Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-3-2010, 08:27 AM   #41
3rmacs
FFR Player

Default Re: In this thread we talk about rhythm gaming histories

omg omg omg its mr.rubix. give me your skill!!!!!!!
Old 11-3-2010, 11:17 AM   #42
KotHN
FFR's Resident President
FFR Veteran

Anyone ever play VOS? Played that crazy game for a while back in like ... 2005. Introduced to Guiter Hero around 2006, started playing on Hard after a half hour. Only played once until I bought Guitar Hero 3 about 3 years later XD
Joined FFR sometime in 2007 when recommended by a friend. Quickly blew past him and steadily got better at the game. Pretty much at the extent of my ability though. Downloaded stepmania in 2008 and was all-right-ish at that too.
Rocking out 100%'s in Guitar Hero WT and Rock Band to this day. The End!

tldr; seriously though, anyone ever play VOS? that game was awful! I remember laughing so hard the first time I played that I cried
KotHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2010, 12:21 PM   #43
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

wtf I liked VOS so much

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2010, 12:52 PM   #44
KotHN
FFR's Resident President
FFR Veteran

lol, it was a great concept, but the files were awful! they were like synthlight files with 7 keys. Buuuuuut it might have something to do with me not being able to find well-made ones, seeing as i couldn't speak korean and was a scrub at finding things on the internet. I never had more than 40 or 50 files.
KotHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2010, 05:53 PM   #45
Sweet Serenity
FFR Player

Unfortunately FFR was the first rhythm game I came across. Ever. Well, technically stepmania, but I was terrible and didn't play seriously when I first found out about it.

Unless you consider guitar hero, or even Parappa the Rappa a rhythm game. Hahaha.
Old 11-3-2010, 06:47 PM   #46
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

ew
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2010, 07:12 PM   #47
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I started rhythm gaming in 1998 (that's when I was 9). My first ever rhythm game was bm98.

*..eh too much to write inbetween... I'm too lazy...*

In 2008 I switched to Mac which didn't have any decent bms launchers. I looked for a flash-based rhythm game and remembered about FFR (I first stumbled upon this game in 2004~5 or something), so I joined here.

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2010, 07:17 PM   #48
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
I started rhythm gaming in 1998 (that's when I was 9). My first ever rhythm game was bm98.

*..eh too much to write inbetween... I'm too lazy...*

In 2008 I switched to Mac which didn't have any decent bms launchers. I looked for a flash-based rhythm game and remembered about FFR (I first stumbled upon this game in 2004~5 or something), so I joined here.
and thus the legacy of reonid began
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2010, 07:18 PM   #49
sakura080789
Rapture Universe
FFR Veteran

i guess my history is like this:

i started off by playing DDR MAX 2 when i was 13 and i fell in love with the game and music so i played and played and played untill i got better then i started to play in the arcades then i discovered ITG but i sucked so bad at it. so i kept playing and playing and playing untill i got to be able to play heavy and oni. then i tried ITG again and loved how much harder it was. then i was told about FFR about the year it started but i had no access to a computer or the interwebs so i could never register wahhh i know. so a few years went by then i learned how to get around blocks at school so i signed up here the day after Valentines Day XD, but of course before i got here i was told about Stepmania, i had always made my bad edits for my DDR games which are Max, Max 2,Extreme 2 and Supernova. the first time i played stepmania i sucked so bad at it but that exact same day after giving up on that i figured out exactly how to move my fingers around a keypad then i gave it a try again and i was able to do pad stuff on heavy, then after that i found out that i could make my own files out of any song i wanted so i went looking for a song and it took me to DM Ashura's site and i found the song i wanted to step which was Dies Irae so one night i even though i didn't know how to sync or make graphics i did my best and wow i played it now compared to my new stuff it sucked XD. haha well then FFR comes in i started off slow making files a few at a time then i wanted to start getting better at playing so i downloaded the now old KB packs and i started to learn kb and i wanted to start stepping more complex charts for pack (still at this point i have never gotten one of my files in a major pack) but eh who knows what the future holds...
Old 11-3-2010, 08:10 PM   #50
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Back in 2005 I got DDR Extreme 2 and tried out Guitar Hero (back when they were just released that year). I sucked gorilla penis at guitar hero but did ok on DDR. I actually went to a few of my high school tournaments when I was in middle school and won one of them, and then second place facing another high school lol. I was a midget competing against tall high school kids. It was pretty funny.

I found FFR in 2005 but didn't sign up until 2006. Then I cheated and used arrow slowdown on files like Molto Vivace (lol!) on my first account. Man I really was a little snitch back then, thinking I could get away with it that easily LMFAO!

Anyways, in 2007 I actually tried avmiss legit and got 9 clean on Nova Pulser and 6 clean on Turkish March on my BPM guy account. Then I posted stepmania double setup scores. It pretty much just caused a ruckus and I had to make this account in early 2008 to start over - I didn't forget my past mistakes, and I'm not hiding them. I just kept a low profile and then posted some vibrating scores, and in december that year I got the first Jackhammer madness AAA in the world. It's still probably my best milestone to this day, although some other scores I've gotten may be arguably better.

After that I just started to improve on speed and stamina, and here I am. Real stepmania didn't start until march 2008, but I did have prior rhythm gaming experience. 2008 was the "vibrating" age - henkz, XXneonXX, Sakish, etc. appear and I joined with them as a "vibrating ******", which ODI described me as. Later I helped Rebound with his first Vibrajacking pack, and after that we became AIM buddies as well as with samurai7694. Then I found IcyWorld on youtube and we're also AIM buddies to this day.

I no longer play guitar hero or DDR, but I've always been active in stepmania. Something else that might be notable is that I passed MIHC when I was 13 years old. But age doesn't matter in this game.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2010, 10:07 PM   #51
thechild
FFR Player

I think I win this thread with..

I played DDR on the PS1 with a controller when I was 4 then I moved to the pad when I was 6, I was able to do 10 footers on all the xbox versions of DDR at like age 10. Totally stopped playing when I was about 11 just overall, I got bored. Found FFR from somebody on runescape I think haha the same year or about a year later, because I was 12 when I signed up.started stepmania a couple months later. I got GH2 for the 360 also in 2007, got into that and stuff and I also played GH3, but I didn't play that game close to as seriously as stepmania and ffr. Christmas 2007, I got rock band and just loved drums on that game. I was playing expert in like a week.

Everything in-between I have no idea, I just played generally played rock band then rock band 2 on the drums pretty seriously. Now I still play only rock band when it comes to rhythm gaming, and rock band also inspired me to become a real drummer in 2009! I own a drum set and I take private lessons every week, so I thank rock band for that lol. I also got a ion drum when it was released because I liked rb that much.
thechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2010, 12:01 AM   #52
Wineandbread
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

I don't even remember when I started rhythm gaming but I think it was around 2006 or so
I remember being obsessed with Soul Shift or something haha
But it was more of just some random flash game fling at the time and I ditched it for a year

Then later on I was sniffing around for DDR emulators after being enticed by playing soft pad at a few friends' homes. I came across Stepmania; things chained and I ended up back on FFR. Mind you, I was still one handed around this time because I just happened to start that way. Downloaded some KBMPs, CKBMPs, F4/F5 and went on my merry way to try and get better.

Skill level rose slowly, but surely. Got introduced to Guitar Hero during this time and wrecked the hell out of it (relative to my friends) pretty fast. But I didn't actually own a GH game until GH3 came out.

In early 2008 or so I started experimenting with index and spread. Made a separate account, Wineandbread, to facilitate my spread scores (first account remained 1-hand scores on FFR for the most part). Posted a few times in SM Scores but rarely noticed (still the same way cause I still suck)

By late 2008 I was looking to branch out to new rhythm games. RB had been out for a while, but I failed hard at drums and couldn't sing for ****. Tried osu! for a bit, was donkin' bad and I quit for a while (came back later, play every so often nowadays) Tried BMS and o2jam as well but I didn't play those very well either (although I would probably have kept playing o2jam had they not region restricted the game); back to Stepmania...

I hit some kind of skill plateau mid 2009. Wasn't getting any faster so I tried improving MA, which came with modest but still unsatisfactory results. I migrated to KBO when the crash came and I took up solo for a while and made some nice newbie strides, but wasn't motivated to continue too much. It seems that I'm slowly declining in skill right now and I don't have much time nor motivation to try and regain it.

Took to stepping files, releasing my first public file, Poquito Mas, in Xoon 4; still trying to improve. Only have a few files out in some other not-so-well-known packs atm but I'm working on it.
We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017

Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.

Wineandbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-6-2010, 12:13 AM   #53
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
and in december that year I got the first Jackhammer madness AAA in the world. It's still probably my best milestone to this day
Dude, I think I have that video bookmarked. Your "Oh my god--*nervous laugh*" after pulling it off will live in my memory for about as long as Proton Jon's profanity-laced tirades against Kaizo Mario World's second special stage. Here it is (Dossar's video, not Proton Jon's LP of that atrocity of a level).

Anyway, my origin story will probably be fairly unusual to the rest of you. I actually found this game through a frenemy of mine on the Adventure Quest forums...I think her name was something like Katy Kat or something. Anyway, it took me a while to get the hang of the timing, but within days we were posting back and forth in the thread there, daring each other to beat various achievements. I recall bragging about a 300 combo on Terror from Beyond yet complaining about the "fast" parts in that Megaman 2 file. (I only got around to AAAing that one on LD's port while it was down, actually...as of now I officially still have a BF on it.)

I quickly noticed that you needed an account to keep track of scores, and I signed up under the name you see and laugh at to this day. I do remember being one of the better players during the days of songs like FF7 Battle, even holding a two-digit rank on Domani at one point. I expressed my fair share of awe at some of the scores posted in the Brag Board (back when it was described as getting "the number one score on Hellbeat"...goddamn 421421124124 section). I remember whiling away many hours I probably should have spent studying on the undergraduate library computers and getting numerous admonishments to hit the keys more softly.

Some of the things I've felt good about in my many years here:
-Briefly holding the top score on Rollercoaster Ride Heavy in R2 with a AAA. I also got a 4g FC run of Grind Me To Dust that put me at 2nd to the outrage of people like Danceguy, a blackflag of Euromorroc Standard, and I was on and off the leader board for Lost Trace Standard for a while. PFCing Playdoh Light felt good, too, but the grading for that song was messed up.
-The rare compliment from players like Ridder. It wasn't often, but trust me, it has happened.
-The war against Novacaine. Proof positive of the maxim that "someday we'll look back on this and laugh." I still haven't matched up to his claims of a BF of Hyper Pressure, but I'm still around and he's not.
-Busting out a 28-2-0-2 run of Gradeus that launched me to D3 of one of the official tournaments (the one where Shash beat Laggy by 100 points on Almost There to take it all), then barely getting through the second round before getting destroyed by Rumia. I still can't SDG that ass-munch of a file.
-Full combo of Lawn Wake 4. Seriously, that came out of nowhere.
-Being scouted for inclusion into the ranks of Team Chaos. Being asked to play files like Strangeprogram while someone was watching me through MP was more than slightly nerve-wracking.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-6-2010, 01:09 AM   #54
T-Force
Your world ends with you
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrhythm View Post
-The rare compliment from players like Ridder. It wasn't often, but trust me, it has happened.
I have a hard time believing anything positive can come from that guy...
T-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-6-2010, 06:05 PM   #55
DJMillaMusic
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelikepeaches View Post
regardlesss...100 percent

..i am the master
He's the master Kasumi-chan, give it up. I used to play this one, but I completely forgot what it is called... Uhhh. Oh yea. Audiosurf
Old 11-6-2010, 06:20 PM   #56
vantilburg
lol internet
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to vantilburg Send a message via MSN to vantilburg

I had this demo disc for the Playstation that had Parappa the Rapper among other games
I was probably around 9 at the time; otherwise, I cut my teeth on FFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaguchiTheCat View Post
You are an ultimate humafag. Calling you an ultimate humafag is an understatement. You are a complete loonatic huma****! You should be shot with a bazooka for thinking this.
You've been hanging around the wrong furries, then. Most furries are nice people. ALL humafags are huge jerks. Environmentalists are good people who care about this planet, unlike you, Squeek.
vantilburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-6-2010, 06:58 PM   #57
Draigun
om nom nom nom.
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Draigun Send a message via MSN to Draigun Send a message via Skype™ to Draigun

delight delight reduplication
Old 11-6-2010, 07:43 PM   #58
Doghouse1227
FFR Player

I started with DDR Konamix back in '98, but did originally hear about the first DDR, I remember the first time I tried it out, I was in lesson mode, and I just managed to pass each lesson and as soon as I completed the lesson, I went into the game mode and the first song I played was After The Game because it was slow and easy, everyone else was doing heavy and that made me want to be able to play just as good as everyone in the house, as time went by I got better, but I can't do well in heavy and challenge because I don't have the money to buy mats that wont slip around. Then it was about 5 years later, when I went over a friends house and he had DDR MAX and MAX 2, I went and got it, but it was so hard to find it, we had to go 5 towns over in a toys r us just to get them with a new mat. Then a year later I found out about Stepmania on youtube and me searching on Google. In 2005, I got for a Christmas gift DDR Extreme and three years later DDR SuperNOVA 2. A year or two earlier from getting SuperNOVA 2 I found out about this website and Guitar Hero and Rock Band but I was only interested in DDR and anything DDR. Now I'm the only one who plays DDR as everyone else lost interest. I know I wont because the games are way too fun to forget.
Doghouse1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-6-2010, 08:43 PM   #59
Royal Caribbean
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Serenity View Post
Unfortunately FFR was the first rhythm game I came across. Ever. Well, technically stepmania, but I was terrible and didn't play seriously when I first found out about it.

Unless you consider guitar hero, or even Parappa the Rappa a rhythm game. Hahaha.
Parappa the Rappa <3
Royal Caribbean is offline   Reply With Quote