Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
xNiX
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to xNiX
Default Re: The Secrets to FFR. Tips for Beginners/Experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love you View Post
That is extremely great to hear from you. The sentence that I have highlighted in bold is exactly what I try to teach in the advanced guide but in a nutshell. And of course, tips on how you go about doing that. In your case, you are already doing that which tells me that you no longer need that guide.

I hope you get to where you what to be in skill someday :')
If you ever finish that advanced guide, is it possible I could take a look at it?
xNiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
Proud Indian 7-11 Owner
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Great start for a guide! I'm surprised though that the guide hardly ever addresses the physical aspects of gameplay, such as finger exertion on keyboard. Actually, one often improves by incrementally making small physical and mental adjustments.
I was thinking about adding that. But I already spent around 5 hours and got pretty restless lol. I'll try adding it into the miscellaneous part.

Note: If some of you guys think you can do better or submit a tip in general I'll be happy to make a little section for community tips. I just wanted this to be a real guide where you could actually learn something about the game (you lose) that other players have used to become the skill level they are today. I wanted to make this guide a little less "obvious".

6th FFR Official Tournament Division 3 6th Place

Silly/Sax's Summer Sensation Division 4 2nd Place

Dragon Fury's Custom Tourney 8 Division 5B 4th Place

Just Your Amatuer Simfilier

Last edited by 21992; 03-25-2013 at 10:32 AM..
21992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames

Most of what you're saying in that guide is still pretty obvious though. I could suggest a few little tips with a few specific patterns. For example, staircases. I always regard them as 212 343 "triplets", because if I were to read them like 1234, the part after that becomes 3212 and so on. If the staircase starts on 1, then it won't be on 1 again after two beats but after 1.5 beat. Things like that could be mentioned for a complete guide.

Just my two cents on it, though.

948 AAAs | 1461 FCs | 549 TPs | 7 FMO AAAs
Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
PaperclipGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #24
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21992
2. Increasing your reading capabilities. A higher speed mod is essential for eliminating those early goods. Running at a speed mod above 2 or 2.1 should eliminate accidental early goods. In my experience running at 2.15 as my current speed mod and 2.225 as what I used to run at, the late good window doesn't seem to change much. So make sure you are comfortable with your higher speed mod. For those who want to go as high as 2.225+ . Try utilizing the offset feature in the game. This feature delays/ reverse delays (I couldn't really come up with any other word) the game music. Use this to your advantage by setting the offset to 1 (maybe 2) and with human delay your late reaction will balance out with the music being ahead of the arrows.
Completely subjective. 2x+ is like blisteringly fast for me and I can't even think about reading it accurately.
EDIT: I play at 1.75x
EDIT2: neat thread, it's a good hub of sorts for game info.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 03-25-2013 at 01:05 PM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Entirely agree. To me, high speed mods kill. I actually reverted back to 1.75x. I don't know if 21992 is aware of improving PA on FFR by looking closer towards the arrow receptors and consequently lowering your speed mod. It's not the same story for Stepmania though.

As he adds more tips to his guide, surely he'll need to revise existing tips.

edit: Hakulyte below makes some very good points on the effect of speedmods in general

Last edited by bmah; 03-25-2013 at 02:45 PM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #26
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

High speedmod is good to improve control.
Mid speedmod is good for scoring.
Low speedmod is good to build consistency.

If you can build consistency with high speedmod don't use low speedmod.
If you're doing amazing but get random goods try to lower speedmod.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
Raining Nails
Oh no! It's Raining Nails
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Entirely agree. To me, high speed mods kill. I actually reverted back to 1.75x. I don't know if 21992 is aware of improving PA on FFR by looking closer towards the arrow receptors and consequently lowering your speed mod. It's not the same story for Stepmania though.

As he adds more tips to his guide, surely he'll need to revise existing tips.

edit: Hakulyte below makes some very good points on the effect of speedmods in general
For awhile I tried to adjust up to 1.85x and even 2x - this did not help me much and in fact I was getting consistently worse scores for awhile. Then when I returned back to 1.75x it took me a few days to "adjust back to normal".

My conclusion was that (at least for me) 1.75x is ideal and increasing that speed is not what was going to make me better. Instead, what helped me was to practice focusing on a lower point in the screen so I could read all the arrows at once more easily, but not too far from the receptors. That's when things started slowly getting better.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #28
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Completely subjective. 2x+ is like blisteringly fast for me and I can't even think about reading it accurately.
This, also keep in mind how small the FFR gameplay space is. It's pretty tight. 1.75x is decently fast for me but it allows me to read patterns more efficiently than any other speedmod.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
Proud Indian 7-11 Owner
FFR Veteran

Hey guys I really would like to expand on this guide. If you would like to suggest some tips I created a separate section, but please tell me in your post if you would like to be cited/quoted or be an addition to the guide. I probably won't change my guide to match the community tips as the guide is based fully on my opinions, but I will change things if I agree with your idea (which I probably will anyway). I created this post because player opinions on how to get better are scattered among the forums. Might as well squeeze it into one helpful guide.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #30
MracY
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

There was another guide that was recently posted which I skimmed through, and that one looked a lot more useful to new players. Try getting some content from that one if you are making an official guide. Right now I do not see much useful content that people wouldn't be able to find out instantly themselves.

In my opinion, good contributions to the ffr community would be an eloquent analysis of the specifics of hand positioning in spread and efficient finger muscle usage, or an in-depth training regiment to increase finger speed. You can also try analysing what the human brain does specifically when playing this game, and try to come up with good non-ffr activities that would increase your overall skill-level by correlation.

It would have been preferable if you had good new content before you posted this topic. I do not think that what you posted is in-depth enough to be considered to be of much help to intermediate players.

I happened to glance over you saying you spent 5 hours on this guide. I would have spent at least 50 hours before posting something like this. Even then I would carefully state that it is incomplete and is to be elaborated on. I think you would be taken more seriously and that you would receive more and better tips from other players if you had done that.

Finally, if you want to have a good guide be made for this community, it would be prudent to collaborate with some other people, and form a group dedicated to truly map out the secrets to FFR. I do like the sentiment of you making this guide, so please try to make it as good as possible.
MracY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #31
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MracY View Post
In my opinion, good contributions to the ffr community would be an eloquent analysis of the specifics of hand positioning in spread and efficient finger muscle usage, or an in-depth training regiment to increase finger speed. You can also try analysing what the human brain does specifically when playing this game, and try to come up with good non-ffr activities that would increase your overall skill-level by correlation.
The best way to train finger muscles and increase overall skill-level for FFR is to play FFR.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #32
stavie33
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I never feel a swing pattern when hitting a staircase and I highly recommend not doing that. If you have a 16th staircase there should be no swing. Am I missing something? We all know what swing is right? (coming from a jazz drummer here)
You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
Turning me round (Oh Oh)
Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)
stavie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #33
MracY
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
The best way to train finger muscles and increase overall skill-level for FFR is to play FFR.
The best top athletes do a wide variety of training for the specific muscles they use, and the specific actions they perform. They isolate the various elements of their game, and master them separately. They do not stupidly keep on doing the activity they want to get better in.
MracY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #34
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Quote:
The best top athletes do a wide variety of training for the specific muscles they use, and the specific actions they perform. They isolate the various elements of their game, and master them separately. They do not stupidly keep on doing the activity they want to get better in.
any top athlete who is smart would know to base their training on engaging in their sport as directly as possible. What your saying works as well, but it should be thought of as more of a secondary thing to add on to the base in my opinion. Always compound first and then isolate areas that are weak.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #35
Proud Indian 7-11 Owner
FFR Veteran

Quote:
There was another guide that was recently posted which I skimmed through, and that one looked a lot more useful to new players. Try getting some content from that one if you are making an official guide. Right now I do not see much useful content that people wouldn't be able to find out instantly themselves.

It would have been preferable if you had good new content before you posted this topic. I do not think that what you posted is in-depth enough to be considered to be of much help to intermediate players.

I happened to glance over you saying you spent 5 hours on this guide. I would have spent at least 50 hours before posting something like this. Even then I would carefully state that it is incomplete and is to be elaborated on. I think you would be taken more seriously and that you would receive more and better tips from other players if you had done that.

Finally, if you want to have a good guide be made for this community, it would be prudent to collaborate with some other people, and form a group dedicated to truly map out the secrets to FFR. I do like the sentiment of you making this guide, so please try to make it as good as possible.
I completely agree with you man, I don't think I should've rushed it this is more like a rough draft and I'll be adding more techniques a little later. But if you would like to contribute that would be excellent. This is just my opinion, I wanted to make this a sort of waypoint to other useful info.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #36
Dorby
fake plastic deez
FFR Veteran

Play harder songs, turn on mirror if you are getting a mind block, mess with your speedmod - eventually, there will be a median you are most comfortable at. I can't believe how in depth some of you are going... FFS it's just a rhythm game.

EDIT: oh and DO NOT MASH just to get a better rank on a song. Let your ranks be an honest reflection of how you are doing.
And so it was, with this thread that, in 2014 Robertsona will be placed in history via the Legendary Thread section. He will be respected as a self-proclaimed master of TGB. A feat so uncared for and ignored that he himself committed suicide in early 2013.

Last edited by Dorby; 03-27-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Dorby is offline   Reply With Quote