Old 11-18-2017, 02:20 AM   #41
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: not a single review done

Old 11-18-2017, 11:48 PM   #42
xVaLoRx
MYFUCKINGSOUND
FFR Veteran

prizna - 10,000 babylon
Old 11-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #43
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraezymann View Post
The Tragically Hip - "Fully Completely"
alright, I was kinda excited to listen to this, given how well received and reviewed their music is on rym. I know that the lead singer passed away recently, which put them on a lot of people's radars, it seems. I believe you told me that they're super popular in canada, but never were quite able to break out and go international.

I will say it here. the vocals. not a fan. at first I didn't know what it was about the vocals that were offputting, but I saw a review on rym that made it click for me: these guys sound a lot like REM. and I've never really been a fan of REM either. whenever the vocals aren't being slightly annoying, they're merely okay. the instrumentation is okay. the songwriting is okay. I didn't catch much of the lyrics, because of what I think of the vocals, but given the vocal style and the plain-jane approach to rock here, I will assume that the lyrics are a main selling point. sure enough, a quick glance over lyric sheets on genius (lol I know) shows me that lyrics are what keep the songs interesting.

maybe it's just how I like my music, but I've never really put too much thought into lyrics. it's really a case of in one ear and out the other. so this album is not for me. this may sound kinda counter-intuitive; I don't think it's a bad album, I understand why people like it, but I don't like listening to it.

I was going to listen to one of their later albums to see if they came into their own, but rym shows a steady decline in ratings from their early stuff to their newer stuff. and I'm not curious enough about the band to look much further into their discog.

3/5
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #44
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixlSM View Post
Thomas Köner - Nuuk
I used to be a pretty big fan of this guy back when I was first getting into ambient. I remember hearing Daikan and thinking it was one of the coolest (HEHE) albums out there, I was intrigued by how cold ambient music could get. Over the years, my taste in ambient music has gone away from the cold, emotionless drones that Thomas Koner and other associated artists produce, in favor of brighter and more densely packed ambient. Nuuk is an album I haven't heard from Koner, and listening to it now, it's pretty underwhelming. It's definitely cold and monolithic, the Koner that I remember, but knowing now what I know about ambient and drone, it's just not terribly interesting anymore. The tracks bleed into each other, becoming nearly indistinguishable. Perhaps this is intended; Daikan could have easily been broken into parts or movements, and I would say the same thing. I still find Daikan to be a good drone album, but maybe this has to do with the place it holds in my musical journey. I will say, though, that I like how Thomas Koner has progressed as an artist over the years. But, to me, this is another album in his discography that makes for some passable background music. Certainly not his best.

2.5/5
choof is offline   Reply With Quote