Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk

Old 11-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
daida
Banned

Default TIFU after playing on and off for over a decade.

My little brother Noah, who just turned 15 3 days ago(bless his heart) just told me that you can add a new engine that adds songs to FFR. I had no idea after playing the same shit for over a decade.

TL;DR I learned I was fucking old today.
daida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: TIFU after playing on and off for over a decade.

Bless you Noah. Have fun playing the same shit because the ffrmania guy never updates his engine.
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
daida
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
Bless you Noah. Have fun playing the same shit because the ffrmania guy never updates his engine.
Hahahahahahaha, ah man. What are the chances that you would pop in here? This is golden. Thank you for all the new stuff. I mean, after a decade of playing stock FFR? Not that I'm complaining but it's a breath of fresh air. It's like I just started playing all over again. I guess I'm excited about a beatmap goodie-bag that was just dropped into my lap vs. having to wait for little tidbits of beatmaps that are released. Guilty as charged. I'm still grateful xD

Last edited by daida; 11-17-2020 at 08:42 PM..
Old 11-19-2020, 12:56 AM   #4
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
Old 11-19-2020, 01:00 AM   #5
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Wait until he tells you about this game called Stepmania

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:12 AM   #6
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
wait until etterna is shown off

oh boy
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:52 AM   #7
daida
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Yo, what the fuck. I'm not that old xD Stepmania was fun for the little bit I've played it. I just suck at rhythm games in general. Which baffles me because I've always been instrumentally inclined including percussion. I gave up Osu as well, FFR has always been here for me though. I just enjoy it the most out of all of them I suppose.

Update: Gave Etterna a shot, it feels like Stepmania. I kind of can't explain it but I hit a note on FFR and it feels like I'm actually hitting something. I kind of can't explain it, I dislike the feel of it even though the soundpacks look awesome. I wish I knew how to explain what I mean. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not getting any kind of beat recognition when I hit notes. I'll have to fiddle around with the options a bit, this is going to sound short-bus special but I'm used to how chunky FFR feels. Etterna felt smooth as hell and it felt like I wasn't "hitting" the notes. Most people would love that, apparently my brain does not. I'm still trying to accept the R3 engine. Going to keep giving it a shot though, I like the way it looks and the selection seems neat.

TL;DR Tried Etterna and it feels like the equivalent of wearing soggy socks and underwear to start the day with the rest of your clothes being dry. Going to work at it and see how it goes @XelNya thanks

Last edited by daida; 11-19-2020 at 03:28 AM..
Old 11-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #8
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daida View Post
Yo, what the fuck. I'm not that old xD Stepmania was fun for the little bit I've played it. I just suck at rhythm games in general. Which baffles me because I've always been instrumentally inclined including percussion. I gave up Osu as well, FFR has always been here for me though. I just enjoy it the most out of all of them I suppose.

Update: Gave Etterna a shot, it feels like Stepmania. I kind of can't explain it but I hit a note on FFR and it feels like I'm actually hitting something. I kind of can't explain it, I dislike the feel of it even though the soundpacks look awesome. I wish I knew how to explain what I mean. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not getting any kind of beat recognition when I hit notes. I'll have to fiddle around with the options a bit, this is going to sound short-bus special but I'm used to how chunky FFR feels. Etterna felt smooth as hell and it felt like I wasn't "hitting" the notes. Most people would love that, apparently my brain does not. I'm still trying to accept the R3 engine. Going to keep giving it a shot though, I like the way it looks and the selection seems neat.

TL;DR Tried Etterna and it feels like the equivalent of wearing soggy socks and underwear to start the day with the rest of your clothes being dry. Going to work at it and see how it goes @XelNya thanks
The reasoning for Etterna feeling off, is that the timing windows work differently. FFR is a set of frames where as Etterna/SM are millisecond based.

In short, the transition between the games is very off-putting at first. The other being that generally - content creation on Etterna is very different.

Figured since I tossed the joke in, an explanation might be important.

Just never fucking play osu. FUCK osu.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #9
ositzxz369
Venetian Snares stepper
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daida View Post
I kind of can't explain it but I hit a note on FFR and it feels like I'm actually hitting something. I kind of can't explain it, I dislike the feel of it even though the soundpacks look awesome. I wish I knew how to explain what I mean. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not getting any kind of beat recognition when I hit notes.
Is it b/c the arrow receptors don't glow when u hit the notes? If so, wat noteskin r u using?
ositzxz369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #10
daida
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
The reasoning for Etterna feeling off, is that the timing windows work differently. FFR is a set of frames where as Etterna/SM are millisecond based.

In short, the transition between the games is very off-putting at first. The other being that generally - content creation on Etterna is very different.

Figured since I tossed the joke in, an explanation might be important.

Just never fucking play osu. FUCK osu.
Thank you for the explanation. This was my "issue" or "baffling wtf is happening right now" moment. I find it kind of neat, content-wise. There are so many settings I just don't understand, resembles Stepmania in that regard. I'll figure it out as I go

Like you said, it is very off-putting. My safety box is FFR lmao. I feel very comfortable here.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:04 AM   #11
daida
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ositzxz369 View Post
Is it b/c the arrow receptors don't glow when u hit the notes? If so, wat noteskin r u using?
This was another issue I had, I need to see if I can find more. I would assume or hope they would have some you can modify or download. I tried the one you start out with and I wanted to vomit. I tried... Divide... Okay I Googled some noteskins just now and I'm happy.

I wish I would have used the forums after all these years, I've been here for 2-3 days and you've all been a wonderful help.

Thanks again