Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums > Gaming > Stepmania

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
QueenAshy
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: San Antonio, TX
Age: 19
Posts: 554
Default Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

A lot of people say stepmania has better judge than osu!mania, but I disagree. It seems like I FC shit in stepmania that I couldn’t even pass in osu!mania. This is the default stepmania judge, am I doing something wrong? Is stepmania more lenient with the miss window for hitting too late or too early?

Same goes for FFR too. Like for some reason, I’m perfectly able to cheese 1/12th rolls and not get any misses, and I rarely get a boo or a few goods when doing so.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by QueenAshy; 09-14-2018 at 02:20 PM..
QueenAshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Wayward Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 30
Posts: 5,627
Default Re: Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

Are you using stepmania 5 or etterna? Because iirc stepmania 5 has the life judge at 5 instead of 4 by default
__________________
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
QueenAshy
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: San Antonio, TX
Age: 19
Posts: 554
Default Re: Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
Are you using stepmania 5 or etterna? Because iirc stepmania 5 has the life judge at 5 instead of 4 by default
Etterna
QueenAshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
emulord
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
emulord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 743
Default Re: Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

From what I can tell, great+good windows seem big in stepmania, and perfect+good windows in FFR are pretty enormous.

Also in stepmania chord cohesion seems to give me much better accuracy. The only thing I've ever AAAA'd was 100% jumps lol

Ive only played osu, not osumania so I couldnt say on that.
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Wayward Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 30
Posts: 5,627
Default Re: Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

Chord cohesion is disabled in the newer builds of etterna
__________________
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
QueenAshy
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: San Antonio, TX
Age: 19
Posts: 554
Default Re: Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

Chord cohesion?
QueenAshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
FFR Veteran
 
storn42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 460
Default Re: Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
Chord cohesion?
essentially it counts and times chords as if they were 1 note. iirc the timings based on the last note that you hit.

You also assume that the game is easier rather than you are playing better. etterna has a lot of tools that osumania simply doens't have. some things include the acc bar in the middle of the screen, C-mod, and the notes colored based on denomination rather than column colors. If you truly feel that the judgements are too easy, you can always turn it up to judge 5.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
"I think storn is town but he doesn't have a shirt on" - Roundbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post


storn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
QueenAshy
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: San Antonio, TX
Age: 19
Posts: 554
Default Re: Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by storn42 View Post
essentially it counts and times chords as if they were 1 note. iirc the timings based on the last note that you hit.

You also assume that the game is easier rather than you are playing better. etterna has a lot of tools that osumania simply doens't have. some things include the acc bar in the middle of the screen, C-mod, and the notes colored based on denomination rather than column colors. If you truly feel that the judgements are too easy, you can always turn it up to judge 5.
That sounds OP
QueenAshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #9
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
foxfire667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Age: 25
Posts: 2,130
Default Re: Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
Etterna
Post scores so I can get an idea of now "squishy" your judgements are. From my experience, people who move from O!M to Etterna perform a lot worse, due to the way scoring is carried out (mainly due to very harsh misses, CB rush punishing from the larger bad windows, CB judgements which give negative percent, and actually relevant perfect / marv judgements as opposed to just giving 100% acc like in osu).

There is no reason to increase the judge, J4 WIFE% accommodates all the way to up +/-2ms, which no one will ever hit consistently. For in song adaptation, the error bar is far more useful than judgements if you bother to learn it.
__________________
SM pack archiver | 1.5 Billion Club | StepMania Online: [Register]

Last edited by foxfire667; 09-14-2018 at 09:48 PM..
foxfire667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:47 AM   #10
dadcop2
FFR Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 210
Default Re: Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

you have a squishy head
dadcop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #11
icontrolyourworld
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
icontrolyourworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,973
Default Re: Why does stepmania have such squishy judgement?

Stepmania has a squishy judgement because that's the way we like it! honestly it's really not a problem unless you're just aaaa'ing everything. If you were at that point stepmania provides the option to increase your judgement difficulty so there's really no point in complaining about it even then.

So again unless you quad every single file you play there's technically room for improvement and it doesn't seem necessary to complain about the Judgment being bad or anything like that.
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution