Old 11-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #21
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: RockBand. More Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails99 View Post
****ing s***, it's almost Black Friday. No hope getting it past the new year for 360(Meh, don't have a 360). Also, I heard there was a Freezepop song on it too. What one is it?

I'm giddy right now. Personally, I thought it would be less than the hype entailed it to be, but I get the impression it is really good, no?
Ooh, that sucks. The Best Buy by me wasn't selling well, for some reason. The other stores had all sold out immediately, but when we checked Best Buy today, a full 16 hours after they started selling it, they still had plenty of copies. I think they might have said they had tons more in storage. Weird.

The Freezepop song is Brainpower. I don't know how you unlock the bonus tracks, though. It might be the same shop system, but it might not be.

It's really good. It could be less than what it is in quality and still be great to play just because of the fact that you're playing with four people (hilarious scenarios ensue, and that's just day 1), but yeah, it's really good. Personally, I find all of the instruments to have their setbacks, but they hardly detract from the experience. Can't wait to play more.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #22
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Yeah, so I got a 360. Partly due to cheaper, partly due to having more better games, partly due to coming with Marvel Ultimate Alliance (which I had meant to buy a long time ago for PS2 but simply didn't), but mostly due to realizing that absolutely no one will be playing the PS3 online.

My first stop was Best Buy, which had apparently sold out quite some time before. It was like 6 PM and they open at 10 AM. So I went across the street to Target, and wouldn't ya know, they only had one left for 360 and like ten for PS3. So I got it there.

And yeah, agree with all the glowing praise in the thread so far. Honestly, though, I like the song list here better than GH3, so I'll probably be choosing this over GH3 most of the time now, even for single player. Oh and that reminds me: turns out my older sister was already planning on coming over anyway, and so I ended up jamming out with my family, and no need of trying to persuade my friends who hate music games to get into it.

And as for wifi, I hear my dad is gonna get a ethernet splitter thing, so the network that is running into my room through the attic will just end up getting split.

ps one thing: drums have weird kick patterns sometimes. Like, not even what it should be at all. Really annoying, especially when it's telling me to kick on every 1st beat of every other measure, and yet naturally, I feel as though I should be kicking on every beat. In short, I'd do ****ty on drums due to wanting to kick more or if I increase difficulty, I'd get ****ed up by more difficult patterns and rhythms. Then again, similar thing with me and guitar: hard has the right intricacy of patterns, but 5th fret has a tendency to **** me up a lot.

pps is it just me or is there more than a few songs that are in GH3 and RockBand?

EDIT: oh hey how long do you think it'll be before I can use these USB controllers on my computer

Last edited by Afrobean; 11-21-2007 at 10:55 AM..
Afrobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #23
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I would really be a happy camper if you would write a full review for me after you've had some time with it. tell me if if it gets boring later or not

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:12 PM   #24
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
I would really be a happy camper if you would write a full review for me after you've had some time with it. tell me if if it gets boring later or not
Full review:

Guitar Hero + Drum Mania + Karaoke Revolution

The difficulty level on the guitar is apparently nowhere near as hard as Guitar Hero III, so if you're looking for hard ****, this is not for you (unless the hard **** you're looking for is simulated drumming). However, if you want tons of fun and a great songlist, as well as a 3 totally different ways of playing, then this is quite possibly the best game ever.

Honestly, if they were to make a sequel, all they could possibly do with it is add keyboard and like tweak a few minor things. It's just amazing.

Then again, I haven't touched single player or online yet, so I can't really comment well on those. Oh and word is that they'll be releasing WHOLE ALBUMS as downloadable content. You might not be impressed by this, but I am freaking psyched. Even Nevermind alone would make me cream my jeans 15 times over.

Really, if there was just one thing to change about this game, I would just change the placement of the drum pads. Crashes are always up, not down. Your right side bottom should be a floor tom or something. Snare shouldn't be up top with the toms (and it should be parallel to the floor). It also would have been nice to see a dedicated hat pad up above the snare to the left. I also wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated ride. Yes, this would make for an additional "button" or two to worry about, and yeah it SHOULD probably get a foot pedal for the hat which would increase difficulty even further, but damnit, it just doesn't really feel like drumming with 4 in line pads like that. But the thing about this all is: people who don't know anything about drums won't even notice and will acclimatize to it readily. And really, I was never that into drum sets (I wanted one, but never actually got one, and only got a chance to fool around on the school one occasionally), so within a few days of playing this, I'm sure I could get used to the straight-up alignment.

And you know, after typing this up, I thought to check out what DrumMania looks like:

Almost exactly what I was describing. Maybe they'll do something like that for a sequel.

ps I was disappointed by lack of a satchel or something to hold the drum sticks, so I attached an old sock 8) Also: I'm gonna pull out some of my old drum sticks because these ones are a pile of **** and I feel like they're gonna break-- also freaking splintery or something and that sucks. But yeah I think I still have a kick ass set of black sticks with my snare from junior high.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #25
jecht3009046
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

The guitar for RockBand felt king of crappy. The buttons seemed to stick when I pressed them. The drums were REALLY easy on hard and expert. 94% on Expert on my 3rd song (playing on the drums). I forget which song it was. The drums are really fun, none the less. Haven't tried vocals yet. I feel like a bit more work could have been put into the whole game and hardware, but its fun and definitely worth the money.
jecht3009046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #26
B0NK
FFR Player

i hatehatehatehate the strumbar for the guitar

drums are 1000% yes
Old 11-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #27
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0NK View Post
i hatehatehatehate the strumbar for the guitar

drums are 1000% yes
I read somewhere that some of them had more crappily attached strum bars. Mine is just fine and honestly, I don't even notice a difference between the strum bar on this guitar and the strum bar on my two other guitar peripherals for my two other systems holy **** i waste a lot of money on this **** huh
Old 11-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #28
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

As soon as my 360 is fixed, I'm not going to bother buying the guitars. I just need the drums, mic and game (I already have 2 guitars from GH2 and GH3).
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #29
Go_Oilers_Go
<<Insert Title Here>>
FFR Veteran

All of those games are overrated. Stick to FFR. ^_^
Go_Oilers_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #30
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Oilers_Go View Post
All of those games are overrated. Stick to FFR. ^_^
massive irony

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #31
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
ps one thing: drums have weird kick patterns sometimes. Like, not even what it should be at all. Really annoying, especially when it's telling me to kick on every 1st beat of every other measure, and yet naturally, I feel as though I should be kicking on every beat. In short, I'd do ****ty on drums due to wanting to kick more or if I increase difficulty, I'd get ****ed up by more difficult patterns and rhythms. Then again, similar thing with me and guitar: hard has the right intricacy of patterns, but 5th fret has a tendency to **** me up a lot.
Lower difficulties feel less like you're playing drums. You need to take yourself out of drum-playing mode to play Medium, I think. Just get used to reading where the kicks are and the other patterns. It's hard to read at first, but you can pick up on each type of pattern because they're similar from song to song. The main patterns are, anyway. drumbs lols

Quote:
ps I was disappointed by lack of a satchel or something to hold the drum sticks, so I attached an old sock 8) Also: I'm gonna pull out some of my old drum sticks because these ones are a pile of **** and I feel like they're gonna break-- also freaking splintery or something and that sucks. But yeah I think I still have a kick ass set of black sticks with my snare from junior high.
What? There's a spot for the sticks. It works pretty well, or at least, probably better than an old sock. Yeah, the sticks in the bundle are pretty terrible. They're passable, I guess. Finding someone with excess drumsticks shouldn't be to much of a hassle anyway, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecht3009046 View Post
The guitar for RockBand felt king of crappy. The buttons seemed to stick when I pressed them. The drums were REALLY easy on hard and expert. 94% on Expert on my 3rd song (playing on the drums). I forget which song it was. The drums are really fun, none the less. Haven't tried vocals yet. I feel like a bit more work could have been put into the whole game and hardware, but its fun and definitely worth the money.
I haven't found any issue with the fret buttons on the guitar. The drums will get much, much harder. They're really easy for a while, but they get VERY hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr_f4n View Post
As soon as my 360 is fixed, I'm not going to bother buying the guitars. I just need the drums, mic and game (I already have 2 guitars from GH2 and GH3).
I think buying the package would still be cheaper. The really high fret buttons are fun to use, anyway. If you have a headset, though, I think that works for the mic, in which case just buying the drums and game might be cheaper than the package.

Yesterday, I thought I was going to get used to the strum bar really quickly. Today I was having some pretty major problems. I think some of it was my friend's HDTV, though. Started having some really weird lag issues that occurred for like a minute out of an hour. It was just the guitar, though, so I don't really know. I'll just keep assuming I'll get used to it. It's cool not having the clicky sound, but it's REALLY annoying to have the bassist playing the rhythm poorly and having it throw you off.

I had a really major issue with the drum pads today. We ended up having Run to the Hills picked for us, and I was playing on expert. Now, a pattern came up that I can actually do very well, because it's utilized REALLY heavily in a few DrumMania songs. It's the kind of pattern where you hit 16ths on the hi-hat and hit the snare every half note. I thought I was playing it at least fairly well, but my meter thing was dropping like a brick. After failing, we messed around with drums in practice for a little while. We noticed that the pads' ability to register fast drumming is less than satisfactory. Now, this isn't for sure, as we didn't have anything really hard to test it with, but that's what we came up with. It'd be less drastic if songs didn't require this, which they do. Hopefully exaggerating the alternation between sticks isn't the only solution.

I dunno, it's still really, really awesome right now. I almost made it past the organ solo on that The Who song on drums with me and the two guitars abusing the living hell out of overdrive. It's damn hard. Plus, if you play solo drums, it's really hard to abuse overdrive at all. Drums are definitely not easy.

Can't wait to play more. Should be able to play all day Friday.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #32
dawg4321
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to dawg4321

I'll agree that the drum parts are incredibly easy, but I am also a drummer. The bass pedal might make it harder though considering I was only playing on the four. The game itself looks pretty sweet, but the sad thing is...none of my friends are good at guitar hero so it really wouldn't be fun to play with them. Anyways, what songs are on RockBand?

Last edited by dawg4321; 11-22-2007 at 10:26 AM..
dawg4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #33
Afrombean
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg4321 View Post
I'll agree that the drum parts are incredibly easy, but I am also a drummer. The bass pedal might make it harder though considering I was only playing on the four. The game itself looks pretty sweet, but the sad thing is...none of my friends are good at guitar hero so it really wouldn't be fun to play with them. Anyways, what songs are on RockBand?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band

That said, how can I get those songs

Are they only unlockable in one player mode? Or do they just take a long time to make them available?
Afrombean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #34
mr.mooman
FFR Player

hey i was wondering how the drums fell because i am a drummer myself and would like to try it out if it is worth the money
Old 11-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #35
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mooman View Post
hey i was wondering how the drums fell because i am a drummer myself and would like to try it out if it is worth the money
To paraphrase what I've already said in the thread:

the kicks will feel weird on the low difficulties so you might have some trouble getting used to it on easy or medium

but the intricacy of the patterns might be too hard for you to get used to jumping into things at the beginning

Once you're used to it, you should be doing just fine, but there is that hump to get over. As a point of reference, I just started single player mode after playing what must have been like half of multiplayer world tour (most of it was guitar though), and within 2 songs I had it clicked in my head how I needed to do things on medium difficulty.

And as a drummer, you might feel awkward with the setup as well. They're aligned like marching quad toms. It's not a big deal though, really, and despite not being as right as it could be, it plays just fine.

ps wtf who said there was a thing to hold the sticks because I got freaking nothing over here and I am really confused take a freaking picture of it or something.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #36
mr.mooman
FFR Player

thanks i kinda thought they should have set it up more like a real drum set not like quads also why not get a stick bag?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #37
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
thanks i kinda thought they should have set it up more like a real drum set not like quads also why not get a stick bag?
If I was going to invest money on this deal, I'd probably buy a pair of sticks before a freaking bag (couldn't find my old sticks :'( ).

Oh by the way, I was doing so good on Medium that I decided to try drumming on Hard. Did rather well with it, so I decided to try Expert. Got my freaking ass handed to me. Changing from Hard to Expert made it go from simple beat with simple kick to kinda challenging beat and CRAZY kick.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:37 PM   #38
mr.mooman
FFR Player

then i guess the difficulty settings are the same as guitar hero because hard is way easier than expert. also has the drum set screwed up at all since you bought it?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #39
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
ps wtf who said there was a thing to hold the sticks because I got freaking nothing over here and I am really confused take a freaking picture of it or something.

Stick 'em in there, tip-end first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrombean View Post
That said, how can I get those songs

Are they only unlockable in one player mode? Or do they just take a long time to make them available?
Takes a while. Collect fans, stars, etc. Increase difficulties if you're not getting any fans. I don't think it goes by average difficulty, but rather the lowest difficulty being played on by any member.

Quote:
Oh by the way, I was doing so good on Medium that I decided to try drumming on Hard. Did rather well with it, so I decided to try Expert. Got my freaking ass handed to me. Changing from Hard to Expert made it go from simple beat with simple kick to kinda challenging beat and CRAZY kick.
Now that's what I'm talking about, haha. It's probably a much easier transition for me, because I don't play drums, and I've played quite a bit of DrumMania.

Quote:
also has the drum set screwed up at all since you bought it?
I haven't noticed any deterioration of quality, but I'm still worried about how well it registers really fast drumming.

Didn't get to play at all today, but I think I should be playing all day again tomorrow. yusss
Old 11-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #40
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Just a few Qs Afro.

Does the petal add that much to how hard it is? I've played the Demo songs on Expert and lmfao....but if that petal (That wasnt in the demo) Kicks it up then maybe it'll be fun. I played quite a few turns on Purcussion Master so I want it harder then that if I want to buy it.

Will the GH Controllers work, or well they work with an option that you turn off the high frets, or not at all? Heard alot of things about this.

Also, someone tell me if the Vocals are easy to do or if the game keeps saying your offkey.

Oh yeah for the 2nd game they should add BM I would love that

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote