we would be able to get even more people into your music, along with having incredible files for people to play.

Even though this is your music I am requesting, I understand that you are with Carlin Music. I am especially interested in Thrash from Rock Guitar Styles 1 and hope that you can give permission for us to use it or tell me what way I should go about requesting this permission from your record label.

I just want to repeat that we will not make any money out of this. If you give us permission then we will buy the song ourselves. As well as that, with your songs in FFR you will get free publicity and hopefully more people will come to appreciate your music as I do.

In conclusion, I am writing for permission to use Thrash on FlashFlashRevolution.com. I would also like to know if you will allow us to use other songs you've produced as well, however even just Thrash would be greatly appreciated.

vanliewroy@gmail.com

Yours Sincerely,

Roy Van Liew
Then some guy, Rick Baker, a different email address, replied with

Quote:
Hi Roy

Where in the world are you ? .. and I’ll see if we can put you in touch with the right person to license this track.

Kind regards

Rick
Carlin Music is such a bad site for finding music licensing policies that I can't even figure out if this needs royalties or not. Can someone help me with this please?
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
00Razor00
FFR Player

Licensing usually requires royalties to be paid to the artist/label, lol.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Tried sending a formal permission request, worked like a charm. It seemed kind of strange sending something that is normally out of character compared to the normal behavior on the internet, but nonetheless worked. Thanks for the guide!

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
00Razor00
FFR Player

Glad it turned out well. No problemo!

Quote: