Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 03-6-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default mathematics or computers

I'm having a bit of an existential crisis at the moment, I'm looking at Associate Programs that the community college has to offer, and I'm really unsure what I want to do lol.

I have a bit of time before I have to make a decision, so I'd like input from people who have experience in either fields.

Anything in the IT field would be neat because I have work experience, I'm looking at a Forensics or Network Security emphasis, both sound really appealing to me.

Math though, I've always had a knack for math, and I'm kinda upset now that I don't remember a lot of it. And it seems like it would be challenging and, honestly, really fulfilling.

It sounds like I'm choosing between money and happiness but both fields sound like really great choices to me.

Thoughts?
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Tidus810
slimy, yet ... satisfying
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: mathematics or computers

I'll preface that I'm not in either field, so sorry in advance. No insider opinion to be given. </3

Just curious though, how far into math education did you go? What you said kinda rang true with me, regarding having a knack for it and it being fulfilling. But I will say that as you get further into college math (calculus, differential equations and beyond) it gets a lot more hairy, and for me, less appealing. I once saw myself pursuing math but changed my mind after a very short while. That's just me, though. Either way best of luck to you.
Tidus810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
choof
Banned

I only did a bit of ap calc in high school, I have some trigonometry and calc books here that I'm gonna use to prepare for math placement exams tho
Old 03-6-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

You will likely be doing a fair amount of math in any computer degree pursuit, so take that into consideration. If you go into applied computing though, you'll be avoiding most math apart from Linear Algebra.
Old 03-6-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
choof
Banned

I wouldn't imagine there would be much math at all in either forensics or network security, software is another story though.
Old 03-6-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I have to be somewhere in 5 minutes for a meeting, but I'll post something in this thread later. I feel your struggle and I've had to make decisions relating to this and it's likely I'll still have to make related decisions. In the meantime, feel free to add me on skype and we can chat about it as well.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
lurker
ur worst nitemare

if it's not applied math/statistics don't even think about it
Old 03-6-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
choof
Banned

math
http://www.csn.edu/PDFFiles/Degree%2...talog%2091.pdf

computer forensics
http://www.csn.edu/PDFFiles/Degree%2...ation%20GP.pdf

network security
http://www.csn.edu/PDFFiles/Degree%2...EmphasisGP.pdf

Network Security would absolutely be the easiest of the three, all of the core classes I've either studied independently for jobs or have actually worked in jobs that required the knowledge. I'd probably struggle more in General Education classes if I went the Network Security route lol.
Old 03-6-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

An old roommate of mine got a Bachelor's in math, and shortly after graduating, he got a high-paying job in software development. It can't always be a fruitless venture!

I don't know what an employer would think about an Associate's in math versus some other area of study, though. Going through job listings and looking at the requirements for some of them could be a start.

I also had a knack for math (relative to my classmates, at least) through high school, and I've also forgotten basically everything. Sad times. I might take a peek at some online resources sometime.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
choof
Banned

I'll be transferring to UNLV after I'm done with CSN, my goal is to be full time student at CSN while getting an Associates, then be part time student at UNLV while working.
Old 03-6-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
if it's not applied math/statistics don't even think about it

this
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
Jtehanonymous
Hunger Games Hunty
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Jtehanonymous

just to vouch for math/applied math a bit more I've found it's honestly very flexible and you wouldn't be closing any doors by choosing it. I've worked in actuarial as well as in education and the list goes on of opportunities you could pursue. (I'd even argue that you could still work in many related fields to computer science with an applied math degree) they go hand in hand pretty nicely.

I buy all FFR Trading Cards I don't own:
See My FFR TCG Binder

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
Jtehanonymous

You have completed the Lucky Achievement and will be awarded 25k credits.

seriously what the fuck.
Jtehanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2015, 09:36 PM   #13
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

This actually isn't nearly as much of a dilemma as you think, Computer Science involves tons of mathematics to the point that you can even dual major in them without even taking a longer program.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2015, 09:44 PM   #14
choof
Banned

hmm, the only feasible way to double major would be if I did software because there's more of an overlap in classes with math that way

I honestly have no idea how this college thing works rofl
Old 03-6-2015, 09:49 PM   #15
Tidus810
slimy, yet ... satisfying

I think ideally you should first have a specific career in mind. I know that's what you're trying to figure out right now, but I'm saying once you know where you're trying to get to, at that point you can go about deciding how best to get there. Double majoring isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if it's not necessary for you personally, it may be a bad idea. It could be an added stressor, waste of time, waste of money. Or it could be incredibly beneficial. *shrug*
Tidus810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2015, 10:04 PM   #16
choof
Banned

I don't think I have a specific career in mind, although I think it's inevitable that I'll land in IT because that's what I've been doing for years already

I honestly wouldn't mind doing anything in IT, whether it's in security, forensics, software, theory, etc. There are things about each field that I enjoy, or that I would look forward to doing.
Old 03-6-2015, 10:17 PM   #17
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

mathematics or computers?

computers.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2015, 10:30 PM   #18
Trumpet63
Mostly Ignored
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Hi choof... kinda cool to see all of these responses to your problem. Since I've had similar concerns before, I like to weigh in as well.

I've been going to community college here in Florida for about three years part-time to get an Associates Degree. I'm graduating this May with a general AA degree (Associates in Arts). An AA is generally considered a transfer degree, for people who wish to pursue further education, as I do. You're looking at AS and AAS, which generally have fewer gen-ed classes, and are perhaps less transferable if you were looking to get a Bachelors. If you were going to get a Bachelors at some point, you'd probably have to do more gen-ed.

An AA was a good choice for me because I have/had very little job experience, and generally don't enjoy the idea of climbing the corporate ladder. I have aspirations to later pursue a career in mathematics (or sooner, depending on how it goes), so that definitely means further education. I also have no love for IT, because the idea of teaching people how to use a computer makes me just a little suicidal. I'd much rather look into programming work, and specifically video game programming, which is why I plan to apply to a degree program for computer science, and possibly turn it into computer engineering.

Now, from what I understand about math, and from what you've said about your experience so far (AP calc), you have no idea about what to expect from the field of mathematics. I've been working for my college as a math tutor and a TA for more than two years, and everyone I've talked to, as well as the research I've done, has made me absolutely certain that, on the grand scale of things, calculus, diff eq, and linear algebra are all basic math classes. Unfortunately I can't speak from too much experience on what Bachelor's-level math classes are like, you might ask reuben for more info, because I've only taken up to Calc 2, ie only single-variable calculus, but in general, a career in math involves 4+ years more education after your Associates if you plan on getting anywhere ie becoming a professor, or doing research.

That said, dude you're only getting an Associates, you're supposed to be clueless! If you do well in your classes, you can stay in school for however long you want, and from a practical perspective, it depends on what you want to be doing when you're 50 years old what kind of education you need, and even then you can always go back to school.

In short, get an AA if you want to transfer, or stick with AS/AAS if you want to work sooner, and you can always go back to school.
2014 October 7th 1:03 AM

Zageron: Trumpet
Trumpet63: yes, im here
Zageron: You have a problem.

Last edited by Trumpet63; 03-6-2015 at 10:30 PM..
Trumpet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2015, 10:33 PM   #19
choof
Banned

that's honestly what's so exciting about math, I don't know shit about it beyond a basic level and I'd really like to be challenged. it's like... knowledge for the sake of knowledge, or something.

the certifications that the network security program mention (CCNA, Sec+) I've studied for and if I had the money, I could spend 3 days brushing up and could get them with no problem. with any IT program, I'd be at a huge advantage.
Old 03-6-2015, 10:39 PM   #20
Trumpet63
Mostly Ignored
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

P.S. If you want to get a taste of math, check out youtube.com/Numberphile
2014 October 7th 1:03 AM

Zageron: Trumpet
Trumpet63: yes, im here
Zageron: You have a problem.