Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #21
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright
Default Re: Post apocalyptic event, would you survive?

I am guessing that while most people are putting qualifiers to the environment, not sure what post-apocalyptic terrain you are meaning.
I am guessing you are saying that whatever the environment is, it is a survivable. It makes me think of a wilderness that you are putting us in. Maybe a bit closer to being in Gary Paulson's "Hatchet"? (That is still 6th grade required reading in CA, I think.)

Physically, I would be fine. Mentally, I am good too.

With other people, I would do well, as I adapt easily. Though, I believe my survivor skills are NOT up to par for a solo run. I can learn all that fast, but would need to have someone to learn it from. So, while I would be the 'noob' of the party, I would not be that way for long, as I am good at improving all skills that I already have.

I'm not the fastest, or the slowest; strongest or weakest. I am one of the smarter ones though, when it comes to getting things to work, and I apply myself well. (McGyver is almost and unofficial middle name.) I'm the support character; horrible alone, but dang, you sure want me on your team.

Last edited by Cenright; 01-19-2011 at 01:12 AM..
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #22
virus003
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to virus003

I would probably live it through a while, but my physical features will get in the way, I'm a fatty, but I can still cover good ground. The only health related issue that has run in my family is the bursting of the appendix. I have good vision though, and a decent immune system. Low metabolism though, but that really doesn't have to do with much if you're trying to actually survive. I'm only allergic to sulfur drugs( possibly )

My only problem would be determination, I'd probably be like "**** it" and wait for my slow death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XUioX View Post
too hard and too long.. the rest of it was easy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundb0x View Post
i still have photos of my dad dickfeeding me when i was like 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
stop back seat modding its annoying
virus003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #23
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX

Quote:
If the baby survived, I'm not sure how long he/she would live though in those kinds of conditions. Probably wouldn't live much longer after birth.
In that case, the best way to survive would be to make the child a priority as long as you can live. Because unlike you, he would have been raised in that environment since its birth, so it would be way easier for him to survive, since the final and only purpose you have in living is hoping you'll help the human race to reconstruct. If you fail in these conditions, that would mean giving birth isn't possible in any way and, thus, you are either too weak or the cirumstances too harsh to effectively rebuild a human population.

I'm pretty sure most of us would suicide when confronted to that context because we couldn't handle everything that happened : all of your friend and family died, all of your supplies disappeared, every private property have been destroyed, your life will be radically different and you need to have a steel-mind if you want to survive. Otherwise your depression will disgusts you from any way to survive and you'll end up by dying since it would be for you a way to stop sufferings etc.

Well, actually, everything depends from how much people survived. You need to be enough to create a community with a leader so you can be effective and begin to retrieve a floor state of confort and food according to the needs of everyone. All you need is to first retrieve the organization you were used to, you could thereby find your landmarks and settle to that second way of life.
But you'll first of all need to mourn everything you lost, because you couldn't move forward if you're stuck in the past.

It's interesting enough to see how we would act, since in these extreme conditions, your personnal thoughts and feelings doesn't worth anything as long as you and your group etablished satisfying standards. You basically have to proceed like you forgot your thoughts and intelligence to focus on what you have to do, in a sense, that means forgotting your human nature. Obviously, being supportive and hopeful are a good quality, but there are other ideas that would be a quality in these circumstances and that are considered as faulty or contemptible in our today's society. Like, eating any animals that you have around you when it's necessary : eating a deceased dog would be considered opprobrious (or pork, if you're muslim), but in this situation, it would save your life. Cannibalism would be a solution, but I don't think it would be any help because having to eat a person from your community is a sign the situation is getting hopeless.

(Also, no, I don't encourage any form of cannibalism and I wouldn't eat my friend if he died and I had no other supply available, I grant way too much on moral principle to do such a thing.)

It's basically rebuilding the History with incoherent knowledge compared to the situation our ancestors lived in, except you aren't accustomed in any way to what would happen. For the first time, human being would start his life from nothing, using just what earth gave him and his acquaintance (aka without the tool the human created).

Last edited by ScylaX; 01-19-2011 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: Adding arguments
ScylaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #24
Koolmaster242
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Koolmaster242 Send a message via MSN to Koolmaster242 Send a message via Skype™ to Koolmaster242

I would die in 2 seconds, I can't survive without another human by my side, I go crazy
The end.
Matt dies in 2 seconds
Koolmaster242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #25
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Come on am I the only one to make theoric and constructed posts instead of talking about my personnal case ?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #26
ichliebekase
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm reading your above post now ScylaX and I will be responding to it in a second XD

EDIT: Okay, I'll mainly reply to the baby part, because you brought up a very good point that I didn't think of. I don't know what my baby is at the moment, but if it's a boy, it would obviously be more beneficial because if we were to attempt to rebuild a community, obviously we need to reproduce more children. Yes, I know that is entirely disgusting to have sex with your child. But you have to think of the circumstance. Would you rather have the entire human race pretty much end because you thought having sex with your child was gross? It's the same thing with the cannibalism that you mentioned. It may be immoral to you now, but what if it was a life or death situation for yourself? You'd rather stick to your morales than survive another week or so? If the world was pretty much dead and you had deceased friends by you and you were on the verge of dying, your morales are likely to change in this kind of situation.
Garden Party - Dance, level 38

Last edited by ichliebekase; 01-19-2011 at 01:35 PM..
ichliebekase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #27
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
but if it's a boy, it would obviously be more beneficial because if we were to attempt to rebuild a community, obviously we need to reproduce more children. Yes, I know that is entirely disgusting to have sex with your child
Uuhuhuhuhuhuuu you know that if you really got to get a child from your own child, you will give birth to a genetically defective and malformed baby, right ?
(It's one of the argument that explains why it's forbidden)

Actually the problem of incest is really big in a situation of apocalypse since you need to be enough people to build a future community that would count enough people so you're sure there will not be any problem of that kind in the following generations. Otherwise, it's like dooming that project by yourself so...

Last edited by ScylaX; 01-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: just added the "people", don't mind it
ScylaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #28
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

at some point in time, in your family, there has been incest.

History would no doubt repeat itself.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #29
Koolmaster242
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Koolmaster242 Send a message via MSN to Koolmaster242 Send a message via Skype™ to Koolmaster242

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
at some point in time, in your family, there has been incest.

History would no doubt repeat itself.
If that does happen, whats the point in living? Everyone is the same, basicly if that happens, noone is different, all can be irish tall with weak traits, then the world shall blow up and die, phew
Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #30
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

cannibalism is not only immoral but its horrible for your body and could lead to some crazy stuff. i remember watching a video that discussed the minimum amount of people you would need to have in order to repopulate for more than a handful of generations. iirc it was something like 250 people at least
Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #31
Koolmaster242
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
cannibalism is not only immoral but its horrible for your body and could lead to some crazy stuff. i remember watching a video that discussed the minimum amount of people you would need to have in order to repopulate for more than a handful of generations. iirc it was something like 250 people at least
Cannibalism is last reasort, but also
Nerds shall finally get laid :3
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #32
trillobyite
FFR Player

I'm relatively healthy, and I have a huge propensity to survive, so I would try anything and everything I can to do so. But I am not ruthless. If it had to come down to cannibalism I would probably be the one eaten because I dont have the spirit to subjugate the people around me, take command, or otherwise hurt anyone. If I somehow managed to survive through it all, I think the emotional trauma would kill me.

Read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy for the most brutal take on post-apocalyptic fiction I've ever seen.
Every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lives here on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.
http://obs.nineplanets.org/psc/pbd.html
trillobyite is offline   Reply With Quote