Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-5-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
dragon890x
☆Ξ Phantasy Star Legend Ξ☆
FFR Veteran

Default IIDX Controller Advice

Here I go again, spending more money on a hobby than I probably should.

I want to start playing IIDX, and like many other players, I can't afford an arcade nor am I willing to shell out tons of money at the arcade (at least on a regular basis). I've played IIDX emulators using the keyboard, and it's alright. But, I really don't want to continue playing this way. I want improve using my pinky to spin a disk rather than pounding my thumb on the space bar, playing the game as it was designed for.

As for console gaming, I want to avoid anything to do with it. I don't own a TV to use, and would rather have the scalability of my computer. I've played IIDX on a PS2 before, and I enjoyed it. The main concern is my history with consoles, they really don't last that long in my possession.

The site I've been looking at is Bemaniasc-DJDAO.
If you know of any better websites, feel free to list them.

When it comes to model, I've been looking at the Real Edition Single (RES). I'm not sure if this is a good selection, but they claim it to be a replica of the arcade controllers. Have any of you used one of these, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

As for the buttons, DJDAO vs Sanwa, the price range seems like a big deal. Are Sanwa buttons really worth $88 more?

I'm really concerned with the switches. I've heard that Omron last longer than Honeywell. When it comes to pressure (Xg), which would you recommend for the long run? I know certain pressures can be more beginner friendly, but this controller is going to devour my wallet. I'd rather have something that is useful for harder gameplay. If at all possible, could someone explain which pressures are good for what, or just mention which they've enjoyed the most?

I'm sure lights and background/text colors don't matter too much, but it would be interesting to hear if people have a certain preference for these. For example, black text fading away and becoming hard to read on a white background, or certain colored lights that could make it harder to play the game.

Lastly, the orientation of the controller comes in P1 and P2, switching the side that the DJ disk is on. Should I just stick with P1, or is there a special reason why I would consider P2?

I understand that I'm asking for a lot when it comes to advice, and I really appreciate anything you guys have to say. I'd feel too uncomfortable buying something that could potentially cost over $500 without knowing what other people think. I took some time Google searching questions related to mine, and didn't come up with much that would satisfy me.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

[ Link ]

Last edited by dragon890x; 05-5-2013 at 11:56 AM..
dragon890x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Emanresu13
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: IIDX Controller Advice

i've used RES they are fine, i dunno the specs on the ones i used though

do P2 if you wanna do P2 otherwise it doesn't matter

if you know something will last longer, go with that, durability is important

sorry i can't give top tier advice, i just have home controller and ps2 console versions, or sometimes i play an actual arcade

also sorry this is over a month late wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
^

Last edited by Emanresu13; 06-12-2013 at 11:40 PM..
Emanresu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

I have a RES and I've also had an FP7 in the past before that. The FP7 I got started to have major issues with the turntable randomly registering just from vibrations of hitting the keys, but that was after three years or more of abuse.

The RES I have had for over four years and it's still in peak condition. The only major issue I have with it is the metal ring around the turntable is very sharp and has sliced my pinky a few times. They've since redesigned it so I have no idea if this is still an issue anymore, but if it plays just as well as the one I have it's definitely worth it IMO. You could easily file down the metal part if it is still sharp so it's not that big of a deal.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
dragon890x
☆Ξ Phantasy Star Legend Ξ☆
FFR Veteran

Woah, I've given up on this thread a long time ago. Thanks for the replies, I really do appreciate your posts.

Also, Shenjoku, that was some solid advice. I'll start thinking more seriously about getting an RES now.

[ Link ]
dragon890x is offline   Reply With Quote