Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files

Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #61
James May
FFR Player

Default Re: ODIPack3 submissions (it's happening!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
Having trouble finding a song to step f
3-way collab with Logan & me on Christmas in Hollis?

Also might submit that 6-minute jazz fusion song that I was working on for hi19's pack (rip hi19's pack), that is if I can find the file because my external died (rip ~60 gb worth of sm stuff (rain))

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #62
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Ya I've decided all the stuff I had saved for my pack (rip) I'll probably be sending to this instead and I encourage everyone else to do so as well.

Sorry again for letting that die ;_;

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #63
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

All packs die to regroup in a bigger one
Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #64
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

This depressing reality brought to you by Christophe Loulet-GeBlanc

NeoMasterPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #65
Sakish
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sakish Send a message via MSN to Sakish Send a message via Skype™ to Sakish

baq12 files nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

really cool to see this tho glove
sweden power
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #66
dascookieman
FFR Player

Ok, played and evaluated the Xoon6 files. Green means pretty much accepted, purple means maybe after revision and red means no.

I havn't looked through my notes before posting them so it might not always make sense but I hope it's fine.

The reason why I post the feedback openly here is so that you can get an idea about what kind of things I'm looking for and what you should avoid, even if you havn't played these files. It's also easier for me and you guys can get updated on the activity going on with the pack.

Many of these files are superawesome, you guys make good simfiles nowadays. There's a lot of text below, but mostly it's just me pointing out minor things to change to make the simfile follow the music more accurately, in many cases will the things I've pointed out not make a big difference to the file as a whole, it's just sharpening the edges so to speak.

acid wolfpack
oni has too many mines. i think there should be mines in a few parts but imo they need to be removed throughout a lot of the file because the file is actually relatively easy and it feels like many of the mines are just there to randomly make it harder, and it makes the sections were the mines are really cool become annoying too.
i can't say right now if i think this will end up being accepted. it's a cool and well-made file but it never really gets into a flow, it could really use some stream or bursts to make it more memorable and fun to score on, right now its mostly about trying to MA a bit awkward patterns throughout the song

measure 16 why is the first arrow a jump
measure 19 sounds like swing, not 8ths!
right before measure 37, it should be 3 24ths
measure 40, 3 missing melody notes
measure 45 make all the melody notes freezes if youre doing some, since it will not make it an annoying freezefest at all
measure 49 make it a freeze-section and remove the mines?
measure 58 again there are 3 24ths
measure 63-70 the vocals should be freezes it will be cool, the part is a bit empty the way it is right now
measure 76 notes missing, actually this entire part of the file needs to be looked at closely, there are a few notes missing and it has a very weird flow in general
measure 82 first jump is a single
measure 84 first jump should be a single? there is percussion there but it doesnt seem like that little hi-hat have been stepped before.
measure 85 last jump is a single
measure 86 first 3 16ths could be jack, wouldnt be too hard
measure 88 sounds like that 32nd is just a 16ths?
measure 92 bass drum missing on the first 8th
measure 94 should arrow should be a single?
measure 79-95 there are many inconsistencies in how the percussion is stepped. i pointed out a few things, this part should be looked at thoroughly

always yours
the song needs to be cut. it's too boring the way it is right now, the only part that defines the file is the last one which is pretty awesome and has good mine usage. but the rest is just easy MA with some mines and gets old real quick, a lot of the song needs to be cut.

apocynthion drive
wow what a juggernaut of a file lmao. it's really fun! much of it is accurately stepped and fun as well, but it needs a lot of revision. go through the file and change it up. this one will surely be accepted once we're done with it

measure 1-5 half of the trip 16ths are going to the lead and the other half to the drums. decide if you want it to be 16th jumps when they play at the same time or if you wanna remove the drum 16ths.
measure 16 the last hand should be a jump cuz the melody isnt hitting
measure 22 missing melody note burst in the middle
measure 21-35 there are missing 8th melody notes here and there
measure 45-46 a 16ths missing before every freeze
measure 48 i think the trill has a 16th too much in the beginning
measure 49 is weird
measure 55-71 i would make the trip 16ths in this section jacks since it is a hard file. the same melody plays in the end of the file as well but there i think it is fine the way it is.
measure 130 freeze note missing
measure 151 there's 1 or 2 more 16ths there i think
measure 152-153 need to be remade, it's not just 16ths it's something funny going on there :P
measure 157-166 lead melody notes are missing
measure 168 jumps missing
measure 170 16th jumps or 24ths or something missing (lead melody)
measure 175-187 lose half of the jumps. you were putting jumps to the melody now it stopped, just the pitch-relevant stream is great here with that occasional cymbal hit that usually hits every sixth 4th.
measure 262 it's very wrong
measure 264 the color notes are wrong but if you want it like that it works cuz its really cool
measure 266 missing burst in the beginning and the freezes feel weird
measure 268 this section can be made hard if you want to
measure 269 the percussion jumps are off
measure 274 a melody 8th missing?
measure 282 missing 24ths
measure 291 shorten the last freeze
basically the whole solo part needs to be looked at. if youre following two sounds, a lead and a percussion, then imo you shouldnt put two arrows when the percussion hits while the lead isn't playing. for example when youre holding freezes going to the lead. and there are some lead notes missing i think

cauterize
this file is good and has a lot of potential. this is goin to end up being accepted eventually

measure 15. the 4th jumps in the stream doesn't all go to something. either don't abandon the guitar here and layer the guitar on to top of a 16th stream. or just make a 16th stream with jumps when the few hard snare drum hits that are in there, the later will be cool of the guitar would make it too hard.
measure 19. one 32nd too much
measure 20. i would take out most of the jumps in the 32nds, since they don't go to anything other the drums
measure 21-34. the guitar is actually playing 16ths all the way here, i just looked at it quickly but it seems that you stepped it following the bass drum's constant 16ths and then added arrows to the non-palm muted guitar notes. i would advice to remake this part following the guitar and then just adding the snare drum hits and the cymbal crashes.
measure 37. you could put a hand for the first 8th in there since you were following the vocals before.
measure 37-45. stepping the vocals rulz, but what is the third layer? if it's the snare drum then there are a bunch of very easily fixable errors
measure 45-50. i don't think you should use mini-freezes for the non-palm muted guitar notes here since you have them for the percussion crashes as well which you do throughout the simfile. i know i was the one to start all this when i made confined XD but i think you need to lose the percussion minifreezes here if you want to keep the ones going to the guitar.
measure 27. the drum burst obviously has notes missing
measure 69-71 you aren't stepping the bass drum before or after this part so it's a bit random that they're in there.
measure 75-77 why no snare drum in the stream?
measure 77-79 the freeze should end and theres another guitar note on the 8th before the second and third freeze
measure 79-81 you were following the guitar dont abandon it now when it gets awesome!! add the guitar 12ths to that stream and lose the snare drum jumps.
measure 93-97. minijacks are awesome but imo there shouldn't be jumps when the guitar plays the high notes but instead when the percussion hits. what is going to the guitar will be really obvious anyways because of the minijack-patterns, this part is gonna be awesome, feels like a gunshot to the head of trepidation.
measure 97-99. lose the hands and have hands from measure 99 instead where you're following the vocals, it's supercool
the ending should be made a 16th-jumpfest (guitar+drums obv) and you can keep following the vocals to get a few hands in there as well. the bpm is only 115 so it'll be fun

fatal tragedy
fucking awesome shit, will be accepted when revised

the beginning guitar should not have those minijacks
measure 12 i think the freezes are unnecessary and they mess up the reading
measure 15. 1 drum note missing
measure 16. 1 drum note missing, it also goes slightly offsync but syncing that is hard
measure 18. 1 drum note missing
measure 19-24. i think you should lose the snare drum since it distracts you from the melody so much when it comes in inbetween the 4 melody notes, but if you want to keep it it's fine, but there is one or two hits that's missing in that case.
measure 27. 1 lead 16th missing and wtf are those color notes??
measure 28. the color notes are off-sync
measure 29. guitar notes missing a lot in the beginning of the solo and this is the most awesome part of the song XD!!!
measure 31-40. this is SPECTACULAR
measure 37 though too much drums? if you have drums there they should be consistent all the way through measure 38.
measure 40-43. not completly on-sync but it's cool. you could add the occasional snare drum hit in here since youre
measure 46-48 this part is off-sync and has a bunch of missing notes though
measure 48 the 3-16ths jack, i don't think the first note is the same as the second two.
measure 55, the triple freezes are too much there i think
measure 56, make the first of the two last high notes a freeze as wellimo , even though it's short
the keyboard solo overall looks great, except for perhaps a few spots that looked a bit awkward. just look a bit at how you use the drums in these solo parts. i like that you don't have the drums added in the color note madness parts, but then do in the easier sections. but it could be a bit more consistent in the sections where they are added
the ending is just beautiful, great job. but theres a couple of piano notes missing at measure 100? :P

Five Regrets
this file is very well made and it's always very clear going on. the layering is near perfect and this one doesn't need much revision at all. it will be accepted

there's something really weird going on in measure 19-20, this needs to be looked at.
measure 40, the first two piano notes almost sound like 16th gallops? its really subtle though so you can have it any way youd like, same for measure 42 though.
measure 42, 1 16ths too much
measure 47, there's 32nds or smth like that just where that measure starts if you want to add that.
measure 48-50, i would make the rest of the melody notes here freezes as well so that it gets a lot easier to follow when playing since it's an easy part anyway
maybe adjust the end of the file as well so that it doesn't have freezes at all going to the lead melody instead of one every once in a while. but this is up to you

Hydraulic
this one is also well made but it isn't eventful enough. nothing ever really happens in the song, some parts are cool because they follow the song so well but overall the file is way too easy and uninteresting. the only somewhat challenging parts are the 48th bursts that go to the most subtle sound in the song, i wouldn't have a problem with that if the rest of the song was harder though. for keyboard play i don't like this file very much but i'm sure it's awesome for pad with the easier difficulties and the bpm tricks. it will not be accepted

Invincible
another file that is well made but too repetetive and uninteresting once again. i like how it continously built up with the added layers and the freeze usage is good, you also do a good job with maintaining pitch relevancy but mixing up your patterns. but in the end it's the same simple rhythms over and over. this file is not on the same level as some of the other files here regarding variety and replayability. i can't see this being accepted

Laveran no Shokutaku
I love this file. It has a great pitch-relevancy and rhythms, it's superfun to play. BUT those 48ths just repeat too much, start mixing up the patterns half-way through them, even though that means sacrificing pitch-relevancy. it would make it much more fun and so much more replayable, since otherwise when thinking about this file it's always gonna be about that annoying repetetive part that you have to nail. it's just the type of section that everyone developes bad habits on and can't hit. other than that this is a great simfile and it will surely be accepted.

Moe-Moe Kyunstep
once again much too easy and long. nothing ever really happens in the file. the entire first half is just really boring, then a few cool things happen here and there, i like the minijacks, the bursts and some of the general patterns. but the song repeat very similarly throughout and it is way too long for me wanting to play this again at all. it would definitely become a better file is the song was cut and i think there could some room for improvement to make it a bit more eventful, but i don't think you will get far enough with this song.

Purple haze
the song needs to be cut. the beginning is boring and the silent piano part is so long. the first half of the file just relies on a few mine bursts to be challenging at all and just isn't all that great, because of not much happening in the song. i think it needs a cut in the middle too, it repeats too many times. the patterns are fun for a while but it gets old when it goes on for so long. when eventually the good part of the file that defines this simfile starts, it feels like most of what i played before was just unnecessary and i messed up my score because of mines half an hour ago. if it's cut down to a short song i could possibly see this accepted

Shook
the beginning needs to be cut imo. its pretty long and its just 93bpm 16ths all the time. i can tell that it's very accurately stepped and well layered, but still it isn't that much fun to play. the rest of the file is obviously a lot more going on in and is a lot more challenging, but it's no fun to have to go through the long boring intro to get to the part that matters.

one general problem with the file is that at times towards the end it gets really hard to follow. i wont go through it today i only looked at it briefly, some parts are great though.

measure 33-41 has too many freezes, it should be changed somehow.
measure 40 a bunch of 32nds missing?
measure 52 missing color notes
measure 53 missing color notes in the end
measure 54 missing color notes
measure 55 missing color notes

wine of gold
this file could possibly end up being accepted as it has a lot of potential, but i don't like how parts of it are made. they could be made so much more fun.

all the 24th trills are 32nds.
measure 9-20 the 8ths go to nothing. remove them and put new ones going to that hi-hat, it will be cool.
measure 20-23 a few of the single notes aren't there
measure 33-53 has 16ths missing and a few 16ths are wrong. it also bothers me that there are no extra arrows added when the melody hits at the same time as the percussion stepped. you should make all the 4th jumps single notes to begin with and make the 4ths and 8ths jumps when the melody is playing at the same time. then add one more arrow going to the percussion like you have from measure 41. right before measure 53 a bunch of drum stuff is obviously wrong
measure 57-end this part has potential because the melody does a couple of cool things and the small drum bursts are cool. but i think it needs to be remade completly because it isn't well layered at all. find all the melody notes first, then just add notes on all 4ths and 8ths to the bassdrum and hi-hat and then add the drum bursts as well. the way it is right now it's the same pattern and flow over and over even though there are very clear different things going on in the song, it's not nearly as much fun as it should be. if this part is properly layered it will automatically become a lot more interesting and challenging, and it will provide a bit of a climax towards the end of the file which is always cool.

Last edited by dascookieman; 03-15-2013 at 10:25 AM..
dascookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #67
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

No offense but this isn't 2008

Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #68
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

No offense but this isn't your pack bud
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #69
dascookieman
FFR Player

how does it matter what year it is? judging by the response in this thread it seems like most people would like a pack like this again. why wouldn't i take the time to go through the files thoroughly? i have a broken hand i have nothing better to do :P
Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #70
kommisar
Dark Chancellor

It's good. This will ensure every file has been taken apart and fixed to its best potential.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #71
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

Sure, it's not my pack and maybe I shouldn't have been so passive aggressive, but I just don't want to take a step back when we've done so much to eliminate elitism these past years. Technicality isn't everything, if someone "missed 1 drum note" then maybe that's how they meant to express the song. There's only so much that can be considered objectively wrong

Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #72
kommisar
Dark Chancellor

Kommisar rejected files this must truly be 2008

Hehe. Expect a few more from me.

The reason for te ffr packs were to create community packs and be more lenient. This is glove's pack and his standards of quality are much higher. This doesn't mean it's "elitist"
It's just what he's looking for
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #73
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

ya but this is odipack3... i dont know what you expected lmfao

i personally think both kinds of judging have a place in the stepman world and since we really havent had a strict, "elitist" pack in awhile, i'm all for it.
this will have a postive effect on the file output (quality > quantity), and given the track record, i still play many odi files today. glove keep doing your thing.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 03-15-2013 at 11:45 AM..
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #74
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

His pack, his rules. I have no quarrel with how he runs this pack, however I feel that keeping the high standards to match his ideals is taking a step backward in time.

The only issue is the target demographic—is he sculpting files to match his ideal or sculpting files to match the community. You all already know that I'm obviously for the latter because I want to leave as much personal bias out of files as possible.

My only issue with what he's doing is the fact that he's rejecting or diminishing files for reasons such as "it's too long" or "it's too easy" which is completely and wholeheartedly subjective—there will always be people who actually like these kind of files, which really questions who exactly is the demographic he's aiming for. Is he trying to appeal to the tiny abysmal community here or would he rather prefer to broaden the spectrum of players to the majority in which are casuals?

I already had discussions with GLoVE about this whole deal so essentially I'm cool with how this pack is run so long as we aren't taking a step back to elitist era here. People will ultimately be influenced by the mentality in which this pack will run, which may spiral the community back to the past viewpoints of "you should do this in a file otherwise it's bad or unacceptable" kind of thing. Essentially, everything we've done up until now to become much more open minded and encourage players and simfile authors to try will have been a lost cause and for absolutely nothing should we ever go back to how we were in the past—this is my only concern.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 03-15-2013 at 11:54 AM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #75
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

I think you mean the latter

Old 03-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #76
LongGone
-
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I think you mean the latter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #77
dascookieman
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMasterPie View Post
Sure, it's not my pack and maybe I shouldn't have been so passive aggressive, but I just don't want to take a step back when we've done so much to eliminate elitism these past years. Technicality isn't everything, if someone "missed 1 drum note" then maybe that's how they meant to express the song. There's only so much that can be considered objectively wrong
i understand what you mean but this is by no means a pack where technicality is everything. as you can see i have either accepted or rejected the files because of how i liked to play them. most of the rejected files have been because they are too easy and boring. it's the ones that im accepting that im just trying to sharpen up technically, my advice are usually just about a few notes, i don't get what is bad about this?

i should point out that if someone makes a file that i want to accept after some revision and the author doesn't want to do this, i would probably end up accepting it as it is. that goes for all the files reviewed with green text so far

Last edited by dascookieman; 03-15-2013 at 11:55 AM..
dascookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #78
LongGone
-
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascookieman View Post
most of the rejected files have been because they are too easy and boring. it's the ones that im accepting that im just trying to sharper up technically, my advice are usually just about a few notes, i don't get what is bad about this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post
My only issue with what he's doing is the fact that he's rejecting or diminishing files for reasons such as "it's too long" or "it's too easy" which is completely and wholeheartedly subjective—there will always be people who actually like these kind of files, which really questions who exactly is the demographic he's aiming for. Is he trying to appeal to the tiny abysmal community here or would he rather prefer to broaden the spectrum of players to the majority in which are casuals?
At the end of the day, I guess its about keeping it in moderation..

Bear in mind too, its not just merely "GLoVE's pack", its ODI3. It carries a weight with it; a reminiscence of the "elitist" era. Careful with what you're treading here, we want to maintain a certain quality level but at the same time we don't want to be overly "elitist" (ugh I hate that word rofl) and cater towards a select few tastes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year

Last edited by LongGone; 03-15-2013 at 12:04 PM..
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #79
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

That sounds a lot better. The revision despite being "accepted" is what got me all worked up

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #80
kommisar
Dark Chancellor

Just start your own pack if ya not happy haha.

It's too easy to get files in packs now. This is a challenge I love it. Forces me to really think about what I'm gonna send next