Old 12-5-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
^Sorrow^
Button Mashing Cat
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to ^Sorrow^
Default Help proper way to play ffr

I'm having trouble with AAAs and FCs, but I realize that I use a laptop and play on a bed. I play with 4 fingers and I want to know how to align my fingers when I play and what kind of keyboard I should use. Any comments would be so helpful to me, thank you so much everyone.
^Sorrow^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari
Default Re: Help proper way to play ffr

If you play laid down, try to use a "crooked" key setup, like mine: EF48. Try something along the lines of EFLP, EFKO, RGKO, the closer, the better, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
Wind0ze
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

While I have only been on these forums for a few months (compared to your three years) and am relatively inexperienced with FFR, I think I could give you some advice.

Honestly, it hardly matters how good your equipment is. I switched from a random Dell keyboard to a Corsair K90 RGB a few months ago and I saw no notable improvement.

As for finger alignment, I suggest trying out a bunch of different setups and seeing what you are most comfortable with. I can't necessarily give good advice for laptop on bed as I play on a desktop PC.

Overall however, I suggest to just keep playing if you want to see improvement. Improvement isn't something that happens overnight, it happens gradually overtime. Some people I've seen have been on this forum for over a decade, having years of experience.

If you think your skill is plateauing, push yourself harder. Play harder songs, set goals for yourself. Try to fit in at the very least 30 minutes every day in your schedule if you like.

Anyway, good luck on improving!
▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▓▒▒
░░██░░▓▓██
██▓▓░░▓██▓

Last edited by Wind0ze; 12-5-2016 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Changed advice on finger alignment a bit.
Wind0ze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
^Sorrow^
Button Mashing Cat
FFR Veteran

Thank you so much! I'm going to try it out and see if it works in the long run!
Old 12-5-2016, 08:31 PM   #5
^Sorrow^
Button Mashing Cat
FFR Veteran

Hm, I've been playing this game for 6 years, and I've been improving very slowly for those years. So I'm looking to try something different. But if you could tell me how you use your fingers. That would be helpful. Like hands lifted up or palms are touching the keyboard. I really think I'm playing wrong. It's great to know that my keyboard doesn't matter though. Thanks!
Old 12-5-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

Keyboards do matter, and a mechanical will improve your gameplay at higher levels. You don't need a mechanical keyboard to be good but it will help.
Old 12-5-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
sickufully
Sir Krisk
FFR Veteran

Sitting at a desk/table will probably help. I used to play ffr lying down in bed but my laptop was too unstable on my legs and reading the notes became twice as hard.

As for keyboards, any old mech keyboard will do. Mine is 10+ years old and I have no information about it but it's so much better than using my laptop keys. Saw instant improvement.

As for key setup, it's whatever feels comfy for you. I use WEOP but it seems most people tend to use SDKL or something on the middle line of letters.
Old 12-5-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
Shikari
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Sorrow^ View Post
I really think I'm playing wrong.
If you're really playing laid down, you're playing wrong from the get-go, it's hard to have a proper posture this way.

Regarding improvement, if there was a secret formula to improve skills, it would never be secret. The best thing I can say is to focus on learning the fundamentals, like streams and jumps, until they become simple, then you move on to harder patterns like high speed bursts, jacks and jumpstreams.

Quote:
Old 12-5-2016, 08:42 PM   #9
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Hi fam, fellow laptop + play-on-bed user here.

Standard spread alignments like askl or zxm, still work best imo, playing on a concave setup like efko on higher difficulty songs presents certain physiological restrictions that a completely horizontal setup would not (although one handed trilling is slightly easier on a concave setup).

I can't give any solid advice on keyboard recommendations because I've always pretty much played with the keyboards my laptops come with, but as far as setups are concerned, experiment. You'll find what works best for you soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind0ze View Post
Honestly, it hardly matters how good your equipment is. I switched from a random Dell keyboard to a Corsair K90 RGB a few months ago and I saw no notable improvement.
My old laptop died a couple months back and my new laptop keyboard outright refuses to actuate fast repeated taps a large majority of the time when playing jack-heavy files. Charts that were free AAAs on my old laptop are now borderline impossible to FC on this one, with no part due to skill deterioration or the game running poorly in comparison, though the keyboard has still been good enough to snag 100+ difficulty AAAs that don't contain those types of patterns. It's possible not to notice if you aren't playing a wide variety of charts, but equipment most definitely matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno

Last edited by One Winged Angel; 12-5-2016 at 08:44 PM..
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Shikari
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
playing on a concave setup like efko on higher difficulty songs presents certain physiological restrictions that a completely horizontal setup would not
Really? That's interesting, I've been using a concave setup for years now and never heard of this.

Quote:
Old 12-5-2016, 11:35 PM   #11
GotSkittles
I am that is.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to GotSkittles

I play ffr on laptop rn and occasionally find that I play with myself in bed. I use dfjk, but I stick to lower level songs (10-20 levels lower than my highest fc) that are much easier to fc when I'm laying down. probly not helpful sry
GotSkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2016, 12:08 AM   #12
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

i used to play on a laptop. was able to reach D6. only reason i switched to mechanical is cuz i built a desktop and wanted a nice keyboard for once, but getting good in this game is more about learning what works for you, not so much about having the perfect equipment.

ofc, im but a noob, so dont take everything i say as fact.

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal

Last edited by PhantomPuppy; 12-6-2016 at 12:08 AM..
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2016, 12:42 AM   #13
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

I never understood you people that play askl like how does that work, I get mad finger cramps & freeze ups when I do askl.

thko works so much better for me I don't believe anything OWA says #praiseit #crookedsetup

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2016, 11:53 AM   #14
happyhardcor3
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to happyhardcor3

everyone plays different, the best advice I can give you is to find a setup that feels comfortable to YOU. me personally I like my hands spread far apart I use Z X down right (arrow pad) I would much prefer to use numpad on my left hand but I get ghost misses when I do that. try others setups if you'd like but move your hands around your keyboard and find where they comfortably fit is the best advice I can give you.

as far as aaa goes play the easiest of songs until you get them aaa'd, then just keep moving up in difficulty eventually you will notice a great improvement in your perfect accuracy.

Last edited by happyhardcor3; 12-6-2016 at 11:57 AM..
happyhardcor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
If you're really playing laid down, you're playing wrong from the get-go, it's hard to have a proper posture this way.
This.

You'd be surprised how many muscles are involved in arrowsmashing, especially on the higher end of play. You're restricting yourself by playing a) laying down and b) on an unsteady surface. As far as wrist positioning goes, you're already restricting yourself by playing laying down. If you're playing on a flat surface like a desk, in a sitting position, you'll have much more freedom of movement in your arms and wrists. And honestly, wrist positioning can vary depending on the type of patterns you're playing. For instance, I typically play wrist-down but on extremely jacky patterns like those in AIM Anthem, I use wrist-up which allows me to control speed with my forearms instead of my wrists, which turns out to be much more accurate (for me at least).

Playing casually, laying down is fine. But if you're serious about improving in this game quickly, keyboard shouldn't matter, keybinds shouldn't matter too terribly much as long as you're using spread (4 fingers 2 hands), but sitting at a desk with enough room to move arms/wrists is imperative to training the proper muscle groups needed to get better faster. This is a game of muscle memory, and it's important you don't learn bad habits in that regard.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 12-6-2016 at 12:30 PM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2016, 02:38 PM   #16
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

I feel like the desk and chair are just as important as the keyboard.
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote