Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-7-2011, 07:19 PM   #381
star reaper
owning ffr since 08
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to star reaper
Default Re: Official Tier Point System Thread

This is awesome i hope changes will happen within the next month or so!
Old 09-7-2011, 07:25 PM   #382
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I has 380 touhou points.

Anyways,
nice to see we're not just updating the engine^^.
Old 09-7-2011, 11:55 PM   #383
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Alright guys, just wanted to let you guys know that I'm going to be out the whole day this Friday so expect the new thread to be made at either Saturday or Sunday. If there is nothing by that time then PLEASE BY ALL MEANS, wait on Monday. (It should be made by Saturday though assuming that I do not run into anything that day)
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2011, 04:03 PM   #384
SocoNhydro420
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to SocoNhydro420

I've been wondering when TPs would get updated. There's a TON of fmo/fgos that aren't on there and should be. I 'm super excited with this :3

Also, I think that whoever has the job of messing with the TPs should add songs to it AS they get released. This would be a hell of a lot easier then waiting till we have a load of new songs to add and no one wants to do all that work and it gets put off more.

MUST... AAA...

FMO AAAs (27): Epidermis, Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star, Rottel-da-station, Disconnected Hardkore, Melonmans OP, Battle Theme #37, Fast Asleep, Gacha Gacha Hertz Figu atto Radio, Puzzle, Midnight Dragon, Distorted God, Variations 2, Strangeprogram, Arrogant Cobbler, Kanon Medly ~Metal Wings~, Dance and Zeal, Heavenly Spores, Document 13b, The Divine Suicide of K, Yorukumoryuu Yamikaze, Summer Time Perfume, Chaosmaid, Colorful Course, O (piano version), Ambient Angels, Defection, Jeanie and Caroline

Last edited by SocoNhydro420; 09-8-2011 at 04:08 PM..
SocoNhydro420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2011, 04:20 PM   #385
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

I'm actually not sure it's a good idea to have the most recent songs on the TP list. If we do, it basically means that you need to keep totally up-to-date with FFR charts in order to have an appropriate number of TPs. Take a break for a few months and you'll be behind (i.e. you'll have fewer TPs than you deserve). I think the best system would be one that tries to eliminate as many non-skill-based factors as possible.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2011, 04:24 PM   #386
SocoNhydro420
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Yeah that makes sense qqwerf, but fcs and AAAs do that, why not TPs?

MUST... AAA...

FMO AAAs (27): Epidermis, Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star, Rottel-da-station, Disconnected Hardkore, Melonmans OP, Battle Theme #37, Fast Asleep, Gacha Gacha Hertz Figu atto Radio, Puzzle, Midnight Dragon, Distorted God, Variations 2, Strangeprogram, Arrogant Cobbler, Kanon Medly ~Metal Wings~, Dance and Zeal, Heavenly Spores, Document 13b, The Divine Suicide of K, Yorukumoryuu Yamikaze, Summer Time Perfume, Chaosmaid, Colorful Course, O (piano version), Ambient Angels, Defection, Jeanie and Caroline
Old 09-8-2011, 04:28 PM   #387
Ninty64
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I think the main reason is because Tier Points are supposed to show skill. Your skill shouldn't become 'worse' just because a new song was added. You're still as good as you were before.
Ninty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2011, 04:44 PM   #388
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

TPs are supposed be a better and fairer judge of skill than FCs, AAAs, or average rank. Otherwise, why would we have the TP system at all? I don't think anyone wants another complicated ranking if it doesn't improve the situation
Old 09-8-2011, 06:28 PM   #389
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Perhaps we should just limit new releases from the TP system for a month until after they are released? Idk, throwing out ideas.
Old 09-8-2011, 06:41 PM   #390
SocoNhydro420
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I think you guys are being just a little silly about it, by your reasoning we should NEVER add new songs to the TPs because people who dont play for like a week will have a bad representation of there skill untill they play.

Besides, adding one or two songs at a time wouldn't change how good they look very much at all. The tier point bar would just be like, 10 points higher and their TPs would stay the same. Not a noticible difference in my opinion.

MUST... AAA...

Old 09-8-2011, 06:50 PM   #391
Elite Ninja
Kawaii Desu
Difficulty Consulting Cat
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
Perhaps we should just limit new releases from the TP system for a month until after they are released? Idk, throwing out ideas.
This is what I was thinking.
Old 09-8-2011, 07:39 PM   #392
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

If someone doesn't play for a month their skill is going to drop anyway..

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2011, 09:59 PM   #393
Ninty64
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocoNhydro420 View Post
Besides, adding one or two songs at a time wouldn't change how good they look very much at all. The tier point bar would just be like, 10 points higher and their TPs would stay the same. Not a noticible difference in my opinion.
I actually tried to delete my post because I didn't like it, but it wouldn't let me The point I meant to make in the post was that if you add most of the songs to tier points, then tier points may become another 'completionist' bar; it won't be as indictive of skill. But I realized that I can't think of any better way to do it, so that's why I wanted to delete my post.

I would like new songs to be added to the system, but it's complicated. If you use a system where you need a percentage of points to advance tier levels, then adding new points to tiers that you previously completed could cause you to no longer meet the requirements for your current tier. You could:
1. Never decrease someone's tier level (let them get grandfathered in), or
2. Decrease their tier level, which would mean adding new tier points actually would affect them.
Ninty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2011, 10:26 PM   #394
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

AAAs, averank, etc = Just simple stats that are automatically calculated.
TP = Accurate indicator of skills calculated with complicated system, and we need to update the system manually.

A month is a good interval for active players to play the song at least once. Also, updating the system everytime new songs are added requires us a lot of work, and benefits from it don't match the effort imo. Req songs will be updated periodically, anyways.
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2011, 11:36 PM   #395
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

also, i think that you can potentially pick and choose certain songs for Tier points: ones that force the player to use different skills, i.e. jacking, js, trills, bursts, rolls, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-9-2011, 12:24 AM   #396
SocoNhydro420
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimerax View Post
AAAs, averank, etc = Just simple stats that are automatically calculated.
TP = Accurate indicator of skills calculated with complicated system, and we need to update the system manually.

A month is a good interval for active players to play the song at least once. Also, updating the system everytime new songs are added requires us a lot of work, and benefits from it don't match the effort imo. Req songs will be updated periodically, anyways.
I don't know anything about how complicated adding tps is, so I just assumed it was easy to add a song to the list. All I meant was that frequent small and easy updates beats one long, hard, and frustrating update haha. But like I said I know nothing about how it works so I could easilly be dead wrong. Just making a suggestion though :3

MUST... AAA...

Old 09-9-2011, 12:10 PM   #397
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOSHl View Post
also, i think that you can potentially pick and choose certain songs for Tier points: ones that force the player to use different skills, i.e. jacking, js, trills, bursts, rolls, etc.
We're going to try to do this, although FFR songs do represent different skills unevenly. One thing we're thinking about is to disregard charts that are much harder to FC than to PA, because those tend to show skill unfairly (23-1-0-10 is much much better than 10-0-2-4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocoNhydro420 View Post
All I meant was that frequent small and easy updates beats one long, hard, and frustrating update haha.3
Actually, personally I'd rather spend an hour on something every month than 15 minutes every week. At least with doing it all at once there would be less to keep track of and have responsibility for.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #398
raskanally
165th Top Average Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to raskanally Send a message via MSN to raskanally Send a message via Yahoo to raskanally Send a message via Skype™ to raskanally

To address the adding of new TP songs.
What about instead of all these different tiers.
We make 2 new bars.
We would leave the one thats their right now the way it is.
But make these ones for the lower difficulty songs and for the new ones that are being added.
One for 8-10 and one for 11-13
Just another thought so that it would keep the people who dont play a lot with a full TP bar.
All it would mean is that they didn't always have the time to do the new ones.
It could be updated with the new songs on the 1st of every month with the recent songs added in the past month.
Just a thought.

Still just Smashing away
raskanally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #399
i love you
Live a wonderful life~

Attention Community,

Expect the thread to be made sometime today. I can not really give you a specific time though but it WILL be made today!
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #400
TC_Pr0
Washed up d5 player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love you View Post
Attention Community,

Expect the thread to be made sometime today. I can not really give you a specific time though but it WILL be made today!
I'm pretty sure God said this about the ten commandments.