Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 12-3-2018, 01:16 PM   #81
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie
Default Re: Am I weird for eating a mostly carnivorous diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
I really do agree with what most vegans say about the practice in saving humans and animals - but I think it's really hard to make such a drastic change in a lifestyle. After all...this isn't like quitting cigarettes. Its a comolete 180 in lifestyle.
either way I'm fucked because my car has leather seats.
Personally I didn't really find it that hard to change. A lot of recipes you can make vegetarian by just simply not adding whatever meat element.

I think going full vegan would be tougher but still not as tough as it first appears. I remember back 10 years ago when my brother was a vegetarian, things like veggie burgers were super hit-or-miss and also extremely expensive (I'm talking like $12 for a box of 4 burgers that might taste good or might just dissolve to mush). Nowadays you can find stuff like that everywhere, and it actually tastes decent and is also significantly coming down in cost all the time

I'm also a strong believer that you don't have to go full-on vegan to make a difference. Just cutting down the amount you consume by eating vegetarian once or twice a week, can still make a difference over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2018, 01:16 PM   #82
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Homemade almond milk >>>>> cows or goats milk

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2018, 02:08 PM   #83
Elena-
FFR Player

almond milk is the best

Elena- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2018, 04:19 PM   #84
flashflash account
FFR Player

The biggest thing you miss out on with vegetarian diets is a couple nonessential proteins that help build muscle
So if you don't wanna get swole be a vegan, the reason vegans are healthier than the rest of the population has little to do with what's in their diet and more to do with the fact that they're actually dieting so props for that vegans

Personally I'm fortunate to be able to eat pretty much whatever I want without having to worry, but I did recently discover I'm lactose sensitive and haven't drank milk in a year. Don't miss it tbh, I realized it was the source of a nasty aftertaste I would occasionally get that I called "the chicken taste"

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2018, 04:22 PM   #85
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Almond milk good yes
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2018, 04:38 PM   #86
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflash account View Post
The biggest thing you miss out on with vegetarian diets is a couple nonessential proteins that help build muscle
So if you don't wanna get swole be a vegan, the reason vegans are healthier than the rest of the population has little to do with what's in their diet and more to do with the fact that they're actually dieting so props for that vegans
This is completely false.

Your protein source doesn’t matter - Animal protein is no better than plant proteins (vise versa). The only factor you have to be aware of is the absorption rate. Animal protein just happens to be higher.
The problem with protein today is that there is a huge misconception that a person needs a high amount of protein to build muscle in early stages - most people who lift weights or try to build muscle will not even break the intermediate level. A lot of people actually get more than enough protein without even realizing it.
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 12-3-2018 at 04:43 PM..
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2018, 04:45 PM   #87
flashflash account
FFR Player

when I was dumb I wanted to "prove vegans wrong" or something so I did a bit of research and I definitely remember a few proteins being completely absent from vegans. Not ones that were necessary by any stretch. I also remember deer meat being a good thing to eat

-----

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
Old 12-3-2018, 04:50 PM   #88
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Clogged arteries and heart disease is associated with the consumption of meat. There really is anything “good” about it except for maybe for the saturated fats that come with the meat (which happens to be a macronutrient essential for building muscle)
But truth be told, you don’t need meat to accomplish that nor to live a healthy lifestyle.

Meat is just good. And if I lose 10 years of my life for eating it, I think I’ll be okay with that.
AND watch anime.
Old 12-3-2018, 10:40 PM   #89
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflash account View Post
when I was dumb I wanted to "prove vegans wrong" or something so I did a bit of research and I definitely remember a few proteins being completely absent from vegans. Not ones that were necessary by any stretch. I also remember deer meat being a good thing to eat
You have to be more careful getting complete proteins on a vegetarian diet. Soy and quinoa contain all 9 essential aminos, but lots of other vegetable sources (like rice) are missing some. It's important to know what pairings work to create complete proteins. This allows you to do stuff like mix rice with lentils or beans so that you get all necessary aminos.

Plant based diets are also healthy as hell and processed meats are fuckin bad for you.

I mostly just eat chicken and fish occasionally and eat the hell out of a bunch of eggs. Maybe one day I'll learn to cut eating out entirely so I quit eating so much dairy from all the butter in everything.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2018, 10:54 PM   #90
qrrbrbirbel
FFR Veteran

https://youtu.be/bK4pEFmDniE
Old 12-3-2018, 10:58 PM   #91
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

I have been doing better about eating mostly vegetarian since getting a rice cooker. It's easy to make rice, lentils, and quinoa, so I always have a good base to work with. I can start it up, go work out, and have food ready when I come back. I can cook lots of eggs, tofu, and beans to go alongside it without much effort. Rice cookers are really amazing.

Also hummus is a brilliant food.

I think in honor of queenashy we should make this thread about cool life strategies to eat less meat, and in particular less ruminants like beef and dairy that destroy the h*ck out of the environment.

Old 12-3-2018, 11:00 PM   #92
flashflash account
FFR Player

We should regress back to a hunter/gatherer society with small clans formed of a few families together
All world problems would be solved

-----

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by flashflash account; 12-3-2018 at 11:00 PM..
Old 12-3-2018, 11:15 PM   #93
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
I think in honor of queenashy we should make this thread about cool life strategies to eat less meat, and in particular less ruminants like beef and dairy that destroy the h*ck out of the environment.
I was thinking about this thread 4 hours ago and decided now is the time I will start being more conscientious about this, probably

whats the impact of fish?
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2018, 11:20 PM   #94
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Chickens are cute, but chickens are dumb. Chickens are innocent, but we kill for our pleasure.

Poor chickens....

But when you fry/bake em....damn.

Life is so hard.
AND watch anime.
Old 12-3-2018, 11:28 PM   #95
Marik von B
FFR Player

It's technically possible to get all your necessary protein from plant matter, but you have to be selective and careful. Protein is also only a small part of why it's good to eat meat. Meat contains an assortment of other nutrients and compounds in a form that is far more absorbable to the body than plant matter.

The bio-industry does raise and slaughter animals quickly and poorly, meaning that nutrients are less accumulated in the meat that you see on store-shelves. But if you were to examine a steak made from an older free-roaming animal, it'll contain a significant amount of useful nutrients like creatine that you can't find in plants.

Statistics on this subject are meaningless. You can't compare the general population with a small group of people who are very selective about what they're eating, and expect the latter to not be healthier. Talk to any statistician and even they will admit that their job is mostly deception

Last edited by Marik von B; 12-3-2018 at 11:43 PM..
Marik von B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2018, 11:38 PM   #96
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

I'm eating mostly vegetarian now with chicken and fish like 3 times a week and beef like twice a month. I try not to eat pork anymore. I don't think I'll ever be able to go vegan because I love eggs and cheese too much
Old 12-3-2018, 11:45 PM   #97
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik von B View Post
The bio-industry does raise and slaughter animals quickly and poorly, meaning that nutrients are less accumulated in the meat that you see on store-shelves. But if you were to examine a steak made from an older free-roaming animal, it'll contain a significant amount of useful nutrients like creatine that you can't find in plants.
The amount of creatine in meat is so insignificant that you would have to consume lbs of it just to get the benefits.
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 12-3-2018 at 11:45 PM..
Old 12-3-2018, 11:49 PM   #98
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
I was thinking about this thread 4 hours ago and decided now is the time I will start being more conscientious about this, probably

whats the impact of fish?
fish stocks are plummeting globally and large parts of the pelagic food web will be facing extinction on a 30-100 year time scale. if everyone had fish only once every two weeks or so fish stocks may be able to replenish, but this isn't certain because they face a lot more stressors than just overfishing. nutrient runoffs from agriculture and subsequent algal blooms, ocean circulation changes, and surface temperature changes are compounding stressors that are negatively affecting fish stock as well. note that the agricultural / land use changes also come from poor farming practices and making shitloads of feed stock to make more chicken, pork, and beef (mostly beef).

eat all the jellyfish you want and get used to it because the ocean's going to be full of them and little else in fifty years.

if you eat shellfish you're insane. doubly so if they're from the gulf of mexico.

Old 12-4-2018, 12:03 AM   #99
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik von B View Post
It's technically possible to get all your necessary protein from plant matter, but you have to be selective and careful. Protein is also only a small part of why it's good to eat meat. Meat contains an assortment of other nutrients and compounds in a form that is far more absorbable to the body than plant matter.

Statistics on this subject are meaningless. You can't compare the general population with a small group of people who are very selective about what they're eating, and expect the latter to not be healthier. Talk to any statistician and even they will admit that their job is mostly deception
The Mediterranean Diet is named such because it is what lots of people in the Mediterranean region have just been naturally eating. It is heavily plant based with limited meat consumption. Granted, you will also need to control for other confounding factors like location, climate, societal norms, etc..., but would you imagine that statisticians literally get paid to look for correlated error!?

"Statistics on the subject are meaningless" is something you'd hear from an antivaxxer not a nutritionist tbh!!!

Old 12-4-2018, 12:20 AM   #100
Marik von B
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
but would you imagine that statisticians literally get paid to look for correlated error!?

"Statistics on the subject are meaningless" is something you'd hear from an antivaxxer not a nutritionist tbh!!!
Antivaxxers employ deceptive statistical methods themselves. When working within hard sciences, statisticians do some great work. Outside of hard sciences, the job of a statistician is manipulation for political or capital gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
The amount of creatine in meat is so insignificant that you would have to consume lbs of it just to get the benefits.
In addition to absorbing creatine found in the meat, your body also synthesizes creatine from the amino-acids that are in meat. But the mention of creatine was just an example.

Last edited by Marik von B; 12-4-2018 at 12:33 AM..
Marik von B is offline   Reply With Quote