Old 05-7-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Macau Underground [63 or 65]

Playing this song many times, the song feels a bit harder than a lvl 63, the awkward patterns, and relentless jumpstream makes this file feel more like a lvl 65 to me.

When I mean awkward patterns I especially meant the occasional 123 123 patterns and to give a more concrete example at around 680, there is a nasty little burst that is just very awkward to hit.'

Relentless jumpstream, means there is very little time to recover. The NPS is pretty constant and even has occasional 32nd and (12) (34) bursts.

The file feels very similar to ''makiba'' in terms of awkwardness and difficulty, yet makiba is a level 66, granted makiba has a little higher constant NPS, the bursts of ''macau underground'' make up for it in difficulty.

Also it feels a bit harder than vertex beta. Vertex beta is a stamina oriented streaming file, with the occasional thrill and anchor. But the thrills and the anchors are all seperated parts of the song. VB is roughly the same NPS as MU and even though the files are very different I feel the akward patterns in MU and the bursts and jumpstream make it harder.

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 05-9-2014 at 09:37 AM..
M0nkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Macau Underground [63 or 65]

Thread approved.
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'll have to disagree on this one. Though the patterns are a bit tricky, there is a strict rhythmic pattern that the mini 16th sections follow, and with a bit of repetition, it's very easy to pick up on. This file cannot be compared to Makiba as they are two completely different styles [Makiba is dense-ish jumpstream which requires stamina and consistency]. The 32nd bursts are negligible since they flow pretty well with the stuff around them.

When you compare it to other 65s such as Southern Cross, CORETOON, Camel, Feldschlacht, Bus Rides With People, and Guitar Sound, Macau Underground just doesn't seem to measure up. All of the above listed have tricky sections that can prove to be "fuck uppy" if you're not well practiced. On the other hand, I can see how Macau would be easily sightread AAAd by an experienced player whereas the others would be much less likely.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Seems a bit of a nitpick to me. I vote 64 for Macau because the 32nds are pretty jumptrill-friendly, though I agree with the THAT ONE BURST part.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I agree with rushy on this one. It is tricky, but doesnt really measure up to the other 65's.
Old 05-9-2014, 06:23 PM   #6

Macau Underground is not a 65, not even a 64. The chart, while challenging with short yet dense jumpstreams, does not provide the "wtf" factor or speed many other 64/65s have.

VB and Caprice have troll one-hand trills.
Lawn Wake IV, Purple, Try to Star, Foam Born (A) The Backtrack's ending and Slaytronic require speed.
spanish and Twelve have bursts.
Soulcrusher and Lorem Ipsum (both 65s) have massive difficulty spikes.
etc.

There are many more spiky songs in the 64-65 range that would easily be mid-high FMO if their hardest parts were all over the song instead of a single place. Macau Underground does not have that distinction. I find it quite comparable to BF2014, around the same BPM and structure.

Last edited by ___________; 05-9-2014 at 06:38 PM..
___________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Yeah i think its fine at 63, reason being even if it is tricky(took me quite a few tries to aaa) its just not THAT hard. It would need more bursts, speed spots, tricky stuff to even bump it to 64.

Southern Cross took me YEARS to aaa, CORETOON i still dont have aaad, Camel i have a booflag i think, Feldschlacht, Guitar Sounds and Bus Rides With People i nailed after years of trying as well. Macau didnt even take a day.