Old 03-26-2017, 12:49 AM   #1
ShadoWolfe
FFR Player

Default Netflix Death Note Movie

Like many of you, I love Death Note. So as to not go on a tangent as to why it was good, suffice it to say it's a quality manga, quality anime, 10/10 would smoke again.

So, naturally, I was excited to hear that Netflix is releasing an original Live Action film adaptation of such a dank series.
Until I saw the trailer:

It's still too early to be certain, but it looks like Netflix has not only managed to wreck twist the plot to "thrill" us with intense action scenes and love stories, but also manage to cast what may be the least true-to-character actors I've ever seen.
You can see Light and Misa in the trailer above ^

Here's L:

I don't know how or why they changed Light from being a slightly preppy, slightly insane, over-idealistic genius to.. what appears to be a fringe punk kid. I also don't know how L, who's supposed to be a really weird, reclusive supergenius detective locked in solitude to solve the world's mysteries while eating strawberries barefoot with his thumb in his mouth, somehow became a very normal-looking black dude. As in, not a reclusive loner, probably eats strawberries, but almost certainly not barefoot with his thumb in his thumb in his mouth

/rant
Thoughts?
I really hope Netflix makes me eat my words by producing something worthwhile here D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte
I followed the "by the book" play, but I was reading the "not to do" page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
" I'd suck a dick in a dark, dark alley."
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
"i gave you 20 ducks, and spent a lot of time making one of them quack, and pointed at the particular one and asked "is that one the worst quacker"" ... "you could still give somewhat of an answer based on the quality of the quacks, and the other random quacks from the ducks surrounding that weren't the center of focus."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie
"I love Wolfe's duck avi so much. Shado's Duck Shrine is the best!!
ShadoWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:00 AM   #2
Banned
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Netflix Death Note Movie

you're over-analyzing when you barely got to see anything
top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:09 AM   #3
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra

I think it's not so much a death note recreation, more of an inspired heavily by death note scenario. If I were to watch it (I don't think I plan to), I'd look at it like that, moreso than a live action version of the manga
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:22 AM   #4
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

plz no

I hate Light almost as much as I hate Misa

wtf is with her hair??? i hate this casting so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:29 AM   #5
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I think the thing I want the most is at least some understanding on what makes those characters the way they are.For an example: A different take on L's eccentric behavior where he is a tall black man who is probably socially awkward and sees the world so drastically different that he cant carry a normal conversation but easily notices weird shit would be pretty different from the albino Englishman who locked himself away to eat sweats and solve rubik's cubes all day but as long as they nail the important part of him being seen as A - somehow removed from normal society and B - uses that to solve cases I will still enjoy L.

Now is that what they are doing? I somehow doubt it. I feel like we'll get an actor who will mostly play the role straight with L just being smarter then most people and when everyone realizes that they rather have the fun quirky L instead we'll have to watch our Facebook feeds fill up with buzzfeed articles about how everyone is raciest towards Black L or some shit.

But maybe i'm wrong, and I hope I am. Even if it's all a different take on these characters, as long as the actual traits that made them compelling are there I'll enjoy it. I enjoy different takes on A Christmas Carol, why not Death Note? It's just a matter of them recapturing that spirit. Death Note is well passed a decade old now and we have plenty of copies of the manga and anime that will likely be around forever. No harm in something a little different so long as they stay true to the idea.

Which they likely won't

.....idk probably will end up watching it

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 03-26-2017 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: Complete sentences and thoughts
MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:14 AM   #6
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

all i remember about death note is how horribly nonsensical and total garbage the latter half of the second season was
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:08 AM   #7
ShadoWolfe
FFR Player

@top this is true, but the cast can day a lot about a film before it's released

@Cel but.. the manga was incredibly good. I think I'll take your suggestion if I watch it though, so that I don't end up disappointed like I did with Assassin's Creed

@Raeko mindmeld except I hate Light's casting even more than Misa and even more than L who is wearing a mask and giving press conferences for some reason..

@MML good point. I feel like they'll do their best to come up with their own backgrounds for the characters, but my issue is that changing the background is changing the characters, and the characters are what made Death Note what it was. Any plot can feature an ability to instantly kill people, but those characters really brought it together. You're right, though. Maybe a different take doesn't have to be bad. We can always hope, right?

@Mina lol you mean with the 2nd generation of orphan geniuses (Near & Co.)? Yea there were a few unnecessary developments but all those strings built up to a really incredible ending tbh. I'd give it full ratings every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte
I followed the "by the book" play, but I was reading the "not to do" page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
" I'd suck a dick in a dark, dark alley."
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
"i gave you 20 ducks, and spent a lot of time making one of them quack, and pointed at the particular one and asked "is that one the worst quacker"" ... "you could still give somewhat of an answer based on the quality of the quacks, and the other random quacks from the ducks surrounding that weren't the center of focus."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie
"I love Wolfe's duck avi so much. Shado's Duck Shrine is the best!!
ShadoWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

They clearly aren't trying to directly adapt the source material

I honestly think the anime is pretty bad after L's death
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
They clearly aren't trying to directly adapt the source material

I honestly think the anime is pretty bad after L's death
Fam I just got to reading vol 2 of the manga, say it aint so desu ;-;
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #10
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Quote:
all i remember about death note is how horribly nonsensical and total garbage the latter half of the second season was
Yeah the level of Bat Deduction in the series suddenly goes through the fuckin roof and quickly turns into unbearable poo poo garbage. I'd worry more about the broke-ass plot than the people acting in it.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #11
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

Willem Defoe seems like he would be a really good Ryuk. At least it sounds like him anyways.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #12
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
I mean, it's bad compared to the first one but wasn't unwatchable to me. Near is an annoying bullshit character but I did enjoy Mello. The plot gets jumbled but the ending at least ties it all up. IDK it's never kept me from enjoying the first half of the series.

I must confess last time I watched it I stopped after Mello does his thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
Fam I just got to reading vol 2 of the manga, say it aint so desu ;-;
How the hell have you not heard yet?
Don't worry, there's plenty there to entertain so I still recommend you keep reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenjoku View Post
Willem Defoe seems like he would be a really good Ryuk. At least it sounds like him anyways.
Yeah best casting choice ever tbh

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote