Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #21
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: emotional intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
Of course you can. With that fact put out there, lets just completely disregard emotional intelligence altogether! Since there are more high paying careers requiring academic credentials.

Also, I don't remember saying anything about family connections. I'm loving this presumptuous attitude. Can't help but feel like everything you've said surrounding the emotional intelligence area, has been biased and likewise, condescending towards it's importance and value.
How on earth is anything I've said in this thread presumptuous and/or condescending? Everything I've said regarding the two different skill sets has been accurate. Feel free to pick out something to substantiate your claim.

And yes, I never said you mentioned anything about family connections because, as far as I can tell, I am the one who brought it up, lol -- what's your point?

Last edited by MrRubix; 10-23-2009 at 09:25 PM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #22
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
How on earth has anything I've said in this thread presumptuous and/or condescending? Everything I've said regarding the two different skill sets has been accurate. Feel free to pick out something to substantiate your claim.

And yes, I never said you mentioned anything about family connections because, as far as I can tell, I am the one who brought it up, lol -- what's your point?
Can't recall accusing you of being outright condescending. Tis' only the -feel- I get from reading your posts good sir.

Forgive me, I was under the impression that your -random- mentioning of connections( in your case family connections), had something to do with my mentioning of friends having connections for a 100k+ job not requiring academic credentials.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #23
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Can't recall accusing you of being outright condescending.

Quote:
Can't help but feel like [...] condescending towards it's importance and value.
^this. Substantiate, please.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #24
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

I've found that what has been said in this thread has been helpful in progressing the topic at least up to post #24. Rubix's and stargroup's opinions are more deeply thought out than mine I admit.
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #25
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Feel-to have a particular sensation or impression of
Feeling-a sentiment; attitude; opinion

I went on to say that this is the feeling I get. I never said "you ARE...etc". Excuse my confusing tone. I can see it's made discerning from what is, and is not to be somewhat difficult on your behalf. Most understandable. Tis' the dilemma we sometimes face while posting on the internet.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #26
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

emotional intelligence seems like an interesting concept but very badly developed, reading this thread. a borderline-but-not-so-much-pseudo-scientific speculation about something that most people have experienced is not something i'd call an interesting read, but a starting point for further analisys for sure it is.
Mollocephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #27
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I know I'm a bit late getting in on this topic, but whatever.

Maybe EI vaguely exists and maybe it could be important, but I can make a very good argument for why we can't measure it, which means that as a psychometric property (such as IQ), it's an entirely useless construct, and that it's not actually an intelligence.

Tests that currently measure EI do not show high reliability or validity of measurement. Actually, many tests of EI do not measure what they are supposed to measure. One particular study showed the highest loading factor being measured on classic EI tests, e.g. MSCEIT, is conformity. That is, people that score high in this supposed 'emotional intelligence' just conform well to standards and norms. They're the robots that do whatever they're told, as referenced by the thread creator.

Other studies have shown that high scores on EI tests do not have external validity. E.g. you might have high knowledge of emotionality and how to respond in various situations, but that does not translate to actually behaving that way in real life.

People tend to respond in ways which are socially desirable, not ways in which they actually behave. This makes it just about impossible to ever develop a valid model of EI that can testable.

Also, because of these things, we shouldn't be calling it an 'intelligence' to begin with, because it goes against the standard definition of what an intelligence is.

EI is really just IQ - cognitive capacity for complexity - applied to a single domain - emotions. It is not an intelligence, but a skill. An intelligence is a natural ability to grasp complexity and abstraction; it is what you do when you do not know what to do. Dealing with emotions is highly culturally and socially dependent and is something that you learn to do - it is not an innate capacity.

So yes, the capacity to deal with people and their emotions is integral with respect to social interaction, which is obviously related to success in life, since success largely depends on how well you can kiss ass. This, however, is a learned ability and not an intelligence, and it is doubtful we would ever be able to measure it reliably.

Last edited by Reach; 11-29-2009 at 08:55 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #28
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

essencially EI will always be based on society