Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #21
Breakdown16
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Deep Philosophical Question #1: Would you kill him?

I was almost about to say "Sacrifice one for a hundred" until I read the above three posts. Reconsidering, trying to help would probably land me in a mountain of trouble, so maybe it would be in my best interest to do nothing.

Made by arrekusuof93 at Ye Olde Photoshop Shoppe
Who remembers this thread? Brings back great memories XD
Breakdown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #22
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I would shoot him with a tranq.

Then collect the reward likely offered for catching the dude.

Maximal utility for me.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #23
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54

Considering we live in a world where political correctness is on a rampage and anyone can sue for anything, I would leave the situation alone. In some way, I could politically cause someone else pain in this or save the life of a depressed person who didn't want to be saved. So, in fairness to those ever increasing circumstantial occurrences, I would leave the situation alone and, to my dismay, witness the death of all those people.

funmonkey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #24
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

If he were clearly intending to maliciously bring about the deaths of 100 people (as in the hastily edited second example) you have a totally different kind of situation than someone accidentally through ignorance or folly allowing the deaths of 100 people.

IE. In the crazy person with the bomb example, you aren't weighing the lives of 1 innocent against 100 innocents, but 1 clearly guilty person against 100 innocents.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #25
GG_Guru
Let em' do what they want
FFR Veteran

I would let him live, until his death, then allow him to suffer in hell for eternity.

But thats just me of course.

Edit: Sike just playing I'd definitely kill him.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #26
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

I get the impression that some of the people who would kill the man are doing so because they want to kill someone, not because they want to save lives.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #27
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

I would want to kill the innocent person, but I seriously doubt I could. I have no idea how I would handle a situation like that. I'm thinking I would hand my gun to the nearest person and have them shoot, unless for some reason I brought up the will to kill him.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #28
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
If he were clearly intending to maliciously bring about the deaths of 100 people (as in the hastily edited second example) you have a totally different kind of situation than someone accidentally through ignorance or folly allowing the deaths of 100 people.

IE. In the crazy person with the bomb example, you aren't weighing the lives of 1 innocent against 100 innocents, but 1 clearly guilty person against 100 innocents.
oh. My answer was in reference to the first situation.

In the bomb situation, I would like this question answered. Why can I not just shoot the man wearing the bomb? He cannot kill the people if he is dead and unable to trigger the bomb. And what is to say that killing the innocent person will ACTUALLY stop him? He could very easily turn around and trigger the bomb anyways. Killing him would, in theory, eliminate that as a possibility.

funmonkey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #29
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

i'd stand back and laugh
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #30
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

It really depends. I mean, if someone I knew was in the 100 people, I'd stop it (depending on who it was, lol). But, I have no heart, so I would probably let it happen. Or maybe kill the guy just for the sake of killing someone. ut, if it affected me in any way, I would stop it from happening. You get that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #31
arrekusuof93
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to arrekusuof93 Send a message via MSN to arrekusuof93 Send a message via Yahoo to arrekusuof93

My first concern is my own survival and well-being. If I shoot the man and subsequently save 100 people, then I could still be imprisoned. It's not clear whether or not I would be killed by the resulting meltdown if I don't shoot him. If I won't be killed then the lives of 100 strangers are not worth my going to prison. This is all assuming the man is completely ignorant (thereby innocent) of what he is about to do. If a man was able to be proven guilty of intentionally trying to kill hundreds, then I would shoot him.
arrekusuof93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #32
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

How would YOU feel if someone shot you because you were going to make a fatal mistake? Wouldn't you rather they, as other people have said, tranq you or beat you up?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #33
FuzenAkuma
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FuzenAkuma Send a message via MSN to FuzenAkuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmonkey54 View Post
oh. My answer was in reference to the first situation.

In the bomb situation, I would like this question answered. Why can I not just shoot the man wearing the bomb? He cannot kill the people if he is dead and unable to trigger the bomb. And what is to say that killing the innocent person will ACTUALLY stop him? He could very easily turn around and trigger the bomb anyways. Killing him would, in theory, eliminate that as a possibility.
I think we should assume in this case that the bomb is a time bomb that can ONLY be stopped by the man with it, and it has around 15 seconds remaining. Since it's a hypothetical situation, we should say that the ONLY way the bomb can be stopped will be for the man to say a secret code that ONLY he knows, and the ONLY way he will do it is if you shoot an innocent person. This way, if you kill the man with the bomb, the bomb will still go off, killing the 100 people.

Whether he goes against his word or not... I guess that's for you to decide, unless somethingillremember says he won't.

Anyway, with my above assumptions including the assumptions that he won't go back on his word and I can choose who to kill, I would simply kill the oldest -looking person I could find in the 10 seconds. Sure, it may be wrong to kill the elderly, but they've already lived their lives, while younger folk may have many more years to go.
FuzenAkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #34
OrganisM
FFR Player

These situations that people come up with are typically so one dimensional there's no way to really argue them because the circumstances aren't a complete set and there's too much guesswork involved as to what happened/would happen.

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #35
Tr44nc33
FFR Player

Thinking of the Overpopulation problem, i would let the 100 people die.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #36
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
How would YOU feel if someone shot you because you were going to make a fatal mistake? Wouldn't you rather they, as other people have said, tranq you or beat you up?

You wouldn't feel anything, lol. You'd be dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #37
Necros140606
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Necros140606 Send a message via MSN to Necros140606

after the universe will shrink none of this will make any sense. this situation would probably feel as an excuse to kill someone and try out what it feels like. also, the kill1 save100 is the general guideline for almost any government on earth. it's generally the best thing to do, even though i'd probably be more concerned about the value of the one dude against the 100 dudes. but any judgement is plain relative and subjective, hence why i would fall into nonsense.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #38
Temote
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Temote

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingillremember View Post
*SECOND EDIT*
Gah! I can't get people to understand this! Okay, lets change up the story. There is a crazy guy. You have a gun. Crazy guy (who you cannot kill at the moment) will kill 100 people (he has a bomb) unless you kill some innocent person within the next ten seconds. Got it?
Well, in this situation, I probably wouldn't bother. Someone who is 'crazy' is likely to still kill the 100 even if you kill the 1 innocent person, so there really isn't much point.

Also, I think it's hilarious that you have to keep trying to change your question because "We don't understand". Everyone understood the question perfectly well, but it was presented in a way that left multiple answers, not just the black and white answers you wanted.
Temote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #39
Svaz
quite clever

If he's too negligent to utilize basic safety information for his job (if I know it, why doesn't he? how the hell did he get this job?), how innocent is he then? If he's sneaking his way into jobs better done by someone else (me), at the cost of other people's well being (a nuclear powerplant being destroyed will affect more than the 100 people it kills rofl, ohi fallout) I feel no pity for him. I'm sure I can find some things that were overlooked during his hire.

This post used the term 'ignorant' in reference to this fellow, and I agree with this assessment. He's too ignorant, in fact, to be considered a viable candidate for his job. I bet his house isn't even properly equipped to protect himself!

In short, I feel that a stupid person handling dangerous things is just as bad as someone with ill intent handling them.

In the second edit, I would absolve myself from the situation, or try to stop this criminal by other means; I'm the goddamn Batman.
Svaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #40
tinefico
FFR Player

So... the guy don't know that he will kill 100 persons. So if you kill him it's like killing for nothing. But, if you don't kill him, 100 persons will die.
Huh O.o

Click HERE
tinefico is offline   Reply With Quote