Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-6-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Kysora
FFR Player

Default [Uplifting Trance] Kysora - Vaani

Jeez it's been a while. I missed you guys.

This Cyanite. I forgot my old password and the administrators seem to be too preoccupied to tell me what it is, so I went ahead and made a new account.

Anyway, I still make music, and I've gotten rather good at it. This is the newest track I've made. Let me know what you guys think.

http://soundcloud.com/kysora/kysora-...nal-mix-rework

Thanks a ton. <3
Kysora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Starshot
/DJS\
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to Starshot Send a message via MSN to Starshot Send a message via Yahoo to Starshot
Default Re: [Uplifting Trance] Kysora - Vaani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysora View Post
I've gotten rather good at it.
Yes, yes you have.

Trance isn't my genre, so I don't really have any hard criticism, but the levels sound just fine. The drums could use a bit more mid range kick to them, but that's my own opinion.

Solid ****, my friend.
Old 12-6-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)
Retired StaffFFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to SpookG

I'd drop it in a set.

I think the best part of the song is too short though. I'd love it to be twice as long on the end run just so it would really get people dancing and euphoric, or the segment from 2:32-3:30 to just be dropped or redone to include it instead. I can't get enough of that lead. LIke you could take the progression lower for a change instead of up, add new percussion on top, doesn't have to be much to really get it going. Or add another copy of the lead and have one scale up and the other down. etc if you wanted to make it longer but didn't know what to add to keep it from being repetitive.

I just totally love long trancy runs that get everyone out there dancing.

Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
kerBLAM

Last edited by SpookG; 12-6-2010 at 06:16 PM..
SpookG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Kysora
FFR Player

Which part specifically are you talking about? Your favorite part?
Old 12-6-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)

from 4:45 to about 6:10 is the meat of the song, I'm judging. Everything before it is designed to build anticipation and get everything moving. Everything after is the outro used for mixing into the next song. The goal would be to then get as much mileage out of that part while maximizing the builds before for extra emphasis.

Sometimes in set I have taken a song, cut it up in soundforge and edited it just because I need more "umph" from it, or because I really want certain parts to shine in the set. If you handed me the song as is, I'd most likely cut out the middle section and add more to the finale. A great example of an artist who I have to do it for to maximize his arrangements is Wizzy Noise. Granted, I don't -have- to do it, but his songs turn from good dance floor buster to EPIC LIKE ALL HELL if I do.

So now that we have it broken down.

The segment from 2:32 to about 3:45 is designed to wind it down, before the big bang. It's incredibly long for what it is to do, which is introduce new elements and get the ball rolling towards the finale. The long ambient section kills this momentum. The best way to explain this is take 2:27 and then cut immediately to 4:17.

Sections like 3:47 to 4_15 can be cut out entirely to shore up the song if you want to keep that middle section. But it should keep more energy. And give you room to extend the "meat' without really making the song unnecessarily long.

kerBLAM

Last edited by SpookG; 12-6-2010 at 06:58 PM..
Old 12-6-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Kysora
FFR Player

Ehh, it's kind of bad in my opinion to just view the first and last sections of a track as disposable builds and resolves. I don't want to shorten sections of my songs that I can make melodically interesting just because they're not the main climax of the song. Melodically I pack more into my builds than most producers I'm familiar with who just hint at what's already coming, instead of writing unique hooks that fit the track but don't give away what's coming later.

You should listen to some tracks by Andy Blueman or Soundlift if you think I overdo the breakdowns, too. To me they're one of the most important elements of the track and I personally don't care if they kill the energy, I don't really write tracks to be suitable on the dance floor.

I appreciate the kind words though. I guess some people just look for different things in trance. I'd rather treat it as a musical medium instead of one that just makes people dance. Groove and energy just don't matter as much to me as much as interesting songwriting does.
Old 12-6-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)

They aren't disposable. If you think that you missed the point of what I was saying. Judging from the defensive attitude of the rest of the post you dove headlong into that instead of seeing it objectively.

**edit, i just don't care anymore beyond the first statements.

kerBLAM

Last edited by SpookG; 12-6-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Old 12-7-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
revolutionomega
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to revolutionomega Send a message via MSN to revolutionomega

Any way to get this in mp3 form?
Old 12-7-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
Kysora
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookG View Post
They aren't disposable. If you think that you missed the point of what I was saying. Judging from the defensive attitude of the rest of the post you dove headlong into that instead of seeing it objectively.
Oh, wait, I'm sorry. Seriously, that wasn't meant to be defensive at all, I'm just explaining how I see trance because I think my approach is counter-productive to what a lot of other people think trance should be like.

I didn't mean to come off as some defensive douchebag that can't take criticism. I hate people like that. I appreciate the feedback either way.

Oh and thanks kigzy <3