Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Default List of Stepmania editor keys / commands

I decided to do this tonight. I've tried my best to get them all. If I missed anything, just let me know; I'll be happy to add it without crediting you.

Navigation

Up/down arrows: Scrolls through the editor. Holding Tab will speed this up greatly. Holding Shift will select whatever you scroll through.
Page up/Page down: Scrolls through the editor one measure at a time. Holding Tab will speed this up greatly. Holding Shift will select whatever you scroll through.
Home/End: Scrolls to the first measure or the furthest arrow you've placed in the editor. Holding Tab will speed this up a little.

Spacebar: Places a marker. Pressing the spacebar a second time will create a selection between the marker and your current position (so if you press the spacebar at the top of measure 1 and then scroll to the top of measure 3 and press it again, it will select all of measure 1 and 2).

Placing arrows

1: Places a left arrow at your current position of the music. Holding Shift will place a mine.
2: Places a down arrow at your current position of the music. Holding Shift will place a mine.
3: Places an up arrow at your current position of the music. Holding Shift will place a mine.
4: Places a right arrow at your current position of the music. Holding Shift will place a mine.

Alt+1: Places an up arrow at your current position of the music. Don't ask me why. Holding Shift will still place a mine.
Alt+2: Places a right arrow at your current position of the music. Don't ask me why. Holding Shift will still place a mine.

Left/right arrows: Snaps to a different musical timing.

Ctrl+R: This goes into Record mode. In Record mode, you use the arrow keys, not the number keys, to put down arrows to the music. Record mode starts with a pre-roll of one measure before the area you have selected, and will only record into the selected area (if you have nothing selected, you cannot start Record mode). You cannot change your timing snap in Record mode.

Syncing

F7: Decreases the BPM by .02. Holding Alt will make a change of .01.
F8: Increases the BPM by .02. Holding Alt will make a change of .01.

F9: Decreases the amount of time the stepfile stops before moving on by .02 seconds. Holding Alt will make a change of 0.005.
F10: Increases the amount of time the stepfile stops before moving on by .02 seconds. Holding Alt will make a change of 0.005.

F11: Decreases the offset of beat 0 by .02 seconds. Holding Alt will make a change of .001.
F12: Increases the offset of beat 0 by .02 seconds. Holding Alt will make a change of .001.
With a 0 offset, the very first second of the music file will start right on measure 1. Decreasing the offset causes the music to start sooner than measure 1 (useful if you want to skip something in the beginning), and increasing the offset causes it to wait before playing the first second (it will play it further into the stepfile, like measure 2, etc).

Insert: Inserts one beat (one fourth of a measure) and moves all the arrows down. BPM changes and stops stay where they are.
Delete: Deletes one beat (one fourth of a measure) and moves all the arrows up. BPM changes and stops stay where they are.

Ctrl+Insert: Moves all BPM changes and stops down one beat (one fourth of a measure). Arrows stay where they are.
Ctrl+Delete: Moves all BPM changes and stops up one beat (one fourth of a measure). Arrows stay where they are.

P: This plays whatever you have selected of your stepfile in the editor. It begins one measure before the selection and ends one measure afterwards (if you have measure 14 selected, it will start from measure 13 and play through measure 15, unless you hit Esc to cancel). Pressing F8 while it's playing will toggle Autoplay.
Shift+P: This plays your stepfile in the editor starting one measure before your current position (if you are at the top of measure 14, it will start playing from the top of measure 13 all the way until the end, or until you hit Esc to cancel). Pressing F8 while it's playing will toggle Autoplay.
Ctrl+P: This plays your stepfile in the editor starting from the beginning to the end (unless you hit Esc to cancel), with a pre-roll of one measure (basically, it starts at Beat 0). Pressing F8 while it's playing will toggle Autoplay.

F4: Toggles the Assist Tick. This plays a clapping sound at the exact time an arrow meets the receptor arrow (absolute Marvelous timing), but be warned that the assist tick sound has .052 seconds of silence at its beginning.

Miscellaneous commands

[: This decreases the music Preview Start by .02 seconds.
]: This increases the music Preview Start by .02 seconds.
Shift+[: This decreases the music Preview Length by .02 seconds.
Shift+]: This increases the music Preview Length by .02 seconds.

M: Plays your preview of the music.

Ctrl+Up/down: Changes the zoom of the editor. Zooming in once (with Ctrl+down) shows dashed 8th note lines, zooming in twice shows dotted 16th note lines. You can also space the editor out by choosing a different XMOD in the Player Options menu.

F2: Reloads metrics and textures. Useful if you've changed them while in the editor and don't want to reload Stepmania entirely.
F5/F6: Switches back and forth between different difficulties.

Menus

Esc: Opens the Main Menu.

Enter: Opens the Area Menu.

F1: Displays a list of Keyboard Shortcuts.

B: Opens up the Background Change menu.

C: Opens the Course Display menu. It has one option that is seemingly always OFF (you probably have to have courses or something?), so don't ask me what it does.

Also, if you want a menu tutorial thingy, that's a whole other deal. This should be good for the people who don't really know how to use the Stepmania editor too well, and want to learn how to get some arrows down in the very least.

Last edited by Zybanthia; 03-14-2009 at 03:54 PM..
Zybanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu
Default Re: List of Stepmania editor keys / commands

Quote:
F1: Displays a list of Keyboard Shortcuts.
This.

EDIT: Also, always always set your preview music. It's very easy to overlook and at the same time very important for your audience.

EDIT 2: I bet that alt+1, alt+2, alt+3, alt+4 place arrows on the right set of four keys when editing a doubles chart. Confirm/deny?

EDIT 3: I'm sure it can't be 0.052 seconds of silence...that's the duration of the great window.

EDIT 4: Don't forget that you can still access player options and song options in the editor, to for instance change the speedmod to anything or to use a cmod or to adjust rate/assist tick.
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png

Last edited by Patashu; 03-14-2009 at 06:41 AM..
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
EDIT 3: I'm sure it can't be 0.052 seconds of silence...that's the duration of the great window.
This is exactly why I'm positive it is 0.052 seconds: if I make an offset of -0.052, I will hit notes Marvelous, and if I don't, I will hit them Great. Yes, I will Great rush nearly every single note in the song if I don't set the offset.

EDIT: I just double-checked this, and before the first peak of audio you actually will hear (the clap itself), there is 0.052 seconds.

EDIT: WOW, haha. I've never actually finished a level without the offset. First real game in like weeks so even the one on the right is bad.

Last edited by Zybanthia; 03-14-2009 at 04:27 PM..
Old 03-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

That's kind of worrying, since every file I've ever made I've synced with assist tick on 0.3x and that would put the notes outside the ridiculous window and most of the way out of the marvelous window.
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
Old 03-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Yeah, I always thought it was pretty stupid. What surprises me is that I never see anybody complain about files being out of sync... and maybe this is just because everyone uses a global offset they like, and don't bother about complaining? I dunno.

The only reason I haven't changed my own assist tick sound file is because EVERYONE syncs this way. I even sync this way. And if you changed your sound file and then synced to that, it would sound off (and perhaps even feel off?) by 0.052 seconds to EVERYONE else. And then you'd just get a whole bunch of nasty reviews.

I mean, I guess the bottom line is sync with the normal assist tick, but if you feel it's off, don't think you suck because of that, it's not just you.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

0.052*0.3 seconds. Remember, you set offset on 0.3x rate :P

EDIT: Btw, I just checked in doubles since I had stepmania open anyway. Alt+(number key) shifts you right half of the number of columns then adds a note. Thus, in doubles mode alt+1, 2, 3, 4 is like 1, 2, 3, 4 but for the right pad and alt+1,2,3 in solo hits the right hand.

Last edited by Patashu; 03-14-2009 at 08:07 PM..
Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

I cut out the silence of my assist tick =x
Old 03-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

Is it impossible that sm editor has already considered the silence of handclap ogg for assist tick?
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimerax View Post
Is it impossible that sm editor has already considered the silence of handclap ogg for assist tick?
holy crap, mind blown
Old 03-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #10
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimerax View Post
Not if I am the only person on the planet who scores as shown by the screenshots above when the silence is not accounted for. If so, then no, it's not impossible.

But, as 0.052 seconds is the difference between a Marvelous and a Great and I score consistent Marvelous with the offset and consistent Great without, I think it's an indicator that the editor does not do this.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #11
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybanthia View Post
Not if I am the only person on the planet who scores as shown by the screenshots above when the silence is not accounted for. If so, then no, it's not impossible.

But, as 0.052 seconds is the difference between a Marvelous and a Great and I score consistent Marvelous with the offset and consistent Great without, I think it's an indicator that the editor does not do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
holy crap, mind blown

ps you arent the only one
Old 03-15-2009, 03:57 AM   #12
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Haha, that's right, because you changed your assist tick file.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #13
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

btw my answer is yes.

handclap/tick sound file of DDReam has under 1ms silence in the beginning iirc so it would be fine. handclap sounds kinda dull compared to tick though.
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:56 AM   #14
who_cares973
FFR Player

the reason i was worse with assist tick on was because of the silence

i got rid of the silence in the beginning and now im improving