Default Re: "Play/Test/Judge my simfile" thread V2

-The name of the song: the livestream song
-Style played: 4key
-Length: 2:41
-Difficulty: hard - unrated
-this is my first file and i want to know what i need to improve/change
-you can find the artist here or here

EDIT: oops forgot download lol http://www.mediafire.com/?etx2dq676x87p8i

Last edited by storn42; 02-15-2013 at 10:43 PM..
storn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
.Rarity
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to .Rarity

Name - Christmas Memories
Style - Keyboard (4K)
Length - 2:00
Difficultly - Hard (7)
Notes - My first chart that I actually took it seriously, and spent a good few hours on it. Intentionally, there was supposed to be two charts but I'd rather release this as a W.I.P. so I can get some feedback.

DL Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?rmh2f1q74zf46jl
Old 03-7-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Rarity View Post
Name - Christmas Memories
Style - Keyboard (4K)
Length - 2:00
Difficultly - Hard (7)
Notes - My first chart that I actually took it seriously, and spent a good few hours on it. Intentionally, there was supposed to be two charts but I'd rather release this as a W.I.P. so I can get some feedback.

DL Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?rmh2f1q74zf46jl
The song is pretty straightforward and is a good choice to step as a beginner.

The file is a bit off-sync: notes are around 50ms early, and the bpm of the song is actually exactly 170 rather than the 169.8 something in the file.

There are a few ghost notes (notes that do not correspond to any sound in the music). This is in the form of just a few 12th notes every now and then that didn't actually go to a sound, and the 24th gallops toward the end of the song.
There are a few misrhythms: The few 32nds are actually 12ths (it's more noticeable with the music on sync).

In general, be mindful of what sounds you're stepping and why you're stepping it that way. A problem with this chart is that it seems to randomly switch from jumps to notes without anything changing in the song. It results in gameplay being counter-intuitive and lacking flow.

Decide which instrument you want to step, and step it as single notes (typically). Add difficulty to it by layering another instrument as you see fit. This means when two instruments in the song are played at the same time, step it as a jump. This will make gameplay a lot more enjoyable and intuitive, and it allows the player to "feel" the music more clearly, so to speak. Just make sure you're layering it consistently over significant periods of time, i.e. don't layer on the vocals for 5 seconds and arbitrarily switch to percussion without some noticeable change in the song itself. For example, 54 seconds in you go from stepping piano to vocals with 64ths/32nds. It's not bad to step vocals, but it's quite unexpected here and doesn't happen like that anywhere else in the file, and there isn't any significant change in the song to merit this IMO.

Pattern-wise, it's pretty good. Be mindful of creating minijacks (they appear in this file usually before jumps). They're not too much of a problem at this speed, but try to place them with purpose rather than by coincidence (not saying you necessarily did that). A trill followed by a minijack is an unfriendly pattern.

It's still good for a first chart. I hope I wasn't too negative or overwhelming. Also keep in mind that a lot about stepping is subjective, and this advice is purely my opinion based from my experience stepping and playing.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
.Rarity
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
The song is pretty straightforward and is a good choice to step as a beginner.
The file is a bit off-sync: notes are around 50ms early, and the bpm of the song is actually exactly 170 rather than the 169.8 something in the file.
There are a few ghost notes (notes that do not correspond to any sound in the music). This is in the form of just a few 12th notes every now and then that didn't actually go to a sound, and the 24th gallops toward the end of the song.
There are a few misrhythms: The few 32nds are actually 12ths (it's more noticeable with the music on sync).
In general, be mindful of what sounds you're stepping and why you're stepping it that way. A problem with this chart is that it seems to randomly switch from jumps to notes without anything changing in the song. It results in gameplay being counter-intuitive and lacking flow.

Decide which instrument you want to step, and step it as single notes (typically). Add difficulty to it by layering another instrument as you see fit. This means when two instruments in the song are played at the same time, step it as a jump. This will make gameplay a lot more enjoyable and intuitive, and it allows the player to "feel" the music more clearly, so to speak. Just make sure you're layering it consistently over significant periods of time, i.e. don't layer on the vocals for 5 seconds and arbitrarily switch to percussion without some noticeable change in the song itself. For example, 54 seconds in you go from stepping piano to vocals with 64ths/32nds. It's not bad to step vocals, but it's quite unexpected here and doesn't happen like that anywhere else in the file, and there isn't any significant change in the song to merit this IMO.
Pattern-wise, it's pretty good. Be mindful of creating minijacks (they appear in this file usually before jumps). They're not too much of a problem at this speed, but try to place them with purpose rather than by coincidence (not saying you necessarily did that). A trill followed by a minijack is an unfriendly pattern.
It's still good for a first chart. I hope I wasn't too negative or overwhelming. Also keep in mind that a lot about stepping is subjective, and this advice is purely my opinion based from my experience stepping and playing.
Now this is exactly what I'm looking for... Thanks for all your advice! Hope I can apply this to make this chart a little better.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #25
.Rarity
FFR Player

Name - Cupcake in my Eye (Original Mix)
Style - Keyboard (4K)
Length - 1:09
Difficultly - Light (4)
Notes - My 2nd file that I took seriously, I even had to re-download Audacity and DDream to make sure it's at least decent haha. Thanks for the peeps at the Team Pony skype chat, this chart is intended to be put on FFR that's a pretty hard beginners/low-end intermediate chart. My main concern is how my take is on the ending of the chart, I think I might have over-done it.

DL Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?h1b5j5w07dsao2e
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #26
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Name - Cupcake in my Eye (Original Mix)
Style - Keyboard (4K)
Length - 1:09
Difficultly - Light (4)
Notes - My 2nd file that I took seriously, I even had to re-download Audacity and DDream to make sure it's at least decent haha. Thanks for the peeps at the Team Pony skype chat, this chart is intended to be put on FFR that's a pretty hard beginners/low-end intermediate chart. My main concern is how my take is on the ending of the chart, I think I might have over-done it.

DL Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?h1b5j5w07dsao2e

first things first. your notes are off by a 32nd so fix that plz. avoid one handed trills that are as long and as fast as you have them for files that are suppose to be easy. there is a huge jump in difficulty when you compare the beginning to the second half of this file. im not a big fan of the jacks in this file but thats more on you than anything. the ending little js bit i would get rid of it because thats just mean. i would go with something more like [13]x.x.[34][12][34] instead of what you have .
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
.Rarity
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
first things first. your notes are off by a 32nd so fix that plz. avoid one handed trills that are as long and as fast as you have them for files that are suppose to be easy. there is a huge jump in difficulty when you compare the beginning to the second half of this file. im not a big fan of the jacks in this file but thats more on you than anything. the ending little js bit i would get rid of it because thats just mean. i would go with something more like [13]x.x.[34][12][34] instead of what you have.
syncing is such a nightmare... Is there an easy and/or foolproof way for it? I'll get right to that. And I guess I did overdid it then, will work on some more.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #28
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
syncing is such a nightmare... Is there an easy and/or foolproof way for it? I'll get right to that. And I guess I did overdid it then, will work on some more.
Use ddream and visually sync the beats with the sound waveforms.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:23 AM   #29
.Rarity
FFR Player

I did, and I fixed it now but I'm not gonna put up a dl link for updated ver unless asked, can you check sync via this yt vid?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #30
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
I did, and I fixed it now but I'm not gonna put up a dl link for updated ver unless asked, can you check sync via this yt vid?

find a song that doesn't change tempo. then find an auto bpm program. the one im using and i think works really well for one tempo music is mixmeister bpm analyzer. works well and can find multiple bpms at once. also try and use the wave filter to help, some songs with heavy drums dont need this but if its all around loud it will defiantly help.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #31
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

EDIT: to match formatting:
Song Name: Future Destination
Style: 4-key
Length: 2:10
Difficulty: Hard (11)
This is just a fun JS file that I stepped on a whim. It's my 30 something'th file, not really looking for critique since it's not technically stepped. Have fun.
Artist: Renard
DL: http://puu.sh/2gPo7

Last edited by rushyrulz; 03-13-2013 at 11:16 AM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #32
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by storn42 View Post
find a song that doesn't change tempo. then find an auto bpm program. the one im using and i think works really well for one tempo music is mixmeister bpm analyzer. works well and can find multiple bpms at once. also try and use the wave filter to help, some songs with heavy drums dont need this but if its all around loud it will defiantly help.
I don't recall Mixmeister being able to find multiple BPMs. I just use it for determining songs with a static tempo.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #33
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

Song Name: Kirby Smash [Work In Progress]
Length: 2:22
Difficulty: Lvl 38-44? Not sure using FFR ranks and whatnot
Artist: Foxsky

DL: http://puu.sh/2gZBz

----------------------

I plan on sending this to the next batch, whenever the hell it opens. Paying credits to whoever gives me a legit review of what they think. Been working on this for a month now? I cant seem to get this file perfect yet

EDIT: View in Ddream I think for best results? lol

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #34
axith
FFR Veteran
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
I enjoyed playing the file. Most everything made sense to me. At the 126ish second mark I'm not sure why you have jumps on 16th's occasionally. I'm not the person to ask about exact rhythms so I'll let someone else say if there's issues with the tricky rhythms earlier in the song, it played fine to me. I wish you luck getting it in-game.
axith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #35
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Not too bad actually. Nothing felt really awkward and patterns seemed to flow alright, and some decent PR. However I felt that there was major inconsistency in layering throughout, I understand the desire to add variation in some of the more repetitive parts, but there are parts that just seem very empty (the beginning is a prime example). I think adding variations in the patterns while keeping a consistent layering would be fine and make the file a little more enjoyable. You have some interesting ideas on expressing with color notes. Overall just work on consistency in layering (especially in the beginning and some other dense areas that don't have a lot of layering where there should be), and then maybe add some more variation to the patterns in some of the more repetitive parts. Keep on working at it!
baq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #36
Nick Skyline
Retired from VSRGs
FFR Veteran

Song Name: Kick-Ass Kung Fu Carnival
Length: 3:15
Difficulty: 70-75 (FFR difficulties, planning to submit this into the batch)
Artist: t+pazolite

DL Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/94622807/Kic...20Skyline).zip
Nick Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #37
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
I don't recall Mixmeister being able to find multiple BPMs. I just use it for determining songs with a static tempo.
i said that it could find songs with a single tempo. i meant that you could find the bpm of multiple songs at once with this.

also:
-Song: Perfect Day
-Length: 3:57
-Difficulty: hard
- http://www.mediafire.com/?xi3z6pv68fzmvvi

Last edited by storn42; 03-16-2013 at 01:40 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #38
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
i said that it could find songs with a single tempo. i meant that you could find the bpm of multiple songs at once with this.
Oh, in that case, you're right. I never really thought of that because I never needed to determine the bpms for multiple songs simultaneously.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #39
Nick Skyline
Retired from VSRGs
FFR Veteran

Quote:
-Song: Perfect Day
-Length: 3:57
-Difficulty: hard
- http://www.mediafire.com/?a9woiz792egb90t
2/10
Wow, that hurt to play. Let me see if I can detail everything that's wrong here...Usage of holds, hands, and quads are ultimately awkward and do not seem to flow to the song at all...which, to me, isn't one of Freedom Call's better songs to begin with. Even the fact that it's kind of in sync doesn't even matter when your simfile is poorly made. Even the one pause you put in the file didn't seem to flow correctly. Overall, it's a very inconsistent train-wreck of a file.
Nick Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #40
Zyphoror
Handstream Hawaii
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Zyphoror

Song: S!ck
Style: 4K
Length: 2:04
Difficulty: I labeled it as a 14 on my scale, 75-80 range on FFR? Not sure
Artist: Eagle
Stepped this about a month ago

http://www.mediafire.com/?8asqbsk7z8b36lg

WHO'S UP FOR MEGA HARDAIN LOL
Song: Daddy Can Change
Style: 4K
Length: 1:00
Difficulty: I labeled it as a 17 on my scale, 93-96 range on FFR
Stepped this recently as a challenge file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4h1h9w71hsfy70s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
every anime girl has had wicked diarrhea at some point in their lifetime and this is something that every man, woman and child is going to shoulder for the rest of their lives
[1/19/13 12:28:59 AM] Dylan Fujimoto (Zyphoror): im going to an arcade
[1/19/13 12:29:04 AM] Dylan Fujimoto (Zyphoror): this monday for like, 4 or 5 hours
[1/19/13 12:29:26 AM] Eze Ho Ee Jie | Descension: make a vid where you try to hit freeze notes on DDR
[1/19/13 12:29:28 AM] Eze Ho Ee Jie | Descension: : ))
[1/19/13 12:29:33 AM] Dylan Fujimoto (Zyphoror): LMFAO FUCK U
Zyphoror is offline   Reply With Quote