Old 06-8-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219
Lightbulb The Photography Thread

I know there's a couple members here that makes photography (Spenner, Xiz, etc.) and I thought it could be nice to have a thread to show your pictures, share tips, etc.

So, post in this thread everything that's related to photography. If it's not your work, credit the photographer. Hint, if the pictures are too large, use spoilers please.

I'll start with some pictures I took since last year.

Early August 2013 - Spent an afternoon in one my favourite places. Had the best sleep sessions of my life there. Temperature was great. Great view of the ocean too, but the water is cold even in the summer (barely above 0).

Found an old abandoned pier to take some shots, one of my favourite pics of the day.

A week later - Went on an excursion on an island close to where I live. Good sightseeing to do there, but I didn't had a lot of time to experiment. Bring a small tripod with me to make some HDR photo.

This is what the path looked like that in some places, it was muddy and humid as hell.

Small bridge in the forest.

A ~20m waterfall, very lousy and hard to reach. Used the tripod on that one and tried a couple of long exposure shots.

Probably the only HDR shot that worked. It wasn't too sunny at this point but the view was something!

Near the end of the walk, we rested a couple of minutes on the beach. We were completely exhausted at this point. About 3 hours of walking on rocks, mud and tree branches.

Getting back to the boat. In shot : Crazyjayde.

Early May 2014 - Lost my grandmother earlier this month and while waiting for the funeral, I tried different settings (on Tv) to capture motion blur. Lots of tries but some turned out great. No retouching. And it was raining, of course.

There's a couple of good tutorials around to create similar effects.

Yesterday - Weather was weird (foggy, rainy and dark) and I couldn't slept so I went outside (3 AM) and ventured around the city.

Downtown was completely empty.

The snow deposit. Yes, that's snow ^^. When it rains in the summer, it creates a heavy and thick fog.

Couldn't resist and I climb on the top of that ice mountain (about 20m). I was scared as shit because it felt unstable. Here's what it looks like on the top.

Oh and here's a cat. :3

Last edited by noname219; 06-8-2014 at 05:14 PM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 AM   #2
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Photography Thread

I haven't advertised it on this site, but I have a hobby of photographing my rock & mineral collection, which is entirely macro photography.
So far, all of the pictures were taken with a relatively simple point-and-click digital camera, the Olympus StylusTough-3000 (known more for being drop-resistant than quality images lol). I've very recently acquired a DSLR and macro lens, and am extremely new to it, but hopefully I can utilize that for future photography. I have yet to take any DSLR images of my collection.
For the current images, I've used the Olympus camera with one of those flexible "gorilla pods" for a range of angles. Normally, focus stacking is the way to go for the best images, but since I didn't take these pics with an SLR or a focus rail, that's really hard to achieve. So I've tried my best, but don't be surprised at the lack of depth for some images. In addition, I've adjusted the exposure and color for some images, as quite often you won't achieve an accurate representation of the mineral's color with the initial shot.

Hope you enjoy the images.

I have more photos on my deviantart page here (including non mineral-related images): http://bmah.deviantart.com/gallery/
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:42 AM   #3
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

Dang these are some really nice looking shots. I loved the waterfall.
And your rocks were pretty. ._.

This is the only worthwhile photograph I've ever taken. Was in my backyard, only photo I got and it was perfect.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

@ bmah

Your collection is amazing. I saw you tried experimenting with different light sources (uv light, led) or position (spinel), I think you should do more of them it accentuates colors and details, your post production will be easier.
I've tried one of those gorilla tripods. Great when you're limited in weight and space (in expedition or when you travel). For me, their usage is limited so I rarely need one of these.

@ Zageron

He looks pretty young, were you close to him when you took that shot ?

---

I have made a couple more shots today of an annual fundraiser against cancer. First time really testing my camera in the dark, I need to find better settings. :/ Took about 200 pictures but I processed only 20... I usually keep around 20-25% of a photo shoot.

Didn't bring a tripod, so I took this one on my bag.

Focus was completely off + shutter speed was too slow, colours were good.

Grain. Exposure and clarity were increased which caused all that noise in the sky. I can fix that later.

noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Thanks for commenting! My actual purpose is to really just catalog my collection with images, hence most images appearing with a very standard diffuse lighting. I never intended to be artistic about it, but I might try other things since the photography in general is becoming fun.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 AM   #6
EtienneSM
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

Send a message via Skype™ to EtienneSM

Really like this thread idea. Awesome photos everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
enjoy having every guy ask if they can get some love on their weiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I also like the nps scale. The standard ITG scale for harder files is blown out of proportion and no longer makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
nps is still a better idea for ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
there is 1 tip for people going to college. When you're in college, you'll be 16, which is the age where (where i live) you can get laid lawfully. basically, get laid asap when they look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My logic is that the brain processes in 60 FPS so I play 60 FPS.
EtienneSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
@ Zageron

He looks pretty young, were you close to him when you took that shot ?
Yeah, not sure how old it was. It wasn't a cub, was full sized so probably a teenager. I was about 6 metres away.