Old 08-9-2018, 08:29 PM   #21
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Quick rant on fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
I also have a lot of body fat to lose(30-32% bf right now)so I figure why not gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.
your bf % is lower than mine fwiw........... by like.......... 10%...............

your progress is lit though

i have nothing to add here i was just reading this 'cause it's interesting
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-9-2018, 08:39 PM   #22
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
your bf % is lower than mine fwiw........... by like.......... 10%...............

your progress is lit though

I started off at like 40-45% haha. But yeah thanks! It's hard work but I'm a hard worker
Old 08-9-2018, 09:10 PM   #23
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syhto View Post

@mahou, DOMS = delayed onset muscle soreness, like when you workout, then suddenly 2 days later you are sore af
I need to give this a try because my back does get a little sore after doing deadlift sessions. And yeah...it always happens on the second day.

Quote:
also if you're trying to lose weight I wouldn't even worry about getting that much protein, it would be easier to just lose most of the weight. As long as you lift often and heavy I promise you won't lose that much muscle and you will still gain strength, you'll probably still gain muscle
I will have to disagree on this.
I think for novices that are starting out weight lifting, the protein intake won't that much of a problem because you will be burning fat and gaining muscle at the same time. The novice phase is the only time that this will happen. That's why I said most supplements are kind of worthless anyway, because the average joe blow on the street is just trying to meet a basic standard of fitness. Unless you have horrible genetics, I think most people can pull off a nice physique in about 6-7 months of hard work. Around a year and a half, your body should look completely different by a landslide.

When I start to cut, I really do like to increase the protein because it will help preserve muscle that I have gained during my bulk. I think the biggest fear of most lifters is that you can potentially lose muscle during your weight loss because of a low protein intake. When your body burns fat, it will grab anything that it can...(i.e water, fat, muscle) so that it can function. In a nut shell, gaining muscle naturally is pretty fucking hard unless you're on the needle.

Quote:
(sorry i know i should probably stay in my hula hoop but i am kinda into this stuff and i just wanna help sry if its rude and feel free to ignore my opinions/advice completely)
It's not rude at all. I actually do like to see your perspective on things.
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 08-9-2018 at 09:13 PM..
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-9-2018, 11:51 PM   #24
FirstMaple8
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to FirstMaple8 Send a message via AIM to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Yahoo to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Skype™ to FirstMaple8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post

:P same

Last edited by FirstMaple8; 08-9-2018 at 11:51 PM..
FirstMaple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #25
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

Well, if you're losing fat you're going to lose some muscle, that's just how it is. It feels like going against the natural order of things I guess. But this is from a womans perspective, where muscle gain makes less of a difference when you wont have any real definition till you're like 17% BF anyways. However I know people that fast and vegans as well, if you work out you can probably maintain the muscle you have but it will be difficult to gain.

So on second thought yeah, you're right. I'll have to look into that a bit more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 08-10-2018 at 06:07 PM..
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #26
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

I feel like I've been gaining muscle as I've been losing weight as I can lift way more now than I could when I started and I've lost 30 pounds since I started weight training.

I think it just depends on how much day you have when you started. I don't think someone who's 18%bf and went on a cut will gain much if any muscle as someone who's like me, a fatass
Old 08-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #27
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

I actually bulked for 6 mos before I started cutting this time around, and my results were far better because I gained so much muscle in that 6 months, and my gains have continued to increase even while I'm losing fat. Altho I am on a small scale rn, like .5lbs of fat a wk but still lean muscle mass is increasing

all I do is eat big around workouts and don't eat much at all when I'm not working out but all whole food

I guess that's true, it makes a difference where you're at BF% wise. When you do a real cut like for competition tho you lose some muscle, I am just not that down to the wire. If I was cutting to like 12% I would def see muscle loss I think but I'm at 16.5 and don't see much reason in going to 12

I WILL say though that the rate at which I'm gaining muscle slowed down quite a bit (altho strength gain did not) anyways this is kinda off topic my b
Quote:
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 08-10-2018 at 06:53 PM..
Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 PM   #28
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

the reason eggs > whey is because of digestion time. the easier a food is to digest, the faster it will; therefore, the food will have a shorter "half life".

in other words, you can think of chewy meat as extended-release protein.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 PM   #29
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

also, if sleep = good, then by extension sleep aids = good:

* suppversity.com has a lot on the benefits of melatonin. http://slatestarcodex.com/2018/07/10...anted-to-know/

* I'd also like to add diphenhydramine -- the active ingredient in every grocery store sleep aid in the US.

* sleep masks help for when you wake up in the morning and the sun is in your eyes. https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Mask-Be.../dp/B01NAVICK5

* I've heard sleep earplugs help too, but I think this would just cause me to stay inside my own head and ignore my alarms.

maximizing sleep has been a game-changer for me, because I have abnormally high energy levels (Reach can corroborate this, as can anyone else who has met me IRL) and am naturally awake for longer than most people. taking sleep aids requires me to calculate the time I am going to sleep much like I would eating while taking adderall -- i.e., I can't just listen to what my body wants to do -- but it's worth it.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:27 AM   #30
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

hell yeah sleep aids are great
gimme some ambien
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #31
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

I'm fond of valerian root as well for sleep0
Quote:
Old 08-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #32
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
I feel like I've been gaining muscle as I've been losing weight as I can lift way more now than I could when I started and I've lost 30 pounds since I started weight training.

I think it just depends on how much day you have when you started. I don't think someone who's 18%bf and went on a cut will gain much if any muscle as someone who's like me, a fatass
It really just depends on what stage of training that person is and that persons genetics.

Quote:
I'm fond of valerian root as well for sleep0
Better than melatonin? Melatonin makes me groggy af.
AND watch anime.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #33
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

if i dont take melatonin with like 8 full hrs to sleep it makes me groggy
valerian im ok with 6 hours and I feel like my sleep is more restful than w/ melatonin
Quote:
Old 08-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #34
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

if y'all read the article I posted about melatonin, it covers the grogginess. you're supposed to take it several hours before you go to sleep. this requires you to be calculated about when you go to sleep, but if you can be calculated about calories, this isn't much of a stretch.

also: creatine does work, but it works by allowing the muscles to lift more and thereby create something like muscle memory for growth in that direction. this is the impression I get from the literature I've read anyway. at any rate, creatine mono is cheap enough in bulk that it's a drop in the bucket to not use it.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #35
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Thoughts on weight gainers?
AND watch anime.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #36
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

largely not useful
* digestion time matters a lot. you want a slow release of nutrients (steak is slow release, sugar is the fastest) unless you've -just- worked out, and even then milk is sufficient for that.

* because digestion time matters so much, the calories from weight gainers will be poorly absorbed.