Old 05-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
MrWoof10
FFR Player

Default Need Tips

Hello, yes. I know, I have been a member for 3 years. I have just recently started playing FFR actively. I have now switched over to spread after using arrow keys, and need some tips.

1. I keep messing up by pressing the wrong key because my brain tends to do it through how I see it instead of memory most the time, so it's like I need the notes to be QWOP for left, up, down, right.

2. I can't find a good song to practice on for speed and accuracy. My highest FC is 11 and I have 10 AAAs with my highest being 4.

3. Should I be going for AAAs or just practicing higher levels and getting FCs on 10s instead of getting AAAs on 5s

Https:Soundcloud.com/user-223401819
MrWoof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Need Tips

I try to mix in a bit of everything in a session - AAAing easier songs, SDGing middle difficulty songs, and simply trying to beat old scores on tougher songs.

Last edited by TheSaxRunner05; 05-19-2018 at 01:17 PM..
TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Ya gotta consciously make the decision to get better at this game. Continue practicing. You are the warrior. Play some 20s, play some 30s. Tell your brain "I will make this happen.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

how to get good 101:

play more, develop muscle memory

recognize what you need to improve on and work on that, practice specific skillsets you arent good at

play more to develop muscle memory

ok so i actually read ur post and like:

Quote:
2. I can't find a good song to practice on for speed and accuracy. My highest FC is 11 and I have 10 AAAs with my highest being 4.

3. Should I be going for AAAs or just practicing higher levels and getting FCs on 10s instead of getting AAAs on 5s
Ok so you are at the point basically where like, its irrelevant what level you are playing, like real talk, it doesnt matter at all. Just set the filter to level 10-20, play songs that you like the sound of and enjoy, and then set it to 20-30 etc, play songs you enjoy etc etc

basically, improvement in arrow game is like this, overall:

1. Start playing, literally just grind and develop muscle memory. You can play for 10 hours a day and constantly improve at this point

2. get to a level where u actually need to focus on specific skillsets

3. start having dedicated sessions for training etc, warming up, setting scores, etc etc

Literally just keep playing, thats all there is to it, you can play for hours and hours a day and improve, just keep playing things that challenge you until you build muscle memory
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

like at the point you are at, literally don't even think about AAAs AT ALL, i dont care what anyone says "omgg you need acc", you are at the stage where you need to develop the muscle memory to hit a large variety of patterns before you can like, start pushing your speed at them etc, so like, just play more

for songs to improve, specifically play things that you can full combo/nearly full combo, with no boos, but you get goods on

EDIT: generally what I would do, when I was starting out, is like, set the filters to sort by songs that are at your level range, but are also ~less than 2 minutes long - basically, what happens is, because the songs are so short, they are "easier to AAA" than a longer song at the same difficulty level, so the patterns are generally harder... plus, you don't need to focus for ages on a single song

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 05-19-2018 at 08:50 PM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago, but I made the switch from doing well in the 50-60s. It was challenging, and it still is.

Approach it as you would the gym. Pick 10 songs, and play them to completion at least 3 times per day. Play songs that you find difficult at .9 rate until you don't find them difficult.

You'll progress rapidly.
Zageron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Basically whats already stated in here is all you need to do. Warmup on easier songs then when you feel warmed up enough try some harder stuff thats BARELY out of your reach and set goals for each song. Fc, sdg, sdm etc
Thats how i get better. I switched to spread after playing one hand for YEARS so i know the feel. At first it is going to be hard, it just is...but eventually you will develop the muscle memory and start improving. Also, as stated already i wouldnt go for aaas at this point until you feel more comfortable at hitting a variety of patterns.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

It might just be me but I find it fun to play every song I can when I play a rhythm game, and stepmania is especially good for this as we get new packs of songs frequently. So when I played ffr I played every song for an fc, and then went back and aaa'd everything for what was essentially a 2nd play through.

I think you should try out every song you can, go for a personal goal like fc's or low number of boos. It'll keep the game nice and varied and keep you focused on playing well. Hope this helps!
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2018, 11:52 AM   #9
Ximipe
FFR Player

I haven't played that long either. Only about 2 months and I can generally handle a difficulty of 30 but that's pretty much my limit for now. I did find out a technique recently though.

Basically Click options => Edit => move the thing that says amazing just above the judgement line if you have your notes scrolling downwards, below if the notes are scrolling upwards.

The point of doing this is so that you can't look at the judgement line while playing so you'll be forced to use your ears and keep your eyes on the highway (aka the middle part of the screen or the ceiling of the screen).

This is one of the reasons the genre is called rhythm games as once you stop relying on your sight for accuracy you then improve by having your ears catch on to the rhythm. Less work for your eyes and you will have more time to react.

Last edited by Ximipe; 06-8-2018 at 11:53 AM..
Ximipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximipe View Post
I haven't played that long either. Only about 2 months and I can generally handle a difficulty of 30 but that's pretty much my limit for now. I did find out a technique recently though.

Basically Click options => Edit => move the thing that says amazing just above the judgement line if you have your notes scrolling downwards, below if the notes are scrolling upwards.

The point of doing this is so that you can't look at the judgement line while playing so you'll be forced to use your ears and keep your eyes on the highway (aka the middle part of the screen or the ceiling of the screen).

This is one of the reasons the genre is called rhythm games as once you stop relying on your sight for accuracy you then improve by having your ears catch on to the rhythm. Less work for your eyes and you will have more time to react.
I play with the sound off most of the time and id like to think im above average at this game. I'm not good, but im not horrible either. I just use sight, I think using hearing isnt that great because most songs arent on sync anyways, or so alot of players say.
Old 06-8-2018, 02:31 PM   #11
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Download Stepmania
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2018, 10:52 AM   #12
Ximipe
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
I play with the sound off most of the time and id like to think im above average at this game. I'm not good, but im not horrible either. I just use sight, I think using hearing isnt that great because most songs arent on sync anyways, or so alot of players say.
I probably shouldn't have said that so "Matter of fact" like. I'm just saying what has worked for me so far. I will admit it worked better for me in DJMAX than it did here so you have a point about the sync problem.
Ximipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'm currently skillboosting and I'm not playing the game.

I'm just doing physiotherapy to reinforce my weaker muscles around my shoulders that I use for this game and taking a break for my eyes.

I got a new keyboard that register keys faster which is an automatic skillboost alone too because it reduces the delay between reaction time and pressing keys.
That keyboard is also noisy, but hearing my keytaps has been a great way for me to help with reading. I rely on it when I know the song has a good sync.

The input delay helped me to jump from 2.75 to 3.1 speedmod for comfortably reading.

I'm starting to read patterns like rolls in a way that I'm not even worried anymore when I see them because I mechanically know what I'm doing without needing to calculate the space between notes visually because the speedmod is forcing me to react a certain way rather than leaving me room to think ahead about how I should hit a pattern.

Removing thinking in this game allows me to save a bit of time in reaction time as well, but I have to know the songs beforehand to do that great.

When I'm done with physiotherapy, I'll probably give it a try again.

Edit: I don't know if you can do that, but if you can learn how to hit QWOP as left/down/up/right rather than left/up/down/right it might become easier for you to read patterns. I'm like getting a headache just thinking at how to hit jumpstream with left/up/down/right in mind. You would need to hit [13][24] jumptrills like [14][23]. It's possible, but I feel like it may feel tricky eventually.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 06-9-2018 at 03:13 PM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #14
potasium56
FFR Player

Hello mrwolf

Its practice Practice! I played ffr when i was a kid. I recently started playing again recently. I didn't know my song level so what i did was this;

I went to my unplayed tab and just played every song until i found it really hard, which was for me level 30 to 40 songs.

Then.....

I would go back to my level 20 songs and master them, by getting no Averg, Misses, and boo's. Don't necessarily aim for AAA's just get as close to 0 goods as possible.

Since, i find 50 songs to hard right now. I'm doing ^^^^ once i've shaved off some level 20 songs and got below 20 goods will move to level 30 and 40 ect....

I also try and push myself to do hard songs like for example after doing some 20's will go up to 40 or 50.

Here is a good filter below --- all you do is adjust the song level and set the goods. then, navigate to the song flag " All " and start doing songs and improve your score..The time filter is optional...

As, far as your fingers trying to hit a different letter. The more you play the less it wants to do this hahah. This happens to me too, i will be playing with "as56" and my fingers would want to hit q or 9 like they are my feet lol.

Last edited by potasium56; 06-16-2018 at 08:00 PM..
potasium56 is offline   Reply With Quote