Old 03-22-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark
Default Best of the West 2012

http://www.facebook.com/events/268176683258631/

Best of the West 2012 - Largest Music Game Tournament on the West Coast!

I’m pleased to welcome you to the mega-super-long-awesome Facebook event for Best of the West 2012! This is our first year, and we’re incredibly excited to host the largest music game tournament on the entire west coast!

---

Details:

Date: June 15th, 2012 to June 17th, 2012
Address: 855 East El Camino Real, Sunnyvale, California 94086
Registration: Starts at 5 PM on Friday. See schedule for more details.
Entry Fees:

One-time BotW fee (read on for more details!) – $5
One-time SVGL cover fee - $10
DJ MAX TECHNIKA3: Crew Challenge – $5
beatmania IIDX 19: Lincle – $5
pop’n music 20: Fantasia – $5
DDR EXTREME – $5
In The Groove 2 – $5
Jubeat Knit – $5
GuitarFreaks V8 – $5
DrumMania V8 – $5
beatmania III: THE FINAL – $5

(This is a tentative list and may change at any time.)

If you enter any ONE tournament, you pay the one-time Best of the West fee (more details about this below) and the one-time SVGL cover fee, in additional to that tournament’s cost. After that, you can enter any additional tournament for just that tournament’s cost. For example, if Jeff enters TECHNIKA and Jubeat tournaments, he pays $5 + $10 + $5 + $5 = $25.

Prizes: Each tournament offers a 60/30/10 split. So first place gets 60% of the prize pool, second place gets 30%, and third place gets 10%. There may be additional prizes for specific tournaments; we will give more details as time progresses!

In addition, all of the individual tournaments come together to determine who is truly the Best of the West! Please read on to see how this will work! There’s a possibility for even more money!

---

General Rules:

• See the schedule for all start times, deadlines, registration cutoffs, and everything else for reference. Read this very carefully! We cannot afford to be lenient for when tournaments start or end, or when it’s your turn to compete!
• Entry fees are nonrefundable. By entering anything, you will agree to this!
• All tournaments will be on free play.
• If you wish to enter any tournament, you must qualify at least one day before it begins. Read the schedule for more information. In other words, if a tournament starts on Saturday, you must qualify on Friday. If a tournament starts on Sunday, you must qualify on either Friday or Saturday.
• We will be using NCAA-style elimination brackets. For all tournaments (except DDR EXTREME), bracket sizes and elimination will depend on the amount of participants. If a 32-man bracket or smaller is used, the whole tournament will be double elimination. If a 64-man bracket or higher is used, the tournament will be single elimination until 32 people remain. From that point on, the tournament will be double elimination. Byes will be given to the highest seeds as necessary.
• You will have one minute to show up for your matches. Failure to show up will result in a warning and the skipping of your match, and repeat offenses will likely result in disqualification from the tournament you are in. The only exception is if you are participating in another match in another tournament at the time you are called. Please be aware of the brackets at all times! We will try to have a Google Doc or something similar to constantly update the brackets online, so you have no excuse for not knowing when you must show up. ☺
• You will not receive BotW points if you are disqualified from a tournament for any reason.
• The schedule is not final. Some tournaments may continue on Sunday if they don’t finish on Saturday. Please be aware of this!
• Machine errors for games will be recalculated at the discretion of the tournament director. If machine errors cannot be determined, they will not be recalculated. At this point, under full discretion of the tournament director, the machine errors will be recalculated, the machine percentage will stand, the song will be replayed, or a new song will be chosen depending on the situation. The tournament director has the final say in all of these matters!
• No distractions will be tolerated. This includes clapping, singing, verbal noises, and any other form of intentional distraction. If you need to ask what constitutes a distraction, the answer is yes.
• Keep excessive noise/screaming to an absolute minimum. I cannot stress this enough. The worst thing that observers can do is gasp when a player messes up. Please be respectful of the participants, and save applause, discussion, and noises until the song has completed.
• No violence, drugs, alcohol, or illegal substances will be tolerated. This should be fairly obvious. Especially as a family-oriented arcade, SVGL (and the police) will not look kindly on these kinds of activities. And as this is our first tournament, I guarantee that an incident will prevent another BotW. Save the partying for after the arcade closes, and play nice.
• In the same vein, be aware of the other people inside the arcade that are not a part of this tournament, especially children. Keep cursing and roughhousing to a minimum if possible.
• Anyone who fails to abide by any rules of conduct is subject to removal from all tournaments with no refund, being ejected from the arcade, being banned from SVGL for life, and/or arrested. I don’t expect anyone to misbehave, but I have to put this disclaimer here. If there is a problem, let one of the coordinators know so we can handle everything smoothly.

---

The Best of the West Point System:

To encourage you all to enter many tournaments, and in order to find out who the best music game player is on the west coast, we offer a point system to determine the player who can be called the Best of the West! This player can be said to have the highest overall skill across all music games. Here’s how it works:

The flat $5 BotW fee that all players pay will be placed into the Best of the West pot. You accrue points based on your performance in the various tournaments you enter. Even if you don’t place in the top three, you still obtain points and can theoretically still win the crown! We’re trying to find the most well-rounded player, meaning that placing 4th in every tournament will net your more points than someone who places 1st in two!

The system of delegating points is currently being adjusted. We will describe it in detail once it is complete.

---

Tournament rules coming soon!

---

Schedule:

Day One: Friday, June 15th, 2012

10 AM: Sunnyvale Golfland opens. Come early and get some rounds in to practice and warm up!

12 PM: Registration opens! Come see one of the tournament coordinators to sign up for tournaments. Payment is due immediately.

5 PM: Qualifiers begin. The tournament organizers have full control of the machines at this time. If a participant needs to qualify, he/she has priority in using the machine(s). If no one is qualifying, the tournament organizer may delegate players to take turns as normal. Just don’t expect the line to move quickly, and expect to be skipped by participants that are qualifying. We ask that if you have flexibility in your schedule on Friday, you come as early as possible. This is because more people will arrive later rather than sooner, and we want to make sure everyone who wants to qualify can do so.

12 AM: Sunnyvale Golfland closes. At this point, registration for all tournaments is closed, and the qualifying round for all tournaments is over.

Day Two: Saturday, June 16th, 2012

9 AM: Sunnyvale Golfland opens. Come early and get some rounds in to practice and warm up!

12 PM: DJ MAX TECHNIKA3, In The Groove 2, and beatmania IIDX tournaments will begin.

5 PM: GuitarFreaks and DrumMania tournaments will begin.

Day Three: Sunday, June 17th, 2012

12 PM: Sunnyvale Golfland opens. At this point, any tournaments that haven’t yet finished will finish. In addition, beatmania III, pop’n music, DDR EXTREME, and Jubeat tournaments will begin.

9 PM or after all tournaments end: The prize ceremony will begin, and we will tally up the points to find who can be called the Best of the West!

---

We hope you guys can make it out! Please RSVP and spread the word!

------------------------

Sounds like a blast, will certainly be there.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Best of the West 2012

Man, this looks fun. I quite fondly remember playing at the Sunnyvale Golf arcade. Sure is updated from the last time I went hehe. Too bad I probably can't attend this event. It'd be great if someone recorded some of the action.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
gnr61
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gnr61

looks like fun. i'll prolly end up going for extreme or something and just go for the social aspect n.n

also no stepmania tournament
Old 03-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Sweet it would be awesome to hang out again gnr. I'm actually going to seriously start training for this. I've gotten a ton better at ITG since our last meetup, so we'll see if I can fair pretty well in this. I actually don't know of a whole lot of really good ITG players in the bay area aside from you and Andi really, so I'm interested to see how good of a shot I actually have.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
gnr61
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gnr61

noice yo! i haven't played in what seems like years, but i've gotten in much better general shape since then haha, kind of excited to do this thang 8)

plus from the invite list it seems some random old pals from ohio may be going, that'd be sick o.O
Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Sappy will probably be going to this

Oh man
Old 03-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

What about stepmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
camels
FFR Player

Will customs be allowed on itg2? Which packs should I download to practice.
camels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
Kagome
Pop'n Music.
Retired Staff

Send a message via AIM to Kagome Send a message via MSN to Kagome

I remember in the past getting southern California people and northern California people together never worked because of distance. It was quite sad
Kagome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by camels View Post
Will customs be allowed on itg2? Which packs should I download to practice.
I really don't know if customs are allowed, I've just been whoring both the originals and popular pad packs just in case.
I'll probably enter the DDR Extreme tourny too. I can get 5 or less greats on everything except psmo, so I might have a shot at that.
Old 06-6-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

This event is in a little over a week, is anyone for sure going?

There's some really good players flying in for this thing so I don't expect to place top 5 anymore hoping for top 15 maybe?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

If any of you were interested in seeing stuff from this tourny, here's the finals for some games.

I don't think anyone got any videos for the DDR tournament really. And the ITG2 machine was running OpenITG, with super strict timing windows, pretty much like playing on judge 5.

ITG2 Final: Wanna Do - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUonphtY84
ITG2 Final: Vertex2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MBfbrzLkVM
ITG2 Final: Kagami - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001aFaoxdr4

JuBeat Finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axbwWbON6wc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJEXJqlo0Qg

Beatmania III Finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZm22dNV3g

DrumMania Finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPrpTbRR_5o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZq0FI9Cc8Q

My videos:
BillyJr vs ds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Ny_YTdSns
KevinDDR vs ds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSwNKFau_-U (the screen refresh rate is set to 30hz, so lol screen)

I came in 9th out of just under 40 people, had a freaking blast, and met a crapload of new friends. You guys missed out D:

Also, Kevin Boddy (MegamanX) and Aleta Ewing (JOKR) showed up, was pretty cool meeting them.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I hate watching tourney finals where I feel like Im better than them :V

did Kevin have a shirt on while he played?~
Old 07-1-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

This machine's timing was pretty much impossible to quad anything on. It's not the same timing windows as a dedicab. Play SM on Judge 5 or 6, that's about how it is.

Kevbo didn't really play, he just kinda hung out with us, he just stopped by for a few hours.