Old 09-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #21
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: [caravan] caravan

I'm actually kinda upset that this got memed from the get go because unless I'm missing some background, this is by far your most ambitious and best chart yet
like compared to some of the stuff of yours that I can drum up from memory it's not even comparable lmao, this blows everything out of the water
this is just based on looking at it in editor though. I saw a few technical errors while watching it, some of the discoloring is a bit annoying, but overall whew boy this is nuts

I'll give full thoughts on this when I get home for sure
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #22
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: [caravan] caravan

beginning to beat 127 is great, tho the holds going to the crash cymbals are a bit too heavy imo, they aren't particularly louder than anything going on around them.

even though this is jazz we're talking about here, beats 127 through 472 are waaay too noodly for my old stepmania brain. some sections have some pretty decent hold usage but from coming from someone who's played mainly stepmania/etterna for 15 Actual Real Years this section, for the most part, would be better without holds entirely. that being said, as far as layering and emphasis goes, this section is really quite good.

the ascending hold pattern here at beat 473 is like, objectively wrong in every fundamental except for pitch relevancy, which makes it punk as hell, which is also good as hell.

beats 481 through 586 are also pretty noodly, but this works far better than earlier in the song due to how the song is structured here. you obviously want to draw as much attention to those horns (saxophones?), and this does it really well.

beats 586 through 728 absolutely rule. it was also at this point where I realized that the discoloration is due to this chart coming from a different play meta (notes that are not colored by quantization specifically) so that's not really going to be a factor in whether I think something is good or not.

728 through 802 is pretty well executed imo, some of the random holds make absolutely no sense.

802 through 965 is a bit overlayered for my tastes (aka I'm bad at this game), but makes sense from an intensity point of view, I think. now that I think about it, this section feels a lot like something iamme would do. is this a case of iamme syndrome in 2020????
(btw if you don't know who iamme is, just know that this is a compliment)

965 to 1158 is perfect

1158 to 1851 is also very reminiscent of iamme, still a bit overlayered but makes sense.

1851 to 1873 is not how I would have ended it but for what you were going for it's technically correct (lol what a way to finish off the review)

so yeah uh while I have some gripes with this chart, (interspersed technical errors, if you're interested in where shoot me a dm on discord), this is incredibly solid. 8.5/10
choof is offline   Reply With Quote